40th Birthday Couple Trip

chekhovgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I'm planning two years ahead for my 40th, always wanted the chance to explore Disney how I would without the kids, and now that we have four (Brady Bunch situation!) I am even more looking forward to staying in a place we normally couldn't afford with our crew, but mostly spending quality time with my (soon to be) husband. Don't worry, we're taking the kids in April 2020 :-)

The biggest thing I'm trying to figure out now is where to stay so I can budget and also reserve when I need to. We always stay at Bonnet Creek because we love it and also because of the sheer number of people we're usually traveling with (kids plus extended family), so this time I'd like to stay on Disney property (I think my last time was 2011 in POFQ!).

Here's what I'm looking for in a resort for March 2021:

• A resort that highlights being outdoors (I'd prefer a Poly or Riverside feel to the Contemporary or POP)
  • Pool and hot tubs! We're coming from New England and want to be in water
  • Moderate room or Deluxe via DVC point rental - so would love suggestions about that!
  • Location that you think would be good for adult dining, activities, and also resort hopping - always wanted to check out more resorts without the kids in tow!
  • Don't need to be on the monorail, but would be nice to have a transportation option other than the bus
Would love suggestions/insights on your experience. Want to keep it under $300 and considering a split stay!

Thank you!

Animal Kingdom Lodge has most of those except the bus requirement and easy resort hopping. The only places for resort easy hopping are on the monorail or the hotels near Epcot: Boardwalk, Beach Club, etc.

If you want to spend a few evenings at DS I wouldn't discount SSR, there's a lovely laid back feel to it.

If you want nights at Epcot or dancing or at Jellyrolls (duelling piano) then BW or BC.

There's something special about WL too if you are looking for an outdoorsy feel.

Don't get too hung up on transportation, you can lyft or uber. Disney transportation, including the monorail, is overrated.

Epcot area hotels - YC/BC have a great pool, decent pool service, great atmosphere with the "beach" and boardwalk, and being a few minutes' walk from Epcot is fantastic. You are also a 15 minute walk or boat ride from HS.

Beach Club is awesome! The pool area is nice and you can walk to take a boat to both EPCOT and HS. We stayed there in 2018 and are going back in 2020.

Hands down the Beach Club or Boardwalk. We rented points at BWV last trip. They both have great pools and pool bars. Decent hot tubs. The walk to Epcot and DHS can’t be beat. I love the Epcot area resorts especially at night.

Another vote for the Beach Club/Yacht Club. The pool is the best on property. Lots of good places to eat and drink close by, both in Epcot and at the five area resorts. The ability to walk to two parks and the Boardwalk entertainment district.

Wilderness Lodge has the boat to MK which is such a treat. Two pools and hot tubs, outdoor lounge right on the the water, just much nature themed and one of the more affordable deluxes.

Wilderness Lodge! It’s a more moderately priced deluxe, and so perfect for couples. My DH and I celebrated his 40th and our 15 anniversary at WDW, and that’s where we stayed. It’s the perfect adult resort. We also stayed there on our first anniversary trip. Our kids have never been there actually.

For an adults only trip, I would go for a DVC points rental at BWV or BCV. Easy access to two parks, plenty of dining options (don't forget dining at Swan/Dolphin) and an easy relaxing walk over to EPCOT for a drink or desert at night. We stay at BWV's all the time and love it.

Fyi beach club and yacht Club are usually over 400 a night unless you rent one of their villas from an outside broker in advance, which we have done. Wilderness lodge you might get a better rate on. We are from New England and Saratoga Springs is our favorite. Sprawling resort but beautiful setting. We rent points from there as well.

Fyi beach club and yacht Club are usually over 400 a night unless you rent one of their villas from an outside broker in advance, which we have done. Wilderness lodge you might get a better rate on. We are from New England and Saratoga Springs is our favorite. Sprawling resort but beautiful setting. We rent points from there as well.
Yacht Club is hotel only, there are no DVC villas there.
Denise

Poly! You can take the boat to Narcoosees for a great dinner. I really enjoyed the quiet pool. The main pool was colder. The hot tub by the volcano pool was very nice.There is also a nice hot tub by the quiet pool. The resort is beautiful at night with the tiki torches lit. Have fun deciding!

I would look into WL. In addition to boating to MK, there is also a boat that runs between WL, CR, and the FW Campgrounds. Once you get over to the CR, you have more restaurant options or you can hop on the monorail to one of the other resorts and check out their restaurants. WL has two pools and I think there is a hot tub at each one of them.

My other recommendation would be one of the Boardwalk area resorts. If you have a park hopper or an AP, you can hop over to EP world showcase for any of their restaurants. Otherwise, there are several restaurants to explore in the Boardwalk area. Don't forget to check out the restaurants over at the Swan/Dolphin too. They have some pretty good options there. You are also close to the Fantasia Gardens mini golf, if that is something that interests you. The Boardwalk Villas are my favorite in this area, followed by the Yacht Club with the Beach Club coming in third.

Happy planning!

Hi all, I'm planning two years ahead for my 40th, always wanted the chance to explore Disney how I would without the kids, and now that we have four (Brady Bunch situation!) I am even more looking forward to staying in a place we normally couldn't afford with our crew, but mostly spending quality time with my (soon to be) husband. Don't worry, we're taking the kids in April 2020 :-)

The biggest thing I'm trying to figure out now is where to stay so I can budget and also reserve when I need to. We always stay at Bonnet Creek because we love it and also because of the sheer number of people we're usually traveling with (kids plus extended family), so this time I'd like to stay on Disney property (I think my last time was 2011 in POFQ!).

Here's what I'm looking for in a resort for March 2021:

• A resort that highlights being outdoors (I'd prefer a Poly or Riverside feel to the Contemporary or POP)
  • Pool and hot tubs! We're coming from New England and want to be in water
  • Moderate room or Deluxe via DVC point rental - so would love suggestions about that!
  • Location that you think would be good for adult dining, activities, and also resort hopping - always wanted to check out more resorts without the kids in tow!
  • Don't need to be on the monorail, but would be nice to have a transportation option other than the bus
Would love suggestions/insights on your experience. Want to keep it under $300 and considering a split stay!

Thank you!

Since you are from New England, I would go with Wilderness Lodge.
Yacht & Beach Club resorts are beautiful too. I just think Wilderness Lodge will transport you to somewhere totally different than your NE norm.

As much as I love the Beach Club, I don't think this provides the lush outdoor environment she's looking for. Wilderness Lodge sounds more like it to me.

Since you are from New England, I would go with Wilderness Lodge.
Yacht & Beach Club resorts are beautiful too. I just think Wilderness Lodge will transport you to somewhere totally different than your NE norm.

This is what I have been thinking over the past few days. You and @FoundNemoLostDori nailed it. Beach Club looks amazing, but it would be weird to travel to Orlando to feel like we're staying in New England! I definitely want something more tropical/lush feeling. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter