2018 points

Johndubbya

Mouseketeer
My wife & I are going to WDW in September we are renting points at the Poly. We have a tour scheduled for 9/15 and we have plans on buying that day. (My wife is doing everything in her power not to have me buy right now lol) Without going into huge detail we have our 20th anniversary trip planned next year that we want to use 2018 points for and a really big trip planned for 2020 where we bring our niece and nephews that would require a two bedroom villa. Does anybody have any experience with buying that late in the year and getting 2018 points.

Maybe get an Oct or Dec UY as that will come with 2017 points. Dec has most points across all resorts so if you ever want to add on resale then you would have more contracts to choose from.

If an October or December UY works for you, you’d not only get 2018 points, you’d get 2017 points for 1/4th the annual dues.

Does anybody have any experience with buying that late in the year and getting 2018 points.
What UY you buy will make a difference in whether or not you get 2017 points. So like PP mentioned if you are there in September and buy and Oct UY then you would get 2018 and current 2017 points. You will be after the banking deadline so they should, as part of the deal bank those points into 2018 but those banked points would only be usable until Sept 30 2018. But then you could use those points for a trip next year and bank your 2018 into 2019 (which again would only be usable until 9/30/19, then 2019 points banked into 2020. So ultimately in 2020 -- you could have your banked 2019 points, current 2020 points and then borrow 2021. Just make sure you are buying a contract that will afford the 2BR you want.

If you are buying CCV then no problem with availability, but if buying an older resort you might be put on a waitlist - so if from that point it takes a few months to come through then you might loose out on those 2017 points if older resort request doesn't come through until January.

Sorry for the rambling -- just going through the though process so that you would have the points available in 2020. You can look at 2018 points charts to get a rough idea of the points you would need. Holidays would change the "season" and points cost

What resort would you be after?

Typically, you won't get cur
We are on the wait list for animal kingdom Lodge if it comes through by 9/15 great if not we will buy ccv

They almost never sell a sold-out resort with prior year points.

if you are looking at Copper Creek, the 2017 points are allegedly all "out" and they are giving February use year now, you just get the Feb 2018 points

if you are looking at Copper Creek, the 2017 points are allegedly all "out" and they are giving February use year now, you just get the Feb 2018 points

There is no way I'd by a brand new resort direct and take "whatever UY they're offering" (unless it happens to be the one I want)!

What resort would you be after?

Typically, you won't get cur

They almost never sell a sold-out resort with prior year points.

When I was looking to purchase July - Sep last year, there were some resorts that had 2016 points (for my desired Oct UY) and some that did not. I think in the last 2-3 months of a UY, supply starts to dwindle. When I first started inquiring (July) I had my choice of 5-6 resorts (nearly everything I would be considering), but I didn't make up my mind until late August and went on waitlist for BWV. It didn't come thru until Oct 1 (no 2016 points). I had talked to them on Sept 30 and I think all I could have gotten was CCV and one other - it actually may have been AKV - with 2016 points.

Have you thought about purchasing resale? There are some AKV contracts available with double points, so you could easily bank to have what you need in 2020.

I’m trying to find a 75 point contract resale... I’m constantly looking/researching
No, I mean, buy most of your points resale and buy a 75 point direct to get the perks.

Small contracts are rarely worth the cost difference with direct (as an add-on).

If you bought a resale contract today, you'd likely close before you need to plan the 20th anniversary business. Plus buying resale will open up all the UYs to you to get the one that works best. You can then waitlist and you and your wife would (eventually) get all the benefits of someone who bought all their points direct (save being able to use those resale points to book cruises, concierge collection, or ABD).

I’m trying to find a 75 point contract resale... I’m constantly looking/researching

You won't find a 75-point AKV contract resale, in all likelihood. Minimum buy when AKV was new was higher, so those small contracts are much more recent in nature. While they certainly exist, most were sold pretty recently, and not when points were declared originally - so they're ROFR sales, not original contracts, and much more scarce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter