2016 WDW Marathon Journey (Comments Welcome)

I didn't even notice the TM = treadmill when I first read your log. Did you at least get a lot of shows watched during those runs? I wish I had a treadmill in my basement for that reason.

They do have a TV in the gym, but in only catches around 10-15 channels. We have a small gym at work, most of the people use it during lunch which includes a company paid trainer and I think protein shakes. I am usually the only one in there because I pick up DD on days DW works and then get things going at home. My last few TM runs haven't started until 8Pm or later. Last week I ran one run that started at 9:15PM. After a few stops (TM is just to boring) I finished the 12 miler around 11PM. Kinda hard to go to sleep after that so, I think I was up till 1 ish. Not ideal, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the miles in.
In my previous job I would get off of work with 1-2 hours of daylight so this is a new problem I am dealing with this fall/winter. I am grateful we have access to a free gym at work, I should probably use it for lifting weights too.

So shows/channels I watch: Fat Guys in the Woods and the weather channel in general. Love watching weather systems move across the country!
Family Guy
NOVA shows on PBS (Doc. shows about formation of our planet to where we are now)
Local News
Law & Order SVU

That's all I got. Went on a little ramble...

I am amazed at how many miles you can get in on the treadmill! I get bored of the treadmill after a while, so I'm always amazed when people can get in 10+ miles on the TM.
I'm guessing that even a rainy outdoor run was a relief after all that time on the treadmill. (Personally, I find that rain isn't that bad when running ... it gives me something else to think about and as long as I'm wearing good clothes, I don't feel that wet while running)

I am amazed at how many miles you can get in on the treadmill! I get bored of the treadmill after a while, so I'm always amazed when people can get in 10+ miles on the TM.
I'm guessing that even a rainy outdoor run was a relief after all that time on the treadmill. (Personally, I find that rain isn't that bad when running ... it gives me something else to think about and as long as I'm wearing good clothes, I don't feel that wet while running)

The TM runs are very mental because there is absolutely nothing you have to think about when running on them. I wished it rained more often when I ran (more so in the summer). I don't mind getting wet when I run, even when its cold my shirt is usually wet. Since I live in South Louisiana, we rarely get rain when its below 40. It's usually 60-70, rains, then temps drop after a front passes. I have run once when it was sleeting, and I could see how that could be an overrated experience for people who deal with that often. Since its a once in 5 years thing for us, I went for it. I actually wore a long sleeve shirt for that one. Are you wearing rain gear to run in? Wouldn't that get very hot despite outdoor temps?

Are you wearing rain gear to run in? Wouldn't that get very hot despite outdoor temps?

I run in long sleeves in almost all weather, so I'm used to being a little hot. But usually what I do in the rain is wear a good moisture-wicking long-sleeve shirt, or maybe a light rain jacket over a short sleeve shirt. I'm used to it, but I can see why it would get annoying if you're not used to it.

Running Week Recap 11/23 - 11/29

11/23 - 7.3 Mi TM @ 8:35 pace +
11/26 - 5.2 Mi @ 8:17 pace + Pushing the stroller
11/27 - 3.01 Mi TM @ 8:48 pace +
11/28 - 17.01 Mi @ 8:42 pace +

Weekly Total = 32.52
Monthly Total = 160.41
Bike Total = 8.76

Skipped a run and reduced mileage on another this week. Just one of those weeks with a lot going on. Got the long run in and felt good afterwards. It was a little warm, but there is chance it could be similar conditions at Disney so at least I am getting a good test on it. This upcoming weekend I have a half marathon and my scheduled run is 18 miles w/ 14 @ HMRP. I was playing with the idea of just racing the race and not getting the whole 18. It looks like the weather while be ideal for the race, but I haven't had a lot of speed work lately, and its unlikely that I will PR, so I may just run 5 miles to warm up and then use the race as practice for 13 miles at marathon pace. We will see how the week goes before I finalize that decision. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Running Week Recap 11/23 - 11/29

11/23 - 7.3 Mi TM @ 8:35 pace +
11/26 - 5.2 Mi @ 8:17 pace + Pushing the stroller
11/27 - 3.01 Mi TM @ 8:48 pace +
11/28 - 17.01 Mi @ 8:42 pace +

Weekly Total = 32.52
Monthly Total = 160.41
Bike Total = 8.76

Skipped a run and reduced mileage on another this week. Just one of those weeks with a lot going on. Got the long run in and felt good afterwards. It was a little warm, but there is chance it could be similar conditions at Disney so at least I am getting a good test on it. This upcoming weekend I have a half marathon and my scheduled run is 18 miles w/ 14 @ HMRP. I was playing with the idea of just racing the race and not getting the whole 18. It looks like the weather while be ideal for the race, but I haven't had a lot of speed work lately, and its unlikely that I will PR, so I may just run 5 miles to warm up and then use the race as practice for 13 miles at marathon pace. We will see how the week goes before I finalize that decision. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!
You've got some pretty consistent paces. I like the treadmill for speedwork because it helps me learn what different paces feel like.

You've got some pretty consistent paces. I like the treadmill for speedwork because it helps me learn what different paces feel like.
I'm so tired of the TM! I'm about to just run at night and hope a car doesn't hit me. The problem with the TM and my watch is I have to adjust the miles or time. The watch judges your arm movements for pace based on previous runs. Even though I run faster for some TM runs it shows a slower pace and thus few miles. Example would be a 6.8 mph = ~8:50 pace, then if I run at say 7.3 mph the watch says 8:50 ish pace when it's really closer to 8:15 ish. (Guessing at the moment) That means a mile on the TM at 8:15 turns into .9ish on watch and everything goes to hell. If I get some faster runs done outside the watch readjust and the paces fall back in line for TM runs. Most of my outdoor runs lately have been long runs and thus a actual slower pace. Hope some of that made sense. I'll edit tomorrow for mistakes when I get on a PC and not my phone.

November Recap

I guess since I ran 0.62 more miles than any previous month it was a good month, but I feel I could have done better. I was scheduled for 200 miles, and ended up with 171.63. The important thing is I was able to run all of the long runs on the schedule and I am building confidence in completing the marathon in January. The downer is I reduced some mileage and intensity on a few runs because I felt the early signs of past injuries starting to show up. I made it through the month, but with little to no speed work. Starting off this month I have my favorite toe problem/injury showing up. Its only uncomfortable while walking, but fine during my runs. If it start to improve soon, I will try to get some faster paced runs in, but for now I will just take it easy. I have a half marathon this Saturday which will more than likely be used as part of my planned long run instead of a race. I may make a race day decision on how to approach it. Weather is supposed to be perfect! 39 in the morning with highs in the mid 60's! 3 hard weeks left of running and than 3 much easier weeks to go. Almost there!

My watch doesn't monitor my pace at all on the treadmill, so I just try to pay attention to when I finish each mile (using the distance from the treadmill) and write it down. Which is one of the many reasons I prefer to run outside, but sometimes it's just not possible (although I've been pretty lucky this year).

Your November mileage is great, but I definitely get why you'd be disappointed. Injuries can really be a bummer. I hope your toe problem improves and you can get some speed work in this month!

Running Week Recap 11/30 - 12/6

11/30 - 11.22 TM Mi @ 8:48 pace +
12/1 - 5.11 TM Mi @ 8:33 Pace +
12/3 - 7 TM Mi @ 8:46 Pace -
12/4 - 5 Mi @ 8:11 pace +
12/5 - 18.15 Mi @ 8:12 pace +

Weekly Total = 46.49 Miles
December Total = 35.27 Miles

A decent week of running for me. Its difficult to judge progress on the TM runs, but when I get the opportunity to go outside and run, I am pleased with the times I am putting up. This weeks long run was planned as a 5 mile warm up followed by Baton Rouge Beach Half Marathon. The goal for the half marathon was to run @ a 7:45 pace or below 8:00. Out of the 13, I hit 10 below 8. A 3 mile section of the race has a few hills and I lost so steam on them with the slowest mile getting up to ~ 8:30. My unofficial time for the half was 1:44:1X. For the time being it looks like my goals are within reach for Disney. I do need to get a few more runs in to work on speed and being able to hold pace in the later miles of the race, and I feel I have just enough time left to get that done. The main thing is to stay healthy for the 30 days and pray for cold weather this January.

Official results from the half marathon from Saturday's training run. 1:44:05 chip time average pace 7:57/mile. 29/200 of male runners and 4th in age group. I'm happy with the outcome.

That is FANTASTIC!!! Well done I bet you are really proud of yourself!

Race weekend is getting so close now and what great way to build up to it!

Running Week Recap (Sort of) 12/7 - 12/13

12/7 - 6.2 TM Mi @ 8:35 pace +
12/10 - 4 Mi @ 8:11 pace +
12/11 - 3 Mi @ 7:50 pace+

Weekly Total = 13.2 Mi
December Total = 48.48

So that was not the plan... Early in the week I had a migraine that would not go away, which was followed with a stomach bug over the second half of the week. And that's how we ended up with 13 miles. Starting off this week on a positive note and feeling well.

I started paying attention to "still way to early forecast" for marathon morning, and its within an acceptable range. Currently its looking like mid 50's with a high in the low 70's, and sunny. Not perfect, but not bad either. I'll check it again in a few days to see if its changes any.

I was getting worried you had gotten bit by the injury bug since I hadn't seen many runs lately on Garmin. Glad to see it was much more short term. What do you have on tap for this last hard week?

I was getting worried you had gotten bit by the injury bug since I hadn't seen many runs lately on Garmin. Glad to see it was much more short term. What do you have on tap for this last hard week?

Thanks for your concern. The only injury I'm dealing with is a problem with my toe/foot, but it isn't enough of an issue to decrease miles, but I have slowed some of the faster paced runs down. Ill give it some rest after the marathon and depending on how that race day goes will determine if I train for a marathon in March or focus my attention on 5k's and 10k's to get some faster PR's.
This week started off with a easy 10, and 7 on tap for tonight. Rest on Wednesday, followed by 11, 4 and 20-22 on Saturday. Should be in the mid 30's for Saturdays run, so I am very happy about that. Should end up with a little over 50 miles for the week. I would like it to be in the mid 40's for marathon day or at least lower 50's, so I can give it my best shot. A March marathon is as much as a gamble as a race in Orlando as far as weather goes... What's you week looking like?

Thanks for your concern. The only injury I'm dealing with is a problem with my toe/foot, but it isn't enough of an issue to decrease miles, but I have slowed some of the faster paced runs down. Ill give it some rest after the marathon and depending on how that race day goes will determine if I train for a marathon in March or focus my attention on 5k's and 10k's to get some faster PR's.
This week started off with a easy 10, and 7 on tap for tonight. Rest on Wednesday, followed by 11, 4 and 20-22 on Saturday. Should be in the mid 30's for Saturdays run, so I am very happy about that. Should end up with a little over 50 miles for the week. I would like it to be in the mid 40's for marathon day or at least lower 50's, so I can give it my best shot. A March marathon is as much as a gamble as a race in Orlando as far as weather goes... What's you week looking like?

Good to hear. Rooting for you to get that marathon goal!

Easy 8 last night, 10 tonight with 6 at MP-10 sec in 2x3 mile intervals, 13 on Thurs (10 @ MP), 6 on Fri, 10 on Sat, 16 on Sun. Saturday/Sunday look like they'll be between 10-20 degrees. Going to start heat acclimating (wear more clothes during running than normal) soon so the shock of 50-70 degrees doesn't throw my muscles out of whack when I'm down in Florida. I've read it takes about 10-14 days and 6-7 workouts to acclimate. I'd LOVE for it to be in the 40s as well for Marathon Weekend. However, my wife is rooting for 80 degrees for this whole vacation thing (LOL!). Priorities... :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!