24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

If one is really au fait with WDW resort hotels it may be easy to give an immediate considered response to the unexpected telephone call received by the OP, but if one is not or someone who does not like last minute, unexpected change for any reason then it is more difficult. I am a single old biddy but if I didn’t feel confident enough to say, ‘I need some time to think about this, will you call me back in an hour?’, I think I may have used the ‘I can’t possibly agree to anything without consulting my husband. He is quite set in his ways etc’ excuse.
No one likes being put on the spot.

First off back off, don’t need to be a jerk. Just expressing it on here. Isn’t that what forums are about. And honestly any sort of acknowledgement that it is an added inconvenience to anyones vacation only 24 hours before. I’m not begging for compensation. All I am getting at is if this was a Marriott they would have offered up the world to make up for the last minute change.

My word, this is your response to simple conversation.

If you want compensation you need to communicate it to Disney.

“I'm sorry this happened. I also choose our resorts with care and would be very upset with a forced switch at the 11th hour. Liking or not liking Beach Club is not the point if I booked Boardwalk. That means for this trip I want Boardwalk, and that's what I paid for. It's as if if I were to pay for a nonrefundable red dress in a shop, and then have the salesperson send me home with the same size & style dress in green, instead. Objectively, both dresses might be of equal value, but the red dress is what I picked out and paid for, not the green.”

@Mainsail Minnie - great analogy!

I know AFTER I’ve hung up the phone and had time to process what is said on a call I’ve thought about 20 different things I could have said or or asked, which sounds like what may have happened here.

OP, not sure if you’ve had a chance to call. If not (or if you didn’t get a satisfactory response when you did) when you check in today I would request to speak with a front desk leader and explain your disappointment, given the short notice of the change.

Last edited:
We haven't been called before hand. Three years ago we were booked at the contemporary and upon check in they told us we had been moved to the Polynesian. It was a small inconvenience, and they did give us 3 anytime fast passes since we missed one by having to go to another resort.

We haven't been called before hand. Three years ago we were booked at the contemporary and upon check in they told us we had been moved to the Polynesian. It was a small inconvenience, and they did give us 3 anytime fast passes since we missed one by having to go to another resort.

See I would have been upset by that move. I like being able to walk to MK.

I get things happen, but when you’ve made a reservation in advance after choosing a resort and agreeing to pay that amount then I certainly see the disappointment. We prefer YC/BC to BWI so we’d have chosen that, For our upcoming trip with DGS even after discounts came out, I could have had the GF or CR cheaper than the Poly, but chose to stay at the Poly despite finding a better price on discounts. We could have actually gotten club level GF for a few bucks more but I still chose to stay Poly, if I get moved I’ll be awfully disappointed though I understand these things happen. So I completely get the OPs situation. I think it stinks. Surely they can find someone who wouldn’t mind the move so much.

The issue is probably 5 in a room. Is the room capacity for studios and 1 bedroom units at BWV still only 4?

Disney gave you a reason, room unavailable due to maintenance. Disney gave you an equivalent resort, some would say better. If BWI didn't have availability, for a price you were willing to pay, and BC did would you have booked it?

I wouldn't have had an issue. If it mattered I would have politely asked if they could try and move a different guest. I don't think you're entitled to compensation, but if you had asked you might have received some FP.

PP are correct, other hotels might have give you a downgrade.
Edited to add the pool at BC YC is why some people consider it an upgrade. I'm sure Disney assumed OP wanted an EPCOT resort.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people consider Beach Club an upgrade. It's a matter of personal taste. All three Epcot resorts are about the same price. Since I prefer the Boardwalk over the Beach club I would have considered it a downgrade, but that's just me. If that happened to me I would have asked for the Poly or Grand Floridian. If you're not happy callback and ask for what you want.

When I plan a trip I am careful about resort choice. I watch videos, read detailed reviews, etc. I would not be completely fine with being switched to another resort the day before check in and I would have said so. If there were no other choices I would deal. It is not an "upgrade" for the OP. If they wanted to stay there they would have booked it.

When I plan a trip I am careful about resort choice. I watch videos, read detailed reviews, etc. I would not be completely fine with being switched to another resort the day before check in and I would have said so.
As I posted above, there is actually a name for this action: "walking" the guest. Ideally, no hotel would need to do this, and while it doesn't happen often it happens often enough that there is a name for it. The most unusual thing about the OP's situation is that there was any advance notice at all.

Ideally, a hotel needing to do this wouldn't downgrade the guest (yes, I know, I read the Marriott experience) at all, but would refund any price difference. When they upgrade, they do not charge the guest the additional cost. In this case, as far as Disney is concerned, it's a lateral move - Deluxe to Deluxe.

As I posted above, there is actually a name for this action: "walking" the guest. Ideally, no hotel would need to do this, and while it doesn't happen often it happens often enough that there is a name for it. The most unusual thing about the OP's situation is that there was any advance notice at all.

umm yeah I got it. Not sure why you're quoting me??? My point is that OP has every right to be annoyed. So tired of people piling on anyone who complains about Disney.

umm yeah I got it. Not sure why you're quoting me??? My point is that OP has every right to be annoyed. So tired of people piling on anyone who complains about Disney.
Agreed. It makes me laugh how everyone that prefers the Beach club over the boardwalk calls it an upgrade. I’m sure if op wanted the beach club they would have just booked it to begin with. Hopefully Disney comes through and gives them an actual upgrade.

Agreed. It makes me laugh how everyone that prefers the Beach club over the boardwalk calls it an upgrade. I’m sure if op wanted the beach club they would have just booked it to begin with. Hopefully Disney comes through and gives them an actual upgrade.
Yep. And it is rarely if ever mentioned that Beach Club has mostly Juliet balconies. They are a not a plus if you want to enjoy relaxing in chairs with a table on an actual balcony.
Many of us book Yacht Club or Boardwalk for just this reason.

Last edited:
I received a call from a Disney Cast Member less than 24 hours before my check in time at the Boardwalk Resort informing me that Disney does not have room to accommodate my reservation for 5 due to maintenance issues. They offered a room at the Beach Club Resort during our stay and told us to cross out Boardwalk on our Magical Express luggage tags and write in Beach Club. Normally I wouldn’t complain but Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I've never had it happen, but would be interested in finding out what your outcome is. Did you call someone else and ask for what you feel is fair? How were things handled when you checked in. Keep us posted and hoping you are happy in the end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter