2020 dining plan- Aging children up, who has done this recently?

KatLight

Earning My Ears
I would love to here of anyone's experiences aging up their kids on the QS plan. We'll be feeding 2 year old twins while on the QS plan (and have teen boys who are BIG eaters, so they'd make use of any extra meal credits that could be turned into 3 snack credits), and I don't think we'll have enough left over food for them with our 6 and 4 year olds restricted to kids meals. We're considering paying more for our 6 year old (and possibly 4 year old) to get the adult meal plan, but I'm not sure how this actually goes over in practice. Does it create complications or issues with Disney when servers at Be Our Guest, Pizzafari, etc, realize they're using an adult meal credit for a kid who clearly isn't yet 10?

I would love to here of anyone's experiences aging up their kids on the QS plan. We'll be feeding 2 year old twins while on the QS plan (and have teen boys who are BIG eaters, so they'd make use of any extra meal credits that could be turned into 3 snack credits), and I don't think we'll have enough left over food for them with our 6 and 4 year olds restricted to kids meals. We're considering paying more for our 6 year old (and possibly 4 year old) to get the adult meal plan, but I'm not sure how this actually goes over in practice. Does it create complications or issues with Disney when servers at Be Our Guest, Pizzafari, etc, realize they're using an adult meal credit for a kid who clearly isn't yet 10?
I am going to age up my 6 year old for our Free Dining July trip so he can share meals with his 2 year old sister. I don't foresee any issues since we mainly mobile order and I always send my husband to get the food while I set up the table, etc with the kids. The cashiers aren't going to care that you didn't order a kids meal. If we were on the regular DDP, the servers might say something, but I definitely think you are ok on the QSDP.

I don't think they'll care that you're paying more money for the credits, but I would do the math to make sure it makes sense instead of just getting one meal OOP and splitting it between the 2 year olds.

Aren't the tickets more expensive? Am I making that up in my head? I might consider doing this if the dollars make sense. I will have an almost 3 year old, a 5 year old and two adults. I just figured out that this time we are stuck to kids meals the whole time and that's gonna be rough cause I have big eaters.

In the past we've just bought a few extras OOP to go with the kids' meals. We'd let the plan cover the meals for everyone, but then buy an appetizer, a salad, an extra side or two, etc. if needed.

We also do carry some snacks in our bag, so that helped to keep the kids from feeling famished when they sat down to an actual meal.

(This year one of our kids will be an adult on the plan for the first time, and we've been actually assuring him of the opposite---that we have no issue still getting him a kids' meal and a side or whatnot if he wants that. :) )

Aren't the tickets more expensive? Am I making that up in my head? I might consider doing this if the dollars make sense. I will have an almost 3 year old, a 5 year old and two adults. I just figured out that this time we are stuck to kids meals the whole time and that's gonna be rough cause I have big eaters.

It's only about $20 or so difference in ticket price.

if you age up for the meal plan i think it will also age up for your park tickets. just a heads up!! you would be better paying OOP for an extra app or something to that extent

Do you have to call in to age up the child, or is there a way to upgrade their dining plan from the website?

They're a little more expensive, but not much. Paying for the adult dining plan is where it gets really expensive. If you're not getting free dining I really dont think it'd be worth it to pay for more adult dining plans. - At this point I feel like the only way paying for an adult dining plan is worth it is if that adult is planning on drinking a good amount if alcohol (obviously the 10-20 year olds wouldn't even be eligible.) I can't imagine you'd even break even on paying for the adult plan for your kiddos. They really should have a middle of the road price that doesn't include alcohol.

Not at all...Disney will surely love for you to spend more money for the adult plan for any age kiddo. I'd definitely run the numbers though...if you're paying for the dining plan I doubt it'll be worth it... you should be better just paying out of pocket for some extras in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!