“I felt like a chickmunk!” A Jan/Feb 2019 TR UPDATED 6/2 x 2 COMPLETED!

AHHHH HAMILTON! I'm so glad you liked it! It's definitely one of my favorite musicals.

As for your trip, I'm glad the drive went so smoothly and that you found so many gluten free options.

I also LOVE the royal rooms. My family and I stayed in one during our last trip to Disney and we thought they were so cute!

I'm so excited hear about your first park day!

So I have of course heard about Hamilton and knew I had to see it when it went on tour but I only first listened to the soundtrack last week (after debating if I should go in blind or listen first) and now it’s stuck in my head!

It’s always a gamble with gf options so I usually carry snacks with me just in case but I only needed them once or twice this trip!

Thanks for reading! :flower1:

Day 1 Part 2: EPCOT

Now normally our first park of the trip has to be Magic Kingdom but let’s just say this wasn’t the first time we moved the trip up a day so we already had the next two days planned at MK so we decided to go to Epcot to check out the Festival of the Arts. We haven’t been to any other Epcot festivals but if we had, I think this still would be our favorite.

upload_2019-2-25_19-14-21.jpeg

Our first stop was the Pop Eats booth. We both got the Sous Vide Poulet Rouge Chicken Roulade with Apples and Sage served with Warm Brie Fondue, Blueberry and Beet Gel and garnished with Apple and Beet Chips (GF). This was delicious! It’s the only non-seafood gf dish at the festival (I think). I was glad we each got our own and didn’t share!

upload_2019-2-25_19-14-35.jpeg

Next Donnie went to the Deconstructed Dish booth and got the Deconstructed Reuben with Shredded Corned Beef, Thousand Island Dressing, Pickled Red Cabbage and a Rye Curl. I think I read I could have had this without the rye curl but I’m not really a Reuben fan so I didn’t care. Donnie said it was pretty good! He originally thought he would get the BLT but didn’t like the way the poached egg looked. After that we did the paint by numbers thing. The cm handing out the paint made sure to give Donnie a color that was up high. This time we got to paint 6 squares. I just don’t get why people take so long here. I couldn’t get a good picture because there was so many people taking their good old time. I’ve been in a park for less than an hour and I’m already annoyed with people. Not surprised.

upload_2019-2-25_19-14-48.jpeg

We went to future world next and rode Figment and Nemo. Both were only 5 minute waits. After Nemo we checked out The Seas and caught the tail end of a demonstration they were doing with dolphins. There was this thing on the glass with a picture of a certain type of fish then on a different part of the glass there was four pictures of fish then the dolphin had to identify the one from the first picture. Okay that was a bad explanation but it was cool.

upload_2019-2-25_19-15-19.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_19-15-41.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_19-15-59.jpeg

Up Next: Hollywood Studios to see Toy Story Land for the first time!

Last edited:
Day 1 Part 3- Hollywood Studios

So in the car this morning I was looking for a fp for today and was lucky enough to find one for Slinky Dog Dash so we were off to Hollywood Studios via the boat.

upload_2019-2-25_19-19-34.jpeg

On the way to HS we decided to look for an adr and found one for 50s Prime Time less than an hour from then at 4:10. I like eating at the senior citizen dinner time cause I like to give my stomach plenty of time to digest before going to sleep. Before this trip I had 50s as my favorite restaurant but I didn’t like it much this time and cancelled our future adr for here (spoiler alert). I got the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. It was really good but the green beans were hard and flavorless and the red sauce gave me acid reflux later (not the restaurant’s fault and a recurring theme in my life). Donnie got the vegetable lasagna and he loved it! He got a clean plate club sticker that he proudly displayed.

upload_2019-2-25_19-20-31.jpeg
(Sorry no actual food photos, I still was trying to get into the habit!)

The food was good so why did I say we wouldn’t go back? The service. It was fine but we never get a server that is super into the shtick. We were told to set the table and I was told to not use my walkie talkie but that’s really it. There was a server for the section next to us who was super into it. She marched a few kids back to the kitchen to clear the table. Maybe it’s cause we are two adults? I dunno but I feel like part of the price of the meal is the experience and we come back hoping for a good one and we haven’t ever had a great one.

After dinner we had some time to kill before our SDD fp. We went into One Mans Dream and Donnie tried to talk me into meeting Mike and Sully but I’m awkward with characters, especially ones that you can’t really communicate with. And the wait was long so we decided to watch the movie which we had never done. I actually really liked it!

We headed into Toy Story Land for the first time. Everything was so cool! I was a terrible trip reporter and took no pictures of the land. But all the details were amazing, we especially liked the big foot prints. Donnie mobile ordered a chocolate hazelnut tart from Woodys Lunchbox and enjoyed it.

upload_2019-2-25_19-21-54.jpeg
(Look, a food picture!)

We still had a while to go before our fp so got in a 35 minute line for Toy Story Midway Mania. It pretty much took that long but we rarely go through standby for that ride so didn’t mind it. Donnie got best in vehicle and I did bad like usual.

upload_2019-2-25_19-22-43.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_19-22-58.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_19-23-13.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_19-23-29.jpeg

It was finally time for SDD! What did we think? Donnie loved it! I liked it! I get motion sickness easily so the couple times it has the little hills made me a little sick.

upload_2019-2-25_19-24-15.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_19-25-31.jpeg
(I wear my sunglasses at night....)

PhotoPass cm had us look up and point but had us point in the wrong place so we just look stupid.

upload_2019-2-25_19-26-45.jpeg

We decided we still had lots of vacation left and didn’t need to pack a ton of stuff in so we left after SDD. On the way out Donnie saw a pro bowl player (the pro bowl was in two days in Orlando) with a vip tour guide. We waited 15 minutes at bus stop, checked out the gift shop, bought our refillable mugs, got drinks and was back to the room around 8.

*quick side note about the mugs- people must NEVER buy them out of pocket because literally every time we have purchased them they tell us to use our magic band. And I’m like no I’m paying with credit card and they look at me like I’m crazy. Anyways for our 10 day trips they are totally worth it for us. Donnie drinks tons of soda on vacation (not at home). And I like to get some every so often too but I really like mine to grab water in the morning and at night. (However I really enjoyed hot chocolate in the past and they got rid of the machines and now have nestle packets which I couldn’t have cause they said may contain wheat.)

Up Next: Day 2: Checking into FQ, MK, Epcot, and Disney Springs!

What a great first day! How lucky to score a SDD Fastpass! I agree with 50’s the food is good but our service the last two times has been lack luster for both the role playing and actual efficiency!

We saw a few Pro bowl players and NFL staff at AKL!

Before the trip I went on my find me gluten free app which gives reviews of restaurants for gf food. There was a bbq place literally down the road from the hotel with amazing reviews. All the meats and sauces were gf. Pretty much the only thing that wasn’t was buns for sandwiches and Mac and cheese. I got a bbq chicken loaded baked potato and it was delicious! Donnie got a spare rib sandwich and it was bone in which was right on the menu but he gets nervous when ordering food and just picks the first thing on the menu that looks good. He said it was good but like how do you eat a sandwich with bone in it? (Sorry, I was still trying to get into the trip reporting habit so no pictures)
Nothing like finding those unexpected restaurants with really great food!

We decided on a royal room at Port Orleans Riverside. We have always stayed at FQ but the royal rooms looked cool. We were in room 9906 which was on the third floor. We had just one bag for tonight so we didn’t have to drag everything in.
That would be fun for one night!

We haven’t been to any other Epcot festivals but if we had, I think this still would be our favorite.
I've only ever done F&G but Festival of the Arts looks amazing!

On the way to HS we decided to look for an adr and found one for 50s Prime Time less than an hour from then at 4:10. I like eating at the senior citizen dinner time cause I like to give my stomach plenty of time to digest before going to sleep. Before this trip I had 50s as my favorite restaurant but I didn’t like it much this time and cancelled our future adr for here (spoiler alert). I got the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. It was really good but the green beans were hard and flavorless and the red sauce gave me acid reflux later (not the restaurant’s fault and a recurring theme in my life). Donnie got the vegetable lasagna and he loved it! He got a clean plate club sticker that he proudly displayed.
Sweet luck with the SDD FP and ADR at 50's! It's amazing what pops up last minute!

After dinner we had some time to kill before our SDD fp. We went into One Mans Dream and Donnie tried to talk me into meeting Mike and Sully but I’m awkward with characters, especially ones that you can’t really communicate with. And the wait was long so we decided to watch the movie which we had never done. I actually really liked it!
It's funny, I am fine with the fur characters but awkward with the face characters. I love One Man's Dream....always a must do!

*quick side note about the mugs- people must NEVER buy them out of pocket because literally every time we have purchased them they tell us to use our magic band. And I’m like no I’m paying with credit card and they look at me like I’m crazy.

Sounds like a great time at Epcot! And how lucky to snag a SDD FP for that day! Also sounds like a nice time at DHS. I'm sorry you didn't love 50s. I have never been there but want to try it at least once one day!

Enjoying your report! May I ask where you all stayed at the hotel for the first night? And off what interstate it was? Always looking for a place where people have stayed when we drive from Nashville.

What a great first day! How lucky to score a SDD Fastpass! I agree with 50’s the food is good but our service the last two times has been lack luster for both the role playing and actual efficiency!

We saw a few Pro bowl players and NFL staff at AKL!
Yea we were excited to get on SDD the first day! 50s has been disappointing our last couple trips too so it might be a few trips before we try it again

Nothing like finding those unexpected restaurants with really great food!

That would be fun for one night!

I've only ever done F&G but Festival of the Arts looks amazing!

Sweet luck with the SDD FP and ADR at 50's! It's amazing what pops up last minute!

It's funny, I am fine with the fur characters but awkward with the face characters. I love One Man's Dream....always a must do!

Yes I love the app. I’ve been able to find lots of restaurants, even locally, that I love!

Festival of the Arts is my favorite but we are thinking of trying Food and Wine this year so we will at least have something to compare it to!

Being a party of 2 pays off when it comes to same day fp and adr!

Sounds like a great time at Epcot! And how lucky to snag a SDD FP for that day! Also sounds like a nice time at DHS. I'm sorry you didn't love 50s. I have never been there but want to try it at least once one day!
I would definitely give it a try! Just like with anything else we might have been unlucky with a cm who wasn’t into it. The food is always really good, though!

Enjoying your report! May I ask where you all stayed at the hotel for the first night? And off what interstate it was? Always looking for a place where people have stayed when we drive from Nashville.
:welcome: We stayed at Home 2 Suites in Richmond Hill, GA off of 1-95. I’m terrible with geography and directions so not sure if that is on your route but we recommend it! The hotel itself is super new, just opened in November so still very clean. The room is huge and modern, and there’s several places to eat nearby. It was exactly 4 hours from Disney (well, at least from Port Orleans)

Following along now and all caught up! :)

Hi everyone! Hope everyone’s been having a good week. We went to see Hamilton over the weekend and it was amazing! My new favorite musical!

Amazing! I love Hamilton! I finally saw it in DC last August and just thought it was incredible.

I’ve been in a park for less than an hour and I’m already annoyed with people.

:laughing: Sounds like me! I love the parks but the all the people really get on my nerves.

PhotoPass cm had us look up and point but had us point in the wrong place so we just look stupid.

:rotfl:That's actually really funny.

I love the princess room and can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Following along now and all caught up! :)

Amazing! I love Hamilton! I finally saw it in DC last August and just thought it was incredible.

:laughing: Sounds like me! I love the parks but the all the people really get on my nerves.

:rotfl:That's actually really funny.

I love the princess room and can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

:welcome: Thanks for being here! I have listened to the Hamilton soundtrack two more times since we saw it. Which is basically like listening to the whole show since there’s like maybe 10 minutes of non-music dialogue.

I’m glad someone feels me about people. I have a shirt that says “I can’t people today” and I should have worn it everyday of the trip. Did I mention I work in customer service???

Hi there! I'm joining in, can't wait to read your first TR!

If no, then Satu’li Canteen

Excellent choice!

Pineapple upside down cake with dole whip

Oooh, so many people rave about this, I'm going to have to try it

We have a fur baby named Pepper

No pictures of Pepper?!?! I need more details!

upload_2019-2-19_19-6-14-jpeg.383472

Ugh I'm SO JEALOUS. Someday I will see this darn show.

I will go ahead and post our travel day which is always boring, sorry!

I LOVE travel day posts!

The best detail in the room!

And the second best!

So in the car this morning I was looking for a fp for today and was lucky enough to find one for Slinky Dog Dash so we were off to Hollywood Studios via the boat.

Great score! One of the best feelings is snagging same-day FPs for those hard to get attractions

Hi there! I'm joining in, can't wait to read your first TR!

Excellent choice!

Oooh, so many people rave about this, I'm going to have to try it

No pictures of Pepper?!?! I need more details!

Ugh I'm SO JEALOUS. Someday I will see this darn show.

I LOVE travel day posts!

The best detail in the room!

And the second best!

Great score! One of the best feelings is snagging same-day FPs for those hard to get attractions
:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

He loved the pineapple upside down cake. I unfortunately couldn’t try it since I’m gf but it sounds really good!

Pepper is not very photogenic! He has a sixth sense for when I’m about to take a picture. I could have my phone in my hand for 20 minutes but as soon as I open my camera app he acts a fool.
upload_2019-2-27_9-6-41.jpeg
There’s about 20 other pictures in my camera roll from this photo shoot and this is the best one!

You must see Hamilton. I didn’t think I would like it but knew how hyped it was. Then I listened to the soundtrack and fell in love.

I like reading travel days too especially cause most people fly and we drive so it’s interesting how that all works. I’ve only flown once in my life.

Unfortunately we didn’t have a ton of luck with same day fp because of the awful mde app!!

:welcome: Pepper is not very photogenic! He has a sixth sense for when I’m about to take a picture. I could have my phone in my hand for 20 minutes but as soon as I open my camera app he acts a fool.
View attachment 385223

One of the dogs we had when I was younger used to do that too! I think he was scared of the camera but even if I tried to sneak a picture it’s like he always knew and was giving me the weirdest face.

One of the dogs we had when I was younger used to do that too! I think he was scared of the camera but even if I tried to sneak a picture it’s like he always knew and was giving me the weirdest face.
It’s so funny how they just know! Mine usually turns his head so most of my pictures are of him sleeping.

Sooooo we may have just booked our next trip. I think it was just my last post I was saying we weren’t going back til next January but then we started talking. And we know how that goes. We usually do a smaller trip later in the year somewhere local, or at least closer than Florida. Then we talked about going to NYC to see a Broadway show or two. We have also been wanting to go back to Niagara Falls. But when we really started thinking about how much it would cost, we decided it wouldn’t be that much more to just do another Disney trip. #disneymath

upload_2019-3-1_8-5-23.png

Honestly though, gas wasn’t too expensive, we won’t be staying on the way down for a shorter trip, and we already have our ap. So this morning I looked at rooms for September. Our home away from home, French Quarter was sooo expensive even with the room only discount. Then I saw a really good rate at All Star Movies. I honestly didn’t think I’d ever be interested in a value resort. Not cause I’m a snob or anything, but the sheer size of them scare me. I’m used to my tiny FQ, and values seem so huge. But it’s literally almost $1000 less for 6 nights and if it’s between a value and not going at all, we are choosing a value!

It is booked but nothing is set in stone. Part of the deal is that we both meet some personal goals so we have to focus on that. And we also need to make sure we can get the time off work, but we both really wanna make it work so fingers crossed! Back to the tr...

Day 2- Saturday January 26th- Check in to FQ, MK, Epcot, Disney Springs

My notes for today start by saying I didn’t feel good last night. I have anxiety which makes me nauseas, which gives me anxiety. It’s a vicious cycle and I apparently went through that cycle last night so we woke up late today, around 9:20. We were going to check into FQ today.

*Side story* So last year we threw a day on at the beginning of the trip at FQ and they only had King beds available (the rest of our trip was queen bed) and we got room 4126 (I think) and it was the closest room to the main building and the bus stop and basically it was amazing. This year we booked a King room specifically to request this room or at least similar. I purchase touring plans so they can fax my request for me and I requested building 4, first floor.

So we get to FQ around 10:45 and the line to check in is ridiculous. People also kept walking up to the concierge, who was helping with check in, without waiting in line. Our room isn’t ready yet and I ask about paying for the room with gift cards. She said we were already charged on our credit card. It was a room only reservation and I could have sworn we didn’t get charged for that until like the second to last day? Oh well, she refunded the room and then we did all the gift cards. (We got a lot for presents and then bought a lot with our Target red card with 5% off) The cm says our room will probably be “in this area” while pointing to buildings 1-3 on the map. I internally freak out but Donnie says don’t worry til we get our text. We have an adr to get to so we head out to the bus stop.

We were going to Magic Kingdom for Be Our Guest. I sometimes like just a basic turkey sandwich so that’s what I got. Donnie got the French dip, French onion soup, and French fries. He was in a French mood apparently. We preordered so got to pass the line. Donnie picked the worst table for us to sit at! We sat directly under the Belle and Beast statue. There was this family that spent, no exaggeration, 10 minutes taking pictures in front of it. With flash. We started photo bombing them because we were so annoyed.

upload_2019-3-1_8-8-23.jpeg

upload_2019-3-1_8-8-39.jpeg

upload_2019-3-1_8-9-8.jpeg

While we were eating I got the room ready text and we were in room 1326. I was so frustrated. I looked at the map and building 1 is the farthest on the one side, 3rd floor, and the room was at the end of the hall. That wasn’t gonna work for me. I got zero of my requests. At this point I do more research and realize there’s only 3 king rooms on each floor in each building so there’s not many options. We head back to FQ so that I could nicely ask for a different room. I tell the cm what I requested and that we got “like the farthest room possible” he got a bit of an attitude and was like “your in building 1, the farthest one is actually building 7” I can tell he is annoyed with me but he still called to get me a different room. I said I would be fine with two queens if we could get building 4 but he refused to tell the room assigner that. I didn’t even care that the king room is more expensive. So what did we end up with? 5126 which is at least the first floor. We parked our car and got out all our luggage and dragged it over and our Magic bands won’t open the door. After the cm made a point to tell me he had to activate them to the right room. Luckily you can open the room with the app now and that worked. A quick call to the front desk got the Magic bands to work.

Coming up: After a frustrating morning we head to another park!​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!