2017 College Dorm shopping on a Budget

Tennis balls, yes... they fit quite nicely over those nasty edges on dorm bunks
A small personal room fan...
A bed mattress Cover...
A lock and/or small safe box for personal items or xtra cash etc..
A cotton shower curtain, the plastic provided ones were too short and narrow...
A plastic tub to keep ur favorite non perishable food items secure. Try decorating it with some college colors n have fun!
Removable hooks/hanger tabs
Bed bath and beyond with coupons, target, Walmart are all dorm friendly. Good luck to all the freshmen!!

Tennis balls, yes... they fit quite nicely over those nasty edges on dorm bunks
A small personal room fan...
A bed mattress Cover...
A lock and/or small safe box for personal items or xtra cash etc..
A cotton shower curtain, the plastic provided ones were too short and narrow...
A plastic tub to keep ur favorite non perishable food items secure. Try decorating it with some college colors n have fun!
Removable hooks/hanger tabs
Bed bath and beyond with coupons, target, Walmart are all dorm friendly. Good luck to all the freshmen!!

Removable hooks are usually on the "no" list so maybe not. But over the door hooks are more useful anyway.

Don't forget a desk lamp and perhaps another lamp for her bed area. We found good towels for DD at Tuesday Morning. (They were better quality and less expensive than Target or similar.). We bought toiletries all year as sales occurred. I also started shopping early in her Senior year, as Target puts their Back to College items on clearance in late Aug/early Sept. Have fun!

OP, does the University put out a suggested list of dorm items, and items that are prohibited? I'd start there. One college both my kids considered only allowed their special microwave/refrigerator combo. You had to rent it from them. Their concern was the fridge and microwave running at the same time and overloading the circuits. These combo units shutoff the fridge off if the microwave is in use.

For shower shoes, just get a cheap pair of flip flops from Old Navy when they run one of their flip flop sails (usually close to Holiday weekends in the summer). That's what I used and they work great. I'm sure you've done this, but just as an aside make sure you check what she's going to have included in her dorm and what she's allowed/isn't allowed to bring so you don't waste money. My dorm actually had a mini fridge and microwave included and I saw several kids who hadn't known this show up with them on move in day- just something to think about! Plus, as another poster said, sometimes rooms are too small for fridges anyhow.

We used command strips with no problems in our rooms. Attached all kinds of things all over the place.

Some schools don't allow command strips. I can't stress enough that you read the dorm guidelines for putting stuff on the walls, minifridges, lofting beds, etc. They can really vary from school to school and dorm to dorm at a single school. Check also if the school or students post photos and/or floor plans for the dorm rooms. The dorm I stayed in in college had space in my first dorm room for a loveseat, mini fridge and two desks (school provided them) if we bunked the beds and put our school provided dressers in our closets. My next dorm room in the same dorm was much smaller and had windows on two walls which really limited furniture placement.

Some schools don't allow command strips. I can't stress enough that you read the dorm guidelines for putting stuff on the walls, minifridges, lofting beds, etc. They can really vary from school to school and dorm to dorm at a single school. Check also if the school or students post photos and/or floor plans for the dorm rooms. The dorm I stayed in in college had space in my first dorm room for a loveseat, mini fridge and two desks (school provided them) if we bunked the beds and put our school provided dressers in our closets. My next dorm room in the same dorm was much smaller and had windows on two walls which really limited furniture placement.

It was just a suggestion. That's what this thread isn't for.

Penny's has the quick dry towels normally on some type of sale and there always a coupon to use.

I would get a mattress cover along with the pillow covers.

Kohl's has some cute bed in bag and sheet sets for a fair price, make sure the sheets are cotton they are much cooler to sleep on. I would wait for Kohl's cash and then use the Kohl's cash on something else she will need.

You can also get the things that go on the legs of the bed to raise it up for storage underneath.

What about a safe or a foot locker with lock. So she can lock up her wallet, purse, laptop, Phone, and believe it or not make up especially if its good make up...and so forth. Some friends said the 1st week living in the dorm their daughter had her wallet stolen out of her room when she was in the shower in her room, It was a nightmare for them to get straighten out. Thank goodness she noticed it right away. Another friends son was asleep and they took his lap top, and wallet which was laying right next to him. DD worked as a server and always had a ton of cash so she would lock it up the minute she would get back to the dorm. She had a foot locker and then my DH mounted the safe to the inside of the locker, then chained the locker to the bed frame. She did end up having to lock up her makeup, snacks, drinks, and laundry supplies, as they had someone or group of someone's that just helped themselves to everyone stuff.

Get a printer, for me it was a safety issue knowing my DD would not be heading out late at night to print stuff, and that she could print whatever she needed at her finger tips.

A water proof phone case...just trust me on this... a water proof phone or case is a must...

Don't let her take anything that is not replaceable or has real sentimental value.

Some kind of laundry basket or laundry bag for the dirty clothes.

I have also read about a laptop lock. You can lock you laptop to your desk or even a table in the library in case you need to run to the restroom.
Something like this but on sale: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-defcon-coiled-cable-security-lock/8848378.p?skuId=8848378

What about area rugs?
My DS will be staying in approx 12x16 room with tile floor. I was thinking a rug about 10x12 would be good, but that would be pretty big and heavy to transport and some can be pricey. Plus it could end up needing a pad underneath.

I just got info this week from Brad's Deals that J.C. Penney has towels for $3.00. I think the 6 pack (2 towels, 2 hand towels, 2 wash rags) was about $12 after all deals with free shipping.

I just bought a mattress pad for my DD at Costco yesterday for $19. I was surprised to see a Twin XL and grabbed it as soon as I saw it. We have the egg crate and two sets of sheets left over from her brother (t-shirt material from Target). My son had a bed bug/allergy cover that I may also take if I can find it. She found a comforter set she liked for a great price at Target.com and with my Target debit card, we got an additional 5% off and free shipping, so it cost less than $25.

I bought the shower caddy for $5 (I think) at IKEA. I liked that it had drainage holes. I bought one of those kitchen drying mats to put on the floor of the closet for her shower shoes and caddy.

I did buy her shower shoes at Shoe Carnival. They are slides, but they have holes in the bottom for drainage. My DD doesn't wear flip flops (can't stand it between her toes).

We have also picked up desk lamp, etc. as we have been out shopping. That was a mistake because her brother brought one of those home too.

We have two different size mini-fridges from her brother, who is now in an apartment, and a microwave, so I don't have to buy those. I picked up a Keurig at Sam's on Black Friday last year, so if she wants it, she can take it.

We have been picking up toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, q-tips) as we shop so it won't be one huge outlay when we get there. Since she will travel with track team, we also picked up everything in travel sizes for a dob kit.

We still need to pick up detergent, but I am not sure her dorm washers allow use of pods, so I am kicking myself for not picking up the small bottles of ERA I saw on sale at Farm and Home a couple of weeks ago.

Her brother brought home the trunk for her to lock things in under her bed (she thinks she still has her middle school gym padlock that she can use - she has to look for it - I am just amazed she would remember the combination 4 years later. She had marching band in HS, so no PE for her). He also brought unused Command strips and a printer. She has printers available in her dorm and computer lab, so I don't think she will take that for now. She is only 1.5 hours from home, so I can always run it down to her if needed.

I have also read about a laptop lock. You can lock you laptop to your desk or even a table in the library in case you need to run to the restroom.
Something like this but on sale: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-defcon-coiled-cable-security-lock/8848378.p?skuId=8848378

What about area rugs?
My DS will be staying in approx 12x16 room with tile floor. I was thinking a rug about 10x12 would be good, but that would be pretty big and heavy to transport and some can be pricey. Plus it could end up needing a pad underneath.

We didn't do a rug for my DS due to his allergies, but also because if you have a rug, you need a vacuum cleaner. Tile floor just needs a broom.

One thing that comes to mind from the day we were moving dd into dorms 2 years ago.. FANS. Her dorms had no air conditioning , and their suite was like a sauna. It was so hot you felt sick from carrying things up and down the stairs. We were sweating just standing in her room. Parents were running to buy fans from the local Walmart etc and they were running out everywhere. Sure it was a heat wave, but depending on your climate, they will need them in the fall and again the month before they move out. DD had two and was able to lend one to one of her suite mates just so the poor girl could sleep.

Before you take a microwave make sure the dorm allows them in the rooms. A lot of dorms don't allow them.

One thing that comes to mind from the day we were moving dd into dorms 2 years ago.. FANS. Her dorms had no air conditioning , and their suite was like a sauna. It was so hot you felt sick from carrying things up and down the stairs. We were sweating just standing in her room. Parents were running to buy fans from the local Walmart etc and they were running out everywhere. Sure it was a heat wave, but depending on your climate, they will need them in the fall and again the month before they move out. DD had two and was able to lend one to one of her suite mates just so the poor girl could sleep.
Can't stress this enough!! Move in day was so hot, and my dd was on the top floor. We were dripping all day long. Thank goodness her roommate brought a box fan to put in the window, that thing saved us that day!

Thank you. Do you remember what size you ordered? Did you have it delivered after move in day or before?
After, I had him measure (forgot to do that on move in day), and he picked one out, plus I ending sending him stuff from amazon that we discovered he needed. The box fan we bought didn't fit in the window, he didn't need a desk lamp that we bought because the desk had one built in, they needed crates to go under the fridge... there will be stuff you don't need that you brought, and stuff you will still have to get.

Things my kids really needed was a fully stocked medicine kit! They get sick a lot in college, also first aid, tool kit, and sewing kit, garbage bags, basic cleaning supplies, yeti tumbler, umbrella...

Can't stress this enough!! Move in day was so hot, and my dd was on the top floor. We were dripping all day long. Thank goodness her roommate brought a box fan to put in the window, that thing saved us that day!
Yep, same! It was about 95 degrees, he was on the 9th floor of the 40 year old dorm, you could only use the elevator to go up, had to walk down, narrow windows fitting no fan. The best thing I brought were my small, skinny, in fantastic shape 13 and 15 year olds, who made his bed, hung stuff up, unpacked his clothes... the room furniture had to be completely re-arranged, they could literally hold hands with the first room set-up. It was a little more awkward since his roommate happened to be gay - lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter