14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...MARDI GRAS-MINIONS-HARRY & MORE...MARCH 2019 TR

You can’t see some of the pictures??? I just looked back and I can see them all.......

Anyone else not see some pictures?? Not that I’d know how to fix it anyway.......lol........

Post 451 is a picture of the bag.......I always giggle as it’s not a well known brand at all and everyone says who??? Lol.....doesn’t bother me as I like unique........

Yes, the food on offer from the pop up places haven’t been thrilling at all.......wouldn’t bother again. Although we have decided not to do Mardi Gras next year.........it was too cold at night and some days too....and you know I love the heat!!! And the parade itself isn’t enough to bring us there that time of year.......so we decided to extend the May trip into maybe just over three weeks.......

I love hot sauce and add it to almost everything......but never thought on adding it to gravy......lol.......but pepper yes, love a load of pepper in most dishes!

Bread Box was good, and we’ll definitely go back........:thumbsup2

I wish we could handle the heat like you can! We left on April 6th, which was the hottest day at 88, we were *almost* glad we weren't in the parks that day.

ETA: I see the photos on my phone and on my computer

I wish we could handle the heat like you can! We left on April 6th, which was the hottest day at 88, we were *almost* glad we weren't in the parks that day.

ETA: I see the photos on my phone and on my computer

Lol......I hear you!! We were surprised how hot 84 felt like one day......and we were glad we weren’t in the parks all day......

Glad you can see all the pics......:thumbsup2

SATURDAY MARCH 16TH

When we woke up this morning, we turned on the tv to see it was to be the last hot day for a few days, till Thursday actually...….so we did plan to have another park day......when I got an email from a lady we met years back..…..

(Actually I have two friends I think of when I see this funny.....yes, I mean you Linda M :D :hug:)

Anyway, when Kim and I met, I was being annoyed by someone who was drunk and asked me what my name was...….I replied Anastasia Beaverhausen…….she overheard and laughed and we became friends ......….and she was in Orlando for a few days with work and had said she`d email if she could get some free time......and she had some this morning, but it would be a quick meet...….well, if you`re my friend I`ll go to the ends of the earth if I can......so we said we`d meet her later in Mount Dora around 11.30ish or before....….

We got up and showered quickly and looked out to see another beautiful day...we were loving this...…

Once we were ready we headed over to RP for breakfast and we always enjoy this little walk.....and it kind of wakens us up a little to be honest...….

We see Samuel one of the folks we adore and is moving to another department, we are so happy for him, but will miss him dreadfully..…..so we have a really good chat with him this morning, and everyone else of course....and this is a wonderful part of the lounge.....is how friendly the staff are too.

We had a strange conversation though with one of the staff downstairs who said back in February someone had been asking all sorts of questions about us to the staff, who we were and did everyone know us.....very weird. It also happened, we were told someone had told staff in the lounge we were friends of theirs....have no clue who they were!!!! If any of my friends were going I`d know....so not sure I like the idea of folks saying they know us when they don't. So, it was just odd.

And talking of weird, well maybe not weird, more a lovely coincidence......as we came out of the elevators we ran into Holly and Hank..….or @AtTheRoyal as Holly posts on here now.

The reason is it weird is that we have accidentally run into both of them a good few times.....first time was a few years ago when we spoke as they went in the line for the HE, following year we met under the Hulk, and last year we met just after the Macy`s parade......we didn't know each other was there.....and weirdly we had been on the way out when we decided last minute to go around where Scooby usually hangs out to get some pictures......and we had met then...…..pure coincidence.

So to come out of the elevator and meet them without knowing again they were here is just amazing!!! The visit in September we had hoped to meet for a cocktail, but it hadn't transpired, so we thought, ok, lets make a plan....so what about tonight...….perfect!!! So we arranged to meet in Strong Water for drinks later.....we had thought we might do the Wok experience so we`d meet after that......it was so nice to see them again!!!

So, we set off and walk back over to Sapphire and back to the room to pick up my ipad to take as I can receive emails if Kim can`t make it after all...….which is likely...…

We go get our car and are off before we know it...….it takes around an hour to get to Mount Dora, and weirdly every time we go, we go a different way...….still, we get to see other areas we`d never see......but now we know the best way as we asked our friend and he told us.....so no more detours through areas we aren't sure of!!!!!

It`s not a pretty journey.…...not much to see, especially this way......but soon enough we get there only to discover they are having a special event day...…..the place is mobbed!!!!

There isn't a parking spot within the town or even on the outskirts......we have never seen this town like it.....but it did look fun....there were food stalls and little events all around....although they did have Irish bands playing the bagpipes.....enough to make me run!!!!

We managed to find a place where we could get wifi…...and I logged in to my email.....where sure enough, Kim couldn't get away from her conference......she was full of apologies, but these things happen.....and I knew we`d catch her in June when she is over from Europe for a family visit......I replied but it didn't get to her till much later, and she was so worried we`d waited ages for her......it was all good.

So, as we weren't going to get parked anywhere near here today, we set off back to Orlando...…

By the time we got back we were both hungry, but didn't want a huge meal......so we thought about a few places and then decided on Hooters.

We like it in here, staff are friendly, and food is good!!!! We walk in and there are a couple of families in.....a couple of guys at the bar waiting for takeout and us...….we get a booth and order strawberry lemonade for me and mango lemonade for Tom......and then we try and decide what to have that isn't too much food...…..

We eventually decide to share half pound of peel and eat shrimp and 10 boneless wings, but with the hottest of the sauces they serve.....she asked if we were sure...….we were sure!!!! We hoped.

i-QKRq2L5-XL.jpg

i-PPf4hKh-XL.jpg

The lemonade is pretty good in here......not as nice as Cheesecake Factory`s one, that is gorgeous.....but this one is pretty darn good too...…

We pass the time chatting and our waitress is very chatty too......a few families have left now, so it is a bit quieter......she tells us it`ll get much busier later...…there is always a pleasant atmosphere in here and very family orientated despite the image that it has. We love it anyway...….

i-KkhKwQn-XL.jpg

Our food arrives and it looks delicious...….Angela also brings us extra napkins and asks if we want some water......we say yes, maybe we should......and she tops up our lemonades at the same time.....

The shrimp were beautiful......just as nice as the ones we had at the other place.....very plump, firm and tasty...…..

i-Km86qKr-XL.jpg

Then we saw our waitress and one of the others watch us...….we hadn't tried the wings with the lethal sauce yet...……

i-H5nNLFD-XL.jpg

Then we did.

I have to say they were pretty darn hot!!!!! We didn't expect them to be just as hot as they were, as we are often disappointed with claimed spice levels over here at times...….

But this was as promised!!!! And we did finish them...…...they were nice. Would I get the hottest sauce again......probably not......but maybe two down from the hottest level would work...…

I thought we should get some kind of award for finishing it......er, no......No Man V Food challenges here....

But, we had enjoyed our light lunch...…...and we got a well done from one of the other waitresses who thought we`d never eat them!!!! lol...……

I had promised a friend of mine I`d buy her a tee shirt if we came here again......I guessed she was getting it to annoy someone......she`s that kind of gal...….so we picked her up one and hoped it would be the right size and thanked our waitress again and headed out to the car...…..

i-ZfhnKWN-XL.jpg

It was getting very dull now, the sunshine had disappeared and it didn't feel cool at all, but just not as hot as earlier...…..I guess the change was here...….

Our next stop was to the Porsche Showroom that had opened up near the Mall at Millenia on Vineland Ave....it was fairly new and we had always visited the Mercedes Showroom when we are here. We always managed to pick up some different key chains for example that they don't sell in the UK...….

So, as Tom and I were defecting from driving Mercedes after many, many years, Kyle will still have his Mercedes though, so, we are purchasing a Porsche, the SUV type not the sleek sports car type....and we wanted to see if they had any unique merchandise that wasn't for sale back home.

As soon as we went in, we saw this...…..

i-ZCSbQrK-XL.jpg

This is the GT2 RS which is the most track focused version of the 911......formerly known or still is known as The Widow maker…….people driving it beyond their abilities...…..usual story.

But it is an amazing machine......and not the car we`re getting!!!!

They didn't have the version of SUV we are getting but we still had a good look all around while we were there......and no, we didn't see any unique items to purchase...….

We spent around an hour talking to one of the sales team and we talked about the differences in cars designed for Europe, the UK and the American market......it was very interesting.....and nice man too who knew we weren't even considering purchasing but still took the time to chat...….

i-5dVHKcL-XL.jpg

Then, it was back home..…..and yes, it had dulled down a little...….you could feel the change ahead that was for sure......such a shame as it had been so gorgeous...…

i-9C75R3d-XL.jpg

We get back in time to Facetime Kyle....we had missed him a lot......and it was so lovely chatting to him and as it had been a few days since we had spoken we both had a lot of stories......which is always lovely to hear his.....and he was doing great......he had plans for Saturday night, so we didn't keep him too long.....but we did arrange to chat again in a few days.....

We had a quick snooze, and slept quite well.....I think this is the most we have ever snoozed for years......I think getting up so early and staying up fairly late was catching up this time......but we had no one to please but ourselves.....and a good snooze in the afternoon is the best!!!!!

We freshened up and changed, and decided not to go back to RP for the Wok experience....we wanted to eat in Strong Water...….but we were sure Holly and Hank would have already eaten, so we would go early and have some food there.

As we walked in Fernando the manager greeted us warmly again and took us up to one of our favourite tables in the far corner...….it`s a popular corner......we chat for a while and we order our first drinks of the evening......and we ask Fernando if they have the special of the pork chop on and he is delighted to say, yes they do...….fabulous.....we will share one. I do say I`m not keen on pork like that, but if I don't like it I`ll order something else...….it is for two and is easily shareable...….

If I didn't mention it earlier, there are limited numbers of this special as it takes days to prepare......and we are looking forward to it as we know Chef Carlos is very proud of this dish. And it sounds delicious.....

i-hSmtXPW-XL.jpg

We get our drinks and await the delight that is the special for the new season...…..

Tom has The Fountain of Youth and I have my favourite Rum Revival......both are beautiful...….and we do enjoy them...…but, I`ve yet to find a cocktail in here I don't like!!!!

i-xwTNCSK-XL.jpg

i-gK4KbcS-XL.jpg

About ten minutes later, Fernando appears with Chef Carlos following close behind with his latest creation and it is impressive to see, and nice he brings it out personally...….we had met him before when we were introduced to him on a previous visit..….very nice man.

We are impressed with the presentation of the two and a half pound of pork chop dish and everything looks lovely......it comes with rice and beans, fried plantain and a sauce made from orange and honey with something else I cannot remember.....Carlos had said it wasn't necessary but some folks like a sauce......I told him all we would do was squeeze the lime over it....he said yep, that's the best way...….and he was right, it didn't need the sauce...…

i-mn9h8R5-XL.jpg

i-RTmCMFV-XL.jpg

I have to say......as someone who isn't totally fond of this kind of pork......I loved it!!!! I knew Tom would enjoy it but I hadn't been sure.

It was tender as any steak we have ever tasted...…..and full of flavour like we had never tasted before......and the plantains were new to me too.....never tried them, and thoroughly enjoyed them......the rice and beans I didn't think I`d like at all as I don't eat any kind of bean, but the rice was lovely...….we did try a tiny bit of the sauce, and it wasn't needed as Chef had said...…..the lime enhanced the pork so well....and I hadn't ever tried pork with lime before.

We literally almost stripped it to the bone...….it shares well as it is huge....I guess the pictures don't fully show the size it was.....but the platter it was on betrayed the size...….

We were full. Not bursting full, but full.....and when asked I said no I absolutely didn't need to order another dish....I had enjoyed it as much as Tom did...….

It was still early for Holly and hank, so we sat back and then Fernando appeared with a dish of the pastelitos for us...….now this was a treat again!!!!

And strangely enough we did manage to finish it between us......a lovely dish that is full of flavour and not too heavy...….

i-ZfRZppB-XL.jpg

We had sat back and were chatting when I saw them both come in.....we waved and they had seen us...…lots of welcomes and hugs and we all sat down to chat and both studied the menu as to drinks...…

I ordered a rum marathoner, and Tom ordered the Last Typhoon......yes, his had the flower in it......and Holly and Hank ordered Rum Mules......a very good choice...….

i-rqd9rMT-XL.jpg

i-xgq843q-XL.jpg

Again, same with Lori we forgot to ask someone to take a picture of the four of us together......it never even crossed my mind.....

But, we did get a few of the three of us...…

i-4tp73vP-XL.jpg

We again chatted the evening away, getting to know each other and generally having a lovely time with lots of laughs and shared experiences...……

Later we ordered what was our final drink of the evening......another two rum mules for Hank and Holly, I chose another Rum Revival and Tom went for a rum flight...….

He does enjoy these and tonight Lenny was on who is such a funny guy....and really knows his rums......he came over to ask Tom what his likes and dislikes were...….and worked out some choices from that......Tom asked him if he had tried the Scottish Rum yet, he said he hadn't but would come over as we said we`d love his opinion on it......he said he had seen it and heard Fernando and the others talk about it and was surprised they even did a rum!!! lol.....yep...….

When he came back with Tom`s selection they chatted about them for a bit, then he set off and soon came back with a shot of the rum to try......he did say he thought it was going to be rough by the nose, but when he tasted it, he was surprised how smooth it was...…..we were glad he liked it...….

And as is usual, Tom preferred the third rum over the first......all were nice though, but he had his favourite and it was one he would ask for again.

We knew there was a rum they stocked Fernando had told us about, that was over $100 a shot...….not sure we`d ever have that, but maybe one day as treat for Tom...…….if it was a special birthday!!!!

i-ShrhLQ9-XL.jpg

We chatted some more and have a lovely time with both, but I can`t remember what time it was but we headed out of the restaurant and Tom and I stopped to say goodnight and thank you to Mike and Fernando...….we truly had enjoyed the evening in here again.

And hoped we would be able to do this again sometime......at the rate we bumped into each other, I was sure we would!!!!

After we said goodnight to them both, we went to our room, turndown had left double water tonight for us.....she must have been a mind reader as the water we had in the fridge was diminishing...….we were very grateful to them.

I popped it in the fridge and we put the tv on and watched a little something or other.....I swear I very rarely remember what we watch while we are there...….

It was after midnight when we put the tv off and wandered through to the extra comfy bed...….and again, we had no idea what to do tomorrow......but we didn't plan to do much...….

Tom got his pork chop!!
I remember our night at Strong Water, and folks at other tables ordered this monster piece of meat. It looked delicious, and I'm glad it lived up to the expectations!!
And those yummy drinks too...Cheers!

Tom was still sound asleep but, could somehow sense the change in temperature that I brought back in with me ......and he just said.....don't even think about it as I tried to creep over to his side of the bed that was like a furnace......the heat just radiated from him.

I do that to Josh too :rotfl: Although sometimes if he's sleeping he doesn't notice. I'm always so cold and he never even needs a blanket!

Back out into the main thoroughfare we head towards Poseidon`s Fury.....not to go on it, oh no it`s dreadful.

Same :laughing:

we never got to Sarasota for example, time just got away with us as usual..

The same thing happened to us! We intended to drive to Sarasota in Dec, but never made it there. Everything closed so early that we couldn't get there unless we left first thing in the morning and the day we were going I woke up with a headache so that didn't happen.

As the dragon roars and fire billows out.....one woman beside us, right underneath the flame, screams her head off as she wasn't expecting it...….it starts a Mexican wave of screaming around us, the woman beside her gets such a shock she screams..........two kids follow suit then another seems to scream in sympathy...……and they were loud!!!

That's hilarious :rotfl:

The sign writer is in the sky trying to post a message that will apparently save our souls...….it must be aimed at Disney as the writing is back to front.....I guess he thinks with Universal Dark side folks, it might be too late for us to be saved...…..I often wonder if these religious people could do more good with the money that it must cost to fly up there and spray the sky with silly messages.

I agree. I saw one from Epcot once, but it wasn't really a message it just said "Jesus", but it took the skywriter so long that when he was done most the word had already faded :laughing:

Tom got his pork chop!!
I remember our night at Strong Water, and folks at other tables ordered this monster piece of meat. It looked delicious, and I'm glad it lived up to the expectations!!

lol.....yes, it was rather huge!!!! And absolutely was as good as expected......like our night there, everyone looks though when it`s delivered to your table......so we did feel a little conspicuous......but so good!!!

Oh gosh yes, those drinks are always yummy!!!!

I do that to Josh too :rotfl: Although sometimes if he's sleeping he doesn't notice. I'm always so cold and he never even needs a blanket!

Same :laughing:

The same thing happened to us! We intended to drive to Sarasota in Dec, but never made it there. Everything closed so early that we couldn't get there unless we left first thing in the morning and the day we were going I woke up with a headache so that didn't happen.

That's hilarious :rotfl:

I agree. I saw one from Epcot once, but it wasn't really a message it just said "Jesus", but it took the skywriter so long that when he was done most the word had already faded :laughing:

lol....yes, you wonder why they bother as like you say, most of it disappears before the word is finished....definitely think that money could be better spent somehow.....

Glad it`s not just me who`s always cold....although now I`m at that age if I`m not freezing cold.....I`m boiling hot...…:rotfl: You have a long, long time before that though!!!

We definitely plan Sarasota one day again......but things happen don't they...….oh yes that screaming incident was funny!!! The sheer terror on her face was painful, but so funny!!!!!!

SUNDAY MARCH 17TH

Today we planned a very lazy day......but we were still awake as early as ever......we do plan to sleep late some days and saunter into the parks or wherever really late.....but we never do. And although we never want to do EE, we still usually like to beat the crowds if there are any...…..and when the weather is blisteringly hot, it`s nice to be ready to leave the park around midday before it becomes nuclear hot...….

Today we wouldn't have that issue. According to the weather we were to get a high of hopefully 70F. That would be considered tropical back home for this time of year, but here...….it`s cold...….well, cold for me who is officially a hot house plant type of person.....or affectionately known as The Lizard...…

So, we thought the parks for this morning, and the first words Tom said were, should we try butterbeer again?

We really don't like butterbeer......we have tried them, but although if we had to have one it would be frozen, it`s not something we like at all. We usually have pumpkin fizz or lemonade in there......so I was surprised he had mentioned it this time...….well, ok then.....I`ll have another try today...…...odd thought for first thing on a morning...….

We think we may go back to sleep, but we don't again...….and up we get and into the shower and as always doesn't take us long to get ready...….

Tom goes down to Dutch Trading and gets another selection of pastries for breakfast, with our shared large latte...….nice!!!

We half everything and they are all lovely......the glazed doughnut although simple, is delicious......as is everything else though!!!

i-cTxgJJf-XL.jpg

Breakfast was lovely, unusual just having something so sweet so early...….but we did enjoy it, and looking out the window from our table it didn't look fabulous outside at all......grey.....that was going to be the colour of the day I think...…..

We still popped some sunscreen on before we set off, just in case......it is so easy to get burned and as we are so careful generally, it would have been silly not to take a few minutes to apply it today. And who knew....maybe the sun would make an appearance....

As we headed out we met our housekeeper coming in, we love how early they do our rooms.....always nice to come back knowing it`s already been done.

We go down to the boat and only wait a few minutes, although it does seem very busy again today.....it isn't quite 9am yet, so peak time I guess...….but we get on the first boat and set off to the Studios.

We do our usual step through the store and have a look again for little gifts we can take back for friends kids and grandkids, and there is always plenty to choose from.....and old favourites that have been there for years.....like the magnet note pads you stick on the side of the fridge and the same pens that have been for sale for years......but we always buy some...…..

As we head out the side door we see a marching band come toward us...…...not something you usually see....I`m not really a school band person at all......but they seemed to be good.

i-m2K3pMN-XL.jpg

Although we were heading the opposite way today, we saw the minion line was 65 minutes but there was no one in the EP line....well, 3 people walked in front of us.....so we were straight on with no wait....we barely even stopped to be scanned...…I thought I saw someone I knew ahead of us and kept looking as I was sure I knew them......I was about to wave as I realised who I thought it was.....then I realised it wasn't them after all.....glad I didn't wave..….guess we`ve all had that happen on occasion

We enjoy the ride and head off round to where Scooby hangs out...….we don't see Scooby today although Velma and Daphne are wandering around but not for photo ops...…we do treasure the picture we got a few years ago with the whole gang and there was hardly anyone around...….we got loads!!!! But, no pictures today...…

I do love the theme of this street....very pretty and colourful……

i-rBKwZjm-XL.jpg

It`s too early for the Horror Make up Show today, and if you`ve never done it, you should.....it`s funny and you get to see clips of some good old fashioned movies of yesteryear and some more recent...….and it is suitable for kids.....

i-GRSMLdP-XL.jpg

There some cool pieces of paraphernalia in the windows and inside the room before you go in to the actual show......

i-cGMw5Cf-XL.jpg

Mel`s Diner is a place we ate once and that was enough many years ago...….the food we had wasn't great, and nothing I have heard has made us want to go back again...…but, it`s a shame as it does have a lovely theme....and could be fabulous.

i-HvB5fH9-XL.jpg

We take a wander round behind where café la bamba is......it`s a quiet little area that you don't often see people wander around....…..

i-xT8ppV3-XL.jpg

This whole area is Media offices and occasionally you see the odd person wander in and out.....but I think it would make a beautiful home.....of course there would be far too many people wandering around outside for my liking...….and some beautiful flowers too...….

i-kGPFMzX-XL.jpg

i-nXBRsWm-XL.jpg

I`m not 100% sure what this actually is...…..but it`s been there for years...….

i-zP2xR74-XL.jpg

We want to do ET today, as it had been a while since we did it...…and on the way round, I notice this huge, bright blue anchor that has been there forever......but, I wasn't sure I had seen it before.....but when I look back at pictures from past trips, yep, it has always been there...….

i-Scpt98Q-XL.jpg

ET was fun...…it always is…...and again, another guy with the giant backpack!!! It was bigger than his kid!!

This is the cutest little ride in Universal......it does show it`s age and not the most technical of rides, but it has to be done every trip at least once.

Next up is Simpsons area where we don't actually do anything here...….no food as it`s too early and I never ride The Simpson`s so it`s just a wander and take a few pictures...…

i-6ndjq2R-XL.jpg

Yes, we still had our hoodies on and it was mid morning now...….this wasn't the heat we were so used to and loved!!!!

i-bHCP7zH-XL.jpg

i-jRD2G7w-XL.jpg

We didn't plan to do Potter today, so we just went in, it was busy, and bought a Butterbeer...….we didn't take a picture of it, as we both had a taste and decided once and for all......we genuinely don't like it...….

Maybe rum would liven it up some!!!!

i-Nn5BsMf-XL.jpg

We wander round and go down behind Lombards to get a picture or two with the Fisherman from Amity that I`m sure was missing from the parks for years......we only noticed it again 2 years ago down here.....

i-pgk2FMK-XL.jpg

i-7rHbPmZ-XL.jpg

And here it is in the picture below.....I think this was 2008 or 2009. This was one of the first things we pictured during the Amity days on our first visit in 07, but that first picture isn't as clear as there were people in front of it......I now wish we had taken hundreds of pictures of that area before it was removed for Harry Potter...….

I think it has been cleaned up somewhat since then...…..but so cool they kept it!!

i-c5RRGtj-XL.jpg

And of course it`s back to being close to Bruce who was also evicted from that area all those years ago for Potter.....

i-Hjhzt2v-XL.jpg

i-gjcTctL-XL.jpg

As we begin to head out the park, we see the fabulous and very energetic performers that are Beat Builders, a genuine upbeat performance that will engage you.....especially if you are chosen to be an honorary Beat Builder……

i-G7hrdLC-XL.jpg

i-xpnKwTQ-XL.jpg

I still love and never tire of seeing the themes around the different areas of the park...….and some of the window displays are unique...…

i-f4mzvLG-XL.jpg

We did want to do The Mummy today, so we went into the locker area and there was some folks all crowded round the one locker as usual, despite the TM direct them away to where it wasn't as busy. I do like the new lockers here, much more spacious than the old ones and not as cramped. The lockers really aren't an issue, and take very little time out of your day to use them...…

i-qkRJsQQ-XL.jpg

The ride itself is a walk on today, the regular line was 40 minutes, but we walked straight to the front and hopped on the next vehicle that arrived. And today we sit beside some first timers again...…they are nervous and seem to enjoy it as it moves off......when it comes to the bit after the treasure room , I do tell them to brace themselves as it does stop fast and hard....and if you aren't careful, you`ll bang your head against the back of the seat...…..and it hurts!!!!

We loved the ride as always and so did the newbies on the front row with us...….

i-VD4bDxv-XL.jpg

We come out and see Marilyn and friends having a show...….they are very good!!!

The last years, maybe 5 or 6 the change in the parks has been amazing...…..ignoring Potter, but all around the parks they have entertainment around in different areas of different types.....and it is so lovely to see....the parks no longer have just the Blues Brothers as the only entertainment show.....which is still fabulous...….

i-HMWJ9pf-XL.jpg

i-NLxrn7F-XL.jpg

Coming up......lunch, quiet day and dinner...…...

We turned and went into Monster`s Café......again, not a place we would choose to eat as the food is often below par......but the theming in here in incredible......if you like that genre of horror movies...….

I was raised on watching them all, Dracula, Frankenstein, Werewolf and many others.....including the wonderful spoofs that involved actors like Abbott and Costello getting themselves in many difficult scenarios.....I loved watching all of those types of movies as kids...…

Some of their behind the scenes stories and pictures are fascinating to read and look at...…..

So, to wander around this place it is joy to see some of the memorabilia they have adorning the walls and around the building...…

i-pSZXZbd-XL.jpg

i-nTWJ8hN-XL.jpg

i-Z4KN6N2-XL.jpg

i-zqhG8sV-XL.jpg

I think Frankenstein was always my favourite…….of course closely followed by the Munsters of course which put the humour into scare movies, along with shows like The Addams Family which are still classics today.

Takes me right back to being a kid watching Saturday morning tv...…..

And the real scary ones were Saturday late night treats if I was allowed to stay up and watch...….

i-9hPFFnR-XL.jpg

We head out of the park now, without doing any more rides today......some days we feel like riding many times, other times one or two rides is enough...…and we are going offsite for lunch today...….

So, back on the boat and up to our room to get changed and head out. We got the car and chatted briefly to the valet guy we know who only works the weekend......then head off to LBV...…..

My friends often tease me I don't know the word value, or cheap, or bargain...….I do.....I just don't use them a lot!!!! Simple.....but, I can do bargain and cheap food too...….occasionally.....

So, today we go to Steak and Shake in LBV...……

It had been 11 years since we last visited one and that was near Cocoa Beach...…..and we had never went back to another more local one......I knew this one was over there, so we drove to it, expecting it to be busier...…..it wasn't busy at all.

i-BVhmq7v-XL.jpg

You are shown to a table and a menu and asked what we wanted to drink straight away.....er, can we look at the menu first.....maybe some water though for now......

So, we had time to have a rumble through the rather short menu...…but, there were some nice variations of burgers......and we took our time choosing.

It is a basic burger bar.....it was fairly clean, but felt a little dated and some of the seats and tables had seen better days...….although when you see parents allow their kids to jump on the seats, I`m not surprised. It was light and airy and the staff were nice.

i-frDLGrZ-XL.jpg

We had decided to have milk shakes......Tom went for the Vanilla and I opted for the Very Berry Strawberry which our waitress informed me it was fresh strawberries and not syrup that made it up.....sounded good to me...…

i-RHb2m5N-XL.jpg

Oh they were delicious.......Tom`s was nice enough, but mine was so beautiful......I think it had been years since I`d had a milkshake...….and you could taste the real strawberries through it.....especially as they got stuck in the straw all the time!!!

i-tbM2gX6-XL.jpg

I had chosen the Cajun double steak burger with no cheese, add jalapenos.....with Cajun fries and Tom ordered the I think Buttery steak burger with cheese and regular fries and we added some coleslaw too....

i-SzXjjrj-XL.jpg

i-LjQDjNr-XL.jpg

Well, I didn't get the fuss about the burgers....I really didn't......yes, they are incredibly cheap, but taste wise nothing special.....they`re more like a patty than a burger...….the fries were nice though.

i-XHkC6vd-XL.jpg

The coleslaw was delicious too, we really enjoyed that. And the milk shakes were lovely....no getting away from that...…

Our check was around $18 before tip, so probably the cheapest meal we have ever eaten in America......but, I wouldn't come back again......I`d rather pay more and get something more substantial meat wise.....it just lacked something.....but for the price......I didn't expect more. Very similar style to Beth`s Burgers, but they are so much better!!!!

And of course, I hadn't asked if there was any MSG in anything as I hadn't thought about it...….so I did have a bit of a reaction with palpitations after I ate it...….when I checked the burger I ordered was the only thing in the place that included MSG......but I should have asked...….and it was only slight when it did occur.

We decided to do some shopping this afternoon......we went back over to Universal area and went to Bed Bath and Beyond and picked up several things from there, including a beard trimmer for Kyle.....he does have a bit of growth but likes to keep it tidy....and some items for the kitchen and new table mats for the dining room and a few things for the bathrooms…..

We went to a few other stores and then headed back to the hotel with our haul...…..

We pulled up and were immediately helped with our stuff, but we could manage it to be honest....and we headed along to our room………

And we had another surprise delivery while we were out...……

i-LncHszW-XL.jpg

It was from Fernando and the team in SW bar!!!!! How lovely...….and so thoughtful!!!!

He had written a lovely message in the card for us too and reading it was so sweet......and I knew we would enjoy this wine a lot......he had noticed when we don't drink rum, we usually have red wine......so this was a special gift just for us.....from him. We were again, incredibly touched he had done this......we would see him Tuesday and thank him as we knew he wasn't in tonight.

We watched some tv, chilled for an hour or so and then got changed into park clothes and took lanyards...then we set off to walk over to RP for an hour or so to see everyone there.....we do miss them and we hadn't seen them for a couple of days...…..

It was almost time for food to be served when we got there, we had about 30 minutes before the guests started coming in......it`s always peaceful before food service...….and although we weren't eating I checked out the food and it did look good.

Tonight was Mediterranean night, lemon chicken with rice, usual stuff like cheese assortment, crackers, salad, dressings, crudités and a pitta bread...…

i-8sSZC7b-XL.jpg

i-CPR6SBg-XL.jpg

i-pJH6ZQM-XL.jpg

i-cz8cLS3-XL.jpg

I have to say the lemon chicken looked so good, I did succumb and have a little taste.....it is really nice!!! I did add a little more lemon to it, but it was lovely......the chicken was cooked beautifully and everything around it looked so nice too.

I did stop at one taste though....……

The lounge is one of the warmest of the Club Lounges onsite.....I had been to them all, but this one stands out for many reasons...….

i-dQ53xWc-XL.jpg

And the folks there are fabulous!!!!!

Me below with one of the supervisors who we adore...….just the nicest people and always make you feel so welcome.....everyone is greeted as they enter with a warm welcome and a big Aloha...…

i-MTZRv3L-XL.jpg

We sit for a while until most are gone...….and we chat the evening away to everyone who is working.....always a pleasure to see them all.

Looking at the pictures, we have park clothes on and lanyards with us, so I`m guessing we were going to the park, one or the other.......but as we end up in Orchids for Sushi......we obviously didn't go......and I cannot remember why...….I haven't written anything down, so it couldn`t have been anything drastic.....maybe we just changed our mind.......

But, once we said goodnight to everyone, we did indeed go down for Sushi...…..

Orchids Sushi is always beautiful......in all the years we have been staying here we have eaten it many times and it is always fresh, tasty and so well presented...….and we do like to enjoy it at least once a visit...…

Our waitress is Tania who we know well, she has been here for a long time, and we ask her and it`s been five years.....we thought it was longer......but she is lovely, and always looks after everyone so well...…..

As we have already had red wine, we do order a glass of red each...….and peruse the sushi menu.....although we do know it by heart after so many years!!!!

i-R59JXbr-XL.jpg

And take a few pictures of the area we know so well......we are so looking forward to the changes being implemented here.....it sounds fabulous!!!!!

i-DtM2L5r-XL.jpg

i-hcfk2qh-XL.jpg

i-gVTJtQ8-XL.jpg

Tonight we remembered to ask what the special was, and Tania explained it had pineapple and coconut with shrimp and something else that we forget...…..

But we did order the special to try it as it sounded gorgeous...…..

i-GmNwFnH-XL.jpg

And it was delicious!!!!! Like all the dishes here, it was incredibly fresh and so tasty...….

We waited a little while and then ordered a little mix of dishes...…..we asked for the Volcano Roll that we adore, some smoked salmon and some snow crab...…..

i-JPQ9kHn-XL.jpg

It was perfect as always.…...we adore all seafood and smoked salmon in particular is something we enjoy frequently......Scottish of course!!!! It`s the best!!!

i-hBfrRrz-XL.jpg

We had thoroughly enjoyed our meal tonight, beautiful food and nice atmosphere...…our almost perfect evening...….it is so nice in here, the ambience is always fairly tranquil....and it is quiet tonight......which is nice.

We thank Tania and pay our check before heading back home to Sapphire...….

It was still reasonably early, but we just wanted to go and chill out in our lovely room...….we had so much space it would be a shame to not take advantage of it...….we had a lovely view of the lagoon and the boats coming and going, we were going to enjoy a couple of hours relaxing and watching tv for a while.

And of course we wanted to sample the beautiful bottle of wine Fernando had sent along for us....

i-NdfbKSV-XL.jpg

And it was beautiful. Full of flavour and very mellow too......but a good depth to the flavour…..it was a big success and we enjoyed a glass each tonight...…..we would keep some for tomorrow night too.

The rest of the night was quiet and peaceful, the TV was our company and I sat on the ipad and sent a few emails out while we chilled out...….this was a perfect evening...….

We went to bed around 11pm as we were tired so an early night was just what the doctor ordered...….

Tomorrow we go to St Augustine......a day late

Tom got his pork chop!!

Lol i was thinking it looked like something Fred flintstone would eat!

Carole - i see all the pics today, my wifi was wonky all day yesterday. Happy to see a purse sighting :) above.

I would’ve sworn the Palm’s scallops were escargot! Steaks & Creme brûlée looked amazing though.

Agree 100%, the food at mel’s diner & monsters cafe don’t do the buildings’ justice. A real shame & has been that way as long as I can remember. I don’t think even a shot of rum could save butterbeer for me. Same with Steak ‘n Shake, food is inedible and the few different franchises i’ve Been lured to my those who love always seem to have incredibly dirty floors. Have been known to hit up ‘happy hour’ there at the drive thru for shakes :)

I forget if you did yard house this trip? On our radar for upcoming trip as it & Roy’s are on ground floor of our hotel. Is there a dish or two you can recommend at either?

i-pPKxCgs-XL.jpg

Our first stop after we waved goodbye to Puss, was head down to the lagoon and see what the landscape looked like over at the JPVC...….they were ripping out all the greenery and shrubs to make room for the landscaping for the newest rollercoaster...….it looked very extreme, but it is a huge undertaking when you see what the alleged plans are for this new coaster.....fantastic news for Universal Orlando Resort.

Enjoying the TR so far but I had to stop for a quick correction. You took a picture with Kitty Softpaws (voiced by the wonderful Salma Hayek in the 2011 movies no one remembers). Puss is an orange kitty. We saw one or the other of them at this spot in Port of Entry and occasionally they were both out. Until I saw them, I forgot Puss had a love interest.

Enjoying the TR so far but I had to stop for a quick correction. You took a picture with Kitty Softpaws (voiced by the wonderful Salma Hayek in the 2011 movies no one remembers). Puss is an orange kitty. We saw one or the other of them at this spot in Port of Entry and occasionally they were both out. Until I saw them, I forgot Puss had a love interest.

Glad you’re enjoying it.......

With me, a cat is a cat is a cat.......no idea of the names........Puss is as good a name as any.......and he was wearing boots!

Glad you’re enjoying it.......

With me, a cat is a cat is a cat.......no idea of the names........Puss is as good a name as any.......and he was wearing boots!

In fairness, I had to Google the cat's name to be sure. I drive Mindy crazy with my need to fact check everything.

Lol i was thinking it looked like something Fred flintstone would eat!

Carole - i see all the pics today, my wifi was wonky all day yesterday. Happy to see a purse sighting :) above.

I would’ve sworn the Palm’s scallops were escargot! Steaks & Creme brûlée looked amazing though.

Agree 100%, the food at mel’s diner & monsters cafe don’t do the buildings’ justice. A real shame & has been that way as long as I can remember. I don’t think even a shot of rum could save butterbeer for me. Same with Steak ‘n Shake, food is inedible and the few different franchises i’ve Been lured to my those who love always seem to have incredibly dirty floors. Have been known to hit up ‘happy hour’ there at the drive thru for shakes :)

I forget if you did yard house this trip? On our radar for upcoming trip as it & Roy’s are on ground floor of our hotel. Is there a dish or two you can recommend at either?

Lol.....we did joke it was like a Flintstone meal!!

Oh I’m glad you can see the pics......I checked them all on different devices and they seemed fine.....but of course what do I know.......lol.....

Oh gosh yes the do look like escargot now you mention it!!! Ewww......everything else was lovely.......oh I didn’t know you didn’t like Butterbeer either!!! It is a shame about those two places.......wish they would give them both a good revamp....food wise of course.......

Will never darken Steak and Shake doorstep again.......the patty’s had no real flavour and fries were just alright......did like the milkshake but we can get them anywhere........guess cheap and me don’t go so well after all.....yes, could have been cleaner.......

We didn’t go to Yard house these last few trips.....but Tom has it in the list for May........we’ve had many nice meals there.......spicy jambalaya, Nashville Hot Chicken, sweet potato fries with maple bacon dip, French dip and Cuban dip sandwiches were lovely......only disappointment was the wings......not great, read a few folks say the same........but we really like it there.....portions are good sized without being grossly so.......

I am not a pet person. And yet for some reason we have three dogs. And by "for some reason" what I really mean is "because of Mindy and the girls."

Lol.....I can imagine........

Three dogs is a lot of dog!!

MONDAY MARCH 18TH

SHORT ROADTRIP DAY

This morning we got up really early and had been looking forward to a day at St Augustine...….we thought about going yesterday and had decided the weather didn't look great so put off today......and by going today we had offered to drop someone off and pick them back up again on the way home....long story so I won`t even try..…...but we did offer and were delighted to do so...

We showered and looked outside and it looked miserable.....really miserable......we hoped St Augustine didn't look like this when we got there...….

First stop was Club Lounge for breakfast, we wanted to say hello to someone we hadn't seen yet, and then we had our breakfast.....it was lovely......fresh fruit, little mini muffins and coffee...….Tom had his usual croissants....we chatted briefly this morning and then headed back to Sapphire where we picked up our car and our passenger for an hour or so.

It takes around 2 hours to get to St Augustine, and we had a little detour to drop our passenger off.....then back on the main road.......

It`s a pretty dull drive, but I try to liven it up with singing.....maybe not the best idea!!! As I can`t carry a tune in a bucket......I always say I don't know what I do best, but what I`m truly awful at is singing.....and I do sing a lot though...….

i-8RscK6v-XL.jpg

After Daytona Beach it seems to fly past, and before we know it we are heading into St Augustine.....and the sign as you enter is beautiful. But, blocked by a road sign and a power line...….annoying. So, you can`t get a decent picture of it at all.

i-xzZCpMn-XL.jpg

We park in the same place every time we visit, right beside St George St...….so close to everything and I think it was only $10 or $15 for the day...….and St Augustine isn't a huge place.....you can really wander around and see an awful lot by foot.

It is cool when we get out of the car, but the sun is shining and it is beautiful....and you just know it`s going to get warmer as the day goes on...…

Our first stop is into the little set of shops off the main street...we had gone in here before and wanted to go back as there was a little gem of a place called I believe the Pepper Palace...….it had sold weird and wonderful, but very hot, hot sauces of different types.....just our kind of place...…

i-fx7Tm9M-XL.jpg

I have to say the guy who runs it needs a little bit of a personality.....if you`re going to sell things, at least make your customers feel welcome….not the friendliest of welcome...…but the stock is amazing and has some funny named and very unique products......we would love a place like this back home. We do have places that sell a few items like this, but not on the same scale.....

We have a good look round and weirdly the store is shared with a whole load of handbags, which aren't very nice, but its a weird combination of items to sell together...….

We purchase a few items, well, quite a lot actually...….worry about the cases later.....don't I always......lol....and although we spend a fair amount of money on a lot of bottles, we have still to see a smile or a pleasant word...….now, usually I`ll leave and cancel a sale if someone is like that....but we really, really wanted the products!!!!! And I was overly polite to compensate.....I`m British, it`s what we do!!!!

i-PXxQj8M-XL.jpg

As the car was close, Tom went back to put our early purchases in the trunk of the car, it was too heavy to carry around all day...…

We already had photographed all the touristy stuff on our last trip here, so this time we didn't take as many of the main buildings that you see around us......but we did still take a lot of pictures...…

i-5GWP5pq-XL.jpg

I also bought this in the picture below for myself and one each for a few friends.....I knew they`d like it......although one has her house like a show home where everything matches and has it`s own place for everything, but I knew it would end up in her summerhouse where she has a bar area set up.....but it would go well in there as it is kind of set up like Margaritaville...…we all love visiting her home during the nicer weather!!!!

We don't usually take back gifts for friends on these trips, but some would fit in with birthday parcels coming up soon...…..

i-c54GMGb-XL.jpg

Although it was early, we were hungry as we had eaten very early this morning......so we thought why don't we share a slice of pizza from the place our friend told us about on our first visit......it is a small, but very friendly place...we had eaten lunch here on our first visit and had loved it, so a little mid morning snack sounded nice about now...….

i-dMfKzDz-XL.jpg

i-RbfztC5-XL.jpg

We went in and asked for a slice of the Cacciatore that was in the window...…..I would just pick the onions off it and it looked delicious.…..actually, all their pizzas looked delicious...….

i-kkxC7Q9-XL.jpg

i-LvbP4N5-XL.jpg

The little pot of olives I believe were complimentary.....and very nice if a little salty, but I guess most are anyway...…..

i-crDsv8G-XL.jpg

i-JzXbZFK-XL.jpg

I think we could have enjoyed a slice from all of them!!!! One looked nicer than the other...…

We only had fanta to drink, but they do offer a buy one get one free all day on wines.....not sure the quality is there, but I`m guessing it`ll be decent enough...….but not today......far too early for us anyway. Although Tom is driving so wouldn't anyway.

i-9P5wrFw-XL.jpg

They also have a very pretty gelateria in the same building...….I didn't have any, but it all looked fresh and very tasty......while we were eating our slice, there were plenty of people coming in for some all the time.

i-q89n8kK-XL.jpg

This was our slice of sizzling hot and fresh pizza...……it was lovely......we did get a knife and cut it done the middle......it was a very exact cut......

Tasty doesn't begin to describe it...….beautiful and the base was as we like it.....there was a lot of sauce on it, but that`s not a bad thing I guess...…

And it filled a hole so now we wouldn't be starving for lunch and could take our time wandering...…

i-dQSbCTH-XL.jpg

i-Jr9pmcr-XL.jpg

There are so many little streets to wander around and your day could be filled up easily just doing this alone.

We had thought of doing the Medieval Museum this visit, but ended up deciding not to, not sure why but we gave it a pass...…

i-fWmCJGq-XL.jpg

i-xkzdjRC-XL.jpg

There are several trolley trains that run around St Augustine, and they are cheap and many folks do it...it does look like a lot of fun....we`ve never felt the need to do it yet though....maybe next visit.

i-L3nhc5Q-XL.jpg

i-LLSS2LR-XL.jpg

There are plenty of beautiful and stunning buildings around, but this one reminded me of the first season of American Horror Story and Murder House.....just a little....

i-fR4rDsm-XL.jpg

The last couple of pictures were all taken down back streets where it is mainly residential, then you notice some very unique little bars smattered around such a peaceful area......and it is incredibly peaceful...we could live here easily...…

i-9WVLjfj-XL.jpg

We must have wandered around for nearly an hour just discovering all the beautiful homes and their surroundings.....

Back on the main road we discover some newer places, well new to us of course...….and more streets we hadn't wandered on before...…..

i-mVCnksP-XL.jpg

I`m not overly fond of wax museums, I have been to some very good ones including the one I considered to be the pinnacle of them and that was in Paris many years ago.....it was very creepy and actually scared me to the point I wanted to leave...….it was that good!!!!

i-9RxL5PF-XL.jpg

As we turned to go back to the main area, I saw this sign outside a pub......I loved this!!!!!!

i-gXrr6c6-XL.jpg

More to come......

Pizza is my favorite, and those look gorgeous!!

DD and I dropped DH off at a "daycare" while we did some shopping on vacation! He was as happy as could be when we picked him up 3 hours later!:D

Little bit of a short update as a friend is coming over, I apologise for the short and slightly rushed write up.....darn real life interfering!!!!! :D

We headed over towards where the Fort is and it is a lovely area...….and boy is it breezy here closer to the water...…..oops for wearing a dress!!!! But, like a lot of ladies with dresses, I always have some kind of a cycling short underneath......just in case......you never know when you`ll go *** over elbow!!!

The history of St Augustine fascinated me the first time we came here......I knew a little of it of course, who doesn't.....but I never realised just how historical and how important it was to all our histories......so it was a learning curve for me and I did keep all of it in mind when we came back.

i-SCCDJ5m-XL.jpg

We never bother to go in the Fort....because.....well, it`s a Fort......not a way I want to spend our time here.....although if you have kids or a deep interest in certain types of history, you`ll love it.....

We were here for the sunshine, to see the water and just soak up some warmth.....which was there, you just had to ignore the breeze that was billowing around us...…I was clinging on to my dress for grim death at this point!!!!

Of course we never look as glamorous as this when it does happen!!!!!!

It is so beautiful here and we chat to so many people who are tourists and locals alike...….as soon as some people hear the Scottish accent, they immediately begin to chat and ask many, many things......and one is always what we think of the latest administration...….something of course we never answer...…but many have been to Scotland, or planning to go either soon or someday...….

We had even been asked once if we had seen the Loch Ness Monster, do we all eat haggis (NO) do we all wear kilts and some even ask if we live near the UK.....that one always tickles me...….try to explain we are in the UK seems to get a disbelieving look on occasion...….people`s perceptions are funny some time.

But, we love talking to people and find we have met some very interesting folks over the years, and a few I`ll happily forget...….a competitive woman we met in Sapphire once who happily informed me how she stayed more often than we did...….lol.....she only had a short journey to get there in the first and a couple of nights at a time.....yes, that's the same as flying over nine hours to get there!!!! Yes, some are odd......but most folks are lovely......

i-TSd8mkP-XL.jpg

i-RC55V8n-XL.jpg

Looking back to where we had crossed from it is pretty......you can do so many things including of course, as you would expect......a Pirate experience...….

i-4xpCgHX-XL.jpg

I did tell Tom when Capt Jack Sparrow appears, then I`ll go do it...….

(any excuse for Capt Jack image ::yes::)

So, not something we would be doing today then!!!!

The views here are lovely…….you can see back to the town which is just the prettiest town ever.....

i-Gn4ddB8-XL.jpg

i-psXC48q-XL.jpg

We spend quite a lot of time wandering around here, admiring the scenery and just getting blown away, quite literally at some points!!!!

But, it is so lovely...….

i-NRvXfhv-XL.jpg

i-86xpP3S-XL.jpg

We do have an attempt at selfies......but the hair doesn't want to co-operate today...…

i-2Hhz75t-XL.jpg

i-Th83GF6-XL.jpg

And the sunglasses had to come out as it was glaring now in the sun...….and so much warmer!!!

i-GnXwzsV-XL.jpg

We sat down on the wall for a time and watched everyone coming and going......and the car park that is close by this are...….mobbed beyond belief.....

We watched the same cars drive around and around for what seems like forever...…...waiting for a space.....and they never seemed to get any.....I think we`d have given up by now and go find somewhere else. There is plenty of parking around the whole town which is fabulous.

i-fNcTXSj-XL.jpg

More of the town and lunch next...…….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter