2018 Princess Half Marathon

I just got my GymBoss too!

I'm hoping to get a run in with it early tomorrow morning. Our weather here in South Louisiana is rotten at the moment, and probably just getting worse with Tropical Storm Cindy heating up. Have you used yours yet?

I'm hoping to get a run in with it early tomorrow morning. Our weather here in South Louisiana is rotten at the moment, and probably just getting worse with Tropical Storm Cindy heating up. Have you used yours yet?

Sadly, I haven't even taken in out of the package yet. My plan is to get my first use in this weekend if it doesn't rain. Good luck and stay safe down there!

Question, this is my first time running a RunDisney event (first time posting on Disboards too!) and was super excited until I started reading some reviews and comments that the race is so packed that people can barely run thru the crowds of people walking. Is that true? Or is that exaggerated? I even saw some pictures that looked like people were at a complete stop on the route. I would hate to spend all this money and not actually be able to run the race. Would love to hear from others that have run it before and what they experienced. Thank you!!!!

Question, this is my first time running a RunDisney event (first time posting on Disboards too!) and was super excited until I started reading some reviews and comments that the race is so packed that people can barely run thru the crowds of people walking. Is that true? Or is that exaggerated?

It is... and it isn't. It all depends on where you start, which is determined by what estimated finish time you entered during registration - that time determines which corral you'll be placed in, and the corrals are released with the fastest people going first, slowest folks last. I generally fall into the mid-back corrals and have never come to a complete stop due to crowding, but for sure there are narrow sections where all are forced to slow down for a bit. But it opens back up and there's room to maneuver again. This isn't unique to PHM, though - this is the case for all WDW races. When you put 20,000+ people in one place and they all move at different speeds, and you have people stopping for pics and rejoining the race, it's going to create some congestion. Best way to manage it, IMO, is to go with the flow and not get stressed about it!

I generally fall into the mid-back corrals and have never come to a complete stop due to crowding, but for sure there are narrow sections where all are forced to slow down for a bit.

I start mid-back and then slow (in the last two years), and it gets ugly while going through the castle and then in "cone alley" where you're all crammed into ONE lane (or on the tilted grass for those with strong ankles).

But like V said, 20K people in one spot all doing random things, and that's going to happen.

Question, this is my first time running a RunDisney event (first time posting on Disboards too!) and was super excited until I started reading some reviews and comments that the race is so packed that people can barely run thru the crowds of people walking. Is that true? Or is that exaggerated? I even saw some pictures that looked like people were at a complete stop on the route. I would hate to spend all this money and not actually be able to run the race. Would love to hear from others that have run it before and what they experienced. Thank you!!!!

If you are a fast runner (I'd say 2:10 or below) and have a proof of time that backs that up, you will most likely be far enough up in the corrals that the crowding won't affect you much. If you stop for every picture opportunity, it might allow enough people to catch up and make the crowding worse.

Alternatively, if you are not that fast, but do prefer to run the entire race without walking you probably will get frustrated at times. If you will be doing walking intervals anyway, sometimes the crowding just means some extra walk breaks and you can either just enjoy the relief or try to make up for it later. RunDisney races are typically not races to aim for a PR, but it can happen.

In general though, there are not that many pinch points. A great deal of the race is out on the roads and you will have plenty of space to spread out. You spend so little time in the parks, that you may not want to just fly through them anyway :)

If you are a fast runner (I'd say 2:10 or below) and have a proof of time that backs that up, you will most likely be far enough up in the corrals that the crowding won't affect you much. If you stop for every picture opportunity, it might allow enough people to catch up and make the crowding worse.

Alternatively, if you are not that fast, but do prefer to run the entire race without walking you probably will get frustrated at times. If you will be doing walking intervals anyway, sometimes the crowding just means some extra walk breaks and you can either just enjoy the relief or try to make up for it later. RunDisney races are typically not races to aim for a PR, but it can happen.

In general though, there are not that many pinch points. A great deal of the race is out on the roads and you will have plenty of space to spread out. You spend so little time in the parks, that you may not want to just fly through them anyway :)
Thanks so much! I just didn't really know what to expect and have only heard the worse! Figured asking here would be the best way to have a better understanding. So much information on these threads! I do have a fairly decent pace (2.07) so really hope to run most, if not all of the entire race at least with the half. Plan on doing pictures the 5k or 10.

Got my Southwest flights booked as well! Also booked our rooms. Hoping a discount comes out in the next few months. Prices have really gone up in the last few years! This weekend I'm attempting 4 miles.

I'm waiting to book our resort stay until the 2018 Armed Forces Salute discount is released. We have a large party (6 adults on our reservation, 16 of us celebrating together in total), so we need as steep of a discount as we can get lol. Not only are we participating in the PHM weekend festivities, but it's also my niece's 13th birthday the day of the half marathon, and my mom's 60th birthday the day after the half marathon, too.

Got my Southwest flights booked as well! Also booked our rooms. Hoping a discount comes out in the next few months. Prices have really gone up in the last few years! This weekend I'm attempting 4 miles.

Same! I originally booked my room at Beach Club through runDisney but am planning to cancel and rebook directly with Disney. I can't access my reservation through runDisney to modify at all and I do not want to miss out on any possible promos. We're even considering upgrading my ticket to an Annual Pass if the AP discount is good enough/worth it, even if we have to move to YC or BWI.

Same! I originally booked my room at Beach Club through runDisney but am planning to cancel and rebook directly with Disney. I can't access my reservation through runDisney to modify at all and I do not want to miss out on any possible promos. We're even considering upgrading my ticket to an Annual Pass if the AP discount is good enough/worth it, even if we have to move to YC or BWI.

When I booked BC with RunDisney they were quite clear that I would need to call to cancel the reservation. 2018 prices are out and it is less expensive on the disney website than the price I got via phone, so you should definitely check on that! At this point there is no AP discount on the rooms for 2018 so perhaps cancel the current reservation, book a the lower price, and then watch to see if there is an AP discount in the fall?

As for BC itself, I am doubting the 'need' to stay there as I will still have to bus to/from a start line, my husband and 4yos are not likely to roll out of bed to watch a parade of runners. It is a nice place and a lovely stay, but so are other resorts. Any thoughts on this?

Woohoo! Just got back from WDW yesterday and booked for Princess today on Southwest. Got an early morning direct flight Friday and a late night direct flight home Tuesday. So 5 full days! :mickeyjum

Thanks so much! I just didn't really know what to expect and have only heard the worse! Figured asking here would be the best way to have a better understanding. So much information on these threads! I do have a fairly decent pace (2.07) so really hope to run most, if not all of the entire race at least with the half. Plan on doing pictures the 5k or 10.
I had the same anxiety before my first race. I had a slower proof of time than yours- I think based on my October race I was estimated to finish in 2:24. But even with that time I found that I was never crowded after the start. I didn't stop for pictures, which helped. I got to run through the castle freely - which was a goal- and on the back stretch going past the speedway there wasn't anyone within 30 feet of me in any direction. So if I can do it someone with a 2:07 pot should be fine. But I will say that was in the old corral system- with more corrals with smaller groups of runners . the mini corrals, with bigger groups of people with a range of pot divided not by pace but by when they showed up to the start line, might make this less likely. I'd try to get in early enough that you are at least in the first mini corral- if this is still a thing next year.

As for BC itself, I am doubting the 'need' to stay there as I will still have to bus to/from a start line, my husband and 4yos are not likely to roll out of bed to watch a parade of runners. It is a nice place and a lovely stay, but so are other resorts. Any thoughts on this?

If you have multiday hopper admission, you can get back to BC through Epcot. At least after the half, that is.

Your thought process is a good one. Having to bus in takes away convenience of staying so close, and if you don't want your family to wake up to watch, then that's another factor against being there. If you can find something else you like that costs less, that's more money to spend at the expo. ;)

When I booked BC with RunDisney they were quite clear that I would need to call to cancel the reservation. 2018 prices are out and it is less expensive on the disney website than the price I got via phone, so you should definitely check on that! At this point there is no AP discount on the rooms for 2018 so perhaps cancel the current reservation, book a the lower price, and then watch to see if there is an AP discount in the fall?

The price I have through runDisney is actually several hundred dollars cheaper than what I've been getting through the site since Tuesday, but I'm definitely hoping for a discount so fully intend to rebook directly and watch for the AP discount. Worse case scenario, I switch to a cheaper resort closer to the 30-day mark if discounts are available and we rent a car. Husband is more than willing to pick me up at the finish line so I don't have to bus back to the resort if we're not in an EPCOT resort. Definitely not a "need" to stay there, but it's just me and the hubs this trip so I reeeeeeeeally want to! :)

Funny side note: I called runDisney yesterday and spoke with an agent but didn't make any changes, though decided I would by the time I hung up. When I asked about applying any potential future discounts if/when they become available, she told me "Oh, all discounts for February came out on the 20th." I know this isn't usually true, but she sounded so sure, I prodded for more even clarifying she meant promotions and not packages. I asked about any potential AP discounts and told her I knew that Disney has historically announced promos in the fall for Jan-Mar based on the need to fill rooms. She reiterated that "all February discounts are already out" and asked if I had "checked the site yet?" Finally, I asked about Play, Stay & Dine since I know for a fact we modified reservations for our Mardi Gras trip this year when they released it on 9/30...surely Disney is likely to release some promo closer to our travel date??? Finally, she says "oh, yeah, well other promos will likely become available....". :rotfl2:

The price I have through runDisney is actually several hundred dollars cheaper than what I've been getting through the site since Tuesday, but I'm definitely hoping for a discount so fully intend to rebook directly and watch for the AP discount. Worse case scenario, I switch to a cheaper resort closer to the 30-day mark if discounts are available and we rent a car. Husband is more than willing to pick me up at the finish line so I don't have to bus back to the resort if we're not in an EPCOT resort. Definitely not a "need" to stay there, but it's just me and the hubs this trip so I reeeeeeeeally want to! :)

Funny side note: I called runDisney yesterday and spoke with an agent but didn't make any changes, though decided I would by the time I hung up. When I asked about applying any potential future discounts if/when they become available, she told me "Oh, all discounts for February came out on the 20th." I know this isn't usually true, but she sounded so sure, I prodded for more even clarifying she meant promotions and not packages. I asked about any potential AP discounts and told her I knew that Disney has historically announced promos in the fall for Jan-Mar based on the need to fill rooms. She reiterated that "all February discounts are already out" and asked if I had "checked the site yet?" Finally, I asked about Play, Stay & Dine since I know for a fact we modified reservations for our Mardi Gras trip this year when they released it on 9/30...surely Disney is likely to release some promo closer to our travel date??? Finally, she says "oh, yeah, well other promos will likely become available....". :rotfl2:

Gotta love the call center people...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!