14 month old & fireworks

cinjam

When will we go again???? Why in April, of course!
We will be at WDW next week w/DS (14 months old). We want to take him to Illuminations, but I am afraid the fireworks may be too loud for him. He sometimes cries with loud noises - but not all the time - we can't figure out exactly what upsets him. We are always able to soothe him very quickly.

I don't know if I should just pass on the fireworks all together or just give it a shot - he may surprise us -- he does that quite often :D -- just today he had no reactions to an AMAZING thunder & lightning storm that had ME holding my ears. I guess what I am really afraid of is that once we are in the park & the fireworks begin we will not be able to make a quick escape if he becomes upset.

How did you introduce your toddler to fireworks?

At 14 mo my DS was very afraid of Fireworks. He didn't really enjoy them untill he was school age. I guess it's too late for my sugestion to try out the fear factor at a local park or ball game. I would remember that in making my decision about taking him ,that at that time of night at WDW he will be extra tired and extra sensitive to everything. If you decide to go for it. Try to pick a spot that will allow you access to the exit and remember that the monorail stops duuring the fireworrks if this will be you mode back to the resort. Be aware also that ALOT of the shows have very loud noises and music in them. Pick your shows and seating with this in mind.Have a blast.

Jordan's mom

He is 23 months and we just went to MK. When the fireworks started he liked seeing all the lights and wasn't bothered but as soon as the loud noises started he got upset...we were near the main entrance and were going to leave the park..but once we pulled him away to where he could hear them but not see them he was better ( still wasn't crazy about them) Weird but I think for my son it's the combination of BOTH the sounds and the lights that freak him out. He can handle them individually....Just a thought...

Naomi

You may want to try viewing some of the fireworks from a distance at first. You can see a great many of the fireworks for illuminations from the bridge on the boardwalk near the beach club. you can also see the fireworks for the MK in the parking lot at the contempory or the beach at Fw. Just a few suggestions to try.

My DD has always liked to watch fireworks but doesn't like the noise...from the time she was very little she has always positioined my hands over her ears...and when she wants she lifts them from time to time.... The length of time I actually spend covering her ears has shortened as she has gotten older...

We just came back from taking our 12 month old to WDW. He had liked fireworks at home, but we had always seen them from quite a distance. He hated the noise level at Illuminations, but once I covered his ears he was basically fine. I would stand back from the general viewing area if possible or see if there is a restaurant with a window from which you can view them in the World Showcase (I know that you can from the upstairs restaurant at France but you may not want to take him there).

Have fun! We did!

Nancy

My DD turned two last May while we were in Disney. Illuminations was a nightmare. It was REALLY LOUD and she was screaming and holding her ears within a minute. We had to run through the crowds to the entrance and didn't get her calmed down until we got back to the WL. If you think your little one will be scared, try being close to the exit just in case.

My son hates loud noises and has always covered his ears during fireworks. The experience at Illuminations may be different though, because there is so much music and so much more to keep his interest than just the exploding fireworks. It really is something to see (one of my favorite things in the "World") and it is worth a try. Maybe if you watch from the viewing area by the docks near Mouseworks you can walk away for a few minutes to calm him down.

Thank you so much for all your replies & suggestions!

We are going to try viewing at a very far distance and we'll go closer if he seems ok.

Now we just have to get past the roar of the plane engines at the aiport (we fly down on tuesday) - and there's no getting away from that!!

Thank you again,
Cindy

You may want to bring cotton and put it in ds's ears to deafen the sound of the fireworks. It might help.

Have fun and good luck ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter