2 Days at TDR- so jetlagged, but still magical! Except for the missing Chandu tails...

We've not been to China yet. DD is very enthusiastic about the attention. She specifically asked me which costume would get her the most attention at TDL (and be most comfortable with the weather.) And again, I think it helps we're just two people. We seem a lot less threatening and I understand a smattering of Japanese as well. I can't remember if she was as popular in USJ. We do get a lot of kawaiis though and it does help a lot with foreign face characters who go right up to us.

I'd never seen a foreigner asked for an autograph before either. It's possible she did something that subtlety hinted she wanted to sign something for them. I'll be honest, I was somewhat distracted by the downpour and keeping us from being soaked while waiting to meet Mickey. I have dark hair, so unless I am somewhere out in the countryside I don't get that much attention and I don't get photo requests, mostly I've just gotten curiosity and friendliness and possibly a few guys trying to pick me up. >>; I have an African-American friend who use to live in Tokyo, and she was positively mobbed when we went to Kakunodate together. I am glad that didn't happen to DD since I think that might have overwhelmed her.

Yes, the roommate in question was blonde, and she had an African American model friend. I'm dark haired and for the first time rather glad about that!

I was rather surprised to see so few Westerners at the parks, really, and even fewer families with children.

I love how the Japanese dress up for Disney. I am not the sort of person who asks for photos of other people but the identical outfits really cracked me up. My sister and I, circa 1990. And just like the dresses mom stuffed us into, the kids in the park are dressed up, not just in costume.

Didn't do photos so can't comment.
I had a LOT of shopping delivered to my Disney hotel. Not sure why they'd have an issue with that.
Surprised she was stopped so much. Usually it's the Chinese and the Japanese are too polite.

Lucky. They were not willing to do so for me and it is one of many reasons I would seriously reconsider staying at a Tokyo Disney hotel vs a luxury hotel in Tokyo. The 15 minutes early entry was nice, and the location was spectacular (I use to think the CA hotels were close to the parks!) but for the same price I can have better food and a more luxurious experience elsewhere.

Yeah, my friend who was mobbed in Kakunodate was mobbed by Chinese, though in Hirosaki the people who asked for pictures were definitely Japanese. I forget where they were from.

In our case at TDR, I remember the two people whose hands she signed were from Niigata. So I guess they could be Chinese people living in Niigata, but they were definitely living in Japan and not other tourists. It was never mobs of people, just usually two or three at a time. I'd say the majority of pictures were character pictures, but we were stopped as well. Everyone spoke Japanese, we didn't encounter obvious Chinese tourists until we got to Kansai and Miyajima.

For the Cosplayers, we asked some of the Card Captor Sakura ones if they would be willing to let us take their photos and then they each wanted a picture with DD. A group of cosplayers of characters I didn't know then asked for pictures and DD decided next year she wants to cosplay so she gets more attention and more pictures lol I assume they were all Japanese attending the event as everyone spoke Japanese, but who knows?

In Kyoto, she enchanted the staff at the Kyoto Dormy Hotel and a bunch of the female workers called over co-workers when we were picking up our bags to come and see my daughter and how cute she was.

But to be fair when she was younger we got stopped by Japanese in Disneyland for pictures as well. Again, I think it is because she is very outgoing and there are only two of us so we seem more accessible.

I think when we were at Sea, we didn't see any other Western children under the age of 10. It was a super rainy day (which I was glad of! we went on Nemo 2x had relatively short lines for characters, and loved Ariel's area. We saw a few other foreign children our second day in DL. (we had park hoppers and our first day DL was even quieter than Sea. We road Hunny Hunt 3x with under 10 minute waits and Monsters with under 10 minutes. I will now always pray for rain when visiting TDR, though it cut down on characters and would have been awful for Splash Mountain.)

I think I saw one or two other obvious non-Asian children at the TDR hotel and one night eating at our favorite vegan ramen place we met a foreign vegetarian family with two young children currently living in Tokyo and coming from TDR. They were super hungry because they agreed TDR sucks for vegetarians. I think I saw the most obviously foreign children in Kyoto which was our experience in 2016.

In Tanabe, an older woman once asked me if I dyed my hair to be so dark. I've never had light hair. lol

I saw a store in Shinjuku that looked like it was specifically selling Disney character themed clothes. If I can lose some more weight I would be really tempted to get things, the Daisy set was so cute as was the Donald and were just "normal" enough that they probably wouldn't get you ejected from the US parks.

Last edited:
Typo in my post sorry. Supposed to say "first bus TO Disney." And yes, airport limousine. Nicer that magical express imo. Stops at all the official hotels.
Thanks for the clarification...first time we're traveling to Japan so excited and trying to get all the details right... Is it easy to take the airport limousine, I mean can you get tickets at the counter or advance tickets are preferable?

Thanks for the clarification...first time we're traveling to Japan so excited and trying to get all the details right... Is it easy to take the airport limousine, I mean can you get tickets at the counter or advance tickets are preferable?

Easy to buy them at the bus ticket counter.

Photopass refused to take pictures of us with characters unless we agreed to purchase the pictures ahead of time, they also took fewer pictures of us than the Japanese guests and we got whichever picture they felt was best and never even saw the 2nd one vs. the 5+ they took of Japanese people.

How did you obtain photopass? Did you buy it in the park or prior?

Photopass refused to take pictures of us with characters unless we agreed to purchase the pictures ahead of time, they also took fewer pictures of us than the Japanese guests and we got whichever picture they felt was best and never even saw the 2nd one vs. the 5+ they took of Japanese people.

How did you obtain photopass? Did you buy it in the park or prior?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter