24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

A tangentially related story that happened to me many years ago;
My wife and I headed out to Maine in the winter (headed to Sugarloaf). We flew into Boston, then drove up to Inn by the Sea in Portland to stay overnight (purposely provided you the link for reasons you'll see in a minute). The weather was bad, but hey, winter, what do you expect? We get there and walk into the lobby to check in. The guy at the front desk is noticeably rattled - I give him my name and I'm rummaging through my bag for the confirmation info when he says, "I'm really sorry. We had a big ice storm here today and some of the rooms were damaged. We had to give your room to someone else." I'm thinking, oh great, looks like we are sleeping in the rental car. I look at my wife, when he continues, "but don't worry, we've put you up in the Portland Regency and we're going to pay for your dinner tonight and your breakfast tomorrow. Again, we're really sorry."

"O Kay...so...do I pay you for the room here tonight?" I ask.

"Oh no sir. You don't have to pay for anything. We've taken care of it for you."

WHAT!?!
"That's really generous of you, thank you." I said - stunned.

"Oh that's really nice of you to say that. The last guy was really angry."

HUH?!? How could you possibly be angry? I mean, what is wrong with someone to be angry about what we thought was a BEYOND generous offer that we didn't even ask for? Good word of mouth for Inn by the Sea though - we tell everyone that story.

OMG That place looks amazing. I would've been bummed not to stay there - but understand why you had to move. My biggest question is....Did you ever go back?

That is quite the last minute change. I know that I plan my resort choice very carefully and while I wouldn't be thrilled with a change like that, the alternate choice of BC was reasonable. If they added something extra in I think it would put me in a better frame of mind about the change. I would probably ask for Club Level access during my stay or extra daily anytime FPs. A family dinner at a restaurant of my choice would also be good, but it might not be possible if things are booked up.

I don't think an equivalent swap is enough in a situation like this. I hope they gave him some fun extras to make up for it.

I received a call from a Disney Cast Member less than 24 hours before my check in time at the Boardwalk Resort informing me that Disney does not have room to accommodate my reservation for 5 due to maintenance issues. They offered a room at the Beach Club Resort during our stay and told us to cross out Boardwalk on our Magical Express luggage tags and write in Beach Club. Normally I wouldn’t complain but Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
So just wondering how it went? Sorry if you answered this question already, didn’t have time to go thru all the pages? Do you like your room at BC? We love BC but give YC a slight preference because having a full balcony is important to me. Hope you’re enjoying your vacay.

:rotfl2:

Marriott? Marriott?!?!! They literally have a hashtag that people use after they finalized their merger with SPG and rolled out their new loyalty program. #Bonvoyed
It’s been a colossal disaster in the travel world.

Note for next time: Say Hyatt.
We were just scheduled to go to London and stay at the Marriott Residence Inn in a two bedroom suite for three people. The day we left, on our way to the airport, we received an email informing us that the Residence Inn was overbooked, so we were moved to a family room at the Marriott London County Hall, a much better location that is adjacent to the London Eye and within walking distrance of Westminster Abbey. The room was now free because of the change.However, the family room turned out to be a room with two double beds—-not a lot of privacy for my 25 year old son who was stuck listening to my husband snore all night. Ultimately, in addition to comping the room, they gave us 90000 Bonvoy points. I wouldln’t say it was a disaster because they definitely did upgrade the property, but they did give us the room for free because of the inconvenience. Disney doesn’t do that too often.

I just read though this thread. I'm in the "both are pretty equal" camp (I personally love BC) but that being said, I just don't get why people think Disneys "owes" them something. The OP isn't currently at the resort, never checked in... now if they were settled into their room, started the vacation, and THEN had to move, yes I believe some "extra" perks might be involved. But moving from one Deluxe to another...

I just read though this thread. I'm in the "both are pretty equal" camp (I personally love BC) but that being said, I just don't get why people think Disneys "owes" them something. The OP isn't currently at the resort, never checked in... now if they were settled into their room, started the vacation, and THEN had to move, yes I believe some "extra" perks might be involved. But moving from one Deluxe to another...
My room at the Poly had a burst pipe leaking through the ceiling that I had to deal with from 10pm to 2am midway through my vacation, and we were moved to the same room category the next day. No compensation. I just find it very entitled to inspect a handout because the hotel had the bad luck of a maintenance issue. Do you expect an upgrade to first class if your airline flight is delayed?

I think the OP has a right to be upset. I mean we spend a lot of time picking where we want to stay, if we wanted to stay somewhere else, we’d have booked somewhere else. And with such short notice, the OP would have very little chance to make alternate plans on their own.

That said, sometimes unfortunate things beyond the resort’s control do happen. I think we all understand that. But I am surprised that Disney didn’t give the OP more than one hotel option. I would expect that there would be a choice a, choice b or offer of refund sort of deal. If the OP isn’t satisfied with beach club I’d call back and ask for other resort options.

As for other compensation.... eh. Would it be nice if they offered you a room upgrade or extra FastPasses or something? Sure. And in general when I’ve travelled and there has been an issue on the hotel’s part, I have been offered such things, but they aren’t obligated to do it. It’s just good customer service and tends to make what could have been a bad experience, a good experience instead.

I think the OP has a right to be upset. I mean we spend a lot of time picking where we want to stay, if we wanted to stay somewhere else, we’d have booked somewhere else. And with such short notice, the OP would have very little chance to make alternate plans on their own.

That said, sometimes unfortunate things beyond the resort’s control do happen. I think we all understand that. But I am surprised that Disney didn’t give the OP more than one hotel option. I would expect that there would be a choice a, choice b or offer of refund sort of deal. If the OP isn’t satisfied with beach club I’d call back and ask for other resort options.

As for other compensation.... eh. Would it be nice if they offered you a room upgrade or extra FastPasses or something? Sure. And in general when I’ve travelled and there has been an issue on the hotel’s part, I have been offered such things, but they aren’t obligated to do it. It’s just good customer service and tends to make what could have been a bad experience, a good experience instead.

There may not have been to choose from, given the size of her party. Or Disney found an option in the area that the OP had chosen, rather than moving them to OKW or SSR. If the OP did not want the BC, the time to discuss options was on the call from Disney.

I truely do understand the Op being upset, however once she was told she needed to move give the maintenance concern, she needed to let Disney know what would make her happy.

I would only say compensation would be in order if you say originally booked, Boardwalk View Club Level Room, and then they stick you in a standard view non CL room at the other hotel.

As long as what they gave to you was a 1 to 1 replacement, then I don't really see the issue.

They kept you in the same vicinity resort wise, they didn't shove you to Saratoga Springs or Old Key West or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I don’t see the issue, they are basically the same resort. It shouldn’t be any kind of inconvenience.
Exactly. I dont see the problem. Theyre close to eachother. And frankly, the BC is an upgrade from BW.

I would only say compensation would be in order if you say originally booked, Boardwalk View Club Level Room, and then they stick you in a standard view non CL room at the other hotel.

As long as what they gave to you was a 1 to 1 replacement, then I don't really see the issue.

They kept you in the same vicinity resort wise, they didn't shove you to Saratoga Springs or Old Key West or Animal Kingdom Lodge.
I was just about to say this as well....its not like they gave you AKL or Saratoga Springs. Frankly i'd be pissed if they asked me to stay at Saratoga. Not a fan of that resort. But anyway, im sure disney didnt do this unless they absolutely had to. And im not sure what type of compensation youre looking for since BC really is a better resort. But if you feel that strongly about it you can easily speak to a CM when you check in.

I don't think its irrational for the OP to be bummed about the change. I choose my resort strategically and based on a lot of factors personal to me that I am sure I way overanalyze. LOL! That said, I do think Boardwalk to Beach Club is a fair and comparable trade, and fortunately its in the same vicinity so dining reservations specific to the resort shouldn't need to be rearranged. I'd also agree that the time to request additional compensation is when the phone calls is received.

I agree that it's understandable to be bummed about the change. My husband LOVES AKL, and if we had to get switched to GF, even though it's a clear upgrade, it would upset him because it's not his favorite hotel. We all put thought into which place we want to stay at.

But that being said, OP sounds like they expect a lot more from Disney on this. Honestly I think Disney did everything right. They had a maintenance issue, and likely due to your party size, had to move you. They moved you to a comparable resort in the same area. I don't see what else you could've wanted. If you weren't happy with being moved to BC, or you wanted additional compensation, you need to tell someone that. People just assume Disney should move mountains for them without saying anything. I'm sure if you had expressed dissatisfaction with the switch and asked for additional or different compensation, they would've been happy to help and come up with a solution for you.

I'm not sure what inconvenience there is to you, this type of thing happens all the time. If you are that bothered by the change, call them back.

Wow you guys are nice!

I'd be pissed if they changed on me the day before.

Say I booked a room at Boardwalk with a Boardwalk view, it would be because I wanted that view. Switching to the Beach Club would be a big disappointment for me.
Or maybe I just had my heart set on the Boardwalk, being switched would be very annoying.

Maybe they don't need some big compensation, but to act like OP shouldn't be annoyed or disappointed is just ridiculous. Some of you make it sound like they should be thanking Disney instead!

I don't think it is reasonable to expect compensation fro a switch to the deluxe hotel next door. It's a like for like move.

I totally get the OP being bummed. I would be too if I didn’t get to stay in the resort I wanted.

The thing most people are taken aback by is the desire for compensation. The OP has not lost any time or money from this, just perceived satisfaction.

Disney should have at least offered an extra fast pass or something equivalent - would have cost them nothing and went a long way towards a guests satisfaction. It's just good business sense.

Objectively, just because some people find BC an upgrade, does not mean everyone does. For example, I picked POFQ for me and my bf. Even if you gave me a standard room at the Grand Floridian (which is obviously an upgrade for most), I wouldn't want it. I did my research and I booked POFQ for a reason. So I don't think it's fair for people to say stuff like "its not a big deal" "they're comparable", etc. Because maybe for OP its a huge downgrade...

I don't think it is reasonable to expect compensation fro a switch to the deluxe hotel next door. It's a like for like move.
And done for maintenance issues, not overbooking. I think I’d rather be moved to a new resort than have water leaking, or Ac not working, or something else that really could make for a disaster.
I stayed at a Hilton once where I found cockroaches in my room. They didn’t want to move me at all (they did because I insisted- I wanted to sleep!) and all they gave me were 200 Hilton Honors points. That’s it. Not even an apology.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter