25 point add on now or wait for Riviera

the_grinch

Mouseketeer
Hi all this is my dilemma, I am currently an owner of a resale contract I'm thinking of adding on 25 points direct,(for the full members benefit) I am on the wait list for boardwalk. But now I'm thinking I should wait until the Riviera opens up and just get 50 points direct their. My thinking is the Riviera will be a better resort and have a longer life. I'm not liking the fact that the boardwalk ends in 25 years and my current contract ends in 40 years. I understand the cost of Riviera will be more but will it be worth it if the resort is nicer and has a longer life span.

It’s definitely a difficult decision. We’re in the process of completing our first purchase, resale. I have been contemplating where to add on direct. Fortunately for us, we have no big trips to WDW planned for 2018 and first half of 2019, so I feel like we have some time to decide. I had even considered holding off on ANY purchase until more details of the Riviera had been announced, but ultimately decided that, barring any unforeseen financial calamity, prices are just going to continue to increase with all of the new attractions and lands coming in line over the next two years.

50 points might get you 3 nights a year at Riviera during cheapest season ... i suppose if did every other year could be a nice week :) Are there any estimates as to when the resort will be for sale?

As far as the 50 points a year I would be using them as a split stay, so 2 to 3 days a year would be perfect for what I'm looking to do.my akl contract has 200 point so on good on points I'm just looking for the full numbers benefit that is some place near Epcot and Hollywood studios like the beach club or boardwalk

The resort will probably start selling Q2 of 2019.

I think the question also needs to be if you'd use it before then. There is some possibility you'll be disappointed in what Riviera offers. No one has a good grip on if the gondola will meet personal standards of convenience. Nothing's been said about major resort amenities. Nothing's been said about unit quantity and amenities. I mean, this could be the first Capsule Hotel DVC or something. Nothing's out there.

If you're okay waiting and then maybe buying BCV or BWV anyway, I see no downside to waiting.

Hi all this is my dilemma, I am currently an owner of a resale contract I'm thinking of adding on 25 points direct,(for the full members benefit) I am on the wait list for boardwalk. But now I'm thinking I should wait until the Riviera opens up and just get 50 points direct their. My thinking is the Riviera will be a better resort and have a longer life. I'm not liking the fact that the boardwalk ends in 25 years and my current contract ends in 40 years. I understand the cost of Riviera will be more but will it be worth it if the resort is nicer and has a longer life span.
It comes down to how much you likely want to own Riviera. If you will get significant benefits out of a retail ownership like multiple pass discounts yearly, I'd buy now or when you can get what you need. Otherwise, I'd wait until you see all the options in a year and a half or so. I'd stay on the wait list for now with BWV.

Another thing worth mentioning is that as long as the current economy is strong is see no reason why DVC shouldn’t raise the minimum buyin to more than 50.

If you are concerned about the end date for BWV I’d buy my 25 points at my current resort. You know the saying A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I know the standard rooms at BWV are really low cost but a lot of owners are frustrated because they get locked out.

The resort will probably start selling Q2 of 2019.

I mean, this could be the first Capsule Hotel DVC or something.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by capsule hotel, could you clarify?

Sure wish they had those capsules on my long cross country flights to WDW. I'd take the red-eye every time!

I'd get the 25 points now in order to take advantage of the current AP discounts if that is something you'd use.

Then, when Riviera comes out in a couple years, you can buy 50 there if it interests you and then sell your BWV contract if you need the money. You'd likely be able to sell the BWV 25 point contract for over $130, so you would not lose too much in the process and it would allow you to use at least 75 or 100 BWV points in the meantime (plus save money on APs).

Did you ever get the 25 points for Boardwalk? I just went on the waitlist for 30 points at Boardwalk, and wondering if I am likely to get it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!