“Unborrowing Status & Dilemma

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
Spoke to MS today and mentioned unborrowing. The very kind agent said she keeps asking when this option will be discontinued. As of today, they are still allowing the unborrowing With no determination when it will cease.
This definitely makes it challenging when your AP extension goes to 5/19 and your UY is June but all points were borrowed into 2020. I could wait and see but, if I wait too long the unborrowing might not be an option. Or, cancel 2020 and lose OTU points and take the small partial AP refund. We simply can’t go while mask wearing is still a requirement as my baby would be 2 by then and she’s definitely not going to keep one on. It’s so hard to make the call either way.

It definitely is going to be a difficult one. If you cancel and points will be returned, you can still borrow 50% of your contract.

While not ideal, it could still give you a trip down the line?

We simply can’t go while mask wearing is still a requirement as my baby would be 2 by then and she’s definitely not going to keep one on. It’s so hard to make the call either way.

FWIW, we didn’t think ours would either. We did a test run at home...it didn’t go well. Then a test run at a pick your own farm and it stayed on the whole time. Quite pleasantly surprised. We have a little more time so we’ll do more test runs, but so far it isn’t anywhere near as bad as we thought it would be.

Can you ask MS if they will refund the OTU points given your situation with a toddler who won’t wear a mask?

Can you ask MS if they will refund the OTU points given your situation with a toddler who won’t wear a mask?
I might try again. I asked twice for other reasons and was given the standard answer. We bought 17 of them so, that’s a decent chunk. We thought we were in the clear because the original wording said 3 yrs old but, it was changed without any notice. Plus a bulk was purchased last November for a June trip that we changed with the closures.

I’m still holding with MS but, they are definitely helping with the OTU points. So, we are bidding farewell until 2021 or even 2022. I hope everyone else has as great of an experience as I did in resolving this huge dilemma.

June 22
I'm trying to get through to MS to confirm borrowed points are still being returned--pretty sure this is the case, but today is a new day :duck:

1) Couldn't cancel via website (dreaded 7D page every dang time)
2) Chat unavailable
3) Can't reach member services via phone (busy, rapidly redialing on two separate phones)
4) E-mail sent last week regarding some questionable point reallocation on my account, still not replied to (sent Wednesday, so still a bit early)

::deep breath::

ETA: 109 phone call attempts later I'm now listening to Moana :tilt:
Quoted wait time is 65 minutes as of 1038 PDT, will update this post

Last edited:

June 22
I'm trying to get through to MS to confirm borrowed points are still being returned--pretty sure this is the case, but today is a new day :duck:

1) Couldn't cancel via website (dreaded 7D page every dang time)
2) Chat unavailable
3) Can't reach member services via phone (busy, rapidly redialing on two separate phones)
4) E-mail sent last week regarding some questionable point reallocation on my account, still not replied to (sent Wednesday, so still a bit early)

::deep breath::

ETA: 109 phone call attempts later I'm now listening to Moana :tilt:
Quoted wait time is 65 minutes as of 1038 PDT, will update this post

Today is a horrible day to do this. The site, reps are all tied up with the park reservation system. If you don't need a response just yet, I'd probably try back June 24 or 25th. All the frustrated people today will be frustrated tomorrow as well. By the 3rd or 4th day (24th or 25th) the volumes should start to go down. On the 26th I expect another spike from AP folks and the same on the 28th from the rest of the world.

Today is a horrible day to do this. The site, reps are all tied up with the park reservation system. If you don't need a response just yet, I'd probably try back June 24 or 25th. All the frustrated people today will be frustrated tomorrow as well. By the 3rd or 4th day (24th or 25th) the volumes should start to go down. On the 26th I expect another spike from AP folks and the same on the 28th from the rest of the world.

My issue is that the return of points to the original UY may be rescinded at any time, so I'm compelled to call sooner rather than later. I'm actually hoping it wasn't rescinded already as it is not being stated on the phone hold announcements.

Okay update: call answered at 1133, speaking w/ MS now.

Okay, this is a strange one here, but I asked to cancel my November 23-26 VGC reservation (booked with a combination of August 2020 UY and borrowed August 2021 UY points) but wanted to confirm that points were still being returned to their original UY... the MS CM that I spoke with seemed confused, said no.. why would they be returned?

Then she said something like "I'll allow it" and I asked "is this case-by-case or a blanket policy?" and she responded with "Well since your reservation isn't affected by the COVID closure, I don't see why it would be returned."

In the end, she submitted the form to return the points, but I thought it was an odd exchange.
@Sandisw have you heard of anything like this, or am I in the wrong here?

On that note, if anyone is stalking or on W/L for an 11/23-26 VGC studio, you're welcome (Maui voice).

DVC MS assists with park reservation stuff?

Okay, this is a strange one here, but I asked to cancel my November 23-26 VGC reservation (booked with a combination of August 2020 UY and borrowed August 2021 UY points) but wanted to confirm that points were still being returned to their original UY... the MS CM that I spoke with seemed confused, said no.. why would they be returned?

I just did this last night for a 08/01 to 08/10 DVC reservation. I also mentioned that I had used OTU points for this reservation. Without me asking he offered to reallocate those into my December reservation [AKV Value studio made at 11 month mark] and then asked if I would like to use the transferred points I had in my account for the December reservation also. In other words, he put back all my borrowed points for both the August and December reservation. He was awesome to work with. It is such luck of the draw when you call MS.

In other words, he put back all my borrowed points for both the August and December reservation. He was awesome to work with. It is such luck of the draw when you call MS.

It really is, my end result was what I expected (that borrowed points were being returned), but my MS CM made it seem like a granted exception, not a current rule/practice.

Then she said something like "I'll allow it" and I asked "is this case-by-case or a blanket policy?" and she responded with "Well since your reservation isn't affected by the COVID closure, I don't see why it would be returned."

In the end, she submitted the form to return the points, but I thought it was an odd exchange.
@Sandisw have you heard of anything like this, or am I in the wrong here?

On that note, if anyone is stalking or on W/L for an 11/23-26 VGC studio, you're welcome (Maui voice).

I have not heard about a change back for borrowed. I do know that once opened, they would not allow late banking or extend points that have been moved into a trip that is now during an open time.

If it has been removed from the message, I wonder if they are indeed rescinding it?

If you think about it, they have to allow borrowed points to be returned for as long as the borrow cap is in place. Otherwise, a cancellation or modification causes borrowed points in your current use year that you are not allowed to use due to the cap.

On a side note I cancelled a fall reservation and then noticed that Grand California had dates available for a 1BR that would use barely more than 50% of the borrowed points. I booked it, then called member services to try to purchase otu points to bring the borrowed total down to 50%. The cast member said that since the reservation was made with points borrowed prior to the restriction, it would be grandfathered in. Even though I specifically told her that I had booked it earlier that day. She added a note to the reservation that the points were grandfathered in, and then returned the remaining points.

We cancelled a two week stay and the points were returned to the use year and now to rebook can only get 50% back to borrow and can’t get the two weeks any more.Such a pity!

We cancelled a two week stay and the points were returned to the use year and now to rebook can only get 50% back to borrow and can’t get the two weeks any more.Such a pity!

Was this return to the original use year today?

Was able to cancel our August and have the borrowed points returned to their use year today as well. Thank you for the information, it was so helpful! Cannot get there with the Canada/USA border closed. Not holding out hope that the border will open by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter