1 piece of luggage??

Another vote for Ex Officio travel underwear! DH loves it - less bulky and quicker to dry. I have gotten it from TravelSmith - they have 25% off a couple of times a year. There is an Ex Officio store at Seattle airport and once we struck gold as they had a bunch of stuff on clearance!

I am not a huge fan of doing laundry on trips, but for 7+ days, will do at least underwear. We have a travel clothesline - I think Rick Steves recommens a rubber one and it is great. I also carry either laundry powder or a tube of detergent (have only ever found the tubes in Europe). Luckily for me, DH kind of loves doing laundry on vacation......

Travel Fashion Girl is another website to get lost in and has a pretty active Facebook group - seven pages is nothing!

+1 for the Ex Officio. Saxx has a style called Quest that also works well, at least for the guys. My wife and I have collected travel clothing over time. It tends to be a little expensive but holds up and saves lots of weight and space. Look for stuff to go an sale at the end of the season and the end of the year especially! I also like Royal Robbins and they will often have web sales.

We'll do laundry on trips, usually the first day of arriving in a new hotel which gives things time to dry. Either sink washing or in a wash bag. The individual Tide packs or Woolite packs can be found sometimes or a low suds camping detergent. Along with a travel clothes line, a flat rubber sink stopper can be handy!

RE: garment folder:

Ooooh I really like this also. Thanks for sharing. Dang it I'm tempted to buy this also! :D

A folder was my first piece of luggage organization devices! It's been many places in many bags and is a little worn and battered but still going strong (it's more than 10 years old). The folders are not as "soft" as a packing cube as they have (at least mine does) a fairly rigid piece of plastic in them forming the bottom and another that is placed along with the clothes. Mine has one that has instructions on how to fold stuff printed on it. Handy! The large size, which I have, doesn't fit so well in the backpack I use as a carry on but I would think the medium size would fit in most.

Last edited:

A folder was my first piece of luggage organization devices! It's been many places in many bags and is a little worn and battered but still going strong (it's more than 10 years old). The folders are not as "soft" as a packing cube as they have (at least mine does) a fairly rigid piece of plastic in them forming the bottom and another that is placed along with the clothes. Mine has one that has instructions on how to fold stuff printed on it. Handy! The large size, which I have, doesn't fit so well in the backpack I use as a carry on but I would think the medium size would fit in most.

Thanks for the info! I broke down and ordered a medium one last night. I figured with long-sleeved shirts in the winter this would be ideal.

Got my garment folder today. This thing is really cool! I'm glad that the docs show it can be used alongside packing cubes so I don't feel like a nut for buying both in a week! :D

My eBags ultralight packing cubes arrived today! So far my only disappointment is in the packaging. The package came damaged with resulted in a dark spot on the top mesh of one of the bags. Not a big deal, but a little disappointing!

I started packing for our trip to WDW, and at first I wasn't sure I would like them. I played around with packing different things in different sized cubes until I came up with a system that I liked. We'll see how the rest of the packing goes, but I do think I'm going to be a fan of packing cubes now! Everything is so much more compact! I also like that I'll be able to quickly unpack just by putting the packing cubes in the drawers in our room. I bought the Ultimate Packer 7 pc set (which came with 1 large, 2 slim, and 4 small cubes) and then I bought 1 large cube separately. I'm only about halfway packed, but if I don't use the second large cube I might pack it empty and use it like a laundry bag.

The next test will be, when I'm done packing my one piece of luggage, will it be too heavy?? I'll report back again when I'm done!

ExOfficio underwear update: They're pretty darn comfortable and don't seem to ride up. They are definitely thin, but not flimsy, and I'm sure would dry fast if washed in a sink on a trip. They did come with a ginormous tag I had to cut off. I'm a 10-12 pant size, and wear large underwear usually, and the large and medium both seem to fit well. I'm guessing the large would just stretch to fit more?

Second update, and sorry for the TMI, but panty liners do NOT stick to these underwear. LOL It literally lifted off and migrated. So, anyone looking at investing in these should know in case that's a deal breaker. Or, if I just need to change feminine product brands, someone let me know. Other than this odd issue, I'm really liking them, and the medium and large really didn't seem to fit any differently.

Last edited:
If you choose your luggage wisely, then it's not difficult. I have a 32" bag for checked luggage, a 22" bag to carry-on, and a decent sized backpack. You can easily fit 2 to 3 weeks worth of clothes in the one large bag. I usually keep my camera gear in my backpack, along with one or 2 outfits, and then will either check the large bag or carry-on the smaller bag. If you're going for somewhere more than a week, then often it's easier to buy supplies at your destination than bringing them on. Also try to keep electronics to a minimum.

Now that I've leveled up my clothes packing I'm wondering what people in here use for cable/device organization. I was thinking about getting this but haven't made up my mind yet.

http://www.bubmcase.com/en/productView.asp?id=603

20161005103071167116.jpg

I use something very similar and it comes in handy. I keep one with a micro usb for the Kindle, two lightning cables for the iPad and iPhone, a headphone jack/charger adapter for the stupid iPhone X that has no headphone jack port, a charger with enough ports to charge everything and a portable charger just in case.

bubm.jpg

I use something very similar and it comes in handy. I keep one with a micro usb for the Kindle, two lightning cables for the iPad and iPhone, a headphone jack/charger adapter for the stupid iPhone X that has no headphone jack port, a charger with enough ports to charge everything and a portable charger just in case.

Thanks! I think I'm going to order one today.

We'll do laundry on trips, usually the first day of arriving in a new hotel which gives things time to dry. Either sink washing or in a wash bag. The individual Tide packs or Woolite packs can be found sometimes or a low suds camping detergent. Along with a travel clothes line, a flat rubber sink stopper can be handy!

We just use a bit of shampoo for laundry in the sink.

I love to travel light. I love the challenge and plan my packing weeks in advance. I once did 5 weeks in Australia with a carry-on bag (22") and a tote bag/purse. Just means doing laundry each week. I love, love, love my Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45. It does not have wheels which is good for the weight and it has backpack straps and that puppy is so easy to carry, even with my poorly back. Packs like a dream--even my size 10 women's shoes and my XXL clothing. The secret is that Tom Bihn makes his packing cubes to fit exactly his bags. I have Eagle creek, Travelon, E-bags, Rick Steves, and Kiva packing cubes and none of them fit neatly in any of my rolling bags. Once you get a couple of pairs of shoes in those rolling bags, nothing fits flat.

I have some Tom Bihn pouches for cables and stuff. Their 3D organizer cube is great for toiletries. I also like, and kinda prefer, Red Oxx bags. I have a couple small bags from them. Both are excellent. A little expensive but you'll never need to buy another bag! Both have a life time warranty even.

And +1 on losing the wheels! You don't realize how much weight and space those take up! I've also never had an airline give my wheel-less bag a second glance while my wife has been asked to gate check her bag with wheels.

Last edited:
I have some Tom Bihn pouches for cables and stuff. Their 3D organizer cube is great for toiletries. I also like, and kinda prefer, Red Oxx bags. I have a couple small bags from them. Both are excellent. A little expensive but you'll never need to buy another bag! Both have a life time warranty even.

And +1 on losing the wheels! You don't realize how much weight and space those take up! I've also never had an airline give my wheel-less bag a second glance while my wife has been asked to gate check her bag with wheels.
I get the less weight, but there is NO WAY I'm giving up my wheels! I've drug a wheel-less bag across too many airports to EVER do that again! I *LOVE* my spinner carryon!! Mine is international carryon size, and I rarely get asked to gate check it.

Sayhello

I get the less weight, but there is NO WAY I'm giving up my wheels! I've drug a wheel-less bag across too many airports to EVER do that again! I *LOVE* my spinner carryon!! Mine is international carryon size, and I rarely get asked to gate check it.

Sayhello
I cannot lug a bag around like a duffle or a shoulder bag--those suckers get heavy fast, but I can do a good backpack with no internal frame. i still have a load of wheeled bags but more and more, I find I am reaching for my wheel-less Tom Bihn.

I cannot lug a bag around like a duffle or a shoulder bag--those suckers get heavy fast, but I can do a good backpack with no internal frame. i still have a load of wheeled bags but more and more, I find I am reaching for my wheel-less Tom Bihn.

I think a lot depends on body type. I am tiny and backpacks that would work as carryons engulf me. I’ve been looking for years for one that would work but it’s tricky. The right size for my back is the little kid version! I love my international size roller bag though. It fits in the tiniest overhead bins and under seats with ease. Plus the organization is top notch.

Well I'm back from WDW and my first experiment with packing cubes, and I am a believer! It was a breeze to pack and unpack in the hotel room with my ebags cubes. I will probably invest in more cubes in the future, I just have to decide if I want to buy the same ones, or different ones.

I also found my luggage to be lighter. I don't know if it was because I packed smarter, or because of the way I packed, but it was great. Maybe packing for a future ABD won't be so bad after all! Thanks again everyone!

I still have to purchase containers for liquids (I'm looking at gotoobs), and now I'm interested in those cord organizers @OhanaCuz and @calypso726 posted! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!