2018 Disney Dining Plan Prices & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed they are. Children don't pay for
Disney; their parents do. You have to make sure you can get the parents the park before you can make lifelong fans of the kids.

Stacy

We are an all adult family now. We have lots of all adult friend groups who go regularly. We have said for years Disney is aiming for young adults, empty nest adults, retired adults .... to get them hooked. The Highway in the Sky, increase in themed bars and def improvement in specialty drinks at lounges, the resort upgrades at POP and soon to come CSR tower and more, Club Villain with no kid prices ..... And any given trip we notice all adult groups. This is a huge perk. We have not had the plan in about 4 years but adding a beer/drink at each meal (aka $7-10 value) with a minimal increase in cost could totally turn us to not only book on property but buy the plan.

But in general, you've typically always been able to get these as a beverage entitlement. Think of the milkshakes at Sci Fi, bottomless milkshakes at Whispering Canyon Cafe, smoothies at Sanaa, and non-alcoholic pina coladas at places like the Turf Club. That said, I don't think smoothies/milkshakes/slushies counted as beverages at QS places (so that's an improvement).

Huge improvement at QS as these can substitute for desserts for many. And with the TS, guarantee most folks did not know that is an option at those places unless told by server. So now guests will know and these items should be offered at all TS.

I'm quite happy about the change & I just posted the same sentiment on DFB and I agree. People will want their drink in MK. I think this is a graceful way for WDW to introduce beer & wine in to MK QS restaurants. :banana:

There was talk coming out of within when it was added at other TS locations that they wanted it at QS. There was some push back and it got quiet. I've been waiting for them to figure out a way to bring it in so when the rumors about this started, first thing I thought was Disney will be able to get beer and wine in MK QS by making it part of the dining plans ........ and now it's not their idea, it's because guests will demand it. It's like reverse psychology. I mean we don't know but I will for sure, just thinking out loud - but would not be shocked if come January if not sooner (holidays) we see the addition.

Well that change definitely makes the dining plan worth it for someone like me who is travelling as a couple and enjoys a nice cocktail with their dinner. Especially considering mixed drinks are like $11 each. If I didn't have my tickets already I'd probably get a package.

Will this also be Disney's way of introducing a distinction of QS credits for adults/children?

Very good point. ::yes:: With Disney in the closing loopholes mode, I could totally see this happening.

They are giving more value than they went up in price, so closing this would save them way more.

Very good point. ::yes:: With Disney in the closing loopholes mode, I could totally see this happening.

They are giving more value than they went up in price, so closing this would save them way more.

Would also open the door for closing the "child TS credits are the same as adult TS credits on the DxDP" loophole, as well.

Last edited:
So if I'm reading the beverage language correctly, would you still receive some sort of add-on charge if say you order a cocktail with your meal and then also ask for an iced tea? If so I wonder if we will see some sort of increase in non-alcoholic beverage prices (soda, tea, coffee, etc.).

if I'm reading the beverage language correctly, would you still receive some sort of add-on charge if say you order a cocktail with your meal and then also ask for an iced tea?

Of course. They're not going to give you two beverages as part of your plan.

If so I wonder if we will see some sort of increase in non-alcoholic beverage prices (soda, tea, coffee, etc.).

Doubtful.

So if I'm reading the beverage language correctly, would you still receive some sort of add-on charge if say you order a cocktail with your meal and then also ask for an iced tea? If so I wonder if we will see some sort of increase in non-alcoholic beverage prices (soda, tea, coffee, etc.).

I would say yes because your entitlement gives you ONE, and if you order two then you pay for one of them. Just like before I would order ice tea but would start with a cocktail that I would have to pay for.

I don't think we'd see a huge increase in those if for no other reasons (1) most guests are probably not on dining plan so if the price becomes unrealistic they won't order (2) Disney makes HUGE profits off those drinks, so they have to be careful to the tipping point, they don't want to lose those sales.

How about the fancier items like flights compared to a beer or regular glass of wine? Will they be included or do you pay a premium on top of the credit?

I am sure Disney is happy to charge $4 and $6 more for something not everyone will use. Or that people had been receiving for "free" (milkshakes) to maximize a dining credit.

I was wondering that too. I saw on the Disney Food Blog story about this they included a picture of the margarita flight from the Hollywood Brown Derby so, maybe?

Obviously a big price different between some beers and some fancy mixed cocktails (especially if you do something where you pick a specific brand of alcohol) - so I assume there must be some limits

I hope this doesn't result in them reducing the options of wines by the glass to eliminate the more expensive ones

That's was a great breakdown of the price increase - thanks so much! I took a look at what we're getting for the price increase.

Quick Dining Plan: 2 extra QS alcoholic drinks
$52.50 per person per night ages 10+ (+$4.31 versus 2017)
$21.75 per person per night ages 3-9 (+$0.76 versus 2017)

Regular Dining Plan: 1 QS alcoholic drink + 1 TS alcoholic drink
$75.49 per person per night ages 10+ (+$6.13 versus 2017)
$25.75 per person per night ages 3-9 (+$0.81 versus 2017)

Deluxe Dining plan: 3 TS/QS alcoholic drinks
$116.25 per person per night ages 10+ (+$9.57 versus 2017)
$39.99 per person per night age 3-9 (+$1.24 versus 2017)

Also, keep in mind that the non-alcoholic specialty drinks were always included. So say you previously had a non-alcoholic drink worth $4. Now, you have an alcoholic drink worth $10 instead. So only a $6 increase instead of the whole $10 increase in value. Also, prices for kids have gone up with nothing new added. And all those Disney adults between 9 and 20 paying the increase for alcoholic drinks they can't have.

Ok question what if you dont drink ? Can I use those alcholic drinks for maybe get something else? Neither me or my husband drink

I was wondering that too. I saw on the Disney Food Blog story about this they included a picture of the margarita flight from the Hollywood Brown Derby so, maybe?

Obviously a big price different between some beers and some fancy mixed cocktails (especially if you do something where you pick a specific brand of alcohol) - so I assume there must be some limits

I hope this doesn't result in them reducing the options of wines by the glass to eliminate the more expensive ones

In my mind what I thought is it would be like the cruise beverage packages ... that the drink was going to be within this range but you weren't going to get a high shelf wine or liquor, maybe no flights.

Ok question what if you dont drink ? Can I use those alcholic drinks for maybe get something else? Neither me or my husband drink

It's not that they took anything away that you have now, they have added more options.

Direct from Disney website:

Beverages (2018 plan only):
Guests under 21 years of age can choose one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty beverages where offered). Guests 21 and older can choose either one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty beverages where offered) or one single-serving mixed cocktail, beer, or wine (where offered) within their meal entitlement.

A single-serving non-alcoholic beverage includes items such as:

• Artisanal Milkshakes
  • Fresh Smoothies
  • Premium Hot Chocolate
  • Soda, Coffee or Tea
A single-serving alcoholic beverage includes items such as:

• Beer or Cider
  • Wine or Sangria
  • Mixed Drinks and Specialty Cocktails
Most beer, wine and mixed drink beverages included, some exceptions apply. Guests 21 and older must present valid ID to be served alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic beverages may only be redeemed with a Quick-Service or Table-Service meal entitlement.

Do you like milkshakes, hot chocolate, smoothies, or virgin drinks? That what it seems like the options will be.

I feel like expanding it like this removes the question about beverage substitutions and just charges everyone more for access to all the beverages rather than getting a soft drink and paying OOP for the specialty drink.

HRm we might not be doing the dining plan next year we always do it because we get snack credits during the day but now with this not sure it will be worth it
Since we sometimes use our snack credits for bottle sodas or water like last year we had 2 snack credits per person on our last day. So we got a regular snack and a bottle drink when we left the last day. Just seems too much that we might not used
So basically you get a drink at each meal and now those who dont drink will get an extra drink? I guess it is too confusing for me i guess

So basically you get a drink at each meal and now those who dont drink will get an extra drink? I guess it is too confusing for me i guess

No, you still only get one beverage entitlement per CS/TS meal. It's just that you may now use your beverage entitlement for an expanded list of options, including specialty drinks (with or without alcohol), beer, and wine.

For my wife, this is a good option, because she typically prefers water over a soft drink, tea, or lemonade. But she'd be more than happy to add an "adult beverage", at least some of the time.

HRm we might not be doing the dining plan next year we always do it because we get snack credits during the day but now with this not sure it will be worth it
Since we sometimes use our snack credits for bottle sodas or water like last year we had 2 snack credits per person on our last day.
So we got a regular snack and a bottle drink when we left the last day. Just seems too much that we might not used

You still get the 2 snacks each day.

No one gets 2 drinks, pick one from the list.

Nobody's asking the important question: does this include the Lapu Lapu?

And now Kona will be the hard to get reservation! :cool1:

Nobody's asking the important question: does this include the Lapu Lapu?
:rotfl2: I do enjoy that Lapu Lapu

I imagine Disney will limit it like the Luau or the Hoop Dee Doo. Beer, wine, sangria included. Everything else, pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!