3 Months to Go - What Do I Need to get into US etc.?

chudlyfudly

Mouseketeer
I've got about 3 months to go, and aside from being very very excited I'm a little nervous about missing something. I've been pretty meticulous with my planning for the actual Disney side of things (e.g. ADRs, fastpass plans etc) but I'm currently unsure as to what I'll need to actually get from UK into the US.

This is my first holiday abroad to the states without family (and by extension with someone else in charge of keeping everyone organised) - what do I need to get into the US? Do I need the ESTA that's at the top of this UK forum?

Thanks in advance, I know this is potentially a bit dense but having never been 'in charge' before I want to make sure everything is right!

Yes you need an Esta and of course a passport! The Esta doesn't take long to come through, it is all online, but do it a few weeks before you go in case of problems.

When you are doing the Esta take exceptional care and review all answers on the last page before pressing submit. If you answer any but the first question in the affirmative by mistake, you are refused entry and likely your only recourse is getting an interview with the US Embassy for a visa. If you have a criminal record etc, you'll run into problems.
Also watch out because as you scroll down after selecting the boxes, it can change an answer by accident. This happened to my wife who ticked no to the first question on diseases etc, and failed to spot it when it accidentally changed to yes, before submitting. My son was refused the Esta 4 weeks before travel. Needless to say a heated discussion ensued...
Fortunately this first question is the only one they'll allow you to change and do another Esta after 24 hours. Any others and we'd have been scrabbling to attempt to get a US Embassy appointment in a month, which was touch and go.
So do it now, straight away, in case you did run into problems.
Also given its your first application don't be surprised if it takes a day or more to come back with an approval, don't worry, on your first that is normal.

The ESTA is pretty straightforward, just take your time going through it and you’ll be fine! I did all 3 for my family and they’ve allowed us entry lol!

Have you got insurance for the trip? Don’t want anything happening out there and being faced with a massive bill. Don’t go for the cheapest but one that offers good all round cover for theft, cancellation, illness etc.

Are you on any meds? If so, make sure you have enough for the trip (if relevant) and keep in the packaging - don’t want a “and what are these little white tablets?”. You should be able to get most over the counter stuff in Florida.

If you’ve got your own place in the UK have you cancelled any regular orders such as milk? Have you pets that need boarding? List of those to send postcards and emergency contact details.

Have you let your bank / credit card company know you will be abroad? Don’t want them putting a hold on your account thinking it’s a fraudulent payment and having to contact them from the US to say yes, it is me.

Um, can’t think of any other major ones. Make a list on Excel and print out what it is and where so you can tick if done then sit back and enjoy your holiday!!

Thank you all for your help! I've done the ESTA and everything was fine, so one less thing to think about! Double, triple and quadruple checked it!

The ESTA is pretty straightforward, just take your time going through it and you’ll be fine! I did all 3 for my family and they’ve allowed us entry lol!

Have you got insurance for the trip? Don’t want anything happening out there and being faced with a massive bill. Don’t go for the cheapest but one that offers good all round cover for theft, cancellation, illness etc.

Are you on any meds? If so, make sure you have enough for the trip (if relevant) and keep in the packaging - don’t want a “and what are these little white tablets?”. You should be able to get most over the counter stuff in Florida.

If you’ve got your own place in the UK have you cancelled any regular orders such as milk? Have you pets that need boarding? List of those to send postcards and emergency contact details.

Have you let your bank / credit card company know you will be abroad? Don’t want them putting a hold on your account thinking it’s a fraudulent payment and having to contact them from the US to say yes, it is me.

Um, can’t think of any other major ones. Make a list on Excel and print out what it is and where so you can tick if done then sit back and enjoy your holiday!!

Thanks so much for such a detailed response. Insurance is covered now too so happy about that! Everything else you've mentioned is all good, but great thinking with regards to the bank - they have a habit of thinking I'm not me using my card just when I go to London for a couple of days, let alone the States, so I should mention that.

Cheers!

I would re-inforce the comment about your credit/debit cards - absolutely essential that you let them know where you are going and your dates of departure and return - and it is easy - just a phone call away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter