2018 Princess Half Marathon

I have no strategy for running, no training plan, no plans to get a costume (although based on above I should bring my winter gear!), but I am concerned about ADRs which seems silly, I know. As ADRs are opening soon, can anyone comment on the time commitment for the Expo on Friday? I realize I will need to go there to pick up a bib, but I have never run a single race (disney or otherwise), so I am lost as to what to expect- I can get there via bus but how long do I plan on that taking? If I focus and don't look around how long will I need to be there? Is there a time I should go for minimum crowds? I have to ditch my husband with 2 preschoolers or take them all with me. I assume they would be bored with the Expo so I should go for the former, right? Can I do some sort of nice park lunch with the family (recommendations for things for a stomach nervous I might not make it through mile 4?) head to the expo for a bib, and make it back for a small, low key family dinner? Also, by my math & the required pacing I should be able to finish the 10K and make it back to an Epcot resort for an 11am brunch- is all of this beyond achievable? I know, advice is to leave the kids at home but that is not happening, so I need a strategy to make the weekend fun for all.

If it helps, I went to the expo last year on Thursday. We left MK at about 11:30, took a monorail to Poly to catch an expo bus from there, went to the expo and made it back to our resort (POFQ) around 2:00. We did walk around the expo some, but didn't spent a whole lot of time doing it. So 2.5 hours in all, but that's with extra travel time (monorail) and looking around the expo a little.

I agree with others to eat lighter foods the day before the race! I don't have a sensitive stomach but just try to avoid rich (butter, cream) foods.

I think an 11am brunch is very doable. I made it for a 9:50 breakfast at an Epcot resort last year without having to rush at all.

I'm getting excited! My ADR day is Monday!

Pre-race fueling took a lot of trial an error on my part. Since I'm lactose intolerant, I try to avoid rich, creamy foods with butter and cheese (which sucks because those are my favorite!), and I try to cut out alcohol at least 48 hours prior to the half marathon. My stomach is usually fine with me eating whatever I want before a 5K or 10K, but it wasn't always like that.

On the morning of the half, I'll have coffee (a MUST-have for me), a piece of fruit (either an orange, banana, or handful of strawberries) and then once slice of peanut butter toast. I need at least an hour to let that settle before I start running, sometimes longer, so it's good that Disney races have us get there so early. While I'm waiting in the corral, if I need to I'll pop a few Sport Beans with a couple sips of water, just to get some sugar in to get me off on the right foot. I generally don't need any fuel for the rest of the race other than the PowerAde they provide on the course. The only time I've ever taken in more than that (Sport Beans, Clif shots) is because I'm got bored around mile 8 or 9, lol.

For the newbies: there will be a fuel stop where they hand out different flavors of Clif shots (like GUs), but the next water stop isn't for roughly another mile. I don't know about you guys, but I can't take in fuel without at least a sip or two of water. By that time, I've already sweated so much water out that I can't produce enough saliva to swallow the fuel, so I just hang onto it until I can get to a water stop. This won't be a problem for those who run with a water belt, of course.

Does anyone know what flavor of Powerade they have on course usually? I like to practice with the same flavor.

Does anyone know what flavor of Powerade they have on course usually? I like to practice with the same flavor.

I believe it's Lemon Lime.

ETA: once you cross the finish line, they have bottled PowerAde in other flavors like Mountain Berry Blast (blue) and Fruit Punch (red). I can't remember if they also give out Grape or Blackberry, though.

As I have only run for a few months, and am only up to 3 miles comfortably, I have no idea what works for me in training! Other than avoiding all I can eat, I am at a loss.

Well, what do you eat now? Just make adrs for places with normal food to you and go from there. And if you realize that longer mileage causes issues, you can modify adrs or get yourself quick service as needed.

For the newbies: there will be a fuel stop where they hand out different flavors of Clif shots (like GUs), but the next water stop isn't for roughly another mile. I don't know about you guys, but I can't take in fuel without at least a sip or two of water.

You have a normal stomach. :) Gels are meant to be eaten with water.

Do you guys have a plan for pre-race meals at the parks? I was trying to plan it out with ADRs right around the corner.
Maybe AK - Yak and Yeti - Friday night
EP - Pasta? Rice? - Saturday night
MK's Dessert Party Sunday night!!!!!!:D

Last edited:
I believe it's Lemon Lime.

ETA: once you cross the finish line, they have bottled PowerAde in other flavors like Mountain Berry Blast (blue) and Fruit Punch (red). I can't remember if they also give out Grape or Blackberry, though.

I've always had Choice of Blue, Red, Or yellow/green one. So no super fun flavors.

Best place to carb load on the monorail loop? Any suggestions
Menus look protein heavy, pastas look creamy...
Thanks!

Thanks!
I ate the noodles at Kona night before the half in 2016 with tofu, asked for them "not greasy"

I ate the noodles at Kona night before the half in 2016 with tofu, asked for them "not greasy"
I agree, Kona is delicious and has several light seasonings for noodles, and have been very accommodating with modifications. Both Japan Epcot restaurants also would offer lighter non-greasy noodles (Raman and Udon, I wish they had soba!) which you could pair with lean protein. Overall, I have found most non-buffet, non-quick service restaurants to be happy to customize food, should they have noodles and you prefer them without heavy cream sauce, just ask. Often they can toss on some lemon peel or the like so it has some flavor.

Thanks!

I agree, Kona is delicious and has several light seasonings for noodles, and have been very accommodating with modifications. Both Japan Epcot restaurants also would offer lighter non-greasy noodles (Raman and Udon, I wish they had soba!) which you could pair with lean protein. Overall, I have found most non-buffet, non-quick service restaurants to be happy to customize food, should they have noodles and you prefer them without heavy cream sauce, just ask. Often they can toss on some lemon peel or the like so it has some flavor.

We usually do Pasta Friday Night and Protein Heavy Saturday Night.

Most food courts have a pasta option on menu and every resort I've paid any attn. at has had special runner meals night prior to races

I agree, Kona is delicious and has several light seasonings for noodles, and have been very accommodating with modifications. Both Japan Epcot restaurants also would offer lighter non-greasy noodles (Raman and Udon, I wish they had soba!) which you could pair with lean protein. Overall, I
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I am gonna try for Kona. We're on the monorail loop and my running partner doesn't have an AP so we won't be in the parks that day.
The Wave has noodles too but that was it. Didn't see anything at GF

Gah....between being homeless for a month living in a vacation rental, moving into our new home then living with post close construction projects and just starting being able to unpack last week I have hardly run. Central FL is soooooooo much hotter than south FL. There's no ocean breeze so the heat and humidity is stifling!!! I also no longer have access to miles and miles of sidewalks. I have either narrow country backroads or a sometimes busy main road with no sidewalks for at least 1/2-3/4 of a mile in either direction. I can get in 2.6 miles with a creative loop around the subdivision, but I really want to get in some runs longer than 4-5 miles without feeling like I'm on a hamster wheel. I'm going to have to suck it up and brave those roads I guess. I'm just nervous because there was a hit and run a few days ago and the 20yo young man died.

My husband signed up for the challenge and he is still nowhere ready to run a 10K for POT. He keeps straining the same calf muscle. We do not run together so I'm not sure if he's pushing himself too hard and too fast during his intervals or if it's due to overcompensating from a serious injury to his other leg from a motorcycle accident 2.5 years ago. Everything I read says he needs to strengthen his glutes and hips which makes sense to me. His pelvis was broken in four places and he has pins still in place. He also has a titanium rod in his lower leg. I really didn't think it was a good idea for him to try to take on the challenge, but he is so stubborn and wouldn't listen.

Posted before I finished my jumbled thoughts......

RACE RETREAT - worth every stinkin' last penny. pre-race food, private bag check, private porta potties and post race food!!! It was heavenly being able to go into that tent and wind down after the race.

Post Race Meals - I had a beer, steak & fries at BOG dinner last year. It was perfect.

Pre-race Meals - I'm not a carb loader. I eat the same way I do at home so I know I won't end up with bloating, upset stomach, etc. I usually have a banana & an organic cereal bar in the morning before my runs.

Fuel during runs - I've tried a few different gel shots and the texture makes me gag. I usually bring swedish fish & pretzels and wash it down with a mix of 1/2 H2O 1/2 powerade and it works great, but I'd like something that doesn't take up as much room in my pockets. I plan to pick up some sport beans and try those out next week.

My husband signed up for the challenge and he is still nowhere ready to run a 10K for POT. He keeps straining the same calf muscle. We do not run together so I'm not sure if he's pushing himself too hard and too fast during his intervals or if it's due to overcompensating from a serious injury to his other leg from a motorcycle accident 2.5 years ago. Everything I read says he needs to strengthen his glutes and hips which makes sense to me. His pelvis was broken in four places and he has pins still in place. He also has a titanium rod in his lower leg. I really didn't think it was a good idea for him to try to take on the challenge, but he is so stubborn and wouldn't listen.

Strengthening glutes and hips would be an amazing idea. Would your insurance let you self refer to a PT? Sounds like he really needs it.

since half awake princess Juli made a reservation for the newish Bon voyage Brfst. on wrong day would any of the other princess's like it? it's for Feb 21st at 9:25 a for 4 adults but am sure it could be changed to somethinng else

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts