1/3 of older millenials share their salary info with their co-workers

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/one-third-older-millennials-share-salary-coworkers-132549341.html

I found this article interesting. I have always been on that mindset that what you make is a private thing and was in the camp of it being "taboo" info to share, especially with co-workers. Apparently (at least according to the survey in the article), it's becoming more of a common thing to discuss. And, I guess I never thought about it in this way, but the article also mentions that discussion of salary with co-workers can be helpful in understanding where you stand when it comes time to discuss salary with management.

Your thoughts? Do you share your salary with co-workers? With members of your family? Do you think it's something that should be taboo or should be openly discussed? Just curious.

It is in workers best interest to share, employers best interest that it is not.

A friend of mine is a dentist who employs 4 women. He just had a big kerfuffle in his office when one of the millenials started telling the others what her pay grade was. I was taught that's something not discussed. No matter what it will cause problems in the work place.

Yes, but mainly problems for the employer ;)

I see it as a bad bad idea.

You got 5% and someone else got 10%? Very few people are going to figure that they just need to work harder for a bigger raise.

Most are going to want a detailed list of why they didn't get 10%. And then they are going to question every thing on the list. Bosses don't want to have to put up with it. And I don't blame them.

I've worked at numerous companies where it was against policy to discuss such matters and it could be a reason for termination.

You got 5% and someone else got 10%? Very few people are going to figure that they just need to work harder for a bigger raise.

Most are going to want a detailed list of why they didn't get 10%. And then they are going to question every thing on the list. Bosses don't want to have to put up with it. And I don't blame them.

I've worked at numerous companies where it was against policy to discuss such matters and it could be a reason for termination.

Yes and then they come in to talk to you and specifically ask about why someone else is getting paid X. You have got to be kidding me!

Yes, but mainly problems for the employer ;)
Exactly. Which is why most companies try to make it taboo or even have formal policies against it. But it is always in workers best interest that it be discussed.

And the one fired for discussing wages with the other employees.
Oh there are myriad ways to convey the message without formally discussing them and violating company policy.

I don't think it's always a bad idea to share. And not everyone gets raises based on working harder than the next one. Sometimes favorites get played or you have someone at the top that looks you out and advocates for you. When you share you can tackle the unfairness at times.

I never share my salary because i know I'm paid well for what I do and others aren't. So instead of causing drama I keep my mouth shut.

I'm an older millenial. My salary is available to the public. I haven't discussed it with my co-workers exactly, but it's not a secret or up for negotiation. No OT available.

I don't know if DH's exact salary is available, but he works as law enforcement, so it is based on a paygrade (aside from OT).

Eh, if it's otherwise a decent fit between employer and employee I can't see that happening in most places. Seems short sighted.

At least in professional jobs.

I’m a Gen-x’er, but I think this is a great trend. My mother worked in a job for years and was of the generation that never discussed salary or financial matters. At the end of her career she found out she made 25% les than men in the same position with less experience (and my mother always had stellar reviews). She was heartbroken and I remember her saying if only I had known I was so underpaid and undervalued I could have done something or left.

If someone makes less than someone else managers should be able to defend it and say yes Bob your raise was 5% less than Sue because she worked on x, y, and z and you did not. It should be part of annual performance reviews if you’re a good manager.

True but if the employee holds valuable skills and client relationships then you want to keep them even if they are irritating.

If that isn't the case then you don't care if they leave or you fire them anyway.

BTW I'm in my 40's (i.e. NOT a millennial) and worked professionally in HR - thus my job is to advocate for the employer's best interests.

Yes and then they come in to talk to you and specifically ask about why someone else is getting paid X. You have got to be kidding me!

Like I said, there are no advantages for the employer. Well maybe if it inspires competition between employees to up their game in some cases.

Gen X (born in 1968) and I have discussed salary with friends since our first jobs after graduation.
Now we discuss our holiday bonuses - because it impacts where we will vacation that year!
My mother was a principal in the Chicago public school - so I could always look up her salary. My DH is topped out at an airline - and they all like to talk about how much overtime and doubletime they make in addition to their wages.

However if someone wants to keep that private its fine with me.

I have never understood why financial matters are considering"taboo." It's just money, not your deepest, darkest secrets. My sisters and I discuss our incomes with each other. I always knew growing up how much my dad made, my parents know our incomes, etc. I find that the "secrecy" often leads people to make unwise financial choices in order to "keep up appearances." It's a LOT easier to be able to say "sorry, I can't afford that" when people know how much you make.

My husband's pay is public knowledge. Anyone can look it up. As is one of my sisters (public school teacher). You can actually search that database by NAME and get an exact salary.

What good comes from keeping it secret?

In most cases, employers cannot prohibit employees from discussing wages with each other.

Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act ensures the right of employees to discuss their compensation among each other. Section 8 makes it unlawful for employers to prohibit discussion.

“The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because such employee or applicant has inquired about, discussed, or disclosed the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.”

So even if an employee is fired, it's still a problem for the employer who has most likely broken the law. That obviously depends on if the employer is reported of course

I have never understood why financial matters are considering"taboo." It's just money, not your deepest, darkest secrets. My sisters and I discuss our incomes with each other. I always knew growing up how much my dad made, my parents know our incomes, etc. I find that the "secrecy" often leads people to make unwise financial choices in order to "keep up appearances." It's a LOT easier to be able to say "sorry, I can't afford that" when people know how much you make.

My husband's pay is public knowledge. Anyone can look it up. As is one of my sisters (public school teacher). You can actually search that database by NAME and get an exact salary.

What good comes from keeping it secret?

Are you saying that people should share their salary so other people don't become irresponsible with their own money?

I think it is long past time that taboo dies, so I find this to be an encouraging trend. As far as I'm concerned the expectation that no one will discuss their salary only benefits employers, never employees, and it particularly disadvantages women who are less aggressive in salary negotiations and more likely to face some degree of pay gap compared to their male peers. But I understand why employers want to keep it taboo, so they can continue to pay less based on negotiating ability and other personality traits rather than according to skills or what the employees bring to the table.

Are you saying that people should share their salary so other people don't become irresponsible with their own money?

No. I'm saying one thing often leads to another. I don't think people need to walk around telling everyone how much they make, but I don't get the secrecy if someone asks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter