2 Person Scooter?

The angle of the straps is very important for maintaining stability. Makes me nervous just thinking that the bus drivers don't know that? But you say that you've loaded larger ones before, so the straps must be set to accommodate for that then. I've seen an ECV tip on a bus. It's scary.
I have a friend that broke her hip because the scooter fell over because her scooter wasn't properly secured. This was at Disneyland on the Toy Story bus, which uses similar tie downs. This was using a regular scooter that was well within the size limitations. The bus driver simply wasn't concerned with tying it down properly. So I am with you that it is scary if bus drivers are not aware of this.

I have a friend that broke her hip because the scooter fell over because her scooter wasn't properly secured. This was at Disneyland on the Toy Story bus, which uses similar tie downs. This was using a regular scooter that was well within the size limitations. The bus driver simply wasn't concerned with tying it down properly. So I am with you that it is scary if bus drivers are not aware of this.
Some ECV with someone on them are just to top heavy it would not matter who it was tied down it would tip

Some ECV with someone on them are just to top heavy it would not matter who it was tied down it would tip
That was not the case here, the ECV with the person was definitely not top heavy. It was indeed improperly secured (as verified by a transportation supervisor). Needless to say all bus drivers got massively retrained after that out here. Not sure if Disney World bus drivers also got the retraining, but I would hope so and I would hope they would be required to be retained every so often as a refresher on the correct way to tie down ECVs.

Your center of gravity is high when sitting on a scooter. When on a bus I found myself holding on tight to the side rail in order to prevent both myself and the scooter tipping over when the bus took a tight curve. This is the case even when the scooter is properly tied down and you use the seat belt. It's safer to transfer to a seat rather than stay on an ECV on a moving bus.

Your center of gravity is high when sitting on a scooter. When on a bus I found myself holding on tight to the side rail in order to prevent both myself and the scooter tipping over when the bus took a tight curve. This is the case even when the scooter is properly tied down and you use the seat belt. It's safer to transfer to a seat rather than stay on an ECV on a moving bus.
While I agree with you, this person is unable to transfer, but again, even the transportation manager/supervisor admitted that the ECV was improperly secured. This is a fact that is not being disputed in any shape or form by Disney or Anaheim Resort Transit (the company that provides the shuttle service to the Toy Story lot for Disney) and points to the fact that the bus drivers may not have been properly trained on proper tie down procedures and the significance.

This thread has been forwarded to me and I believe I am the owner of the blue ECV in question. It has in fact been modified to carry my daughter and I. She used a wheelchair for many years before I needed one.
It fits in all of the required templates, and all bus tie downs and the Skyliner. It has been verified by WDW cast members, photographed by them, and carries a tag on the back lower left frame that indicates that the ECV is approved. It looks larger because the seat back is quite tall, and the wheels are all terrain. The seat has been modified so my daughter has plenty of space to sit. She has her own foot rest and hand rest areas, and we are both seat belted.
You are welcome to ask us any questions, and or measure it! The photos were taken at Hollywood Studios and I believe they can be viewed there for verification. The modification was made by replacing the original seat with a longer one and the seat belt replaced by a larger one. The rest of the chair is all original.
I hope this answers everyones questions.

Interesting, nice that it fits within the template, but how do you get around the rule that the ECV can only be designed for one person to ride? The rule is quite clear on that (even though I think it would be better and safer to have a properly designed two person ECV than two individual ECVs in many cases), so curious how they consider it approved when it violates a key rule? Just curiosity here, because I would think this could be useful for a variety of different situations. For example a single parent with a stroller aged child that can't necessarily walk the park on their own. Obviously that would require a little different design, I am sure, but it happens.

I’m not sure but I think we are the first to bring this to WDW. I believe the policy you are quoting is designed to prevent 2 people on an ECV that is designed for one person and the second rider is not safely provided for. That is why ours has a tag of approval from WDW that the other ECV models do not qualify for. Also, there is a difference between an ECV and a wheelchair.

I believe the policy you are quoting is designed to prevent 2 people on an ECV that is designed for one person and the second rider is not safely provided for.
Probably this, as well as to prevent people from brining in the oversized, factory-designed models.

I’m not sure but I think we are the first to bring this to WDW. I believe the policy you are quoting is designed to prevent 2 people on an ECV that is designed for one person and the second rider is not safely provided for. That is why ours has a tag of approval from WDW that the other ECV models do not qualify for. Also, there is a difference between an ECV and a wheelchair.
You could be right, just the way it is worded on their website would be concerning to me for this situation.

Interesting, nice that it fits within the template, but how do you get around the rule that the ECV can only be designed for one person to ride? The rule is quite clear on that (even though I think it would be better and safer to have a properly designed two person ECV than two individual ECVs in many cases), so curious how they consider it approved when it violates a key rule? Just curiosity here, because I would think this could be useful for a variety of different situations. For example a single parent with a stroller aged child that can't necessarily walk the park on their own. Obviously that would require a little different design, I am sure, but it happens.
This is a first for WDW, but I would think more might show up. When the rule was written, it was to prevent two people from riding an ECV designed for one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!