• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 day trip over Easter 2022

bobbyseal

Earning My Ears
We just got back from a 3 days in the parks trip over Easter weekend and wanted to share.

We flew down on 4/14/2022 on Spirit airlines. Spirit airlines motto should be "We rob you of yours." But in this case it wasn't too bad. We had about a 2 hour flight and although I'm 6'4" I was able to shoe horn myself into the seat. Flights were on time and luggage came out without too much delay.

We took a taxi over to Cabana Bay Resort. The driver was very nice and moved right along to get us to our resort. A beautiful blue Porsche Panamera was parked in front in the valet line. And that's where the good times ended! The line to check in was incredibly packed. I figured this was a poor omen for our future weekend in the attraction lines. DW and DD timed the average interaction between staff member and guest to get checked in and it was about 5-10 minutes. Very painful. It probably took us 3 minutes to get our keys and on our way. Ugh. It was right around 10:30pm. We ended up getting a family suite which worked out well for the 4 of us.

On 4/15/2022 I was up at 05:45 getting ready to hit that oh so sweet, early park admission. Family was a little slow to get moving, and we got on a 6:45am bus to Citywalk. This is probably the one part that irritated me about Universal. I just wish I could get dropped off right by the resorts and not have to walk all this distance through the shops, etc to get to the park entrance. Anyway, I digress. We visited with a ticket agent to get our tickets and express passes printed out. Into the lanyards they went and we were off to the park.

So, we hoof it over to Hagrid's and the announcement is that the ride is currently down and they don't know when it's going to start up. This was a common theme this weekend. Hagrid's, velocicoaster, hulk, Gringot's, rip ride rocket all had down times this weekend. It seemed excessive.

Since we didn't want to wait yet for Hagrid's we did the Forbidden journey. I really liked this ride. It was fun and well done.
1650411471956.png

After this we had a yummy breakfast at the 3 broomsticks. I didn't get any pictures of the food. I think everyone knows what the pancake breakfast looks like! This fueled us up for the walk to Velocicoaster. My family bailed on me at the entrance. So, I did the single rider line. This was one of the most fun roller coasters I've ridden. What a blast! After this we did Reign of Kong, Spiderman, Cat in the hat, the Fish ride, and then a long wait for Flight of the Hippogriff. They only had one coaster going. It was all of 45 minutes even with express pass.

Lunch was at Burger Digs with a large beer. I definitely needed that by then!

My son and I went on the Bilge Rat barges. We got excessively soaked. My family bailed on me and then I rode Hulk by myself. Again, an awesome ride. Back to the hotel for some rest and then back out for dinner at Bigfire. I was pretty ho-hum on this meal. I got the strip steak, but it was pretty underwhelming. It had a nice woodsmoke flavor to it, but it was such a skinny steak. I was really hoping for a nice 1.5-2" thick cut. Oh well. The Old Fashioned was weak, too. We opted to head back into the park. I took the kids on the accelertron and we all rode the Seuss trolley train.

Dessert was at Toothsome Chocolate. The desserts came out quick, but they were definitely understaffed/staff didn't care as the tables weren't getting bussed/cleaned. Again, we made do. After toothsome, we had to get some breakfast for the next day - so here comes Voodoo doughnuts!
1650412413130.png1650412468092.png

So, Saturday we got the ball rolling again, and made it in for early park admission. Right to Hagrids and we got in line, but it broke down when were about 30 minutes into line. We had about a 45 minute ride closure to wait through and then another 30 minute wait to get on the ride. It was about 2 hours total from when we got into line to when we left the attraction. But, I got to say, that was as great ride. Awesome themes, acceleration, characters, etc. I loved every second of it.

We did Forbidden Journey again, and got some butterbeer
. 1650412860931.png

I tried to get DS to ride Velocicoaster (c'mon last chance), but he wasn't having it. So, we regrouped and then took the Hogwarts Express over to USF.
1650412817768.png
It was just a whirlwind from there. We rode Gringotts (which had about a 30 minute breakdown while we were in line), had lunch in Simpsons land. Got a duff draft at Moes. Then we did the Simpsons ride, Men in black,
ET, Woody woodpecker coaster, Transformers, Fast and Furious, and Jimmy Fallon. DD and I did Rip ride rocket, and finally as a family we finished with Minions

1650413113159.png1650413132958.png

Dinner was at Pat O'Brian's. I really love a good piano bar and it showed on the tab based upon the number of cocktails I had - Old Fashioned, a Hurricane, and a few beers! My son however was done with the forced march through Universal.

1650413234362.png

I'll tackle our last day in response!

Easter Sunday, 4/17/2022 we decided to get up early and do early park admission to USF. It was really nice to have DiagoIn Alley to ourselves. We zipped through Gringots, and spent some time shopping. I got a Hufflepuff badger pin. DD got a Ravenclaw Headgirl pin. We got a Hogwarts express engine Christmas tree ornament, too. It was pretty relaxing to have the park to "yourself" for an hour. We opted to do MIB one more time and then decided to check out Volcano bay.

We raced back to our room and got changed. It was convenient to grab some towels at the pool and head over to Volcano bay. We got just a bit of early park admission in order to find some chairs under an umbrella. DS and I got Express pass and did the main slides available for the single ride pass. Lunch was at Koholo. We were there until about 3:45pm. Other than the out of control selfie taking, it was a pretty good day. Everyone seemed to be an instagram model taking pictures of themselves. By the volcano, by the lazy river, even in the bathroom according to DW. It was getting a bit crazy. Anyway...

After getting back to the room and cleaned up, we went back to Citywalk and had dinner at Cowfish. The Old Fashioned was the best here. We got a shrimp tempura roll. DW and I each got the Bento box. Dessert was at Menchie's for some Froyo.

Sorry that I don't have more pictures, but the meals weren't all that memorable.

That' ended our trip at Universal. We had an 11am flight out on Spirit. We gave ourselves a good amount of time, but getting through ticketing, baggage check and security wasn't too bad. We had plenty of time for breakfast at Ruby Tuesday.

Final thoughts...

We are definitely a Disney family, and I think Disney still has an edge over Universal with quality of food, customer service, and the overall experience. The ride breakdowns were so frequent. It really made the limited time you had really stressful. We got express passes and got unlimited for two of the days. The unlimited pass was probably not worth it. We would still have 20-30 minute waits in line even with the express pass. I think on a busy holiday weekend, one is better to save the money and just get the single ride express pass.

Getting the 3 park hopper was a happy accident. We didn't plan on going to Volcano bay, but I think my son enjoyed that the most.

The food was pretty mediocre at best. I was expecting a bit better from Bigfire, Cowfish, and Pat O'Brian's. At least Pat O'Brian's had some talent on the piano.

Waiting an hour to get through a check in line at a hotel is just awful. We usually stay at DVC resorts and so, we're probably spoiled. But there was just a complete lack of staff to manage the number of people.

Going to Volcano bay was ridiculous as well. Only one security line was open to get people through the metal detectors at the resort entrance. Again, more waiting in line. Once through that you've got to wait in line for the Tapu Tapu. Getting a Tapu Tapu is easily something we could have done in advance at the concierge at the hotel.

Anyway, I love Harry Potter and I really tried to take it all in. I think they did a good job with those themed rides. I started to get kind of bored with the other motion simulation rides. It just became kind of redundant. The fast and the furious ride seemed like a cheap version of King kong. Alright, I stop complaining. I really did enjoy myself despite these criticisms, but I don't really see myself going back any time soon unless the kids really push to do so.

Thank you for writing your trip report.
We are a Disney family going on our first Universal trip next month.
Is there anything you wish you did or wish you skipped?
Thanks for any advice.

My favorite place to eat breakfast is the Today Cafe immediately to the right as you enter Universall Studios .
You did not mention the new Bourne Spectacular… if you did not witness this …Big mistake!
I think you have to allow yourself to just enjoy Universal because it is so different and comes with a completely different set of expectations.
I have stayed at Sapphire Falls and Aventura and Cabana Bay and Hard Rock Resorts. They are fun to explore also.
I get the impression the team members enjoy their jobs and each other. They just seem to be having fun and want their guests to have fun also.

Thanks for the trip report. We a Disney family headed to Orlando for a combined Universal Disney trip next month. We've been to Universal once before shortly after the original Harry Potter area opened. We loved the Harry Potter area, really great theming and I'm looking forward to the all additions. We agree with you about the simulator rides - they all start to seem the same after a while. Food is an important part of vacation of us, so I'm disappointed to hear about the food. Glad to hear you enjoyed Volcano Bay, we're planning to include it on our trip.

Thank you for writing your trip report.
We are a Disney family going on our first Universal trip next month.
Is there anything you wish you did or wish you skipped?
Thanks for any advice.
We really got to do just about everything we wanted to do. I wish we were able to ride Hagrid's motorbike adventure again. I wish I had time to enjoy a beer at the Duff beer garden in Simpson's land, but that was going to get frowned upon by the family! For our first trip, I think we really got to hit up all the stuff. I wish the kids were more interested in some of the roller coaster rides so I would have had someone to ride with, but Velicicoaster and Hulk both have single rider lanes. I got to do them on my own, and so it wasn't too bad.

We enjoyed our time. I just don't think we will be going back for awhile.

My favorite place to eat breakfast is the Today Cafe immediately to the right as you enter Universall Studios .
You did not mention the new Bourne Spectacular… if you did not witness this …Big mistake!
I think you have to allow yourself to just enjoy Universal because it is so different and comes with a completely different set of expectations.
I have stayed at Sapphire Falls and Aventura and Cabana Bay and Hard Rock Resorts. They are fun to explore also.
I get the impression the team members enjoy their jobs and each other. They just seem to be having fun and want their guests to have fun also.
Yes, we didn't do the bourne spectacular nor did we do the Hollywood Horror Makeup show. Those would have been fun to do. It's hard to coordinate everything, but we did have a lot of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter