2017 DISNEYLAND RESORT HALLOWEEN TIME / MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN PARTY THREAD!

We went on 10/13 and had a lot of fun. Re: treats, we did all 3 trails at the toontown pre-party which completely filled the little bags. Fortunately a CM at one of the stores near IASW gave us some large clear bags to use so for the rest of the night DD used the little bag but dumped her treats into ours when it got past 1/2 full and eventually we poured everything we could into my backpack since it was easier to carry on our backs.

Did not have as much luck at ride times before or during the party. After pre-party we wanted to ride IASW but it was down. During the pre-hours many rides were down when we got there - fortunately we still had a 3 day ticket w MP for the rest of our trip and MP made up for our lack of rides during the party. Around 5 we gave up on rides and stood in a long line to be let into the pre-party. Fortunately I bought the book DD7 and I have been reading together which passed the time nicely. We are not line waiting people (we walk up to parades 5 min before they start) but this was ok.

We were able to go on Pooh and Pirates during the party, watched the parade, walked over to stand about 20 ft from the Walt Statue for a perfect view of the fireworks w/ orb (DD7 stood on a bench next to us). Cadaver Dan's was one of the highlights for us but loved the overall ambiance w/ all the projections, happy people in costume and so forth during the party. Definitely felt crowded though. DD was exhausted after the fireworks so we left at that point as we wanted to go to the 7AM magic morning the next day which we did make :-).

btw our strategy to eat the healthy stuff in between candy worked well. We still ended up with a dozen or so carrot packets and apple slice packets which I put in the hotel room fridge and brought a few each day to the parks along with other treats (chips, crackers, candy). We still came home with enough candy for 2 halloween's worth of trick or treaters. Fortunately DD's b-day party is coming up and now I know what will be going in the pinata!

Last edited:
We went on 10/13 and had a lot of fun. Re: treats, we did all 3 trails at the toontown pre-party which completely filled the little bags. Fortunately a CM at one of the stores near IASW gave us some large clear bags to use so for the rest of the night DD used the little bag but dumped her treats into ours when it got past 1/2 full and eventually we poured everything we could into my backpack since it was easier to carry on our backs.

Did not have as much luck at ride times before or during the party. After pre-party we wanted to ride IASW but it was down. During the pre-hours many rides were down when we got there - fortunately we still had a 3 day ticket w MP for the rest of our trip and MP made up for our lack of rides during the party. Around 5 we gave up on lines and stood in a long line to be let into the pre-party. Fortunately I bought the book DD7 and I have been reading together which passed the time nicely. We are not line waiting people (we walk up to parades 5 min before they start) but this was ok.

We were able to go on Pooh and Pirates during the party, watched the parade, walked over to stand about 20 ft from the Walt Statue for a perfect view of the fireworks w/ orb (DD7 stood on a bench next to us). Cadaver Dan's was one of the highlights for us but loved the overall ambiance w/ all the projections, happy people in costume and so forth during the party. Definitely felt crowded though. DD was exhausted after the fireworks so we left at that point as we wanted to go to the 7AM magic morning the next day which we did make :-).

btw our strategy to eat the healthy stuff in between candy worked well. We still ended up with a dozen or so carrot packets and apple slice packets which I put in the hotel room fridge and brought a few each day to the parks along with other treats (chips, crackers, candy). We still came home with enough candy for 2 halloween's worth of trick or treaters. Fortunately DD's b-day party is coming up and now I know what will be going in the pinata!
HhhMmmmm......
You went on October 13th.....Last Friday.....

Well there ya go.

I'm seeing all the posts about the app being off a lot...I have the Disneyland app and the TouringPlans app as well...do you have any experiences with other apps besides Disney''s?

I have diligently read posts since we decided to hit the party (our first ever!) on the 21st, but still feel totally unprepared, lol! We have been to the parks a lot over the years, but between the Max Pass and the party, I feel like a newbie! Needing advice for those with experience in these areas...

1. How bad is traffic/parking on party days? Trying to decide best option for driving/parking for the party. We are staying nearby on the side of Mickey and Friends parking, but just far enough for my parent to not be able to walk it due to my mom's knee issues. If we can't get into Mickey and Friends, should we try for DTD? I don't really care about the price if it means less hassle and driving in traffic to park farther away. But is the parking garage just crazy on party nights? Getting in and out a total mess? Uber or lyft is an option for her and my dad, not as much for me because I have two young kids who need booster seats. Never used either service there before, would it be a really long wait to get a ride around the end of the party?

2. We will be there 4.5 days in addition to the party, so lots of time to do rides and such. Would people suggest we still get in early at like 3pm/4pm? It seems everyone talks about how crazy busy it is during that time. We might want to line up early for TT entry, but other than that, is there any reason to get there before like 5pm? My girls are 5 and almost 7, so I am trying to get them to last as long as possible into the night, especially with how hot is suppose to be and all of us in costume.

3. Current advice for how soon to stake out a parade spot? Don't want to wait for ever, but want the kids to have good view, and be in a decent spot for fireworks. They likely won't make it to the second parade for less crowds. Would this be a good time for one of us to take the kids to wait for character pictures in the area while the other two hold down a spot on the curb?

4. Overall best strategy for hitting treat trails with less lines? Do some tend to be shorter lines than others?

Thank for any advice offered!

1. How bad is traffic/parking on party days?...

2. ... is there any reason to get there before like 5pm? My girls are 5 and almost 7, so I am trying to get them to last as long as possible into the night, especially with how hot is suppose to be and all of us in costume.

3. Current advice for how soon to stake out a parade spot? Don't want to wait for ever, but want the kids to have good view, and be in a decent spot for fireworks... Would this be a good time for one of us to take the kids to wait for character pictures in the area while the other two hold down a spot on the curb?

4. Overall best strategy for hitting treat trails with less lines? Do some tend to be shorter lines than others?

Thank for any advice offered!

1. We've never had a bad time parking at M&F for the party. The structure may close for a few hours prior to the party's early entry hours just to let some day guests exit to make room for party guests. But once the early hours start, M&F is open. At our party last month, we drove right up to a booth just before the early hours started.

2. We really enjoy the early hours and seeing other guests arrive in costume. But you know your girls best. If you think they need the extra rest to make it through the party in top form, then let them have a little more rest. The party will be so much more fun for all of you if they aren't tired out to begin with.

3. There will be less of a wait for parade spots the farther away you go from the Hub. For example, if you are willing to view the parade and fireworks from IASW, there should be less wait time for spots. Lines for M&Gs can be long, so have a back up option for the kids -- maybe some trick or treat trails or a nearby ride?

4. Trick or Treat lines may look long, but in general they move pretty quickly. Lines are usually shorter after fireworks. We found the line at the FL Theater (by TT) to be really fast moving throughout the evening.

For the two parties that I went to, the treat trails along the Big Thunder Trail (connects Fantasyland with Frontierland) seemed less busy than some of the others. I would just avoid the one along the Rivers of America (that one always seems really busy).

Quick question about taxi availability after the party. Have tickets for 10/31 (yay!), party ends at 11pm, last shuttle to the hotel is midnight. If we are a bit slow leaving the park, maybe even miss the last shuttle, there should be taxi's available right? Don't know if they are all busy due to Halloween evening. just thinking of a backup plan if we miss the shuttle.

Quick question about taxi availability after the party. Have tickets for 10/31 (yay!), party ends at 11pm, last shuttle to the hotel is midnight. If we are a bit slow leaving the park, maybe even miss the last shuttle, there should be taxi's available right? Don't know if they are all busy due to Halloween evening. just thinking of a backup plan if we miss the shuttle.
You will have no problem getting a taxi, uber or a lyft.

Oh my goodness, this heat wave has me worried!

Can anybody report on how the weather 'feels' during the party hours? Once the sun goes down, does it start to feel more comfortable?

I will be attending MHP on Friday 10/27. Although I know it is still too far out to predict with much accuracy, the temp keeps climbing!

Can anybody report on how the weather 'feels' during the party hours? Once the sun goes down, does it start to feel more comfortable?

I will be attending MHP on Friday 10/27. Although I know it is still too far out to predict with much accuracy, the temp keeps climbing!
So the best bet is just check the weather the day of. I went 10/13, it didn’t hit 80, and at night it was in the 60’s and by midnight high 50’s I think. I had a light jacket on. The week before I think there was a heat wave, and it looks like another is coming. Make sure to stay hydrated!!!! I’m not sure if you’ve been in Anaheim heat before but it’s a little rough. Try staying in the shade and air when you get the chance as well.

I've been worried about this too. We're in town from 10/21 - 10/30 and I'm looking at the forecast of almost a 100 degree high for both Monday and Tuesday. Wasn't expecting it when I planned the trip and not looking forward to it. :(
At least it looks like the party on 10/27 is going to be cooler than the one on 10/24.

So the best bet is just check the weather the day of... Make sure to stay hydrated!!!! I’m not sure if you’ve been in Anaheim heat before but it’s a little rough. Try staying in the shade and air when you get the chance as well.

Such great advice! Thank you! :thumbsup2

Cooling towels! Saved us on our Sept 2015 trip when it hit 108. Go to a sporting goods store and buy one or two per person. I wore one around the neck, the other under my hat (helped with sun and was hot enough to not care about fashion). Also, bring your own cooling fan, the spritzers they sell in the park do not work well.

Hooboy, I checked the weather forecast for 10/24 and it’s in the triple digits! I may have to rethink my costume for the party...

For those going to MHP when the weather will be warm/very warm/downright hot, look over the park map beforehand to have a general idea of where you can find a/c quickly when you need it. Look for shops, restaurants, First Aid, indoor treat trails, etc. Knowing where you can go for a cool break when you need one can help you stay calm and have more fun throughout the evening. Take advantage of the free cups of ice water at CS locations and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! It's amazing how easy it can be to get overheated on a warm evening while wearing a costume.

Has anyone had luck getting tickets day of? We have tickets but my DIL's family decided to join us so we will be looking for 5 more tickets.

Has anyone had luck getting tickets day of? We have tickets but my DIL's family decided to join us so we will be looking for 5 more tickets.
Have you tried calling the phone line and seeing if they have any tickets? They sometimes have them after the online sales have ended. Otherwise, some folks have reported that guests staying at one of the three Disney hotels can sometimes get tickets at Guest Services. You can also check at the ticket booths to see if they have any tickets on the day of the events; the signs in the Esplanade will usually say whether the part is "sold out" or "tickets may be available". One the parties I went to had the "may be available" sign out, so it does happen, but you cannot depend/count on it.

Have you tried calling the phone line and seeing if they have any tickets? They sometimes have them after the online sales have ended. Otherwise, some folks have reported that guests staying at one of the three Disney hotels can sometimes get tickets at Guest Services. You can also check at the ticket booths to see if they have any tickets on the day of the events; the signs in the Esplanade will usually say whether the part is "sold out" or "tickets may be available". One the parties I went to had the "may be available" sign out, so it does happen, but you cannot depend/count on it.
I called a few weeks ago and was told to check at the front desk the day of the party (we are staying in the Villas at the Grand Californian) I will try calling again today. Thanks for the idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter