2014, a year to finally be proud of (comments welcome)

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
The INSPIRATION!

Many of you know me from my 365 day challenge journal, and it is time for me to start fresh and finally get healthy.

The title is inspired by the fact that at Christmas Eve we went to go visit DFIL's gravesite. DH asked the kids to tell grandpa something they were proud of from this past year. I silently thought to myself that I couldn't come up with one personal accomplishment that I was proud of. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? 365 days and not one accomplishment? time is way to precious, and I feel I spent it on the couch doing a whole lot of nothing.

I did get a chance to go to WDW and DLR within a 3 week time frame. That was awesome! However my health got in the way. I couldn't walk normal. I had torn a hamstring in April and suffered the consequences for a long time. In fact at WDW I had to do a modified "duck walk" to get around. At DLR I was taking pain killers to be able to move around. Not good.

I am scared...

This year I probably will need surgery because of the knee. I have a torn meniscus and grade 4/5 cartilage loss. I've researched it and grade 4 is the highest I've found... how bad is my knee that I have grade 5 loss???? I am scared that I will need a knee replacement. WTH have I done to myself???

It is way past time to get going... I've pushed the snooze button once too many times.

I have thought long and hard about my plan. I've learned through my struggles that I need to find what will work for me, not just now, but for the long run. My daily challenge thread was great, but too hard to keep up with. I thought about making it a weekly challenge, but that isn't enough time to really make changes to stick to it, so I am making changes and challenges to be a month long. At the end of each month I'll keep what is working, modify what isn't, add some more to make it "just right" for me.

So for January...

1. Log my food into my fitness pal app. Staying within the calorie allotment.
2. soda available only if we go out to eat, which will be limited.
3. Exercise 5x a week... 1/2 hour... only if my knee allows it. I may be doing "sit and be fit" but at least I'll be moving! ANd I know I need to strengthen my arms for the inevitable crutches or walker depending on the type of surgery I have.
4. eat 2 fruits and 3 veggies daily.

I know this is a doable plan. I am not being to rigid, and my ultimate goal is to loose 2# a week.

So, I have my plan in place for weight loss, but there are other areas of my life I want to improve on and make accomplishments. some may seem silly, but it will be "just right" for me.

Scrapbooks:
complete DS's Eagle Ceremony, DH's high adventure, 2013 Disney trips, 2012 road trip; and scrapbook together DD's school year

Spiritual:
1.go to Services 6 x a year (please don't judge me, we usually only go 2x a year, so I am increasing it to something I know we can accomplish)
2. Read a spiritual related book a month. currently reading a GREAT book and look forward to reading something monthly.

Home:
Declutter every room!

Photos:
organize the loose photos and place in albums

Family and friends:
Spend more time fostering realtionships

So for now I bought a planner and am laying out in the planner smalls steps to accomplish these big goals. I know I can do them, and I can get there. I need to have faith in myself that I can do it and courage to get past the tough spots.

I will have to work around my surgery, but I know I can do these... No longer an option, but it is IMPERATIVE I loose weight, and get healthy.

Here is to a GREAT 2014... a year to be proud of!party:

Well, I'm on board! Those sound like some good goals!

Do you mind if I ask what book you are reading? If you like history or learning, you may enjoy Adam Hamilton's books. They look at the actual historical sites and significance of things in the Bible. One book is on the Bethlehem and Nazareth that Jesus knew and talks about the different places and their significance of the birth narrative (including things like the importance of names). Another one is called The Way and does the same thing with the places from his ministry. He also has one the focuses on the crucifixion.

Good luck with your goals!

Well, I'm on board! Those sound like some good goals!

Do you mind if I ask what book you are reading? If you like history or learning, you may enjoy Adam Hamilton's books. They look at the actual historical sites and significance of things in the Bible. One book is on the Bethlehem and Nazareth that Jesus knew and talks about the different places and their significance of the birth narrative (including things like the importance of names). Another one is called The Way and does the same thing with the places from his ministry. He also has one the focuses on the crucifixion.

Good luck with your goals!

Thanks for the support! I am currently reading "my so called life as a Proverbs 31 wife". It is REALLY good and she has great humor that keeps you wanting to read more. It is inspiring me to be a better wife/person.

The books you have listed sound very interesting. I'll be sure to add those to my list of books for the year!

Or in my case... what addiction came first... potato chips or soda? WOW, I can not believe how hard yesterday was regarding soda. I didn't have any and actually found that I dreamt about it! I am seriously addicted to soda. I didn't have any chips either yesterday, but did not long for those as I did the soda. I am very proud that I didn't drink any yesterday, even with how hard it was. I wish I liked coffee, but for now I am just drinking water and milk. I know I consciously have to think about drinking water too. I don't think I truly realized how much soda I was drinking. hopefully conquering that addiction will help the weight loss efforts in the long run.

I also have an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor. But not for 3 weeks. ughhh, that will be a long, stressful wait... but on the upside, I should be 6 pounds lighter!:thumbsup2

I have been doing pretty good with some of the resolutions.

The one thing I have really worked at hard is the no soda rule! I have had it with take out food, but I've been so good about not having it otherwise, I am so proud of myself!

This week I am going to focus on not snacking after dinner and getting the foods logged and calories counted, I started with counting calories, but didn't continue, so I am going to focus on adding in these 2 this coming week.

Nice job in the soda! I'm a sometimes diet coke drinker (I know, it's so bad for you) but remind myself how much cheaper it is to just have a water instead if I'm eating out...works for me sometimes, but sometimes I just need a boost of the caff a cup of coffee just can't give as quickly.

Congrats on the progress & keep it up!

Good job on the soda. I used to be a Dew addict. I am now strictly a black tea drinker. I have found that now that I no longer drink soda, when I do slip up and have one, I just don't feel that good afterwards. Once your body adjusts to no soda, I think you will find it is much easier to maintain that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter