26 Nights, Triple Celebration Trip...NYC, RPR & HHN....and Irma has a go...A 2017 Trip

Love the ring and the best thing I can say is you and Tom deserve each other...I love you guys :love: such a great couple.

Glad you were able to get everything sorted out and thank goodness you got the best concierge.

Looking forward to hearing about how you spent the bonus days in NY.

So glad the concierge was able to help you get everything sorted so easily! How nerve wracking!

What a sweetheart Tom was to surprise you! Your ring is just beautiful!

Your ring is gorgeous!! You are truly a wonderful ambassador for NYC. I've been there, but I don't like big cities and really never have the urge to visit again- until this TR!

So glad to see this year's trip! I have been looking forward to it. I love your pictures and hearing your perspective on things. One of these days we'll get to NY. It looks so wonderful. I'm sure your son would've loved that chocolate cake! I can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip went. I love hearing about the restaurants you try. I'm going to try to take my husband to Teak next year while we're down. Thank you for all the work you put into these reports! You and your family are lovely.

What a lovely thing to say. Thank you........oh yes Kyle would have loved that cake.......it wouldn't have lasted overnight......and it stayed fresh for a couple of days.......I hope you make it to NY, it really is an amazing city and I`m not keen on cities generally, but there`s something about it that just makes you love it......and you have to go to Teak......fabulous burgers.......nice to have you reading along.......

Will put that NYC trip on the bucket list. Now, if only there would be a direct flight from PIT I could seriously consider it lol.

Wow, talk about a day full o highs & lows! You rolled well with it, good show (always wanted to say that btw:p).

Ring is absolutely divine! Love that style of setting too, easy to wear. As if Tom needed to up his game. That main is raising the husband bar. So nice to see a couple still romantic long into their marriage.:thumbsup2

That concierge was certainly old school, most do little more than sell entertainment tickets & make dinner reservations these days & a lackluster performance at that. Looks the Plaza is still living up to it's stellar reputation.

Had to be scary thinking of the logistics involved to work it all out. Nice to read you scrambled to make it happen & didn't let it ruin your trip. Hooray

We try Janet to not let things beat us......so once we had some help we were fine, but we did feel a little lost immediately.......but you know us......wouldn`t let it beat us.......aww thanks, yes he is a bit of a romantic, I `ll keep him now........lol......oh the concierge was amazing, you called it right actually, very old school where they do actually live up to their name......he was amazing. As I said before......if you need a guide in NYC......I`m there........:D

Your ring is so beautiful! What a sweet, romantic gesture. I'm so sorry your lovely day hit a snag. I was glad to hear you had a sympathetic, helpful concierge and that you were able to recover with such a nice dinner. Gorgeous pics, too.

Thanks.....I love it........yep, a good dinner usually makes it all better......lol.........

Tiffany's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite too!
Love, love, love your new additions, especially the ring. How romantic of Tom!

Definitley my favourite store anywhere..........love Tiffany!!!

OMG! I would have been completely panicking about the flight being cancelled :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Beautiful ring. That hubby of yours is definitely a keeper:thumbsup2

Oh we did, well I panicked....you know that stomach churning feeling in the pit.......awful feeling......if we`d been at home it would have been fine.....it was just having to rely on someone else to help us.......and thanks, I love the ring..........:)

Does Tom have a brother.....

Jk

Does Carole have a sister...

:rotfl:

I`ll answer both........no brother on Tom`s side.......and I do have a sister actually...........:wave:

So glad the concierge was able to help you get everything sorted so easily! How nerve wracking!

What a sweetheart Tom was to surprise you! Your ring is just beautiful!

Yes, big relief......I don't think it came across how stressed I was, all the while with Tom and concierge trying to convince me it would be fine.........thanks :thumbsup2

Your ring is gorgeous!! You are truly a wonderful ambassador for NYC. I've been there, but I don't like big cities and really never have the urge to visit again- until this TR!

I'm kinda similar, not a big fan of big cities, but it`s a whole different atmosphere to most cities.....and so friendly, genuinely.......definitely try and get back sometime........

I told on here of how I lost my wallet on a previous trip with mum.......load of money, credit cards and such. Dropped it on a cab floor.......total stranger found it and spent ages finding me through details I had in the wallet just to get it back to me. He didn't trust the cab driver so took it back to his office and started making calls to get through to me.......a true angel was taking care of me that day........we arranged to meet in the centre of Times Sq later that day at the Police Office and I got it back intact. I was lucky, very lucky, I do know that, but I do believe there are more nice honest people than there are bad out there.............So I do have a genuine affection for the City........:)

Messed up the quotes.......hope I didn't miss anyone!!!

Love the ring and the best thing I can say is you and Tom deserve each other...I love you guys :love: such a great couple.

Glad you were able to get everything sorted out and thank goodness you got the best concierge.

Looking forward to hearing about how you spent the bonus days in NY.

Thanks Vicki, that's so sweet.........:hug: yeah I kinda like him..........:rotfl:I do remind him how lucky he is every now and again......but he knows!! And yep I`m a lucky gal..........

So true

You can never have enough bling

What you showed is gorgeous!

Thanks mac........

What an eventful day. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Yep.....eventful was the way to describe it!!! Nice to have you along..........:wave2:

MONDAY 11TH SEPTEMBER.................

We did actually sleep fairly well last night........but as we woke we lay and mused how Irma had indeed tried to have a bash at our trip.......we were watching it on the Weather Channel as soon as we woke and by now we knew Orlando wouldn't be hit as hard as some places had been......but we did put it off as it was heartbreaking to watch people losing so much.

Today was the 11th and we wondered if the city would feel different today..........but apart from flags lowered, it was just another day. With a the event probably in people`s minds more than usual, but life does indeed go on.

Today we had changed our plans slightly..........I had made a route for us to start at the hotel and work our way totally all the way down to the Staten Island Ferry and maybe walk the Brooklyn Bridge..........but, as we were now going to be staying downtown for two days I had altered it slightly........

But first I checked to see if Kyle had seen our Skype message, he had, so he would be happy to know we were all sorted. He would be at work now so I knew he wouldn't have been online. But as we lay in bed slowly waking for the day, it dawned on us we had to alter the car hire.........we would lose the single day we had booked, but we weren't bothered about that it was only around $65. But for the longer rental car, if you don't turn up...they hold it for only 24 hours then you lose it. So we had to contact the rental company. We book Alamo through a UK booking site, so we had to contact them. We tried to email them and all they said was it was going to cost us more money to lose two days and we had to call them to authorize payment!!! Another sigh.........why is nothing easy......I typed to her she had our credit card details......just add on the costs using that......no. We had to call and it had to be before they closed today. Only being 5 hours ahead this would be ok. So we decided to go back down to concierge and ask them to call.

Showered and dressed quickly and then downstairs. We saw our favourite guy wasn't there, just a lady who at first didn't seem keen to help, but when she understood what we were asking she was lovely........she called the UK number, passed the phone to us and we spoke to someone else fervently hoping the email lady had indeed made notes on our file.....she had, but it took forever to sort out. We weren't very happy with the increase to our booking when we were losing two days after all.......but we had no option........meanwhile we just hoped the confirmation number she gave us would suffice when we landed at MCO. But, we thanked her profusely and appreciated her efforts too.........and again thanked our lucky stars we had chosen The New York Palace as it really did look after us when we needed them.

So now we could start our day. Irma had tried and failed to affect our trip.

We went back upstairs to put the details in our folder and then grabbed my bag and all important camera and set off for the day. We also realized we had both been badly bitten in Central Park yesterday......I had a huge one on the back of my leg that was sooooo itchy!!! Between us we had around 10 bites.

Tom had placed himself totally in my hands, I knew roughly what he would be interested in seeing and what he would happily miss.........so we went out into the street and it was again warm and the sun was way above the skyscrapers for now.......but looked to be a beautiful day.

We turned left and walked down Madison Ave taking our time and looking for a breakfast place that caught our eye........but, we strangely weren't overly hungry this morning......walking down we just took in the sounds of a busy Monday morning, it was busier this morning, but not crowded so pleasant to walk down and take our time. I had thought we would just grab something in Grand Central which was our first stop of the day........anything would do really......Tom was ok with that, so Grand Central Terminal it was........

You can`t really get a good picture of the outside, we turned left at 44th St and there`s a huge amount of building work going on directly in front of the building but it is spectacular......I had remembered a decent set of food options from last visit so hoped we could get something.

We entered the spectacular building and just wandered around for a bit.......trying not to get into anyone`s way that had places to go quickly.......Tom was impressed by the building and the general feel of the place......again, seen in so many movies.........but now as always we were hungry......so we wandered downstairs and found a couple of snack style places and we ordered a BLT each. I went to sit down in a little seating area under the stairs......I didn't make it to seats as there were around 10 homeless people strewn all around the tables.........now, I feel for homeless people I really do, but there was no way I could sit and eat beside them. It wasn't pleasant. That makes me sound horrible, but the smell was dreadful, and the only place I would say I felt uncomfortable....not unsafe just not comfortable.

I turned around and by now Tom was heading towards me with breakfast......I gestured to him to turn around, and by may face he knew to turn.......lol........so we stood by a bar type things and ate quickly. This hadn't been a great idea........but to be honest the sandwich was fantastic!!

We then headed back upstairs..........

i-VtLcBCF-XL.jpg

i-ZCJ8b2H-XL.jpg

i-tn5BwZS-XL.jpg

I was laughing here as there was a guy beside us (I edited him out) who was Italian and very irate at his wife as she wouldn't pose for him.......we were howling with laughter as she was very emphatically gesturing to him she was done with pictures.....I felt for her as it was only around 9am at this point.......was going to be a long day for them........

But for us we were done.......it`s one of these buildings you can see in a very short time, or there are tours you can take where you see The Whispering Gallery which we saw last time, and so much more......I had heard the tour was very good. But, today we just wanted to have a look and say that he had been to the famous Terminal.......not to be called a Station........lol.......

We walked back out and onto 42nd St down to 5th Ave where we headed for the New York Public Library.........famous to us for being where a scene in the original Ghostbusters had been made.......we are quite fickle when it comes to movies........but I had been here and thought it was stunning inside......and of course I adore libraries of any kind.......but as we approached we saw that it wasn't even open yet........we were too early. So I had the plan of doing Bryant Park now instead of after.........plans are always for changing......which is why I very rarely make them.......so we wandered around the corner to Bryant Park.

I wasn't sure we would get in it this year as it was NY Fashion week and the big white tent usually covets the whole park, but it was being held in various locations around the City this year....so we would get to see it.........and this place has the loveliest cleanest bathrooms you will ever see in any City I guarantee........

It sits behind the library between 5th and 6th Ave`s between 40th and 42nd St.......so ideal for anywhere you may be staying centrally........and so pretty.....mum and I sat for a couple of hours last time and could have sat all day.......it`s quite but you are aware of the city bustle in the background.....

i-Gqkp5PX-XL.jpg

i-MgCSRzC-XL.jpg

i-42WHWQS-XL.jpg

i-4Smp4N9-XL.jpg

We bought a Snapple, kiwi and strawberry of course and sat on the grass for a while and just watched the world go by.......there seemed to be every type of person here whiling away the time....families, nannies, students, businessmen looking very busy on laptops and ipads everywhere........some were just like us of course........tourists enjoying the sunshine in this magnificent city.......this park isn't very big and there`s not much to do, but I do love spending time there.....not a bad way to spend a Monday morning.........but by now the library would be open so we hauled ourselves up off the grass and walked back to the library.....

It hadn't opened as we turned the corner..........but was just about too.....I began to wish I had bought sun cream as the sun was incredibly warm and it was 10am......Tom had his cap and my hair wasn't in a ponytail so it should be fine......might be nice to get some colour on us for a change........

The library is impressive from the front......but all I could hear in my head was the Ray Parker Jr Ghostbusters theme as we walked up.....

And so impressive..........the history of the library is all around it, and you can watch a video in a back room of the whole story......it was interesting.......we didn't do it today but again, just wanted to look a round and see it.

i-qnszrjc-XL.jpg

i-3zdbSJt-XL.jpg

It is so cool when you walk in.......and quietish........people are milling around but it`s never been noisy when I`ve gone in.......you do get a cursory bag search......the guy barely glanced in mine......but we were in......

i-42H4fcm-XL.jpg

I take Tom up the far staircase and then we can look around some of the rooms up a level.....some doors have Quiet on them and let you know that students are working there.......so you can go in but just be very respectful.......I never felt quite the need to go into these rooms......we did pop our head in and it was so quiet we didn't want to be clicking away with the camera.......so we mooched into other rooms we could go in. It`s a stunning building and never fails to impress me......and Tom was equally impressed and with the history too.........

i-JFc9jgk-XL.jpg

i-gQshpnw-XL.jpg

i-zmXmpsW-XL.jpg

i-3N59Z2w-XL.jpg

We spent some time in the gift shop which is lovely........and I did buy a few things. One was a leather bound copy of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol....not my ultimate favourite in literary works, but one of them.......and the binding was stunning and the print was beautiful......so that and a few little novelty things for gifts.....they fitted in my bag so didn't need to lug another bag around..........On a side subject, I had tried a Kindle over the last couple of years.....but I prefer a book, a real book that I can really feel as if I`m reading a book.....maybe very old fashioned today, but that's me......I adore books and have thousands of them and struggle to part with them........although at this point Tom did cheekily mention I already have around 5 copies of that book........but not like this one........lol........

So once we were done in there Tom asked what was next...........I simply pointed when we went outside...........

i-BvK4Rbk-XL.jpg

I hate heights with a passion........genuinely scared to even think of being up that high.......even thinking of crossing a bridge, or looking over something high makes my palm sweat and legs begin to feel wobbly.........but......I adore the ESB.........and knew Tom would love it.....and it was a stunningly beautiful day so we should get a good view........Tom has no such aversion to heights and would happily lean off the side if he could to get a better view......something he does frequently to make me jittery and thinks its funny........it`s really not......although I may be the only one who thinks that!!

We turn to walk back down 5th Ave and head for 34th St where the ESB is placed........you can lose it from sight at times as building will cover and hide it.....so I tell folks don't use it as a guide as mum and I looked for it one day and couldn't see it......then we crossed the street and there it was after all........it was the first visit!! The weather is glorious right now......so warm and Tom mentions this is what he hoped for weather wise........

It doesn't take long to get there.....again everything is so close.......Tom checks if I`m hungry.....always a chance.......but I say no I`m fine......we enter through 5th Ave entrance.......and ignore the many touts who try and sell you tickets in a very dodgy manner......them and the HOHO bus people are quite aggressive and will stop you many times to ask f you want to buy tickets......if you just ignore them they don't bother you.......I wouldn't engage in any conversation apart from a very firm No Thanks......anything beyond that and I wont guarantee politeness. Only a few are aggressive.....but mildly so.

So we go in and we indeed see the beautifully dressed floor manager from a few days before......and he does indeed look at us for a few seconds and said I told you I`d welcome you back........we hand our tickets over and are pointed to the escalator that takes you up a level or so. You still have to go through security checks and this can take a time......it`s not overly busy today so we get through fairly quickly and then we head to the equally impressive elevator the higher floors.....you do have to get in another that takes you to the 86th floor.........and again they do fill it with a lot of people......but today wasn't too bad........

i-BJvZv4J-XL.jpg

When we do get to the top....well the 86th is high enough for me......friends who have been to the 102th floor say its not that different and not really worth it.....so we would stick to this one......although I suppose this high up it wouldn't make a difference..........

On previous visits I had almost been blown away as it was so windy.......even when it was calm down on the street.......so I had told Tom to hang onto his hat as it would blow away.......and I prepared to hold on to my top.......almost had an embarrassing display the first year.........so I was prepared......

