1st Time for my 2 year Old! +PLEASE HELP+

lilmissy7789

Mouseketeer
Hey All,
So my husband and I are in the early stages of planning a Disney trip! Our little one is 2 years old, she'll be 2.5 if we go when we are planning to!
My Question is, what is it that I need to know?
Best advice you can give a 1st time mom taking a 2 year old to Disney for the 1st time-- Although it's not MY 1st time, it's our 1st trip with a little one! :)

Please & thank you in advance!

Take everything you know and throw it out the window. Flexibility is key with that age. EVERYONE'S KID IS DIFFERENT.

My 20 month old stroller napped and was up at 7 most mornings, staying awake until about 8 most nights.

Aim for quality and not quantity. There was one day we didn't even use all our FPs, she was too hot and cranky, it was just easier to cancel them and bail on the ride we had planned.

Be SUPER flexible--any expectations you may have, you can probably just toss them in the bin.

Also make sure you find time to let her run around, since a lot of your days in the parks will be spent with her in a stroller or waiting in line or sitting on a ride. That's all well and good and fun, but littles need time and space to run around. One thing I regret from when we took OS when he was 2 was not doing early mornings and late evenings so that he could have the afternoon to rest, run around, or do whatever he needed--he did okay, but I feel like he would've had much more fun if he'd been given a chance to run around every day instead of just our day in AK.

If she's not used to traveling a lot, make sure you pack plenty of familiar stuff from home for bedtime to help her get comfortable enough to rest. With OS, we had his favorite blankie, his stuffed Puppy, and his favorite pillow. We also played Fantasia for him every night as he fell asleep because he was used to that at home (the music, at least).

Show her the Disney World planning DVD and other Disney World videos on YouTube to help her get used to the things she'll see and hear when she's there, and in terms of plans, try to focus your more solid plans on things that will mean a lot to her: meeting a favorite character, having a favorite treat, etc.

It'll be a lot of fun. She probably won't remember a lot of it (OS only remembers anything because I show him pictures), but trust me, the memories you'll have will be well worth it! :)

At 2, my kids were so mesmerized when we did character dining that they barely ate. They would then be starving an hour later. We made sure to pack lots of good quality snacks (pb crackers, squeeze applesauces, etc) and/or sandwiches, etc so they were at least getting some decent food- they were happy to eat that stuff in the stroller, just not at actual meals!
Also, depending on if your DD is potty trained, the potties at Disney can be terrifying. My daughter was potty trained for a year when we went and even with paper or a hand over the sensor to assure her they wouldn't flush, she still flipped out every time, tried to hold it, had accidents, etc, etc.
Be flexible. She may want to ride the carousel 10 times in a row. :)

At 2, my kids were so mesmerized when we did character dining that they barely ate. They would then be starving an hour later. We made sure to pack lots of good quality snacks (pb crackers, squeeze applesauces, etc) and/or sandwiches, etc so they were at least getting some decent food- they were happy to eat that stuff in the stroller, just not at actual meals!
Also, depending on if your DD is potty trained, the potties at Disney can be terrifying. My daughter was potty trained for a year when we went and even with paper or a hand over the sensor to assure her they wouldn't flush, she still flipped out every time, tried to hold it, had accidents, etc, etc.

This was my daughter! Her first ride on the carousel ended in tears with her clinging to the horse my husband went to pull her off of the horse and I had to literally pry her fingers off. We then spent 15 min trying to explain that there were other rides... and this was her first ride in the park! We kept her away until the end of the night and then let her ride a good 10 straight times at least before we left for the evening. Sadly she now bypasses the carousel for roller coasters... and the reason we didn’t get back in line initially was that there was like a 20 min wait since it was thanksgiving week. Plus no matter what we had to get her off when the ride ended! That is definitely one of those not funny at the time but funny later memories.

Take a stroller.

Take snacks and water.

Remember there is magic in watching your daughter enjoy her first Mickey Bar and dance in the rain puddles.

Awww that is so sweet & such a good reminder!!!! It's the little things :) :)

This was my daughter! Her first ride on the carousel ended in tears with her clinging to the horse my husband went to pull her off of the horse and I had to literally pry her fingers off. We then spent 15 min trying to explain that there were other rides... and this was her first ride in the park! We kept her away until the end of the night and then let her ride a good 10 straight times at least before we left for the evening. Sadly she now bypasses the carousel for roller coasters... and the reason we didn’t get back in line initially was that there was like a 20 min wait since it was thanksgiving week. Plus no matter what we had to get her off when the ride ended! That is definitely one of those not funny at the time but funny later memories.

I'm sure that will be my DD! LOL I'll have to remember that it's something we will laugh about later & to just relax & enjoy seeing disney through her eyes! :)

Good Advice! Thanks!!! I'll have to remember to just breathe & let her enjoy the carousel 10 times, too! :)

Be SUPER flexible--any expectations you may have, you can probably just toss them in the bin.

Also make sure you find time to let her run around, since a lot of your days in the parks will be spent with her in a stroller or waiting in line or sitting on a ride. That's all well and good and fun, but littles need time and space to run around. One thing I regret from when we took OS when he was 2 was not doing early mornings and late evenings so that he could have the afternoon to rest, run around, or do whatever he needed--he did okay, but I feel like he would've had much more fun if he'd been given a chance to run around every day instead of just our day in AK.

If she's not used to traveling a lot, make sure you pack plenty of familiar stuff from home for bedtime to help her get comfortable enough to rest. With OS, we had his favorite blankie, his stuffed Puppy, and his favorite pillow. We also played Fantasia for him every night as he fell asleep because he was used to that at home (the music, at least).

Show her the Disney World planning DVD and other Disney World videos on YouTube to help her get used to the things she'll see and hear when she's there, and in terms of plans, try to focus your more solid plans on things that will mean a lot to her: meeting a favorite character, having a favorite treat, etc.

It'll be a lot of fun. She probably won't remember a lot of it (OS only remembers anything because I show him pictures), but trust me, the memories you'll have will be well worth it! :)

We'll definitely have to start watching disney world videos on youtube! Good Idea!!

Take everything you know and throw it out the window. Flexibility is key with that age. EVERYONE'S KID IS DIFFERENT.

My 20 month old stroller napped and was up at 7 most mornings, staying awake until about 8 most nights.

Aim for quality and not quantity. There was one day we didn't even use all our FPs, she was too hot and cranky, it was just easier to cancel them and bail on the ride we had planned.

I'm hoping we can try to do our best to make this trip about her! And I really hope I can get her to nap in her stroller... she's never been on to do that so we'll see! I'm hoping for some disney magic & she'll just konk out! haha Good advice -- just go with the flow! Got it :) Thanks!!

I'm hoping we can try to do our best to make this trip about her! And I really hope I can get her to nap in her stroller... she's never been on to do that so we'll see! I'm hoping for some disney magic & she'll just konk out! haha Good advice -- just go with the flow! Got it :) Thanks!!

She hated every ride, so I just stopped trying to make rides a focus. She was just as happy wandering the animal trails at AK or through the world showcase, climbing on every park bench she saw.

She loved fur characters, was a little freaked out by face characters.

We'll definitely have to start watching disney world videos on youtube! Good Idea!!

I've started doing it again with OS in preparation for our next trip in about two years but who's counting, and the other day, after one ride video (Soarin'), he turned to me and said, "Mommy, I think magic really IS real."

So you've got that to look forward to as well :)

I've started doing it again with OS in preparation for our next trip in about two years but who's counting, and the other day, after one ride video (Soarin'), he turned to me and said, "Mommy, I think magic really IS real."

So you've got that to look forward to as well :)

Oh my gosh that's the sweetest thing ever!!! I am so so excited!!!! Enjoy your trip, too!!

She hated every ride, so I just stopped trying to make rides a focus. She was just as happy wandering the animal trails at AK or through the world showcase, climbing on every park bench she saw.

She loved fur characters, was a little freaked out by face characters.

Really, that seems backwards about the characters!! But, anything is possible!! And wow, yes, I'll have to remember to do my best to not get mad if she just wants to run from park bench to park bench! HAHA :) at least she's free!

Good Advice! Thanks!!! I'll have to remember to just breathe & let her enjoy the carousel 10 times, too! :)
My experience was it’s a small world over and over and over again!!!! ( they all hate it now) I agree with plenty of snacks, take it slow, and enjoy. At that age mine loved the characters but I know plenty that are scared too. Definitely make time to let her run somewhere safe. As others have said, there is a lot of stroller time and they need to run sometimes

When we took our first trip with kids they were 6 and 3. In addition to the dining plan, we also had a load of groceries delivered to our hotel room. It was mostly snacks and kid items for convenience. That made a world of difference and we will do it again in the fall when we return for our youngest's first visit (she will also be 2).

Really, that seems backwards about the characters!! But, anything is possible!! And wow, yes, I'll have to remember to do my best to not get mad if she just wants to run from park bench to park bench! HAHA :) at least she's free!

My son, at days shy of 2, also preferred the fur characters to the face ones. He wasn't scared of the face ones, but it was more like just another stranger coming up to him so he was shy and a bit standoffish with most of them. I'm sure part of it was that he wasn't that familiar with the princess movies and most likely didn't recognize that they were a character. He really surprised me with the fur characters though. He has some anxiety around strangers, but I think to him, the fur characters were "safe" since they didn't look like people. Even the ones that he had no knowledge of whatsoever before the trip (like Pooh and friends), he ran right up to. My favorite memory of the entire trip was with Pluto. My son wasn't really talking before the trip, but was suddenly talking up a storm with Pluto who probably couldn't understand a word he was saying but played the part well and kept up the conversation with gestures that my son seemed to understand perfectly. The magic I saw in his eyes was like he was seeing a long lost best friend.

I also second the suggestions that you take things at her place and try to see the parks through her eyes. It's so magical seeing how little ones view the parks and what they notice. Without even knowing Hidden Mickeys were a thing, my son found some and pointed them out. We rode the Mexico ride repeatedly when there was no wait because he was playing "hide and seek" with Donald, trying to find him in each scene. We skipped a FP because he was having so much fun playing on the light up carpets in the Imagination pavilion.

Sorry for all the stories, but I was trying to highlight some of the most magical moments of the trip and how they were all things I never would have expected. Go in with few expectations, don't be afraid to throw any plans out the window, and most importantly, try to see everything through her eyes. That's where the Disney magic is.

I've answered this one a lot. Here are a few top level suggestions.

Plan your day around meals and breaks not around attractions and shows.

Bring a backpack not a single strap bag (if you still use one).

Buy a cheap umbrella stroller and bring it with you unless you don't mind paying for a rental.

No more than 2 park days in a row.

Bring snacks.

I just got back with my son, who is 2.5. It was rough, I'll be honest.

The Good

-We rented a full size crib from A Baby's Best Friend, since they mostly had Pack n Plays. That saved us quite a bit.
-We stayed at a monorail resort which also saved us. When we needed to escape, we were able to get out of there pretty quickly.
-He liked the splash pad, the monorail, Dumbo, and the Carousel. Everything else he just kept asking to go home.
-We mostly stayed at the Magic Kingdom. He was too short for most of the stuff at the Studios so we skipped that. He like Animal Kingdom but it was hard to negotiate a stroller when it was so narrow and busy.
-They had lots of healthy foods and "kid" foods at all the restaurants.
-Due to a series of misadventures, we had to call in babysitters suddenly. Disney is pushing Kids Night Out as their "official" provider now, but we couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. We called Fairy Godmothers and they were wonderful!

The Bad

-He was not into it AT ALL. He kept asking "We go home now?" and saying "It's too loud" and "Who all these people?". He didn't want to ride on the stroller and he didn't want to walk on the toddler leash. What he really wanted was 20 square feet of clear land where he could run out of control so after every second or third ride, I would try and find some place where he could be free for a while.
-He woke up at 5 am every day, and napped only 10 minutes at a time. Be prepared for sleep disturbances!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter