3rd adult fee different depending on resort

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
Is that normal? Our daughter will be 19 when we go. I started playing around, curious as to what the price difference will be, and found it different depending on the resort. I was expecting a $10 extra per night fee.

RPR, HRH, and Portofino quotes me a $35 difference for 3 adults and 1 child versus 2 adults and 1 child.

Sapphire Falls = $15

CBBR and Aventura = $10

Yea that adult status starts at age 18

Those extra hotel charges add up to increased expenses

Is that normal? Our daughter will be 19 when we go. I started playing around, curious as to what the price difference will be, and found it different depending on the resort. I was expecting a $10 extra per night fee.

RPR, HRH, and Portofino quotes me a $35 difference for 3 adults and 1 child versus 2 adults and 1 child.

Sapphire Falls = $15

CBBR and Aventura = $10

different level of hotel. RPR,HRH, and Port all have the express pass included. Consider the daily cost of the express pass for an adult.
Where it is a real steal is when you have two adults and two 16 yo in the room. They are considered children for the hotel, but adult in the park. So, you are getting the express pass for them for free.
I was bummed when my kids aged up, but the cost of extra adult compared to the daily cost of express pass is still a good deal IMO.

Yup. It is like their parking fee. It used to be $25 and was recently upped. I think it is stupid.

Yeah, everything costs more. They have limited parking space, and if it was free it would fill up with day guests to the parks who just park there and hop on a boat, or walk over to the parks.

But...when you only have 1 adult in the room, the price is not decreased $35.....

The surcharge only happens when more than two adults are booked in the room

Sigh - that figures. As far as I'm concerned it's just another money grabbing technique from greedy corporates. A more expensive nickle & diming. Even with the EPs being included with RPR, that does not justify a $25 leap in a 3rd adult surcharge. I expected higher room rates for RPR as a higher end resort that included EPs, but did not to expect to have excessive surcharges added. No wonder it was quoting $860 more to stay at RPR over CBBR. $420 of that was just for a 3rd adult.

Nope - My family is priced out.

Thanks for the answers!

Most hotels we use outside of the Orlando hotels in other states have the surcharge for 18 + of age

You misunderstood. I expected a surcharge for a 3rd adult. In my (granted, limited) experience at different hotels it's been $10. I was shocked to find RPR wanted $35.

I think it was $25 last time we took the family in 2013. Not surprised it went up. I think Disney's were similar, also based on resort level.

If you are staying 12 nights, you could try a split stay to lessen the extra.

Last edited:
You misunderstood. I expected a surcharge for a 3rd adult. In my (granted, limited) experience at different hotels it's been $10. I was shocked to find RPR wanted $35.

It had been $25 for years and years and years. I don't recall it ever being less than $25. I think only Cabana Bay (and maybe Sapphire Falls) was $10. It has to do with the express pass.

This is standard in the hotel industry, no matter where you stay. Room rates are based on double occupancy. Not single occupancy, not triple occupancy. If you are 1 person in the room, you pay the rate as is. If you more than 2 people, you pay extra per person. In addition, hotels look at that third 18+ person as someone capable of booking their own hotel room, so it's a way to offset the lost revenue. And lastly, they'd also attribute it to the extra wear and tear on the room, housekeeping work, etc.

I called the UO hotel today and asked what the additional charge is for a third adult for PBH, HRH and RPR

I was told it has increased to $35 + tax each night the extra adult is on the reservation.

18+ is considered an adult

I'll update the stickies with the new information

If you stay in Disney’s villa rooms booked on cash CRO, there isn’t an extra adult fee. Just something to keep in mind. Mine are 18 and over now. The extra adult fees can really add up. Sometimes it can make the difference closer between two rooms and the suites at Universal deluxe hotels. Cabana Bay is so inexpensive that you may as well get two rooms or suites.

Sure.

Of course, the villas booked directly could easily be well over the cost of the Uni deluxes.
That’s true. Some of them are really pricey. I’ve gotten SSR and OKW one bedroom villas routinely at $300. AKV is higher so your better off using points instead of cash there. I only mentioned it because when we stay over at Disney it brings the cost between a moderate room and a one bedroom villa a lot closer.

Last edited:
That’s true. Some of them are really pricey. I’ve gotten SSR and OKW one bedroom villas routinely at $300. AKV is higher so your better off using points instead of cash there. I only mentioned it because when we stay over at Disney it brings the cost between a moderate room and a one bedroom villa a lot closer.

I haven’t seen the villas go for that low even using member cash discount, congrats.

Don’t forget to factor in if using points you also get free parking @ WDW when comparing rates

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!