1st DL visit

Lindseyrbaldwin

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I am planning my first trip to Disneyland, and coincidentally this will also be my first solo trip. I have some questions regarding hotels, I am looking to stay offsite, but still close to the Esplanade. Right now I am considering Hojo Anaheim and Candy Cane Inn, the hojo seems to be a better price, I've seen conflicting things regarding distance to the parks from hoo and candy cane inn. what do you recommend? and is it really safe for me to walk, back to the hotel after park closing? - is that the norm?

Thanks!

Both are about the same walking distance (10 mins or so), CCI is probably a little closer but the main thing is it’s on the same side of Harbor Bvde as DL, so you don’t need to cross Harbor to get there. There’s also a CVS, Walgreens on the corner of Katella near CCI and you’re closer to Gardenwalk. Personally I prefer that end of Harbour Bvde, bit more going on IMO.
Yes, it is perfectly safe to walk back to the hotels at park closing, it’s quite normal and you won’t be alone. Many will be doing the same thing.

Hi All,

I am planning my first trip to Disneyland, and coincidentally this will also be my first solo trip. I have some questions regarding hotels, I am looking to stay offsite, but still close to the Esplanade. Right now I am considering Hojo Anaheim and Candy Cane Inn, the hojo seems to be a better price, I've seen conflicting things regarding distance to the parks from hoo and candy cane inn. what do you recommend? and is it really safe for me to walk, back to the hotel after park closing? - is that the norm?

Thanks!
For my trips whether solo or with grandkids, I prefer a place close to the crosswalk.
Not because of safety, I feel all of Harbor is a safe walk but for laziness. At the end of the day I want the shortest walk back as possible.

For my solo trips I'll stay at the Desert Inn & Suites. Booking way far in advance I can get a room for $89 to $109 per night. When my grandkids go with me they like the Tropicana for the location and the pool/hot tub.

Here is a map that will show you various places around the crosswalk area of Harbor.2020-01-23 001.JPG

Geemo

CCI is about an 8-10 minute walk on the same side of Harbor as the parks. It also has a private shuttle that runs on time. HOJO is in the opposite direction, about a 10-12 minute walk, no private shuttle, and on the opposite side of Harbor. Both hotels get very good reviews on this board. CCI comes with free (generous) continental breakfast. HOJO does not include breakfast. We prefer the CCI -- never had a bad stay there. The walk is totally safe -- I've done it myself (petite female) many times after park closing with and without DH. There are usually lots of other Disney guests walking to their hotels at the same time.
We have lots of DISers who make solo trips (including lots of solo female travelers). If you have any specific questions about doing DLR solo, just post a thread asking all your questions. You'll get great help!

There are a few videos on YouTube that people have filmed the walks from some of the different resorts from start to finish and I think one of them is hojo. I found them to be very informative.

@theluckyrabbit
What are your trip dates?
[/QUOTE]
I plan to do both parks on 3/1. I will only have one day to do both, so I am hoping I can navigate the area and get it all done. I will have a few hours in the evening to explore the resorts, and the downtown disney area.

I have stayed at both locations and walked back solo plenty of times without feeling uncomfortable. Hojo is the hotel we have returned to time and time again because I just find it more comfortable (especially the beds) and have really excellent experiences there. I remember the Candy Cane Inn rooms as a bit small, dark, and noisy with less comfortable beds. Both hotels have free parking and well-kept grounds. Hojo has interior corridors; Candy Cane Inn is a motel. The pool is larger and better at Hojo. The continental breakfast and shuttle at Candy Cane Inn are both nice perks if you are interested in using them. On a Disney trip, I am rarely patient enough for such things and prefer to bring my own quick breakfast and walk to and from the parks at times of my own choosing.

@theluckyrabbit
I plan to do both parks on 3/1. I will only have one day to do both, so I am hoping I can navigate the area and get it all done. I will have a few hours in the evening to explore the resorts, and the downtown disney area.
[/QUOTE]
If you only have one day I would just do Disneyland. I'm not sure it will be worth the price to hop back and forth unless you have your heart on seeing /riding something specific at DCA. Carsland is my favorite land out of all Disney parks in US but not sure it's worth the additional price for a hopper.

The good news is you are going solo so you'll get a lot done. Look for the single ride lines. It's also much easier to find a decent view for fireworks and shows as it's just you.

As to your original question I can't speak about the HOJO other than everyone here likes it. I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn on my last visit and LOVED it. Lucky Rabbit stated everything I like about it. I do like the shuttle for afternoon breaks but usually walk in the am and at closing.

I've done DL solo and have felt very safe walking to and from my hotel. When I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn last time was for the Haunted Mansion event (1am - 4am). I was worried about walking back at 4- 5am in the morning. Even at that limited entry event there were plenty of people walking back and I felt completely safe walking that distance. There were plenty of people walking in the other direction as well. Once you get 2- 3 blocks off Harbor is when it will start to thin out.

I would think about that very carefully. Tackling both parks in one day is a big undertaking for someone who has been before and knows how to navigate the parks. For a first time visit, I wouldn’t recommend it and agree with Pamela M that you should just consider doing Disneyland this trip. There is plenty in that park to occupy 2-3 days, let alone a single day. Trying to do both parks in a day won’t allow you to “get it all done” and will certainly not leave you any time to explore the resorts for a few hours.
There’s much more to Disneyland than just a few headliner rides but if that’s all you want to do then maybe 1 day for both parks is OK but even then . . . . . .

@theluckyrabbit
[/QUOTE]
You might want to take a look at Disneyland Daily. There are some good touring plans for first time visitors on that site which could be helpful to you. You probably won't see "everything," but as a solo guest, you'll be able to cover a lot with a good, organized plan. And you'll certainly see enough to decide whether you want to plan another trip!

I would think about that very carefully. Tackling both parks in one day is a big undertaking for someone who has been before and knows how to navigate the parks. For a first time visit, I wouldn’t recommend it and agree with Pamela M that you should just consider doing Disneyland this trip. There is plenty in that park to occupy 2-3 days, let alone a single day. Trying to do both parks in a day won’t allow you to “get it all done” and will certainly not leave you any time to explore the resorts for a few hours.
There’s much more to Disneyland than just a few headliner rides but if that’s all you want to do then maybe 1 day for both parks is OK but even then . . . . . .

I have a separate day to explore the resorts, I will do that on the day I arrive. I am limited on time because this is an add on for a work trip, and I dont know that I will ever be in the area again, or have the opportunity to visit DL and DCA. I dont plan to take a midday break or to stop to watch parades, or do fantasmic, as parades are not something I would do at WDW, and I've already seen fantasmic. That being said, I think I am going to focus on the elements of the parks that are different from WDW. So I am hoping, with maxpass, single rider lines, and a game plan, that I can hit every attraction on my list, if I understand how to use maxpass correctly. Ive also been on the app and monitoring ride wait times during the weekend in attempt to prepare myself, and make a rough game plan for how to tackle both parks. Doing one park is really not an option for me, I think I would feel sad if I didnt at least attempt both. Personally I could never go to WDW and not visit every park, however I wouldn't attempt to do so without at least a weeks time. So this will be a large undertaking..

If they still offer midday magic would it be a good idea to consider that on my arrival date, instead of exploring the resorts? Or is there no point on a saturday afternoon??

You might want to take a look at Disneyland Daily. There are some good touring plans for first time visitors on that site which could be helpful to you. You probably won't see "everything," but as a solo guest, you'll be able to cover a lot with a good, organized plan. And you'll certainly see enough to decide whether you want to plan another trip!
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I will check this out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts