1st time DAS applicant. So nervous they will say no.

Ellie Webbs

DIS Veteran
I have moderate to severe anxiety, agoraphobia and social anxiety disorder. I don't tell people usually because I don't want to label myself ( I feel that a label may personally stop me from trying to fight it, just me, don't feel I'm commenting on anyone else's decisions)
I have panic attacks when I am hot, when there are people around me, and when I feel that a confrontation is taking place. Unfortunately my brain reads any human interaction as a confrontation.
This is the first time I have ever considered asking for a DAS. I'm always so scared that they will ask questions or criticise me and i will have to explain what I feel, which will remind me of what i feel.
Is it worth me trying? I'm not looking for an easy ride, or to skip to the front of any queue, or to get one over other people. It would just be nice to ride some rides I haven't got a fastpass so myself and hubby dont ride.
And to pre empt, yes I have been to the doctor and sought medical help. I am operating on the best self care I think is best atm.
I just wonder how invasive the questioning is. I don't want to start my first day at DW on a downer feeling broken.

Most of the time the CM will ask you what your concern is for the lines ( they do not care about DX) so I would just in and say I have some concerns for the lines and they are ( say a few of your concerns for the lines ) then ask if they have any suggestion for you. This way you are not asking for something you are asking for help. If you have a hard time with coming up with things on the go write it down ( not your dr but you write down some of your concerns for the lin and tell the CM that you wrote down some concerns because it was easier for you ( you can even put on the top why you are writing it down in a few words then just do a few words on your concerns. it does not need to be full sentences.

The CM are very good at listening and not being confrontational even if telling you they can not do something. I look perfectly fine and some times go in to get my DAS and I am sure other guests think I do not need a DAS but I do.

All so set your self up for susses yes the DAS can be a good tool but there can be other tools that you can use too whether that is having the person with you stand behind you in line so it makes a little bubble a cooling towel and fain for when it is hot. One thing I do that has made a world of difference for me is I take me breaks where I will sit down somewhere quiet for a few minutes and think of things that can set me into a meltdown am I too hot to hungry getting over stimulatory. then I will think about what I need so it might be a break sitting on the bench or back to the hotel for a rest and pretty much anything in between or eating something getting more water ( you get the picture). it is so easy to get caught up in the I am at Disney and not notice some of the worrying signs your body is telling you. also, I would talk to your dr and see if they have any suggestion for while you are at Disney.

Most of the time the CM will ask you what your concern is for the lines ( they do not care about DX) so I would just in and say I have some concerns for the lines and they are ( say a few of your concerns for the lines ) then ask if they have any suggestion for you. This way you are not asking for something you are asking for help. If you have a hard time with coming up with things on the go write it down ( not your dr but you write down some of your concerns for the lin and tell the CM that you wrote down some concerns because it was easier for you ( you can even put on the top why you are writing it down in a few words then just do a few words on your concerns. it does not need to be full sentences.

The CM are very good at listening and not being confrontational even if telling you they can not do something. I look perfectly fine and some times go in to get my DAS and I am sure other guests think I do not need a DAS but I do.

All so set your self up for susses yes the DAS can be a good tool but there can be other tools that you can use too whether that is having the person with you stand behind you in line so it makes a little bubble a cooling towel and fain for when it is hot. One thing I do that has made a world of difference for me is I take me breaks where I will sit down somewhere quiet for a few minutes and think of things that can set me into a meltdown am I too hot to hungry getting over stimulatory. then I will think about what I need so it might be a break sitting on the bench or back to the hotel for a rest and pretty much anything in between or eating something getting more water ( you get the picture). it is so easy to get caught up in the I am at Disney and not notice some of the worrying signs your body is telling you. also, I would talk to your dr and see if they have any suggestion for while you are at Disney.
Thank you I was thinking of writing a list so i will because my mind goes blank when I'm put on the spot. I also have bought a couple of fans and we have a battery pack, I dont know why but a breeze in my face helps so much. I have a classical music playlist to listen to. I have planned stops at quieter places to chill.
I dont want to be this way and I certainly dont want my family to suffer as a result. I also will be visiting my gp as we are flying from the uk and I am going to need medication for the flight (above stated reasons not a fear of flying)
Thank you for being so informative. I just want my family ( me DH and parents) to have a great vacation and I don't want to ruin anything.

If you think it would help, I'd write out the request ahead of time putting in the information on what the issue is and how this would help you. You can always choose when you get there to give them the letter you wrote or tell them yourself. Finding some good places to get out of the crowds is always helpful. I can think of some but there must be a list somewhere! If you really need some low light/quiet you could stop at first aid and ask to use one of their space to rest a bit.

I don't use a DAS to tour (I have bad knees and use an ECV so I have different issues), but I do find that fast passes are very helpful. I try to get my first 3 of the day closely spaced together so I can do those attractions, and then I use the app to find keep getting additional fast passes. You might look for the "refresh" method of fast passes - I've had good luck with that and I can usually go from one thing to another - especially in the MK.

I recommend writing a short list of brief bullet points. No need for long explanations. No need for diagnoses. It sounds like you have been to WDW previously so you can draw on prior experience for your note. The CM may still ask a question or 2 but a good note will help. Your DH can help you at Guest Relations as well, if that helps to alleviate some concerns about communicating.

Enjoy your vacation!

I agree. The CMs are very understanding and there to help you with your needs, I would simply say that you are very concerned about having to stand in lines due to severe anxiety and that you have heard that a DAS might t
help since you would be able to limit time in the crowds and
walk around, etc, especially if you experience a severe attack.

I have a DAS for my severe anxiety and panic attacks
It did help me to bring a list of bullet points to feel confident, but it ended up being unneccessary
They were very helpful and I was set up in 5 minutes.
I live 2 hours ish away and I am an AP, and I have to renew every 6 months. I never have any trouble.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Just a reminder that we do not allow posting of "scripts" or telling others what to say in requesting a DAS. The request must be their own words based on their own particular needs.

OP - as mentioned, it may reduce some of your stress about the "asking" part if you write down what you wish to tell them. Brief statements. CMs want to help you.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just a reminder that we do not allow posting of "scripts" or telling others what to say in requesting a DAS. The request must be their own words based on their own particular needs.

OP - as mentioned, it may reduce some of your stress about the "asking" part if you write down what you wish to tell them. Brief statements. CMs want to help you.

Enjoy your vacation!
can the post that has scrips be changed so that other people reading this do not try and use their scrip for getting a DAS. As this is something that is very different from person to person.

I mostly have my social anxiety and panic attacks under control these days. I still find going to GR to ask about a DAS to be stressful, but it's pretty much always an anticlimax. Sometimes they ask things that can trigger a panic attack for me, because I need to be specific about my needs, and I have to think about what's problematic. If it's going to put a damper on your day - your husband can have most of the conversation for you.

I've found them to be very good at handling my panic attacks. I get to have time to calm down. They're not judgmental, and they've always been very understanding when I use my coping skills, even the ones that look funny.

I like to carry a list of my uncommonly used coping techniques with me. I print it on a little business card, and pull it out when I'm stuck. For example, I've needed TIPP once in my life that wasn't at Disney. I didn't have my card and went "I need that thing. How do I do that thing?!?" At Disney, I pull it out and it has specific instructions.

Thank you. I just don't want to ruin my family trip by being the way I am, if I can minimise the impact my anxiety has on the trip I'll be so pleased!

As a mom to someone with extreme anxiety I just want you to remember that you will not ruin your families trip. They will understand. Just be mindful, watch for triggers and try and enjoy yourself. You will all be at Disney World. It can't get any better than that.

As a mom to someone with extreme anxiety I just want you to remember that you will not ruin your families trip. They will understand. Just be mindful, watch for triggers and try and enjoy yourself. You will all be at Disney World. It can't get any better than that.
You speak the truth!

My daughter has anxiety, and sometimes I have to tell her "That is the anxiety monster talking"...

The anxiety monster is making you anxious about talking to the guest services about your anxiety.

An idea is to write down what you want to originally say to the CM about the request for the DAS.

Interesting topic. I usually only use my FP rides because of this and maybe one or two rides if I can find a 10 minute wait. It is just recently I have learned there are options.

Interesting topic. I usually only use my FP rides because of this and maybe one or two rides if I can find a 10 minute wait. It is just recently I have learned there are options.
Yes you will need to go to guest relations and explain your need / concerns for the lines and they will help you from there. Also when you use your first 3 FP you can get one more FP at a time

DAS is a good way to help manage your time if you have disabilities!

Though now not so much for physical ones that are resolved by mobility devices. The queues are mostly accessible by design so the "shortcut" is only needed on a select few rides.
If you have co-mordid diagnoses, DAS can also be helpful. Especially if You are able to step away from the queue and get food/drink/toilet/medical/mental breaks. You can manage many needs within your party, even more so with Child Swap, so do what your family needs to do to enjoy the Parks.
Dont be afraid to split up and help each other along the trip : you absolutely do not need to be all together 100% if that causes your vacation to go sideways. If you need to step aside with ( or without! ;) )DH and go for a Mickey bar and just breathe.... it's so.much more helpful if the rest of the family takes the kids on rides and does a M&G or bathroom breaks and you all meet again in a few minutes. Hint: if you are getting Photopass then you can use your mobile phones to keep track of each other via the photo uploads from Disney as long as you are all part of the same MDE party. Definitely make ADRS and FP+ and be aware of your flex time on all of them.
If you like plush toys and find them comfortable when experiencing symptoms, Buy the Stuffie First ! Somewhere on Main Street! ;)
Do not feel broken - you are having a Disney trip and they want to make that magical for you. They help thousands of us enjoy our Disney family trips too. DAS is a tool.just like an ECV , as we say on this board. We like to help! Hope your trip is great!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter