2020 dining plan changes- game changer! DxDP - any plan changes or credit sharing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adults being able to order a child's entree at table service restaurants, is at the discretion of the restaurant manager. Not all restaurants in Disney property are owned and operated by Disney. We could not do it at Epcot World Showcase and in Disney Springs.

They offered us an "adult" portion of the child's menu item and charges an adult credit. (We could not use a child credit).

Adults being able to order a child's entree at table service restaurants, is at the discretion of the restaurant manager. Not all restaurants in Disney property are owned and operated by Disney. We could not do it at Epcot World Showcase and in Disney Springs.

They offered us an "adult" portion of the child's menu item and charges an adult credit. (We could not use a child credit).
My son really wanted macaroni and cheese at Boatwright’s at POR a few years ago. We tried to talk him out of it, since it was only on the children’s and he was too old for the kids menu. We asked our server if we could use an adult credit for a child’s menu item. He asked the kid how hungry he was and starving was his answer. So the server said sure, they’d do an adult serving of Mac n cheese just for him.

As our prime rib dinners were served, a huge bowl of macaroni and cheese was placed in front of the kid. I mean a Olive Garden salad serving sized bowl full of macaroni and cheese! We laughed and laughed!

My son really wanted macaroni and cheese at Boatwright’s at POR a few years ago. We tried to talk him out of it, since it was only on the children’s and he was too old for the kids menu. We asked our server if we could use an adult credit for a child’s menu item. He asked the kid how hungry he was and starving was his answer. So the server said sure, they’d do an adult serving of Mac n cheese just for him.

Right - that's different from using child credits for kids menu items to be served to adults, that's requesting a food item from the kids menu, being served in an adult portion. PP was talking about using kids credits to feed everyone at one meal, then using adult credits to feed everyone at another meal - you can get away with using kids credits for anyone at QS(so ordering kids meals for adults at QS) since they just need to make sure the meal category matches the credits. But at sit down restaurants, it's less likely they will allow you to use a kids credit to give an adult a kid-sized meal. They could absolutely use an adult credit to feed an adult something from the kids menu, just in an adult portion.

Right - that's different from using child credits for kids menu items to be served to adults, that's requesting a food item from the kids menu, being served in an adult portion. PP was talking about using kids credits to feed everyone at one meal, then using adult credits to feed everyone at another meal - you can get away with using kids credits for anyone at QS(so ordering kids meals for adults at QS) since they just need to make sure the meal category matches the credits. But at sit down restaurants, it's less likely they will allow you to use a kids credit to give an adult a kid-sized meal. They could absolutely use an adult credit to feed an adult something from the kids menu, just in an adult portion.
Got it. I was merely sharing an amusing Disney family memory.

Interesting because there are many recent reports on this board of the second adult needing to go up to the mobile ordering window to show the ID for the second drink. Here is one thread that has various such reports:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/quick-service-alcohol-selections.3656989/page-10#post-59619310

So many recent reports = A single report from a year and a half ago?

That same thread (that I started, ironically enough) has dozens of reports stating the opposite.

We have deluxe dining and our plan for TS restaurants next month will be to order two adult meals and three kids meals. There are technically 3 adults in our party (13 yr old considered adult) and 2 kids and an infant (1.5yrs). As far as I know, they allow sharing at regular table service locations... not buffet or all-you-can-eat. So we should not have a problem, correct? And if they say anything about us ordering an extra kids meal then I’ll say it’s for the baby! 🤷🏻‍♀️

We have deluxe dining and our plan for TS restaurants next month will be to order two adult meals and three kids meals. There are technically 3 adults in our party (13 yr old considered adult) and 2 kids and an infant (1.5yrs). As far as I know, they allow sharing at regular table service locations... not buffet or all-you-can-eat. So we should not have a problem, correct? And if they say anything about us ordering an extra kids meal then I’ll say it’s for the baby! 🤷🏻‍♀️

You should be fine, but you are paying the price of an adult DxDP which is right around $120 per night for that 13 yr old. If they eat kid's meals at all a la carte and any QS, you'll be losing money.

You should be fine, but you are paying the price of an adult DxDP which is right around $120 per night for that 13 yr old. If they eat kid's meals at all a la carte and any QS, you'll be losing money.
We have two rooms and only put the dining plan on the room with one adult and two kids! 👍

And I hope I win the Mega Millions.

If you think Disney is going to use an increased profit margin to improve the quality rather than pad their bottom line; then you need to get me the number of your pixie dust dealer.
Disney will follow the money. Food and Wine is the most popular time. People love good food and will pay. If they restaurants are no longer chock full of adults eating for a third of the price then maybe we can have nice things again. Many are here saying the DDP is no longer worth it they have to pay for what they use. That means those seats won’t be reserved and open to full paying customers who will demand the quality they are paying for. This won’t change things are Sci Fi Drive on buy it matters ar Cali Grill, Jiko, etc., you better believe.

Sadly, what I’m reading is folks trying every which way to find any way to work around it.

Question. Please don't eat me alive. We have done Disney 5 times with Dining plan, but it's just SO MUCH FOOD and we were doing it for character meals and we may not this coming time. If my husband and I have dining plans can we give them to other people? Such as, one room buys dining plan, another doesn't, and we share credits? Would it matter if the other people were kids as long as we ordered them an adult portion? Would two kids be allowed to share an adult entrée (I know this doesn't work at buffet)?

Question. Please don't eat me alive. We have done Disney 5 times with Dining plan, but it's just SO MUCH FOOD and we were doing it for character meals and we may not this coming time. If my husband and I have dining plans can we give them to other people? Such as, one room buys dining plan, another doesn't, and we share credits? Would it matter if the other people were kids as long as we ordered them an adult portion? Would two kids be allowed to share an adult entrée (I know this doesn't work at buffet)?
We do this every trip! Family of 6 so we have to get two rooms anyways. We do the math and figure out how to assign rooms and put the deluxe dining plan on only one room! The current promo for our dates is KIDS DINE FREE. So we put one adult in the room with three kids and chose the deluxe dining plan. We now have a fair amount of adult credits and tons of kids and snack credits! All for the price of one adult deluxe dining plan.

We do this every trip! Family of 6 so we have to get two rooms anyways. We do the math and figure out how to assign rooms and put the deluxe dining plan on only one room! The current promo for our dates is KIDS DINE FREE. So we put one adult in the room with three kids and chose the deluxe dining plan. We now have a fair amount of adult credits and tons of kids and snack credits! All for the price of one adult deluxe dining plan.

We have done that before too since we take grandma - we put grandma and kids in a room, mom in dad on another. To be honest, and this may get deleted... grandma isn't coming and I'm looking at just buying my kids 3rd party tickets with mom and dad only in a room. I am thinking buffets would have to be kids out of pocket (probably makes $ since instead of burning adult credit), but quick service and just share credit/food. What about table service ordering off a menu - like TRex… how would that work? I guess I would have to run the numbers to see if it makes sense... but My 8 and 3yo could share an adult meal... or order adult size of kid meal and use adult credit - which people mentioned above I think...

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what the situation would be for special diets. We are all vegetarians, there are times when only the adult meals has a decent vegetarian option. The kids meals are chicken nuggets or something along those lines.

I am trying to make sense of this also! One kid has a food allergy (she's gluten/ wheat free) and often has to get a salad or something that is only on the adult menu because chicken strips and uncrustables aren't possible for her. Most everywhere has one gluten free kids option but like someone else pointed out the kids options are pretty repetitious even before you factor in special diet needs. For my daughter they are downright sad now.

This enforcement change just limits us a whole lot more. We arrive in 4 days so I'm not sure canceling our dining plan is possible now but I probably wouldn't have booked one knowing what I know now.

Disney will follow the money. Food and Wine is the most popular time. People love good food and will pay. If they restaurants are no longer chock full of adults eating for a third of the price then maybe we can have nice things again. Many are here saying the DDP is no longer worth it they have to pay for what they use. That means those seats won’t be reserved and open to full paying customers who will demand the quality they are paying for. This won’t change things are Sci Fi Drive on buy it matters ar Cali Grill, Jiko, etc., you better believe.

Sadly, what I’m reading is folks trying every which way to find any way to work around it.
I am sorry, but I really do not think Disney restaurants are full of adults all sharing children's credits. The vast majority of people who go to WDW, are NOT on the DlxDP (or any dining plan), do not go on Disboards daily, and are completely unaware of any "loopholes" with the plan (or that it even exists). I have literally never met anyone in my real life that has more than a cursory knowledge of anything having to do with planning a WDW vacation (and most of my family lives in Florida). People who post on Disboards are not the usual Disney customer. Most people have no idea what is going on!

I am sorry, but I really do not think Disney restaurants are full of adults all sharing children's credits. The vast majority of people who go to WDW, are NOT on the DlxDP (or any dining plan), do not go on Disboards daily, and are completely unaware of any "loopholes" with the plan (or that it even exists). I have literally never met anyone in my real life that has more than a cursory knowledge of anything having to do with planning a WDW vacation (and most of my family lives in Florida). People who post on Disboards are not the usual Disney customer. Most people have no idea what is going on!

I hope you’re right. It was definitely hyperbole on my part but I’m stunned but how common it appears within the hard core community. The same community mind you that rails on any change or price increase.

Generally yes, this should be no problem. Via Napoli won't let you share using dining credits, but I think all others that buffet/family style should be fine. It's just about the number and type of credits. -You would need to be there when you were getting the food or give someone that is your magicband and pin number, but otherwise it should not be ab issue.

We have done that before too since we take grandma - we put grandma and kids in a room, mom in dad on another. To be honest, and this may get deleted... grandma isn't coming and I'm looking at just buying my kids 3rd party tickets with mom and dad only in a room. I am thinking buffets would have to be kids out of pocket (probably makes $ since instead of burning adult credit), but quick service and just share credit/food. What about table service ordering off a menu - like TRex… how would that work? I guess I would have to run the numbers to see if it makes sense... but My 8 and 3yo could share an adult meal... or order adult size of kid meal and use adult credit - which people mentioned above I think...
So, are you only getting the dining plan on your room? That's totally fine and again you can use your credits however you like, but know you'll only have adult credits. You can pay out of pocket for any meals you're wanting to in conjunction with your credits, but you should be able to order 3 adult meals and share if you'd like, for example. Hope that helps.

Just came back from our trip beginning Jan1 through Jan 7. We had two rooms... one with my husband and I and the other with my two adult kids and their partners. We got the Delux dining plan for our room with the intention of sharing the credits to do sit down meals with the whole family and paying out of pocket for QS lunches. We did it successfully for the whole week, with a few minor hiccups. Sanaa, the server said he had to check with his manager if it was ok but was very friendly about it. At 50's Primetime, we were ultimately allowed, but made to feel horrible about it as they made a big deal about it and had to ask the manager and were told that this is policy across all of WDW. We informed her that we were under the impression that we could use the credits however we chose, including paying for friends and family meals. I was just using what I paid for... what difference does it make to them how I use them? All other meals we shared our credits with the whole family with no problem at all. We are all adults and all the credits purchased were for adults. I read the page on the website, and it really isn't clear that I cannot use my credits to pay for other peoples meals. I don't feel like we were cheating the system at all... we paid for 36 adult meal credits and that's what we used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!