2 days and counting!! Question...

pumba's mom

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for Disneyland in two days... can't wait. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel Tues - Sat and then we are off onto the Disney Magic to Mexico. Just wondering....if we have time which of the following should we visit during our stay....Universal, Magic Mountain, or Knotts Berry Farm?? We have no kids and love rollercoasters (except those that go backwards), and would love a nice, clean park. We are not renting a car so we would need transportation.

I believe that Knotts has the most coasters..and is much closer than Universal...Universal really does not have any roller coasters except for a small indooor one (Revenge of the Mummy) which is really more of a dark ride than a coaster...sorry I do not know much about Magic Mountain...as for clean....not sure on that one either...have fun...so jealous that you are doing cruise.....I watched it go through the Panama Canal and tears came to my eyes...

Knott's is close and has a lot of coasters (more than I can do in one day). Magic Mountian is also a coaster park but it is a ways away. Knott's is very clean, pretty park that we really love. The Gohst town are is really neat to look around at, the food is pretty good (Bossenberry Punch is wonderful).
If you go to Knott's search around for a discount. A few weeks back when we went there were several.

Hey, pumba's mom...have you joined our cruise chat on the cruise board? We are roughly on the same schedule: Wed-Fri at DL, Sat on the boat! I'm getting so excited! We are doing a pre-cruise meeting Fri at DL for the cruisers who have been chatting on DIS.

I would say Magic Mountain has the MOST coasters, but is also far, far away. You can get a bus up there from DL area, but it can get pricey (and will take all day).

We don't do Snotts when we're down, but others have said some nice things about it.

We're hitting Universal after the boat, but I haven't been there is 20 years so can't tell you much about it (last time I went, they were filming Jaws and all we did was ride a tram thru the parting of the sea...which was broken that day so it was dry as a bone).

I've been to all three parks within the last couple years. I like all three but they are very different from DL and each other.

Magic Mountain is THE roller coaster park for So Cal! It has something like 20 roller coasters including some of the largest and fastest in the country! Disadvantages--- The only really practical way to get there is to rent a car for the day. It is about an hour from DL straight north on the 5. Because it has so many coasters it attracts a different crowd than DL and is not as clean and pretty, but is decent. Also food generally sucks so eat outside the park. It will be hot (they have misters in line) if the current weather holds. It is supposed to hit near 100 today.

Knotts is a lot closer, has some coasters, but not as many as MM. I like it there it has some great rides and shows (love Mystery Lodge) but large parts of the park are just shops and carnival type rides. Clean? Well, it's not DL, but it's ok. Best thing there I think is the Chicken Dinner Restaurant which is outside of the park. Love those biscuts.

Universal has grown a lot in the last few years. Still not that many rides and only one that could be called a coaster, and it's not that big of a thrill. Still it's a fun park with lots of shows and and some great rides. It is sort of between Knotts and MM are far as distance from DL. If you go, don't miss T3, Jurasic Park and Back to the Future. Again food is not their strong point, but there are some great places in Universal City Walk just outside the park.

All three are fun in their own way and could be done in one day. Check out their web sites for more info. Have fun deciding and be sure to post a trip report (especially about the cruise) when you get back. We are on the June 25th sailing.

Cheryl :wave:

Pumba's Mom and Challada,
Did either of you buy the Disney Transfers to the ship? We are going on the 7/17 Mexican cruise and would love to know how the transfers work? Since we are there doing the actual birthday, we have elected not to visit any other parks, but would love to visit Knotts.. Everyone, says it is nice. Please post about your cruise. :goodvibes

Yes we booked Disney transfers from DL to the ship and then the ship to LAX. The cost was $25 per person per transfer. Not sure of times or anything.

Please let me know how the transfers work. We booked the transfer also, but I've that we have to transport our own luggage from airport to hotel, then transport luggage to GC(because that is where they are doing the pick-up). I wish we had the Magical Express that they are offering at WDW for free. I am so excited for you and can't wait to read your post. Have a safe journey out west and Bon Voyage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter