26 Nights, Triple Celebration Trip...NYC, RPR & HHN....and Irma has a go...A 2017 Trip

Excellent start. After Orlando, New York is my favourite destination. We leave Monday for Orlando, but head to New York in December to enjoy the Christmas festivities. Looking forward to reading.

This is totally random, but the scale in the bathroom thing. My mom has heart issues and has to weigh herself every day as a sudden gain in weight can mean she's retaining fluid which can be dangerous. Perhaps they're in there for people who need to weigh themselves for health reasons? Or the numerous travelers who need to weigh their luggage- too many NY souvenirs to drag home.

Wahoo! So excited to read your trip report. (As I mentioned previously, your last trip report helped tip the scales in favor of booking a Universal Orlando trip.) This is perfect timing for me, because we will be visiting next month; this trip report adds to the pre-vacation excitement. You both have such a positive outlook on life; it's hard not to smile while reading. :) Looking forward to the rest.

Love your reports! It's been over a year since I moved to NYC and I'm still loving it! So happy to see your NYC portion included in this report.

Yay!!! Lovely to see you......has it really been a year!! I`m so glad to see you`re enjoying the move and all NY has to offer.....oh I had to include NY as it`s so fabulous!! Hope you like it.........it`s the ultimate in touristy.......lol

The trip report is off to an awesome start, as always! I totally get missing your boy. My son is off to college. He's only two hours away and we see him often, but still hard to say goodbye for extended periods of time. What a bummer for your first glass of vacation vino to be a dud! But, glad the bartender rectified it with the Pinot Grigio. I'm so happy you were pleased with your NYC hotel with a warm welcome and nice furnishings. That looks like such a spacious room for NYC. I'll have to keep this one in mind as my daughter has been asking to return. Looking forward to the next installment.

Oh that is hard! 2 hours is still a way off when every day life has to go on as normal. I`m lucky he still lives at home really........seems more common over here than in the States for some reason, but I like it!! The room was so spacious.....whole hotel was lovely, I`d definitely recommend anyone to stay there.

Was that St. Patrick's Outside your window? Beautiful view.

Yes, it`s the back of St Patrick`s actually.......the front entrance is on 5th Ave. But the room we booked is classed as Cathedral View King corner room.......we loved it.......

Last edited:
Love Tom's expression with his glass of wine! Beautiful hotel! NYC cabs are more terrifying than any theme park ride I can think of!

We do love our wine!!! lol........yep, NYC cab drivers are a breed unto themselves.......big sigh of relief to get out every time........

The view is just gorgeous from your room, makes me miss NYC, it has been awhile since I have been. What a lovely start to your trip!

Thanks we did love the view especially at night.......you need to get back if you haven't gone for a while, such an amazing city..........

Beautiful hotel and yep, we have crazy city cab drivers too. And yeah, my local railroad decided to start construction on the first Sunday of October. Lucky I have a nice DBro that gave me a lift.

Glad you got into NYC and settled in without much issue. Nice of the hotel to cover the charge of wines.

Yes it was lovely of them to cover our drinks, nice touch!!!

This is totally random, but the scale in the bathroom thing. My mom has heart issues and has to weigh herself every day as a sudden gain in weight can mean she's retaining fluid which can be dangerous. Perhaps they're in there for people who need to weigh themselves for health reasons? Or the numerous travelers who need to weigh their luggage- too many NY souvenirs to drag home.

Not sure the reason why, just not what I want to be reminded of on vacation.......:eek: They do have luggage scales that can be brought to your room on request....we did take advantage of that!!! :thumbsup2

Wahoo! So excited to read your trip report. (As I mentioned previously, your last trip report helped tip the scales in favor of booking a Universal Orlando trip.) This is perfect timing for me, because we will be visiting next month; this trip report adds to the pre-vacation excitement. You both have such a positive outlook on life; it's hard not to smile while reading. :) Looking forward to the rest.

You visit next month!!! How fabulous.........I truly hope you have the best time, and hope you come back and tell us what a fabulous time you had..............yep, we try and have a positive outlook all the time......doesn't pay to dwell........not easy at times though.......and Thank you for the lovely comments and hope you enjoy reading along..........:)

One of the reasons Tom wasn't sure he would love NY was the perceived crowds.......I think he thought every street would be a mirror image of Times Square, total bedlam and he wouldn't enjoy being jostled everywhere........truth is the streets are nothing like that generally......yes, there are areas that are heaving especially Times Sq area at night........now that is busy beyond belief at times.

But, we stepped out after Maurice asking if we needed any helps or maps......nice of him and Tom told him I knew the city well. Well, I knew the places we were going well enough. Stepping out was lovely........I loved the buzz and the sounds of the city sprawled out ahead of us.....I just wasn't sure at this point what Tom would think.

We headed down 51st street towards Times Square where he had wanted to eat at Juniors.......I had raved about this place so much on my previous trips that he really wanted to eat there........as we wandered down I showed him different things like the water displays mum and I had taken pictures. I also showed him The Magnolia Bakery from Sex and the City......he had no clue.......lol.......we liked this little area......

i-zgwZGDr-XL.jpg

i-kkDCbtV-XL.jpg

i-pLzjSHt-XL.jpg

Had to stop on the way past The Rockefeller centre and showed him where the Christmas tree goes every year......as a Home Alone 2 fan this was a must.......

i-z2N7tVf-XL.jpg

i-wWR7wrN-XL.jpg

i-5dZ6g2p-XL.jpg

i-9xQRhHq-XL.jpg

We could have spent ages wandering around but we were getting hungry.........so we sauntered on and Tom got his first view of Times Square........and by a miracle he actually liked it.......even the loud brashness of it all........and it was noisy.......the cabs were honking, sirens were going and every person seemed to be yelling at someone.......gotta love it........

We did kind of stumble through it as we were starving by now and had no clue what time our body clock was on.......but we went round to Juniors and got seated straight away......funnily enough the same table mum and I had eaten on last year. I knew the menu was huge, and Tom had been studying it at home for months........but still had no idea what we wanted.......I knew everything was good which made the choice even harder........we ordered cokes to strat with and sat with this huge menu......

i-2ZC6pLL-XL.jpg

i-jDp58rZ-XL.jpg

Finally we decided on an open turkey sandwich for me, it came with gravy and cranberry sauce which I adore......Tom torn between Brisket or Pastrami decided firmly on both.........not an easy decision..........and oh my........I should have remembered the portion sizes......they put Cheesecake Factory to shame......

i-QG6w8qx-XL.jpg

i-JCM7rcv-XL.jpg

i-CzqxRRc-XL.jpg

It was delicious. Beyond delicious.......but the turkey alone would have fed 4 people easy, didn't touch the mash or the bread but I did enjoy the gravy, cranberry sauce and turkey. Tom made a good dent in the sandwiches but the second one he ate mostly meat.......but so tasty........she did ask if we wanted dessert with a smile as she saw we were done.........but was very tasty.......and cheap at around $50. Not a bad first nights dinner.........

We paid and left and headed back to Times Sq for a few picture opportunities.........

i-7Vz4wC3-XL.jpg

i-4PCts5g-XL.jpg

i-XLQRjwC-XL.jpg

i-m4HBGwn-XL.jpg

I do like the vibe around here.....although the topless painted girls just seem a little off........the grubby characters are bad enough, but this just seems unnecessary.......but heyho.......each to their own......everyone just seems to be having fun though. No one looks miserable and I like it.

Yes, there are homeless around and it`s never pretty. Never, ever felt threatened or unsafe here.......quite the opposite actually......But generally speaking most of the city is lovely to be in and we were going to enjoy it.

We sat and watched the world go by for a while on the very uncomfortable seats splattered around Times Square........then headed back to Rockefeller Centre.

When we had booked the tickets, you could book a time. So I chose just before sunset so we could se the city change form daylight to dusk to dark......it was a risk booking for tonight as we may have been too tired, but for now we felt great........just walking in the city was enough to keep the adrenalin going for us right now.......but Rockefeller is only a few minutes walk from Times Sq so we were back in no time at all.........I do love this area...........actually I say that a lot!!!!

i-HL5ZzsS-XL.jpg

Not quite sure where I had been in this next picture?

i-W5tQC6L-XL.jpg

i-FPKFtKM-XL.jpg

i-nNrR8Fj-XL.jpg

i-w69NBdt-XL.jpg

The building itself is stunning. Inside especially.......the architecture is fascinating and so beautifully done......we spend a lot of time admiring the actual building......our time for going up is a little bit away so we wander downstairs and check out what little there is to see. A few shops and couple of places to eat including Ben and Jerry`s.......so we share a tub of ice cream as we seem to have found a little room........

They are doing a refurb down here, so trying to find the bathroom wasn't easy.......I went to where they were last year only to find them closed......and the only other ones open were waaayyyyy over the other side.......and I`d had two large cokes and an ice cream, so we walked quickly and found them where thankfully there wasn't a queue............always good to see no queue..........

No we were heading up to the elevator to take us to the top. And I don't like heights.

cont in next post.........

For some reason I didn`t take any pictures of the elevator at areas before and after.......I think I may have been getting quite tired though....but it`s a fabulous elevator and feels fast. It is busy though and you do get crammed in a little......I find this quite difficult but you`ve just gotta do it to get up there........

I had been up there twice already with my niece and my mum, so knew the views. But this would be Tom`s first high view of the city and so wanted him to love it......and he did........excluding the yellow crane of course.........

i-h4qbVfF-XL.jpg

i-j26g2pq-XL.jpg

i-5xR9LZK-XL.jpg

It was already starting to twinkle around the city when we got up, so it didn't take long before you could see the city come alive at night with lights of gold all around........it was busy and I have to say I didn't feel as scared up here as I did on the ESB........I just didn't look down, or go too close to the edge......except when Tom said he wanted some pictures of me not looking scared.......lol......

i-xJh4cFX-XL.jpg

Here we got a picture of our hotel from above.........

i-xKLHjGT-XL.jpg

We really just ambled around taking pictures of anything really......the view towards ESB as it got darker got busier in that area.....once someone got a place they didn't move.......

i-9HFnFtc-XL.jpg

i-ZMRr3s2-XL.jpg

i-xvnB6vz-XL.jpg

i-8vgm9Zx-L.jpg

At this point I began to feel a little tired, as in really tired......if I could have fallen asleep on the stone I would. Every year we always seem to hit that wall where time difference really kicks in mixed with the amount of hours we have been awake.......and we still had to walk back to the hotel...........so I told Tom I needed to go. I felt bad as we had only been up there maybe an hour or so.......but he said he had done enough too......he was ready to go. I probably shouldn't have booked it for our first night but as always so much to fit in everywhere.........so we headed down and began to walk back to our hotel...........

Of course the area outside is beautiful..........lights all twinking and it was a warm evening and so pleasant to walk around in..........

i-KbwgCw5-XL.jpg

i-pPs7Zdm-XL.jpg

i-cLMZrDw-XL.jpg

We felt not too bad as we walked back and thought we might even stop into the lounge and have a coffee.......it`s such a pretty hotel and again, especially at night it really is beautiful..........we took a couple of pictures before exhaustion really took over

i-93zkqdF-XL.jpg

i-5Nmhqzm-XL.jpg

i-DPrzsKF-XL.jpg

We then admitted defeat. It was late, well late for us.......must have been 10.30pm which is really 3.30am the next day for us......awake for around 25 hours at that point.......we thought we were doing ok!!! But upstairs and the walk to our room seemed long, which it really wasn't.......

Opened the door and indeed we had been left a gift...........

i-jfmFp7g-XL.jpg

i-g7mLq93-XL.jpg

It was lovely...........even though I don't like chocolate cake, it wasn't overly chocolatey and I did enjoy a little of it.......the champagne we kept for another night...........there was also a lovely personal card which was just beautiful and a lovely touch.

I always love how cosy rooms look at night, and this one was no different.........and the view was spectacular......

i-kRFQGpc-XL.jpg

However the camera didn't much like the glare......so wont post a whole lot of blurry images........

We showered and pottered around for a little bit and finally climbed into the softest, comfiest bed ever......and it was huge........we could both sprawl out and not disturb each other.......or not......:P

The blinds were full blackout and we could barely hear a sound from the street way below........and I think we never even wished one another a good night......we were both asleep before we shut our eyes.

Tomorrow was Long Island and back to the city at night........

Last edited:
Sounds like great start to your NYC adventures...but you did look a little scared in that pic next to the edge or you may have just been tired.

You're racking up on the free champagne and that cake looks delicious as did your meal at Junior's...can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet?

You are a braver person than I. When I went to the top of the Rock I couldn’t get anywhere near the windows. I stayed as close to the wall as I could.

Was “Van Gogh’s Ear” still on display outside? I think it was near Rockefeller Center. You couldn’t miss it if it was still there.

I absolutely love your trip reports! When we were planning our vacation to Universal a year and a half ago, I read all your reports. I felt like I knew where everything was and everything to do. When we arrived, it all looked familiar to me. We are headed back to Royal Pacific next month, can't wait!
We are booked on a Trans Atlantic Disney Cruise next September leaving from Dover, UK to New York. I just booked our NY hotel last week. It looks like the hotel you stayed at is just down the road. I'm so excited to read about your time in NY, we have never been and seems a bit overwhelming. We have decided to hire a private tour company to show us all the major sites. I don't think I could navigate on my own like you.
Thank you for writing very detailed, interesting reports! I am eagerly waiting for the rest!

What a wonderful treat to find a new Schumigirl trip report! Looking forward to the next installment!

Great start to a celebration trip. Always look forward to your trip reports. So nice to see your smiling faces. You are both very photogenic.

Looking forward to more.

I love your trip reports! And you both have the most wonderful smiles! I can tell you enjoy your time together!:-)

Sounds like great start to your NYC adventures...but you did look a little scared in that pic next to the edge or you may have just been tired.

You're racking up on the free champagne and that cake looks delicious as did your meal at Junior's...can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet?

LOL........I was petrified......you should see the pictures I won`t post!!!! Tom has a very short window to take a picture I don't look horrified or scared.......food was fabulous.......and yes.....we do like our fizz!!!

I would have had no clue either:)

:thumbsup2

If you want to see crowds...go during Christmas time :crowded::crowded::crowded: times 10. Lines to get into department stores and lines to see their outdoor displays. It is awesome but you need to have a lot of patience. We went last year and we waited in line for 45 minutes to get into the Lego store! o_O

Yep, cant imagine going there at Christmas.......ever!!! Too cold for me but the crowds look terrifying......

You are a braver person than I. When I went to the top of the Rock I couldn’t get anywhere near the windows. I stayed as close to the wall as I could.

Was “Van Gogh’s Ear” still on display outside? I think it was near Rockefeller Center. You couldn’t miss it if it was still there.

It was gone. I have pictures of it from our previous trip so I did see it.......I thought it was a funny shaped bathtub first time I saw it.......albeit a rather large one.........A NY cop told me what it was when I was chatting to him.......

I absolutely love your trip reports! When we were planning our vacation to Universal a year and a half ago, I read all your reports. I felt like I knew where everything was and everything to do. When we arrived, it all looked familiar to me. We are headed back to Royal Pacific next month, can't wait!
We are booked on a Trans Atlantic Disney Cruise next September leaving from Dover, UK to New York. I just booked our NY hotel last week. It looks like the hotel you stayed at is just down the road. I'm so excited to read about your time in NY, we have never been and seems a bit overwhelming. We have decided to hire a private tour company to show us all the major sites. I don't think I could navigate on my own like you.
Thank you for writing very detailed, interesting reports! I am eagerly waiting for the rest!

Thank you so much!!! That means a whole lot........sounds like a fantastic trip you have coming up......Tom wants to do that route in a cruise to NY one day......Oh NYC is the easiest place in the world to navigate.......you would be just fine, honest.......even the first time I went, we got around so easily....the grid system makes it simple for me who could get lost with satnav instructions!!!!
Hope you enjoy reading, the next day is fairly quiet as we are in LI but then next few days we get around the city........

What a wonderful treat to find a new Schumigirl trip report! Looking forward to the next installment!

Yay.......welcome back........next installment coming up soon......nice to see you.......:)

Great start to a celebration trip. Always look forward to your trip reports. So nice to see your smiling faces. You are both very photogenic.

Looking forward to more.

Welcome Robo........I`ll take the compliment but you`re too kind.........truly hope you enjoy reading along too........

I love your trip reports! And you both have the most wonderful smiles! I can tell you enjoy your time together!:-)

Welcome Cara.........and thank you too!!!! I do like a compliment.....lol......we do enjoy each others company so much......which is a good thing the amount of time we spend together!!! Hope you enjoy the rest........

SATURDAY 9TH SEPTEMBER.........

I can say I have officially slept on the world`s comfiest bed!! It truly was the best nights sleep I`d had for years......of course being practically unconscious before I got into bed may have helped too. Tom woke a few times, got some water and I truly never heard him move.....you are usually aware of your husband moving around but not last night........although.......I felt exhausted......I think a good sleep can make you feel worse some times for a few hours......but nothing a good shower and maybe some make up would help!!

Today we were going out to visit my aunt, two cousins and their families for the day.......well, for some of the day. We had gotten so close over the last 4 years since mum and I had started visiting and had been 3 times. I had such a connection with them and especially my aunt who is so unlike my mum......we always joke she is more like me than my mum is..........so many similarities, likes and dislikes and a trait of having our mouth move before our brain engages at times and being a little too honest at times........or so Tom says......lol.......but we were looking forward to it.

I opened the blinds which spanned the whole window, and were fairly heavy.....but my early morning view was lovely.......it is weird having to look so far up to see some sunlight.........

i-q99LDNz-XL.jpg

We put the tv on as we were of course following the famous IRMA and wondering if it was going to affect us any and of course watching the effects so far. It wasn't nice to watch. But we had to get ready.........shower was fabulous.......and the shower gel and hair products were lovely......my hair was so soft and shiny........Tom said he didn't notice any difference in his hair......:P The hairdryer was a very good standard and dried my hair quickly......actually I have very fine hair but just a lot of it.......Tom`s takes seconds to dry........

We spend a few minutes admiring the view and noticing how quiet it was as it was Saturday.....still busyish on the streets, but nothing like a workday I would imagine when it would be full of NYers scrambling and pacing their way to various offices and establishments. But, now we were both hungry.......we had thought this morning we would eat in the hotel breakfast restaurant The Villard. It looked very nice.

We were met by not the friendliest lady in the world, now I`m never intimidated by snootyish staff.......I get a little imperious if anyone tries to make me feel awkward.......and I did feel the head waiter was also this way. We all have an alter ego and mine was out in full this morning......I hate people who think they are above anyone else.......but, we were seated at a table and I felt it was way in the back so requested a better table.......he was obviously not used to being questioned but as expected it was no problem. He asked where we would prefer and Tom chose the table.

i-hLv8VP9-XL.jpg

It was a very elaborate and extremely ornate design, but had a warm feeling.........we waited a few seconds and our water waiter appeared, we requested still. Then the juice waiter appeared......we declined. He seemed surprised we didn't want juice.......wasn't quite sure why till later.......then came the breakfast menu and we ordered coffee for two........Tom decided after much decision making to have eggs, breakfast potatoes and mushroom with toast.......I opted for the breakfast pastry basket.

i-cpLVp6N-XL.jpg

i-C8T6zBx-XL.jpg

Coffee was lovely. And the breakfast arrived and it was decidedly underwhelming........but nice enough

i-mg4CBSj-XL.jpg

i-65JZKXZ-XL.jpg

I`m being fussy here.........but it wasn't great........and at almost $100 I didn't think it was worth it.......I don`t care what things cost.....if we want it and enjoy it, it`s worth it.......I don't penny pinch and really thought this would be nice.......we did notice the water was $12 a glass......seriously......even by my spendthrift attitude this was not worth it.........and now we know why the juice guy was disappointed we didn't have juice!! So we paid up and left feeling a little disappointed in the breakfast........I was worried I`d be starving by 10am!!!

We went back up to our room as I had a bag full of chocolate to take to the family....they adore the chocolate we bring every year.....so although our cases were jam packed this time, I knew I had to bring some.....we did ok actually.

I did like the elevator and staircase area........

i-ZCwqfhL-XL.jpg

i-rrXwg6Q-XL.jpg

So came back down and we went outside and boy was I in trouble.........it was decidedly cool!!!! Like, really cool enough to have a jacket on......and we were dressed for Orlando!!! Oops........well, I`ll say it was fresh........the sun was glimpsing through the tall buildings but still quite high up.......so we decided to walk down towards Macy`s down 5th Ave so Tom could see that area......it wouldn't be open yet, but we could give him an idea of the area. We were getting the LIRR from Penn St around 10.10am.
As we walked I was getting cold too, but didn't want to draw attention to that fact.....Tom had no cap on so his head was getting cool.......but soon enough the sun would start to warm us a little. Thank goodness.

i-Lfdxr6j-XL.jpg

i-qpJF9bT-XL.jpg

i-7RhfSNW-XL.jpg

i-mhWm7Lg-XL.jpg

We were still really early so I suggested we head to what is Tom`s favourite building........The Flatiron. Since he was a little boy and saw this for the first time it had fascinated him how it came about....the designers had a tiny piece of land and he was intrigued to how the build came about. That`s the engineer in him coming out........so he had to go see that. We set off walking and unfortunately walking into the coolish breeze........oh dear......but it was still early and I knew it would warm up. Just right now Tom was cold.

It`s not far.....and that`s what I love about Manahttan........everything is so close together.....yes, you can walk for miles, but that part I didn`t mind....Tom is not a fan of just walking........he`s definitely a car person and would walk for miles once he is somewhere like the beach or parks, but would prefer to drive there. Hmm.

This was his first view..............

i-hZvC5nD-XL.jpg

As with so many areas in Manhattan you have little park areas settled around......this one is Madison Square Park.......lovely little haven to pass some time....we didn't go in today but it is pretty and has benches all around to wile away some time with a drink.

i-rnRJgSP-XL.jpg

i-v4sHbWF-XL.jpg

We soon head for what is the sunnier side of the street.......and in the sun it is lovely......you can already feel the heat build despite it only being around 9am

i-KBphX3g-XL.jpg

i-kfqtDfn-XL.jpg

i-hQmKPT9-XL.jpg

Of course he has to touch the building he has admired for so many years. He thinks he was around 7 when he first saw an image of it on tv and it truly fascinated him.......always nice to finally to get to see something you like.

We spend a little time here just admiring the morning sun come up and enjoy some heat (thankfully) then as we still have some time before the train I ask if he wants to see the ground floor of the ESB. We planned to do that Monday but we could go in and have a look. So we headed back up 5th Ave and walked till we got to 34th St and the most iconic building in NYC.......well for me anyways.

We walked up, takes 5-10 mins max if you walk slow, and although we were in shade it was decidedly warmer now, so a happy husband.....bless him he never complains.......we go in and although Tom has seem my pictures there`s something special walking in a place like this for the first time........and this was no exception....

i-9PGtQ4Q-XL.jpg

i-ztm99fg-XL.jpg

i-zdknJmb-XL.jpg

Short visit, but I was so glad he had seen the inside of such a beautiful building......the staff were as always lovely and asked if we had decided not to go up.....we explained we had tickets and were coming Monday sometime.....he said he`d look forward to seeing us.......nice man. So we turned around and headed down towards Penn ST which was a few minutes walk away.

With a little stop to take a picture of course.........my cousin who lives in Jersey, the Island off the UK not American Jersey....... had actually flown in with his wife for one night to watch Depeche Mode in concert who were playing there Sat 9th.........we had never gone to see anything at Madsion Sq Garden but would have liked to.

i-rWcMsgN-XL.jpg

So our picture taking on hold for a while we ventured down in to the Subway.......something else I wasn't sure what Tom would make of it......I think the fact it was a Saturday helped, yes it was busy, but not heavingly so that mum and I had experienced coming and going back to LI........I explained to him when the platform appeared on the board there is usually a mad rush..........but today wasn't as bad, we didn't have to wait long when the platform appeared and we headed down for our journey out.

The LIRR is nothing flash. But it`s clean and feels really safe........I still have the image of it from 70`s movies and tv shows......but the reality today is different. We get seated and I am enjoying not having to carry any luggage. We pass the time and Tom watches the changes scenery all the way out. We usually go to Ronkonkoma, but with the work we have to get off at Farmingdale and my cousins husband is meeting us there........then this guy tells us we have to get off at another station and get bussed to Ronkonkoma.......that's not in my plans!!!! I speak to the other conductor and tell him we had been told to get off at Farmingdale.....he tells us no it`s fine........so we sit back down but I worry the other guy was right. We don't have a phone so couldn't call my cousin if there had been a change.....but it was fine.......I did laugh when we got to what was the last stop and the driver announced if you wanted anywhere else you should have listened......lol.......

Got off and my cousins husband had parked over the other side........so we went through the underpass and by the time we got there, they had moved to the original side........so we ran back and met up.........laughing of course at both going to the wrong side.

It`s always comfortable meeting up....even though we don't see them from one year to another and I only met this guy a few years ago, but we hug and I introduce him to Tom and they are like old friends instantly.......then to my delight my aunt gets out the car....I hadn't seen her........I was so happy to see she looked so well despite the treatment she is going though........

We drive out to Oakdale chatting non stop......so much to share.......it is so nice to be there again. I adore Long Island and love the area they live in.......we get to my cousins house and before long everyone else is there. It`s such a fun afternoon......chatting and eating bbq food........and best of all........it`s hot.....and we are sat under a huge sun umberella.........love it. And they were thrilled with the chocolate.......

Everyone got on so well and we laughed the afternoon away. I wont post any pictures of them but they did have a load of cards and a special cake for me........

i-D2Sj3F6-XL.jpg

It really was fun and such a nice day all around......my aunt whispered to me she adored Tom and so did everyone else......even my cousins 16 year old daughter who is at the age everyone is annoying.......lol.......I knew they would. But soon it was time to go......I wished it could have been longer, but with only 5 days we were so limited. It was tough saying goodbye to everyone especially my aunt. Not knowing when I would see her again. But, cousin and her husband took us back to the station in time for the train back into the city........

We get back and decide to take a cab from Penn St to the hotel...........just for time wise really......we have diner plans with friends from Dubai who are in the city........so back to the room to get changed and meet them at Bill`s Bar and Burgers on 51st at the Rockefeller Centre........it was just central for both of us............so we walked down 51st st and it really was just a few minutes walk.

We arrive and are seated immediately.......we don't see them so we keep an eye out for them and order a cocktail. They are a nice couple, but she can be a lot of work if she`s not in the right frame of mind......but we hoped for a good evening........

i-jfGjNkK-XL.jpg

i-vcqKqWv-XL.jpg

They arrive just after that and we do have a nice evening. Again I wont post pictures of them. But food was ok here, nothing spectacular but it was cheap and cheerful.....our waiter also looked eerily like Tom Cruise.......when he was in Top Gun.......and I think he knew it too......he didn't just smile.....he flashed a real gleam.......but he was nice enough.........

We all ordered burgers and I had sweet potato fries and Tom had coleslaw.......all nice but nothing special.......

i-pFgZ2HL-XL.jpg

i-rC9qj56-XL.jpg

I think I had the pulled pork burger....cant remember what Tom had but wouldn`t go back there again. We did share a cheesecake.....again just ok......

i-vCpNBLD-XL.jpg

We chatted for quite a while and had another cocktail, but before long I began to flag a little........so we said our goodbyes again and we set off for the short walk back to the most comfy bed in the world.........although as always.......the walk freshened us up a little........

This is the front of St Patrick`s Cathedral with the 5th Ave main entrance. Our hotel is the building behind.

i-JgC6qRR-XL.jpg

We get into the hotel and we decide to have a cocktail in the lounge before going to bed......it`s only around 11pm and we have a new, albeit short burst of life.........the lounge is nice and very friendly and somewhere you can easily pass away an evening or two.......I think the cocktail I had was a Ruby Kiss or similar.....and our little triple bowl of snacks.......nice........

i-CXWPQBC-XL.jpg

We sit for maybe half an hour or so before the wall hits us again......thankfully we don't have far to go this time. We pay our check and head up to bed and again are truly exhausted.

Tomorrow.....Central Park and a little bit more.........

Last edited:
Great report! You did many of the same things I did with my kids in NYC in 2016.

I hope this isn't rude, but I thought it was kind of funny how well Tom's shirt matched the tablecloth in Bill's!

And I'm also an engineer and find the Flatiron fascinating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!