First step outside and it was...........so calm. I couldn't believe it.......it was as calm as could be.....but beautifully hot........and the view even for my 3rd visit took my breath away.......And Tom was just taking it all in, he was blown away by the view too.........we didn't take pictures for an age.......jut wandered around and looked over the views around us.......although I was kinda sticking to the interior side of the walkways..........Tom however was poking his head over the side where he could and jumping up so he could see down.......I was ill........I cant bear to see people near the edge........it must have ben funny to watch me beg him to stop poking his head over........but eventually we did start taking pictures after about 45 minutes.........and we took a lot........it was slightly misty, just a little so not crystal clear.......but gorgeous........I even managed to let go of the barriers enough to take some pictures of Tom on what was turning out to be a real highlight of the trip to NY........

i-36vv552-XL.jpg

i-PTjcgTd-XL.jpg

i-sDFG8F6-XL.jpg

i-NVB3VN3-XL.jpg

i-pV3Mxss-XL.jpg

i-dqVfJ5L-XL.jpg

i-S58RRKn-XL.jpg

i-3353gwq-XL.jpg

We really did take hundreds of images from up here including some of me........now I am smiling in them......some of them......but I will post the warts and all pictures of me when I didn't know he was around......The first one below I had time to grip on and I suppose smile......this next one he called my name and I didn't have time to put my "I`m not petrified" face on........

i-bwrRXN3-XL.jpg

i-4S2HGWW-XL.jpg

I try again to look relaxed...........I do actually love it here, and force myself to do high buildings because if I didn’t I’d always regret not doing it.......so that’s why I keep going back up every time. Plus if I didn’t do it, Tom would miss out and I couldn’t have him miss this view.

i-C6rgC3r-XL.jpg

i-KmJNCvJ-XL.jpg

At this point we had been up there for nearly two hours.......we were beginning to get hungry and although we were sad to leave we did start to go back down......we did have a last wander around without the camera just taking it all in........we noticed little buildings we recognized and Tom asked me questions that I didn't know.......I think he genuinely believed I knew everything.......sadly not. We did stop off in the gift store and picked up two calendars, one for me and one for mum......and an array of gifts and little Christmas decorations......you know the ones with Kong on the side with a Santa hat one.......but they do have some nice gifts too that aren't all tacky.

Back down on the elevator and outside into the sunshine again.......when you look up it`s quite disconcerting how high the actual building is and that we`ve been up there makes me feel quite queasy at times........but we head down and walk towards Broadway where I have been told is a nice little restaurant.......Martinique Café..........

We take a few minutes and head inside after checking the menu......it didn't have a huge menu but looked decent enough.......we are seated immediately and it seems nice.......our waiter asks what drinks we would like and we ask for two cokes and a coffee.......he comes back fairly quickly and we have already chosen........I opt for a plain burger and Tom goes for the pepperoni pizza.......it was nice and we were starving by now.........

i-z8QLGP5-XL.jpg

i-kPfP8cg-XL.jpg

i-DBvKwDR-XL.jpg

i-Vd8xQmw-XL.jpg

i-XS8fq4Z-XL.jpg

The lunch was nice, but we wouldn't go back there again........not quite sure why.....but just didn't feel the friendliest of places.......there was a manager who watched everything, but to the point of it being uncomfortable.........but it was nice enough food wise..........

We left there and went into Macy so Tom could say he had been in there........we only spent a little time as we needed a little break........we looked around at the bags as I was after a new bag, maybe from Michael Kors.....but didn't see any..........wandered around a couple of floors and then decided we had done enough wandering today......I was so glad we had changed our plans as originally we had another 4 hours or so walking to do.....oops......so it all worked out in the end.........

We decided to get a cab back to the hotel where we planned to have an hours snooze...........

Last edited:
YEA! YEA! I have been patiently waiting your trip report! I so enjoy your reports. I knew you should be home by now. I have read all your reports and finally talked my family into visiting US/IOA and staying at RPR all due to your fun adventures. We leave in 33 days! From someone who doesn't post much, THANKS for taking the time and commitment to post your trip reports, it bring such joy to those of us that can not travel as much.

