2018 Castaway Cay 5k Challenge

(If that's the date of the challenge...just covering my rear here since I don't know lol)

There have been in the past.

The paid one starts super early. The free one is around the same time that it normally is.

If you're signed up for the paid one and want to do the free run too, sign up early. I was on the inaugural and we didn't realize it would be possible to do both, and I delayed too long signing up onboard and it was full.

Really frustrated with runDisney. I registered myself for WDW Half and CC5K challenge back in March. Got email this past Monday from DCL that non WDW marathon participants (my kids) can register for the CC5k challenge. Immediately tried to register but couldn't find link anywhere. Called rD, CS rep had no idea, after rounds of being on hold with her asking her supervisor, finally told me to email rD. Emailed Monday evening, got response on Friday that you just go and register with Guest Services once on board. But I think that is just the regular 5K. Called rD again and was told that the Challenge is sold out. Very frustrating!

The wording of that email would be interesting to see.

For the future, you would to to the rundisney page for the January weekend and click from that registration page to do the cc challenge. Where it shows as being sold out.

And yes I imagine dcl was talking about the free island run.

Here's the email from DCL, now I realized i was just overexcited
and didn't read between the lines....sorry!

10/02/2017

Reservation #:

Dear ,

We are truly excited that you will be joining us aboard the January 8, 2018, Disney Dreamsailing. As a Guest already scheduled on this cruise, we want you to know about the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge, a runDisney event taking place as part of Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend events.

For the fourth year, the popular Castaway Cay 5K island run will become a challenge event for participants registered in any eligible race during the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Participants on your sailing who complete the Castaway Cay 5K Challenge and a Marathon Weekend race event will earn the Castaway Cay 5K finisher medallion and the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge medal, in addition to their Marathon Weekend medals. Participants must register through the runDisney.com website and complete both events within the pacing requirements. Registered participants in this challenge event will pick up their race packets at the runDisney Health and Fitness Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex during the marathon weekend.

Guests on your sailing, who would like to run in the Castaway Cay 5K but have not registered for any Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events, may still participate in the Castaway Cay 5K to receive the finisher medallion only.

While the 5K course spans our island paradise and promises lots of sun and sand, on this particular day the race will also feature some magical Disney surprises along the way. Please visit http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/ to learn more about this exciting challenge event.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to seeing you in January.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Thank you so much for posting that!

I can 100% see where your excitement took you. They aren't doing a good job at all differentiating. I mean, it almost makes it sound like they'll only be having the one.

This issue with this email is that is was sent after the race registrations was already closed. So those running the WDW Marathon weekend events were trying to register, only to find that it was closed. Horrible communication and customer service from the DCL/RunDisney partnership on this one. They can do better, we know that.

This issue with this email is that is was sent after the race registrations was already closed. So those running the WDW Marathon weekend events were trying to register, only to find that it was closed. Horrible communication and customer service from the DCL/RunDisney partnership on this one. They can do better, we know that.

But I think that's the differentiation issue. They are saying to do the free island run, but they are doing a horrible job explaining that.

I don't think they were saying they could do the paid run.

And then they got stupid by telling people to go to the website to learn about it, when those receiving the email were already signed up for it.

That's not what the email says. It specifically talks about the challenge for the marathon weekend participants.
The link for the challenge wasn't available when we registered for our marathon the first day. We kept checking back, to no avail. No communication. We booked our cruise last December specifically for this weekend. We got the email on Oct 2nd and thought, great, now we can register. What a joke! I have an email into RunDisney, and I've talked to disney cruise and RunDisney (who said they only answer general questions) and neither is willing to see the issue. It makes no sense to offer a once-a-year challenge and cap it when they specifically ask you to do it. I have sailed three times on Disney previously and run the 5k fun runs, and the challenge and races can be done in waves, there's no need to disappoint people spending 3500 on a cruise to join the challenge.

I’m confused. Where were you checking and not finding availability? I registered for Dopey the first day and then registered through the runDisney website for CCC in March.
I truly hope that runDisney can help you with the miscommunication and maybe get you registered. :)

I’m confused. Where were you checking and not finding availability? I registered for Dopey the first day and then registered through the runDisney website for CCC in March.
I truly hope that runDisney can help you with the miscommunication and maybe get you registered. :)

When we registered the first day of open registration(feb 14th) there wasn't a link to register for the CC challenge, or we would have done it all together. We did check back, but apparently not at the right time. Our mistake, I guess, we kept looking at the challenge page on RunDisney and saw the info description to register at active, no link directly from the CCC paragraph, but perhaps the original top link was where we should check. Didn't occur to me, after already registering, to go all the way back to the original page, not the link from the CCC description. We didn't get any updates from Disney cruiseline either so we just thought it wasn't open yet. Perhaps we were just too complacent, but it seems sad to promote the cruise as an event and then cap it like they did. We talked to active and they couldn't even tell us what the cap was on the race and when it sold out, she just kept saying they don't have that information, as if no one programmed the event and maintained the database. It's very disappointing to schedule so early and then miss it. Lesson learned I guess.

I'm bummed because I kept putting off my CCC registration because I heard last year it was available even at the expo and now it's sold out :(

I'm bummed because I kept putting off my CCC registration because I heard last year it was available even at the expo and now it's sold out :(

I did get an email from RunDisney saying they are going to look into it further and see what they can do. We will see, I will update if I hear anything.

It's such a bummer!

I am very new to run Disney. We are going on a Disney Cruise in November and I was wanting to do the Castaway Cay 5K. Do they have a race on every cruise? Also, do you have to run at Disney to be able to run at Castaway Cay?
Thank You So Much!

I am very new to run Disney. We are going on a Disney Cruise in November and I was wanting to do the Castaway Cay 5K. Do they have a race on every cruise? Also, do you have to run at Disney to be able to run at Castaway Cay?
Thank You So Much!
There are two CC5K races...

- First type is held every time they dock at CC. It's free and you don't have to run at WDW beforehand. There is an age limit. This one would be offered during your November cruise, make sure to keep an eye on your Navigator for sign-up info.
- Second type is the CC5K that is held as part of the challenge - this only happens during the cruise just after WDW Marathon Weekend in January. To get the bonus medal, you do need to have run a race at WDW beforehand. This one IS NOT offered during your November cruise.

There are two CC5K races...

- First type is held every time they dock at CC. It's free and you don't have to run at WDW beforehand. There is an age limit. This one would be offered during your November cruise, make sure to keep an eye on your Navigator for sign-up info.
- Second type is the CC5K that is held as part of the challenge - this only happens during the cruise just after WDW Marathon Weekend in January. To get the bonus medal, you do need to have run a race at WDW beforehand. This one IS NOT offered during your November cruise.
Thank you so much for your help! So I sign up for the free one when I get on the boat correct? Will my husband and daughter be able to get off the boat to meet me at the finish line? I’ve read in some places that the runners get off early.

Thank you so much for your help! So I sign up for the free one when I get on the boat correct? Will my husband and daughter be able to get off the boat to meet me at the finish line? I’ve read in some places that the runners get off early.
Yes, the Navigator should tell you where to sign up (pretty sure it's at Guest Services).

The runners debark first to walk to the starting area and then non-runners can debark right after. :)

I’ve done the free run at least three times and we have never once been first off the ship. We have been in line right along with all the beach goers.

And family can get off with the runners anyway, as far as I know. And definitely as I have experienced.

Only time runners have been first off when I’m sailing is when I did the extra-fee run on the specific sailing after January marathon weekend. And that meant getting off the ship in the dark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter