2016 WDW Marathon Journey (Comments Welcome)

So every year around this time I start developing problems. Each year it is something different and this year looks like that isn't going to change. After taking it somewhat easy since my half, I thought I may avoid a injury this year. NOPE! I woke up this morning with a stiff knee joint. It took a few steps to get it to bend normal. Last year things started around my inner thigh, and I tried to run anyway which lead to a issue in the bottom of my feet. It felt like my toes where going over one another and had some pain in my arches. I was treated and ran the marathon, but not at the pace I wanted. The year before I had a inflamed tendon (or something) the made it felt like I was running with rocks in my shoes. The marathon before that one, I also had a similar issues with my foot but on the other foot. So, at various times my knee area has felt stressed, but it was muscular and only required some additional strength exercises to correct it. This year its a joint issue in the knee. Hopefully this is just something short term and resolves itself quickly, but I know that's not likely the case. :charac2:
Welcome to my world.

Getting older - it sure stinks, but it beats the heck out of the alternative.

Welcome to my world.

I agree getting older sucks but I did not think I was getting that old. Maybe I am though, next week I turn 32. That's not really that old though, I mean I'm no spring chicken but I figured I had at least another 3-5 years before I stopped setting PR's.

Welcome to my world.

I agree getting older sucks but I did not think I was getting that old. Maybe I am though, next week I turn 32. That's not really that old though, I mean I'm no spring chicken but I figured I had at least another 3-5 years before I stopped setting PR's.

When I was in my early 20s, I ran a 4:34 mile. When I was in my early 30s, the best that I could manage was 5:40. I am now 48 and can't break 6 minutes no matter how hard I train. When I get close, I get injured. Just can't do the same workouts without risking injury, and sometimes I just wake up hurting. But pain is a reminder that I am still above ground. :upsidedow

Running Week Recap - 10/26 - 11/1

10/27 - 7.19 Mi @ ~ 8:25 pace +
10/30 - 2 Mi @ 8:13 pace +
- .3 Mi Cool Down

Weekly Total 9.5 Miles
October Total 124.67 Miles
Bike Total = 16.39

To say the second half of October was a disappointment would be a understatement. I believe I have given my knee enough time to recover and will start the training program back up again today. My neck/shoulder is still acting up, but I can run through that issue, its just a little annoying. To look on the positive side of things I did improve some race times and training runs.

10/3 - 15 Mi PR
10/5 - 9 Mi PR
10/6 - 5 Mi PR
10/18 - 13.1 Mi PR (Race)
10/21 - 11 Mi PR

I hope to hit 200+ miles this month, but at the current moment I am not sure exactly how likely that is until I get a few runs in this week. Other side note, the time change sucks! Its going to be dark before I get home now.

The knee issue has seemed to improve with the rest days taken last week. The last two runs have went well and have woken up each morning without any knee pain! Now the question is, do I run the planned 16 miles this weekend, or try to get in 18-20 miles which is what I missed? I feel that I really need to get in a good long run to build some confidence, so I leaning towards somewhere around 18 miles...

Just as soon as I thought the knee was improving it starts acting up again... Took yesterday afternoon off and got a few miles in this morning without any issue with that. But its never that simple... Not really sure how to proceed with the problems I dealing with at this point. My thinking at this point is to take it a little easier on the midweek runs and make sure I get the long runs in over the weekend. It's looking more and more like a repeat from the last training cycle. Funny that these things are coming up today to remind me I am getting older. Today I turn 32 and tomorrow is DD birthday, and she will be 2! Fun times around the house the week!

Happy birthday!

I'm sorry to hear that the knee is still bothering you. Have you seen a doctor? If you haven't, you might want to - even if the doctor just confirms that it is whatever you think it is, he or she may have some recommendations.
I think taking is easier will definitely help, but if that doesn't work, definitely see the doctor. Even if it's the same thing you had last time, a different way of handling the problem may prevent it from happening again.

Happy Birthday! And now matter what just remember you will always be younger than me and since I consider myself not old, neither are you :) (that's something right??)

Happy Birthday! And now matter what just remember you will always be younger than me and since I consider myself not old, neither are you :) (that's something right??)

Thanks! I really don't think I am old, just feeling that way since things are falling apart. lol

Running Week Recap - 11/2 - 11/8

11/2 - 6 Mi @ 8:18 pace +
11/3 - 13.1 TM Mi @ 8:35 pace -
11/5 - 3.1 Mi @ 8:19 pace +
11/6 - 4 Mi @ 8:30 pace +
11/7 - 17 Mi @ 8:51 pace +

Felt good to finally get over the 16 mile mark this weekend. Overall a good week running. Tigers got their first "L" for the season this weekend. That is now 5 in row we drop to Bama.... very frustrating.

Congrats on getting over the 16 mile mark!
How's your knee feeling?

Thanks! The last time I ran 16 I had a very bad run and missed the last two weekend long runs, so before the next increase came up, it was important to me to get to something higher than 16. My knee is doing fine, which is a bit surprising... Thanks for asking.

Running Week Recap 11/9 - 11/15

11/10 - 5.1 TM Mi @ 8:48 pace -
11/11 - 8.3 TM Mi @ 8:37 pace -
11/13 - 4 Mi @ 7:47 pace +
11/14 - 14 Mi @ 8:27 pace +

Weekly Total = 31.43 Mi
Monthly Total = 74.65 Mi
Bike Total = 4.6 Mi

Still not following the plan 100%, but I am at least getting some runs in. Had my first run of the season with temps below 50! I really hope its cold marathon morning!!!! Well, this week is the big week in the training program. The Tigers are out of the big picture, so I have one less excuse.

Great work LL! Isn't this weather the best...except for the rain!
Can't wait to see how this week went for you.
I'm still crying over the last two games!

Running Week Recap 11/16 - 11/22

11/16 - 7 TM Mi @ 8:41 pace -
11/17 - 11.1 TM Mi @ 8:20 pace +
11/19 - 12 TM Mi @ 8:49 pace +
11/20 - 3.1 TM Mi @ 8:41 pace +
11/21 - 20 Mi @ 8:51 pace +

Weekly Total = 53.24 miles
Monthly Total = 127.89 miles

A lot of late night miles in the TM this past week. The 12 miler did not get started until after 9PM, but I got it done. The only run that was cut short was Fridays run, but it had also started late and I wanted to get a little sleep for the 20 miler the next morning. Speaking of the 20 miler, I went to bed with the weather report of low 50's and 20% chance of rain. After 6-8 miles of running, I notice the wind is picking up and clouds rolling in. The clouds where awesome to look at. They looked like waves. Well it started to rain of course, and continued to do so until mile 16 ish. Then off and on some after that. It was a good week of running and my legs are feeling surprisingly well. Hopefully another high mileage week if things work out alright. Another exciting note, we hit 32 this morning, but it appears its going to warm up a but as the week goes by.

Great work LL! Isn't this weather the best...except for the rain!
Can't wait to see how this week went for you.
I'm still crying over the last two games!
Thanks! The weather is awesome and despite the rain, I still enjoyed my run (See post above). The rain distracts me from the miles to go, so I welcomed it. At least it wasn't 40 and rain. If you are upset about the last two games, this week you are either depressed or in a later stage of grieving... acceptance. Should be interesting to see what happens to Les in the coming weeks.

Holy treadmill! :eek: Great job getting those miles in!

I didn't even notice the TM = treadmill when I first read your log. Did you at least get a lot of shows watched during those runs? I wish I had a treadmill in my basement for that reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!