I am here and enjoying your trip report immensely. I grew up outside NYC and your pictures are bringing back memories for me. I was walking around NY, by myself, in my early teens (close to 40 years ago). It's different now, but even back then, if you walked with a purpose, no one bothered you. Your photos are beautiful and I have to say that I can't look at a photo with Tom in it and not 'smile back'. He's got an infectious smile and looks like he's always having fun :)

YEA! YEA! I have been patiently waiting your trip report! I so enjoy your reports. I knew you should be home by now. I have read all your reports and finally talked my family into visiting US/IOA and staying at RPR all due to your fun adventures. We leave in 33 days! From someone who doesn't post much, THANKS for taking the time and commitment to post your trip reports, it bring such joy to those of us that can not travel as much.

Welcome DontRushMe :wave2:......it’s lovely to have you along for the journey........and Thank you so much......I adore to read folks are going to Universal......and especially RPR.......I truly hope you have the best time there......please make sure you come back and tell us all about it.......33 days will fly past!! Again, thanks for posting and with such lovely comments.......it means a lot to me........:)

I am here and enjoying your trip report immensely. I grew up outside NYC and your pictures are bringing back memories for me. I was walking around NY, by myself, in my early teens (close to 40 years ago). It's different now, but even back then, if you walked with a purpose, no one bothered you. Your photos are beautiful and I have to say that I can't look at a photo with Tom in it and not 'smile back'. He's got an infectious smile and looks like he's always having fun :)

Thanks Chuckers........I’m glad to hear that as I do enjoy writing the reports.....kind of keeps it alive that little bit extra.....yes, I’ve never felt unsafe in the City, even late at night when it was just my niece and I or mum and I......yep, walking with a purpose there is good advice

I told Tom what you said......that did make him smile......:D yes he has an infectious smile......and so much fun to be around.......although I may be biased........hope you enjoy the rest of the report too.........

LOVE the trip report. Your reports never disappoint! Yummy food, beautiful pictures, lovely happy couple and even some wonderful help amongst the nerve-wracking trip troubles.
I must say that some of your pictures are giving me vertigo (electronically:faint:) I don't even know why because I've never had the slightest fear of heights. I skied for years and rode the ski lifts and many times rode the aerial tramway (the longest in the US) from a base elevation of 6559ft up to a height of over 10,000 ft, looking out the gondola window the whole way and never flinching!! Maybe your look of fear and your descriptions are a little too real??
Love the happy smile always on Tom's face. You and he are very lucky to have each other (he also picks out amazing gifts for you):thumbsup2

The pictures of the city are great but make me shudder. I am terrified of heights. When I went to the top of the Rock I gave my camera to my daughter and she took most of the pictures.
Beautiful ring.
I can't wait to see what comes next.

Beautiful ring. Great choice. What’s not to love about Tiffany for sure. So sweet of your hubby to surprise you with your ring. It looks great on your finger.

Your pictures are fantastic of the city.

Wow you did get some nasty bites in the park. I can see them on the back of your leg and arm. My niece is fair skinned like you are and her’s welt up like that to.

Not a fan of heights here either. I remember years ago going up in the ESB. Glad I did it. Have not been back to New York for years.

Your pictures are bringing back nice memories.

...and this place has the loveliest cleanest bathrooms you will ever see in any City I guarantee...

Ha! We used those bathrooms, and I agree! We had a similar day touring Grand Central, the Library, and Bryant Park. Great trip report so far. Thanks!

LOVE the trip report. Your reports never disappoint! Yummy food, beautiful pictures, lovely happy couple and even some wonderful help amongst the nerve-wracking trip troubles.
I must say that some of your pictures are giving me vertigo (electronically:faint:) I don't even know why because I've never had the slightest fear of heights. I skied for years and rode the ski lifts and many times rode the aerial tramway (the longest in the US) from a base elevation of 6559ft up to a height of over 10,000 ft, looking out the gondola window the whole way and never flinching!! Maybe your look of fear and your descriptions are a little too real??
Love the happy smile always on Tom's face. You and he are very lucky to have each other (he also picks out amazing gifts for you):thumbsup2

Oh my goodness I could never do what you did!!!! We`ve gone to Switzerland although we don't ski have gone in winter, but always enjoy the apres ski facilities in the hotels......I look at the ski lifts and cable cars and think.......nope......not for me......I`m such a chicken really. I am so glad you`re enjoying reading though, and hope to keep the pictures coming........and thanks for the lovely comments......:)

The pictures of the city are great but make me shudder. I am terrified of heights. When I went to the top of the Rock I gave my camera to my daughter and she took most of the pictures.
Beautiful ring.
I can't wait to see what comes next.

Thanks......I`m so happy with it.........it`s awful being terrified of heights.....you did well getting up there, but I can imagine how you felt.......it is so high too.......

Beautiful ring. Great choice. What’s not to love about Tiffany for sure. So sweet of your hubby to surprise you with your ring. It looks great on your finger.

Your pictures are fantastic of the city.

Wow you did get some nasty bites in the park. I can see them on the back of your leg and arm. My niece is fair skinned like you are and her’s welt up like that to.

Not a fan of heights here either. I remember years ago going up in the ESB. Glad I did it. Have not been back to New York for years.

Your pictures are bringing back nice memories.

Those bites were horrible! Never really been bitten before anywhere, but they certainly feasted on us that day........Thank you.....yes, it was the right ring for this finger........

NY is amazing.......you should try to get back one day......more pics to come........:thumbsup2

Ha! We used those bathrooms, and I agree! We had a similar day touring Grand Central, the Library, and Bryant Park. Great trip report so far. Thanks!

Aren`t they amazing for a city like New York!!! I couldn't believe it the first time my niece and I went in them.....wasn't sure it was a public bathroom as it was so nice........

Those things are so close together it really does make sense to see them all the same day......I did love how everything was easily accessible in the city and nothing was really too far from anything..........Glad you`re still reading along.........

MONDAY 11TH..........cont

So we get in another death cab ride.........this one wasn't too bad and he spoke perfect English.....so when he took what I felt was a longer way to get to our hotel I easily asked him to go a more direct route. He didn't say anything but I do wonder how many times they try this with tourists....it can easily be a money maker for them if they can extend a journey.......as it was it only cost around $15 for this journey, but if he had gone the way I thought he was headed it would have been double. I do understand some streets are one way and you have to go the wrong way sometimes to get to where you are going but I did think this guy was chancing his luck. No proof of course.

It was so hot by now.......and we felt as though we were flagging a little.......so we got back into the hotel and went for a snooze for a couple of hours......and we really did sleep.......the room was high enough up we weren't disturbed by city noise and we didn't hear a sound from the room next door the whole trip...we saw a couple go in a couple of times, but they were as quiet as we hopefully were......and we had no one the other side of us at all......it was the ideal room in many ways.

So we awoke and despite wanting to go back to sleep, I headed for the shower while Tom watched the weather channel.............wasn't long till we were both ready and heading back out into the city again.

I mentioned I love the Rockefeller Centre area, so we headed back down 51st St and took some photos there and just sat around for a little time and watched the world go by. We were determined that we wouldn't just be rushing around this trip so we did take time to sit and smell the roses and people watch...always fun to do that of course.........

First we stopped off in Saks just for a look around.......but to be honest, it`s not the grand store I expected.......but I did have a wander and bought a scarf for a friend for Christmas I knew she would like.......although she would love the label more.......lol

Not quite sure what caught my eye here.........

i-m4kVB6d-XL.jpg

i-fTRVkS6-XL.jpg

i-5pphNd9-XL.jpg

i-mvhTDmv-XL.jpg

They were setting up a band in the central area tonight.......I wished we were hanging around to watch but we had other plans tonight......but we spent another little while chatting to people and soaking up the friendly atmosphere.........

This is where we got talking to a couple who I asked where they came from......I didn't catch it the first time nor the second time....and honestly didn't want to ask again as it felt rude to do so........not sure why.....lol.....but Tom couldn't make it out either.......and he didn't like to ask either.......but we did exchange enough words to take each others pictures..........I couldn't even guess where they were from.......

i-xbWRhXX-XL.jpg

We then headed down and wandered into Times Square area.......it was busy tonight as always.......but we were heading to The Marriott Marquis for cocktails and maybe a snack......we had thought of booking this hotel this year, well, we actually had it booked for about a week before cancelling, so we really wanted to go see it as friends had said it was a nice place........and the view of Times Square was nice........

I had been in the lobby area on a previous visit and my niece and I went up to exchange money, and the elevators are smart ones......you have to be quick when you press the buttons.......but they are impressive........

The bar area is on the 8th floor with check in if I remember correctly........it`s quite an open area and not busy so we chose a table and sat down........they were just changing the afternoon options for evening offerings so we waited a few seconds for a cocktail menu......but comfy seats meant we may sit here all night......and watching the elevators was quite something (easily pleased at times)

i-pDmKf5k-XL.jpg

I ordered a Chardonnay and Tom went for a beer.......we also decided to have a snack of their home made potato chips and spicy dip.....they were glorious actually........

i-DD3zVXq-XL.jpg

Sitting watching here was very interesting.......I love when you can see a few character type people and there were a few in here........it was entertaining to say the least........we didn't go outside and sit on the balcony area as it was just too hot still.......so sitting here was lovely......

I always say I don't mix wine with cocktails.......but I did tonight........although I was already a little flushed in the face.......I blamed my age....:rolleyes1 gotta be some perk to being 50........

i-ZkDvM99-XL.jpg

We finally finished our drinks and paid the check and wandered over to the windows through the restaurant area........and it was quite a view, and it had cooled down a little so we did think of having another drink and sit for a while........but we didn't.......

i-k9jkSh3-XL.jpg

i-nMkxtHh-XL.jpg

i-5Bhv3HF-XL.jpg

So having taken our fill of pictures here, we left and walked round to Hell`s Kitchen area.......this is real mix of cuisines......I believe you can get almost any kind of food you can think of here........but we walked past loads of places before we felt a little hungry.....our snack although lovely, hadn't filled us up......we stopped off and a pizza place.....cant remember the name but it was busy and there was a queue......but they were quick serving......so we had a slice each and sat down in what was Satan`s Kitchen........no air condition.......we ate quickly and demolished two large cokes

i-s2xkVmR-XL.jpg

It filled a hole and was tasty........I knew we would be hungry later though........

We decided then to grab a cab and go to The Plaza for champagne..........well we ended up with snacks and prosecco.......and I don't know why we have no pictures but we don't. It was nice though, very relaxed and quiet.......and maybe we would consider staying here next visit.......The Plaza isn't just a hotel anymore and I suppose has always had people live there full time but last 10 years or so they've sold off more floors according to concierge.....these people do have their own separate entrance as seen in the movie.......North by North West with Cary Grant......when you see him enter the hotel that he`s meeting someone in, it`s the residents entrance in The Plaza you see him using.......I`m full of useless movie information like that........:D But one of the reasons this hotel is so iconic to me.......it`s in so many movies I love.......

But, we did have 2 smallish glasses of prosecco and I want to say snacks......but they were more nibbles.......so as we hadn't had a proper meal tonight we did feel as though we had missed a meal.........but we did enjoy our evening so far.......

We walked back down to Times Square.......we wanted to spend some time here at night when it was totally dark and see the full effect of the lights.......definitely something you have to do.......

i-FzzFWXF-XL.jpg

i-zMzK4vZ-XL.jpg

i-9GxxBFh-XL.jpg

We did get some street food here as we were kind of ready for a nibble on something.......I think it was brisket and Tom had ribs.......but he ate them before we could get a picture........it was nice and we got some water to counteract the prosecco we enjoyed......but rather strangely we didn't feel as though we had had anything to drink..........

i-JtML53J-XL.jpg

So now we wandered back along some different streets to get back to the hotel.......looking at all the deli`s we passed and the food options in them made us wish we hadn't had the street food.......but we did buy some Snapple and some spicy bbq potato chips to enjoy in the room when we got back......we had nibbled little bits tonight so didn't feel totally full......and we can nibble on chips anytime........

Wasn't long till we were at the hotel...........and we got into our jammies and Tom decided we would have to drink the champagne....so I called and asked for a bucket of ice to sent to the room......and it was there in less than 5 minutes.......now that's service........popped it in the bucket and it was cold in no time.....we weren't particularly tired tonight, so switched the weather channel off and found a movie.......so that's what we did......had our champagne with bbq chips and a movie.........

Nice end to the day..........

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!