2018 Princess Half Marathon

I have a question. My friend and I are running the Princess together. I am new to running while she is quite the seasoned vet. When we registered, I had yet to have completed a race where I could submit a time. She, on the other hand, had ran a half with an excellent time and put in that information. Right before the deadline to submit our times, she and I ended up running a 10k together and she said she would submit that time so we would be in the same corral. Well, turns out, she forgot to go in and change it but then she realized that she also never linked the faster race that she had originally intended to submit. She put in her time and the name of the race, she just didn't put in the link to the race. So now we are wondering what that will mean for her. Is she going to end up being placed in the last corral? Will they have mercy on her, trust her at her word, and put her where her time would have had her placed? Will it be somewhere in between where she would have been and the last corral? Any ideas?

My friend runs a 10-minute mile and when she registered for Wine and Dine 1/2 she didn't have a POT submitted (her first RD race, she didn't know). She ended up in the last corral. Just for frame of reference. Are you and your friend running together as in with each other or both running solo? The person in the higher corral can always fall back with the "slower" runner, but you can't move forward.

Just realize that it could be colder than 55 for princess, so you want to be at least mentally prepared for that.

I'm having flashbacks of the Frozen 5K in 2015 where it was 30F at the start of the race. Waiting over an hour in our corral was brutal.

Agreed! Especially for my first half, I tried to run in all types of weather to prepare myself. I actually was prepared for everything but humidity. You can't really be ready for that unless you travel somewhere to train, or you move a treadmill into a sauna!

My friend runs a 10-minute mile and when she registered for Wine and Dine 1/2 she didn't have a POT submitted (her first RD race, she didn't know). She ended up in the last corral. Just for frame of reference. Are you and your friend running together as in with each other or both running solo? The person in the higher corral can always fall back with the "slower" runner, but you can't move forward.

Exactly. No one really knows the secret sauce to how they do the corral placement, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of consistency. I read a story a couple of years ago where someone had done a bunch of Disney races. She had never submitted a time, but always ended up in a good corral. This lead her to believe that since she had run Disney races, they automatically took her previous time each year. Not so, as she learned that year. She ended up in the last corral because she didn't submit a time.

Since I have been missing from the boards lately and not much time to.read all of the pages. What is the theme of this year's race?

Anyone have any tips for running with snow on the ground? When do you go inside for a treadmill run? Any tips for doing run/walk on a treadmill?

It’s supposed to snow in Boston and I’m stuck in a conference all day so I can’t run today. I’ll be finding time to run tomorrow (scheduling this around watching my 1year old neighbor) either outside on potentially snowy streets/trails or on a treadmill. I’ve been on clear roads all summer and fall and haven’t run in winter since high school 10 years ago so I can’t remember if we ran outside in snowy weather or did an inside workout on those days.

Many people use yaktrax for running on snow. Gives you grip.

Sad but true.

I’m trying to be happy with “princess themed” but that doesn’t help my cousin figure out costumes for us. :)

Did the 4 with MM today. Kinda fun. Despite the treadmill.

Anyone have any tips for running with snow on the ground? When do you go inside for a treadmill run? Any tips for doing run/walk on a treadmill?

It’s supposed to snow in Boston and I’m stuck in a conference all day so I can’t run today. I’ll be finding time to run tomorrow (scheduling this around watching my 1year old neighbor) either outside on potentially snowy streets/trails or on a treadmill. I’ve been on clear roads all summer and fall and haven’t run in winter since high school 10 years ago so I can’t remember if we ran outside in snowy weather or did an inside workout on those days.

It wasn't that bad for me today running through Camberville, hope you were able to find somewhere! I've found for a minor snow like this people usually get stuff cleared away or salted pretty quickly, just wait until mid/late morning to give people time to get out there. I'd also recommend sticking close to businesses or a university, who tend to be REAL good about clearing sidewalks. And take it slow!

I managed to train almost exclusively outside for my last PHM, which i hope I can do this time as well because I don't really have the budget for a gym membership right now...

It wasn't that bad for me today running through Camberville, hope you were able to find somewhere! I've found for a minor snow like this people usually get stuff cleared away or salted pretty quickly, just wait until mid/late morning to give people time to get out there. I'd also recommend sticking close to businesses or a university, who tend to be REAL good about clearing sidewalks. And take it slow!

I managed to train almost exclusively outside for my last PHM, which i hope I can do this time as well because I don't really have the budget for a gym membership right now...

My run today was okay. The main roads were clear - as I figured they would be - but the sidewalks were hit or miss & the shoulder didn't get plowed, so I didn't have a lot of space (I went out around 9/9:30 before I had a babysitting gig). The side roads had a dusting still on them, but with not a lot of cars I felt more comfortable running on side roads because I could run in the road without fear of cars. The bulk of my run was on side roads, but just enough was on the main drag that I decided it was safer to cut the run in half and try for 8 miles next weekend. Basically just switching the two long runs.

This first snow-run had me with a lot of anxiety, so I think seeing what it looks like and getting out there will make the next snow days less scary.

Thanks for your tips! :)

Well... she insists that she wants us to run it together. I run slower than her, though, and hate the idea of holding her up. I usually average somewhere between an 11:45 to 12:00 mile and she is often below 11:00. I hate her having to hold up for me. Anyway, she wants us to run together so if she wants to be a pokey little puppy with me, I guess that's her business. That said, I think I would feel better about it if I had to move back corrals to be with her rather than her moving back with me, you know?

So, just for fun on this Monday morning, anyone care to share what costume they are going with this year? I'm still struggling to decide between Snow White and Aurora. But, I know it's getting down to crunch time, and I need to make a decision. What costumes is everyone going with?

Well... she insists that she wants us to run it together. I run slower than her, though, and hate the idea of holding her up. I usually average somewhere between an 11:45 to 12:00 mile and she is often below 11:00. I hate her having to hold up for me. Anyway, she wants us to run together so if she wants to be a pokey little puppy with me, I guess that's her business. That said, I think I would feel better about it if I had to move back corrals to be with her rather than her moving back with me, you know?
FWIW I've been the slower person in this situation and I just made it very, very clear that I was 100% okay with Faster Friend to take off if at any point she felt my pace was hindering her, and there would be absolutely NO offense taken. And then I gave myself a mental pep-talk that no matter what, I was to run at my own pace, that I would not feel any pressure to go faster. It worked, we had a great time, and are still friends. :thumbsup2

What costumes is everyone going with?
I won't be deciding on an outfit until a few days out - the weather is just too iffy in winter here! But I won't do a costume, either, so that makes it easier, lol!

FWIW I've been the slower person in this situation and I just made it very, very clear that I was 100% okay with Faster Friend to take off if at any point she felt my pace was hindering her, and there would be absolutely NO offense taken. And then I gave myself a mental pep-talk that no matter what, I was to run at my own pace, that I would not feel any pressure to go faster. It worked, we had a great time, and are still friends. :thumbsup2

I won't be deciding on an outfit until a few days out - the weather is just too iffy in winter here! But I won't do a costume, either, so that makes it easier, lol!
Good advice. :thumbsup2 Here's hoping I can be as disciplined as you. Last time we ran together, I allowed myself to get sucked into her pace for the first mile. Did that one in 10:25. Really was feeling that around mile 6. :sick:

Good advice. :thumbsup2 Here's hoping I can be as disciplined as you. Last time we ran together, I allowed myself to get sucked into her pace for the first mile. Did that one in 10:25. Really was feeling that around mile 6. :sick:
A strategy you might try is for you to run in front, friend following behind. That way you set the pace, and it's also a whole lot easier to move through the congested first few miles than trying to run side by side. By the time things open up and you can comfortably run side by side, hopefully you'll be in your groove and won't feel the pressure to speed up!

A strategy you might try is for you to run in front, friend following behind. That way you set the pace, and it's also a whole lot easier to move through the congested first few miles than trying to run side by side. By the time things open up and you can comfortably run side by side, hopefully you'll be in your groove and won't feel the pressure to speed up!
Great idea. Thanks!

If she wants to run it with you, let her. She knows you're slower, and it's more important to her that you're together than having a fast time.

My mom and I have agreed to run as Tinkerbell (her favorite) together for the 5K, haven't decided what to do for the 10K, and will be running as Merida for the half. I think I'll pick up this costume on Etsy and then accessorize it:
il_570xN.1159353854_2a07.jpg

I'm going as Rapunzel, I bought a skirt/tutu off of Etsy. I'll pack shorts and crops to go under and I'll either wear by purple raw threads shirt that says "Make today the best day ever" or a have a long sleeved pink shirt, depending on the weather.
This is the skirt I got on Etsy except with a yellow bow like her hair-
il_570xN.1162632356_jz8j.jpg

If she wants to run it with you, let her. She knows you're slower, and it's more important to her that you're together than having a fast time.

Yes, but/and make sure she understands that running slower than usual can hurt too. My bff and my
brother are both significantly faster than me, and both hurt a LOT after we did events together. My brother had a nasty blood blister. My friend just ached in unusual places because being on your feet an hour longer than normal (or in my brother’s case twice as long as usual) is no joke. And walking uses muscles differently; I do intervals and they do not.

So make sure she knows that! :)

I've decided on Ariel for the 10k and Snow White for the half. For my Ariel outfit, I have a purple running shirt, ordered a green sparkle light skirt from Sparkle Skirts, black running capris and ordered this headband from etsy

il_570xN.1008953114_cqgf.jpg

For my Snow White outfit, I will wear a blue running shirt, a plain not sparkly yellow running skirt from Sparkle Skirts and this red headband from etsy

il_570xN.740760753_jv08.jpg

I'm excited about my costumes :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter