40th Bday - Universal & RPR - last minute plans are the best plans

AussieBritTraveller

ready for our 2nd orlando trip
So around this time 3 years ago I attempted my 1st PTR and well never quite got around to following it up, the excitement of it all took over and work was so crazy at the time I remember just being so happy our travel day had arrived after 18 months waiting

20180801_170533.jpg

20180801_165821.jpg

Anyways we had an amazing time, stayed onsite at RPR, fell in love with Universal & orlando (not Disney fans) went to Halloween Horror Nights, SeaWorld, Aquatica, Wet and Wild and Busch Gardens. Oh and saw Janet Jackson in Concert!

So fast forward to now my husband Rob and I have since bought a house and our puppy Jackson who just turned one and has taken over our lives in the most wonderful way! 20180801_170603.jpg

My 40th is in October and one Sunday in March we were having a few afternoon drinks as you do and we started discussing how cool it would be to go to orlando, just the two of us for my bday and you know what, we booked it then and there. Very Random!

So our Itinerary is quite relaxed but the plan is ....

We are staying at Gatwick North Premier Inn on the 19th Sept

We are flying with Virgin on 20th September, 1st time in Premium because I'm turning 40 off course (you will hear that a lot this trip)

Staying at RPR for the whole 2 weeks

leaving :( on the 6th October and arriving back in the UK on my actual bday

We've got our Universal Park Tickets as well as HHN for 6 nights and express passes for both. SeaWorld, Aquatica, Volcano Bay and Busch Gardens booked too

We are very chilled travellers, but ideally most days will involve getting up, going to the parks, then having pool afternoons and parks in the evening

We love all food and drink and plan on trying a few places we missed last time and off course checking out Universals sister hotels too

and I promise ill actually keep this trip report going once I get back

Cheers
Matt :)

Last edited:
Oh cool, great time of year to go

Can I ask how you add photo's, sorry I'm basic lol

For photos go to upload file when you're doing a reply. Then choose your photos. Sometimes, I have to resize my photos as I get an error message when uploading that the file is too big. I'm not a pro at the photo upload, either!

YAY!!!!!

Matt....you made it back...…...yes I do remember you not completing the last one :rolleyes1

Fantastic to see you back on the boards and planning what sounds like a fabulous trip...…..I very rarely read pre trip reports, but will read yours and Rob`s of course...……

You will love Premium with Virgin...….it is head and shoulders above other Premiums......and we do like TC Premium for long haul...…..

We will have to meet up of course......it`s far too early for us to make plans, but nearer the time will definitely make arrangements...….we are at Sapphire for our last 4 nights but RP for first 15 nights. I`m sure StrongWater will make it in there at some point...…..

I still remember vividly meeting you and Rob in the lobby that day...…. I blushed so bad as you were very kind with your comments...…::yes::

I use a hosting site called smugmug…...upload them from laptop and it is so easy to post them on here......no resizing or faffing around......it is a pay site though, but so worth it...….

Look forward to catching up...…...:wave2:

Traveling back home on your 40th is not the way to celebrate your birthday.

So you have to celebrate everyday you are in Orlando !!

I'll be on the look out for youse.

Might be like looking for a needle in the haystack at UO

Hope you write more about your trip before you leave home

Hi so glad to find your report! :goodvibes Sounds like a great trip and birthday you have planned! I love the pic of the puppy, so cute!!

I will be watching to follow along!!

So this was Jackson's face when he realised we were going away again

20180708_113021.jpg

Poor little thing, we didn't have a good experience with his last boarder but we have found one through friends and we feel much more confident that he will have a great time without us

So further to trip planning - We are both rollercoaster nutters but also love all the simulators and both think Forbidden Journey is the best ride in the world, just so clever!

Rides that will be new for us are

Hulk - was sadly closed for refurbishment in 2015 so I have never ridden it, Rob hasn't been on it since 2013
Jimmy Fallon, Kong - Skull Island and F&F are all first time rides
Mako & hopefully Infinity Falls at SeaWorld
Cobra's Curse at Busch Gardens
Ray Rush at Aquatica
and off course Volcano Bay is all new for us
and off course Volcano Bay all new for us

We really want to visit the other universal hotels and will definitely be having a few drinks in Strongwater bar thanks to @schumigirl recommendations
We love the cocktails at RPR - the Witchdoctor is our fave, looking forward to some lazy pool days too

Foodwise
We really want to try Toothsomes
Red Lobster - need to repeat as last time my jet lag kicked in and I had to go home as I felt really sick
Fogo de chao
Millers Ale House
Bahama Breeze
Longhorns
Cowfish and Red panda on Citywalk and Voodoo Doughnuts!

And we love a drinkie so pretty much any bar in town we will try at least once :)

Unfortunately as we all know the GBP to US exchange rate is crap so we haven't got quite as much budget as last time but we are quite good at making our travel money last and as I will keep saying "its my 40th"

Love Millers Ale House near Universal on Kirkman.........avoid the one on International Drive!

Longhorn, Red Lobster and Cowfish are fabulous choices.......and of course Voodoo donuts are lovely. We are not fans of Toothsome at all........but many enjoy it........

You have some lovely plans there........

And of course StrongWater is fabulous!!

OMG how gorgeous you guys are! I know Schumigirl loves Red Lobster, but it certainly has gone downhill (but I haven't been to the one in Orlando, so that one may be better than the Midwest ones I've tried!). I love VooDoo Donuts although others don't... I gained 15 pounds in one week when my hotel in for work in Portland was just down the street... What a great plan for your 40th!

OMG how gorgeous you guys are! I know Schumigirl loves Red Lobster, but it certainly has gone downhill (but I haven't been to the one in Orlando, so that one may be better than the Midwest ones I've tried!). I love VooDoo Donuts although others don't... I gained 15 pounds in one week when my hotel in for work in Portland was just down the street... What a great plan for your 40th!

Yes, one we used to go to near the Four Points hotel, and it went downhill dreadfully.........I would always recommend going to the Red Lobster opposite the Convention Centre way down the other end of I Drive.......it’s their flagship restaurant in this area........fabulous!!!

Poor little thing, we didn't have a good experience with his last boarder but we have found one through friends and we feel much more confident that he will have a great time without us

AWW! Our fur babies do sense when we are "abandoning" them!! Glad you found a great doggie hotel for him! We have a gem of a pet sitter for our cats- it truly makes you relax on vacation knowing the "kids" are well-taken care of!:thumbsup2

Joining in on the fun...sounds like you have some great plans and we will be there at the same time!

I like the desserts at Toothsome better than the entrees. The chocolate almond bread is pretty good too.

Love your furbaby Jackson :dog:

AWW! Our fur babies do sense when we are "abandoning" them!! Glad you found a great doggie hotel for him! We have a gem of a pet sitter for our cats- it truly makes you relax on vacation knowing the "kids" are well-taken care of!:thumbsup2

Yeah I am sure he will be fine on this trip, the other boarder just didn't get to grips with him. He is a clever pup :):)

Joining in on the fun...sounds like you have some great plans and we will be there at the same time!

I like the desserts at Toothsome better than the entrees. The chocolate almond bread is pretty good too.

Love your furbaby Jackson :dog:

I am more a savoury person and Rob is more sweet person, so it will be funny when we try toothsome!

We might see you around!

So I'm not sure if I have mentioned but we are not big fans of Disney

Now I cannot judge too much as I have never been to a Disney Park (Maybe i am missing something)

Rob went with his son in 2013 and while they liked Disney they LOVED Universal. They found Disney more a chore and involved a lot of planning where as Universal was more up their street

I have seen and read enough vlogs and blogs and forums to know that Disney is just not for me, Universal is so chilled and the express passes are a treat (The Disney Fastpass system sounds irritating)

We did discuss maybe doing a disney park or 2 on this trip but decided against it, just seems more suited for kids and families of adults who have grown up loving Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts