2018 Princess Half Marathon

I've been down and out for the last two weeks with back trouble. Finally planning to get on the treadmill after work today to get in three.

My facebook timehop this morning was this year's princess medals. Hopefully we will see the new ones soon. I could use the inspiration.

I would LOVE that. Or a preview of the D&B merchandise. I'm hoping to get a wallet, since I just purchased the Disney Dogs D&B tote and crossbody, which should be here by the end of this week.

I would LOVE that. Or a preview of the D&B merchandise. I'm hoping to get a wallet, since I just purchased the Disney Dogs D&B tote and crossbody, which should be here by the end of this week.

I love the Dogs D&B pattern but I'm not a huge dog person, so I have been able to hold off. I also got last year's Christmas print so I didn't buy that one this year either. I am trying not to buy any more bags until Princess. lol!

My new latest obsession is custom print swim fabric for running skirts. This could be a real problem for me! Haha!

I love the Dogs D&B pattern but I'm not a huge dog person, so I have been able to hold off. I also got last year's Christmas print so I didn't buy that one this year either. I am trying not to buy any more bags until Princess. lol!

My new latest obsession is custom print swim fabric for running skirts. This could be a real problem for me! Haha!

This was my first Disney D&B purchase, and I am a crazy dog lady (one of my dogs is named Copper!), so it was a no brainer for me. If they had offered a Disney Dogs D&B wallet, I totally would have shelled out the cash for that, too, haha.

I know that I am an odd duck here, but I absolutely HATE running when it is cold. And, in my opinion, anything below 55º is cold! We got hit with a cold front Tuesday and my runs are just making me miserable (and how is t possible that we are having our first freeze after setting a record high on Monday?). I'm ready for it to warm up down here so I can enjoy my running again. As is, I'm not running first thing Saturday to get in my 8 miles. I'm waiting until after 10:00 when it will be a little warmer. Come on, sunshine!

Just realize that it could be colder than 55 for princess, so you want to be at least mentally prepared for that.
I'm 90 miles west of WDW and looking at possible temps in the 30s this weekend... almost anything is possible here in winter! I only say "almost" because, while maybe not impossible, I'd say temps in Feb. below zero are extremely unlikely, as are temps over 100. But nearly everything between is fair game :)

I'm 90 miles west of WDW and looking at possible temps in the 30s this weekend... almost anything is possible here in winter! I only say "almost" because, while maybe not impossible, I'd say temps in Feb. below zero are extremely unlikely, as are temps over 100. But nearly everything between is fair game :)

I'm having flashbacks of the Frozen 5K in 2015 where it was 30F at the start of the race. Waiting over an hour in our corral was brutal.

Glad to hear everyone's training is going well! Unfortunately, I'm fighting with plantar fasciitis, and haven't been able to run much at all. Tried to do 3 miles on the indoor track yesterday, had to cut it to 2, and am hurting today :worried: Podiatrist has me on a high dose of motrin, which is working well, until I try to exercise. Doing my stretches and icing faithfully - anyone have any other tricks?? Will probably go for the steroid shot at my next appointment, really hoping that will help so I can train!

I'm having flashbacks of the Frozen 5K in 2015 where it was 30F at the start of the race. Waiting over an hour in our corral was brutal.

That was my first Rundisney weekend. I did the 10K, which was at least a little warmer than the 5K.

I train in NH though, so anything above freezing is a heatwave in the winter here.

I know that I am an odd duck here, but I absolutely HATE running when it is cold. And, in my opinion, anything below 55º is cold! We got hit with a cold front Tuesday and my runs are just making me miserable (and how is t possible that we are having our first freeze after setting a record high on Monday?). I'm ready for it to warm up down here so I can enjoy my running again. As is, I'm not running first thing Saturday to get in my 8 miles. I'm waiting until after 10:00 when it will be a little warmer. Come on, sunshine!

I couldn’t agree more! It’s 49 here and I just couldn’t make myself run today ☹️

Finally did my 6.5 today on the dreadmill. Well, treadmill said 6.56. Garmin and Charity Miles app (both set to indoor run) said 7.8.

Imma be tired tomorrow.

I volunteered for the 5k the month before. Almost as cold, but for January Disney hid the Mylar blankets from the waiting runners (in the first aid tent, where my group hid from the cold and wind before we had to run out to hand out last chance water and Powerade), and they had no heater things.

Both things were solved for Princess 5k, you lucky ducks. My poor hubby and son were shivering with all the other no-Mylar-no-heater January 5k folk.

Finally did my 6.5 today on the dreadmill. Well, treadmill said 6.56. Garmin and Charity Miles app (both set to indoor run) said 7.8.

Imma be tired tomorrow.

I volunteered for the 5k the month before. Almost as cold, but for January Disney hid the Mylar blankets from the waiting runners (in the first aid tent, where my group hid from the cold and wind before we had to run out to hand out last chance water and Powerade), and they had no heater things.

Both things were solved for Princess 5k, you lucky ducks. My poor hubby and son were shivering with all the other no-Mylar-no-heater January 5k folk.

The stand heaters burnt out within 15-30 minutes of them putting them out, and they only put out about a half dozen or so, so getting anywhere near them was darn near impossible. And I don't recall them handing out mylar prior to the start of the 5K, but I know they did after. I didn't do the 10K, though, but did do the half that year, and it had thankfully warmed up by then, so it wasn't so bad.

The cold weather questions have me thinking about being prepared for cold temps in the corrals. What do people recommend? Should I order a couple of mylar blankets to have just in case?

The cold weather questions have me thinking about being prepared for cold temps in the corrals. What do people recommend? Should I order a couple of mylar blankets to have just in case?
Standard advice is hit up Goodwill. I went there and found a pair of sweat pants and zip up sweatshirt. I usually take off the pants walking to the start and drape them over the gates. The sweatshirt comes off about a mile in. All clothing is again donated. So I am "renting" warmth from goodwill! I am always scared of mylar due to timing being blocked at the start as a potential issue. After xmas is also a lot of good deals on sweats at walmart as well as throw away gloves.

Standard advice is hit up Goodwill. I went there and found a pair of sweat pants and zip up sweatshirt. I usually take off the pants walking to the start and drape them over the gates. The sweatshirt comes off about a mile in. All clothing is again donated. So I am "renting" warmth from goodwill! I am always scared of mylar due to timing being blocked at the start as a potential issue. After xmas is also a lot of good deals on sweats at walmart as well as throw away gloves.

Thanks!! I am new to running and races, so I had no idea about this!

I'm a big fan of the Mylar blanket - you can get 8-10 packs of them cheap (I've paid around $1 per blanket) on Amazon. But I also store away things that would otherwise go to Goodwill but can work as throwaway layers and pull them out for chilly races. Cardigan sweaters that have seen better days, old sweatshirts, worn out PJ pants, old race shirts, etc.

Glad to hear everyone's training is going well! Unfortunately, I'm fighting with plantar fasciitis, and haven't been able to run much at all. Tried to do 3 miles on the indoor track yesterday, had to cut it to 2, and am hurting today :worried: Podiatrist has me on a high dose of motrin, which is working well, until I try to exercise. Doing my stretches and icing faithfully - anyone have any other tricks?? Will probably go for the steroid shot at my next appointment, really hoping that will help so I can train!
My PF has greatly subsided. When it was worse, I had to sleep with the boot on. One thing my doctor told me to do was gently massage my feet before getting out of bed and that did seem to help. When I massaged the feet before putting any weight on them I wouldn't experience that pulling or ripping type of pain when stepping down.

I also used ktape when running longer distances.

The stand heaters burnt out within 15-30 minutes of them putting them out, and they only put out about a half dozen or so, so getting anywhere near them was darn near impossible. And I don't recall them handing out mylar prior to the start of the 5K, but I know they did after. I didn't do the 10K, though, but did do the half that year, and it had thankfully warmed up by then, so it wasn't so bad.

This might be something where it’s different depending on where you are. The reports I read of the 2015 princess 5k didn’t mention heaters burning out and did mention Mylar being given out to all and sundry. I was so jealous on behalf of Dh and ds.

I am always scared of mylar due to timing being blocked at the start as a potential issue.

Just don’t keep it around you as you’re crossing the start line.

I have a question. My friend and I are running the Princess together. I am new to running while she is quite the seasoned vet. When we registered, I had yet to have completed a race where I could submit a time. She, on the other hand, had ran a half with an excellent time and put in that information. Right before the deadline to submit our times, she and I ended up running a 10k together and she said she would submit that time so we would be in the same corral. Well, turns out, she forgot to go in and change it but then she realized that she also never linked the faster race that she had originally intended to submit. She put in her time and the name of the race, she just didn't put in the link to the race. So now we are wondering what that will mean for her. Is she going to end up being placed in the last corral? Will they have mercy on her, trust her at her word, and put her where her time would have had her placed? Will it be somewhere in between where she would have been and the last corral? Any ideas?

I have a question. My friend and I are running the Princess together. I am new to running while she is quite the seasoned vet. When we registered, I had yet to have completed a race where I could submit a time. She, on the other hand, had ran a half with an excellent time and put in that information. Right before the deadline to submit our times, she and I ended up running a 10k together and she said she would submit that time so we would be in the same corral. Well, turns out, she forgot to go in and change it but then she realized that she also never linked the faster race that she had originally intended to submit. She put in her time and the name of the race, she just didn't put in the link to the race. So now we are wondering what that will mean for her. Is she going to end up being placed in the last corral? Will they have mercy on her, trust her at her word, and put her where her time would have had her placed? Will it be somewhere in between where she would have been and the last corral? Any ideas?
Impossible to say with any certainty: they may place in her in the last corral for failing to provide the link. But it's also possible they won't catch that and will place her in the corral that matches her estimated finish time. You just won't know until they release corral information a week or two out from race weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter