Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I want cookies, but it's 9pm, the cookie store is half a mile away (and I don't feel like paying for delivery), and I might be going for cookies again in a few days. I should skip the cookie store trip, right?

Okay, I'm gonna go put on shoes and buy some cookies. I'm terrible.

Final Pre-Race update coming tomorrow. Plan is to head to the expo shortly after it opens at 11 (I wanted to go today, but life got in the way).

Also ... I had some cold brew in my hot coffee mug. I reeeaaaaallly need a new iced coffee tumbler. I'm actually considering a Tervis, but I gotta do some more thinking.

I want cookies, but it's 9pm, the cookie store is half a mile away (and I don't feel like paying for delivery), and I might be going for cookies again in a few days. I should skip the cookie store trip, right?

Okay, I'm gonna go put on shoes and buy some cookies. I'm terrible.

Final Pre-Race update coming tomorrow. Plan is to head to the expo shortly after it opens at 11 (I wanted to go today, but life got in the way).

Also ... I had some cold brew in my hot coffee mug. I reeeaaaaallly need a new iced coffee tumbler. I'm actually considering a Tervis, but I gotta do some more thinking.
Go get the cookie. And get a tumbler. shop disney . com can deliver you a run disney tervis sometime after the calendar start to spring.
I have been using mine of late and it makes me happy. I took it into the tornado shelter/bathroom this evening at work and many co-workers asked about rD. This was a significant conversation starter in an awkward situation.

Go get the cookie. And get a tumbler. shop disney . com can deliver you a run disney tervis sometime after the calendar start to spring.
I have been using mine of late and it makes me happy. I took it into the tornado shelter/bathroom this evening at work and many co-workers asked about rD. This was a significant conversation starter in an awkward situation.

I enjoyed my white chocolate macadamia cookie! Although when I got there the place was full of high schoolers ... so I went somewhere else for a few minutes then came back when they were gone.
And I'm actually looking at getting a Harry Potter Tervis. I just have to figure out what my best price option is.

I love that runDisney tervis is a conversation starter. So cool! But ... tornado shelter? Yikes! I hope everything is ok!

I enjoyed my white chocolate macadamia cookie! Although when I got there the place was full of high schoolers ... so I went somewhere else for a few minutes then came back when they were gone.
And I'm actually looking at getting a Harry Potter Tervis. I just have to figure out what my best price option is.

I love that runDisney tervis is a conversation starter. So cool! But ... tornado shelter? Yikes! I hope everything is ok!

Tis the season for severe weather, no problems. I am confident the HP tumbler will also spark conversation and smiles when you make your move! I was hesitant to buy the rD one but I really do like it for cold drinks.

Have you looked at a Yeti, or is that more of an intense cup than you need? I have...three (one for home, one for coffee, one for the office), and they are the best cups

Tis the season for severe weather, no problems. I am confident the HP tumbler will also spark conversation and smiles when you make your move! I was hesitant to buy the rD one but I really do like it for cold drinks.

Ah. Not living in a tornado area, I didn't know there was a season for severe weather.

Have you looked at a Yeti, or is that more of an intense cup than you need? I have...three (one for home, one for coffee, one for the office), and they are the best cups

From what I've seen, Yeti cups are all stainless steel, and I like using a plastic cup for cold. So that's why I'm not really looking at Yeti. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

United Airlines NYC Half - Final Plans

Getting There:
Decided not to check a bag so that I can sleep in a little - plan is to wake up around 5:45-6ish, leave here around 6:45-6:50, hoping to get there around 7:45-7:50.
I was invited to a birthday party on Saturday night, but I think I'm not going because I want to be in bed by 11:30.

Outfit:
With the forecast now being a little colder than previously expected, I'm going with the outfit that is warmest without having to add extra layers - Rocket To The Finish. Black skirt, black Buzz Lightyear-themed Raw Threads hoodie, black tights. Bonus: it matches my bib.
If the forecast gets warmer between now and Sunday, I may swap the hoodie out for a patterned gray/black shirt.

I don't remember if we've discussed this, but shoes are the same Brooks Levitate 2 that I wore for the marathon. I ran my last half in the 880s, but I'm not risking that pain again.

Race Plan:
So, there's a whole big pacing scheme that I wrote out based on some recommendations from Coach that's too complicated for me to bore you guys with. So here's the short version:
Start off on the slower side, slowing down even more on the uphills. Gradually speed up (slowing down again on another uphill, but then gradually speeding back up), staying at "goal" pace for most of the middle of the race. Play the end by ear, since there are some small hills, giving myself the option to speed up, stay the same, or slow down, based on how I feel.

Race Goals:
Major Goal:
#1: Conquer and/or enjoy the Manhattan Bridge
Minor Goals
#2: New PR (current is 2:27:50 from last year's race)
#3: Sub-2:25
#4: 2:22

Number 1 is the real goal. Last year's race was so much fun ... except I let the crowding on the Manhattan Bridge get to me. This year I'm still going to try to run at my planned pace, but if the crowding makes that hard, I'll either slow down or walk and take pictures. The time goals are secondary here, so it's okay if I'm off pace on the bridge, as long as I'm enjoying myself.

#2 through #4 are various stages of attainable (#4 is probably not, but whatever), but I honestly don't care if I hit them or not.

Post-Race:
So ... this is a question mark. After the finish line there's a bit of walking, and I finally exit the park at Columbus Circle. Options after that include:
Option 1 - Take the C home (assuming it's running local on CPW, which is a big assumption), shower, change, then meet my Facebook running group for drinks.
Option 2 - Take the 1 to 79th Street, buy some cookies, then either walk or bus home, shower, take the cookies to a high school basketball tournament (not for the players)
Option 3 - Take some train home, shower, change, then watch TV all day
Option 4 - Some combination of the above
Which one of these I choose will depend on some other people's schedules, so I probably won't know until the night before the race. So we'll see.
Coffee situation will depend on which one of these I choose. There is cold brew in the fridge if that's the option I want to go with.

Track Me:
Everyone's favorite section of the update!
There are two ways to track me:
1 - NYRR website: https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NYH2019#/tracker/
2 - United Airlines NYC Half App (for iOS or Android)
Bib # 21481. I think it should be in the system by now. If not ... it will be by race day.

Oh, there's no section on the expo because I didn't spend much time there. I wasn't feeling it. I may stop by the RunHub next week and pick up a shirt and/or the Zante Pursuits, though.

And ... that's it. I'm excited for this one. Should be a fun race.

2:28:11
22 seconds off of a PR. I'm okay with it. I made the decision early in the race to not really push myself, so the fact that I was on pace for a PR until pretty close to the end is insane. I'm a little disappointed not to have gotten the PR, but mostly I'm happy. It was a good race and a good celebration of my training.

Also ... Manhattan Bridge was fun.

More later.

Embrace The Bridge: United Airlines NYC Half 2019 Recap

Packet Pickup:
I went to pick up my bib/shirt at the United Airlines NYC Half Experience on Friday morning. I took a 9:45 barre3 class (ended at 10:45) and then walked the half mile to the experience and got there shortly after it opened for the day. Getting my bib was a little chaotic because I hadn't pulled up my confirmation form in advance and the lines were not well organized, but it was fine. I decided not to stop for a selfie with my bib, and instead went straight to t-shirt pickup. They had shirts available to try on in case you were unsure about size, but I figured it would be the same size as every other New Balance NYRR shirt that I have, so I skipped that and got my usual size.

After getting your shirt, you get dumped into the New Balance area. I looked around, but didn't find anything I wanted to buy right then. I wanted to try on the Zante Pursuit, but they looked busy, so I skipped it. I may try them on when I go to get my medal engraved (which I'll do either today or tomorrow). I left the New Balance area and didn't really feel like doing much else. I found my name on the name wall and tried to get myself excited about some of the photo-ops, but I just wasn't feeling it, so I didn't stick around for long. Oh, and I looked at goodrs in the JackRabbit area, but they didn't have the ones I wanted, and the other ones definitely didn't look nice enough for what I want.

I was also hoping to grab some Sport Beans, since I was out and wanted to save myself the trip to the running store, but they only had Honey Stinger stuff there (Honey Stinger is now the official nutrition of NYRR races ... which makes little difference to me because they're swapping out one non-kosher gel for another non-kosher gel), so I went over to Paragon Sports (a sporting goods store a few blocks away), which actually seems to have a really good selection of running stuff and may be a good backup running store for me if I can't find what I want at JackRabbit. Plus, I got 20% off with my race bib, which was cool.

Race Morning:
Getting There:
I got up around 5:45am and was ready to leave by 6:30, which means I probably could have slept in a drop, but oh well. Getting to the race was pretty easy, and if I ever got lost, I just followed the rest of the runners. Because the Q train was packed like crazy and it was almost all runners. We're fun. Got there around 7:30-40ish, which was a good time to show up because I didn't have to rush at all, but I also didn't spend too much time standing around doing nothing.

Start Village/Corrals:
Once I got to Prospect Park, the walking began. There was a long walk to security (I passed bag check on the way, but since I didn't check a bag, it wasn't relevant), where I had to take everything out of my pockets and take off my watch (they specified that) before going through a metal detector. After that, it was more walking. They gave out heat sheets to keep people warm, which was nice (I knew this was happening, so I didn't bring my own - otherwise I would have been walking around with a runDisney heat sheet on). And then there was more walking to get to the start village, where they had portapotties and water. And people standing around on muddy grass. Finally, as they were finishing up getting Wave 3 started, I walked all the way back to corral D.

Just to explain the setup: There were 5 waves. I have no idea how wave 1 worked because I was on the subway when they started and they had many corrals. Waves 2-5 each had 4 corrals, A-D. There were 4 corral areas set up, and for each wave, they'd open up the corrals, load that wave, then close the corrals before starting that wave, and after the wave was finished crossing the start area, they'd start loading the next wave into the corrals.
So basically ... if you got there before they were ready to load your wave, you just had to stand around on the side. Which meant that to load into my corral with wave 4, I had to weave through wave 5 people who were waiting around for their wave to load.
I thought it was a complete mess and I can't believe that an organization that runs a marathon with 50K+ people can have such a poorly organized start area.

Anyway ... I ditched my heat sheet on the way to the corrals, and then took off my throwaway sweatshirt a few minutes before we were supposed to start and dumped it in a bin for donation to Goodwill. Then the long walk to the start began ... and eventually I reached the start line and started the race.

The Race:
The First 5K
The plan for the first few miles was to start off slow-ish, slow down even more on the hills, and eventually gradually speed up on the downhill. Well, this is where the changes to the course kinda hit me. Last year, we started in Prospect Park but made our way out of the park and onto the streets right away. This year we started in the park, stayed in the park for the first mile, and when we finally did hit Flatbush Ave, it was the part that goes through the park, so we really didn't hit the "interesting" streets until halfway into mile 3. I got bored and decided I didn't want to try to push myself to the faster pace, at least not at first. I decided to stay at a "medium-ish" effort (planning the pace to be around 10:45-11:15ish) and re-evaluate when we hit Manhattan.
Official Split: 34:05

5K to 10K

This was the big one - the split that would make or break my goal. We started off running down Flatbush Avenue, and it was cool to see what I remembered from last year and what I didn't. There were also some spectators out, which was really nice. Things were going okay until I hit the ramp up to the Manhattan Bridge ... I forgot how bad that uphill is. Since I didn't have a time goal (and if I did, I would have been ahead of it - I was maintaining an 11:05-11:10ish pace that this point and knew I could make up time in Manhattan if I wanted to), I just walked for a while. I took the bridge easy and took some pictures and just enjoyed the experience - so I ended up smashing my primary goal for the race. Yay!
33536290928_e116061488_c.jpg

33536290668_dd0b1c1e03_c.jpg

33536290228_dd481262f7_c.jpg

Official Split: 1:10:06 (36:01)

10K to 15K

The 10K mark hit just as we were getting onto the FDR, which was one of my favorite parts of the course last year. After the crapfest that was highways during the WDW marathon, I was afraid I would hate the FDR this year, but I didn't. Surprisingly, looking at Brooklyn/Queens is much more interesting than looking at trees on the side of the road in Florida. Plus, there were spectators. Plus, I may or may not have seen my sister's former boss (I'm still not sure if it was her). I decided to stick with the medium-ish effort and kept my pace around 11-11:10ish (I knew that if I kept that pace I would be good for a PR, and I was trying to save myself to push at the end). Nothing too exciting, but nice, calm, and enjoyable.

46496848645_9346c27026_c.jpg

Official Split: 1:45:14 (35:08)

15K to 20K

Last year my second least favorite part of the course was 42nd Street. It was all hills and didn't feel that exciting. This year it was a little better, but I was still mostly counting down the miles until I hit Times Square (literally the only time you will ever hear me say that). Once we hit Times Square, I decided to push the intensity up a bit and started to speed up a bit. I'm glad I tried it, but it didn't work so well ... I kinda fizzled out and wasn't feeling great once I hit the park.
Oh, and according to Garmin I ran like an 8:37 mile or something. Garmin does not like 42nd St at all.
Official Split: 2:20:31 (35:17)

The Home Stretch

I wasn't feeling great at the 20K mark, but I knew I only had 1.1K to go, so I kept going. I wanted to push myself, but didn't feel like I could. Honestly, I probably could have pushed and come in a little faster than last year's time, but I'm okay with how this went. I knew I wasn't pushing myself to 100% and I still came within 30 seconds of beating last year's time (when I was pushing myself most of the time) - how crazy is that? The last year has not felt like my training was super successful, but the difference in how I felt during this year's race and last year's race really shows how much of an impact training has had. Wow. This may not have been a PR, but it definitely proves how much I've improved over the last year. Last year I had to push to get below 2:30. This year I did it at mostly a medium effort. I'm incredibly proud of myself.

Official Finish Time: 2:28:11

Post-Race:
Shortly after I got my medal, my friend texted me that she and another friend from our Facebook running group were in the finish area and looking for me. I found them and hung out with them (and a few other friends of theirs) for a little bit, but then had to head home to shower and meet up with my sister.
I spent the afternoon with my sister watching a high school basketball tournament (someone from her community had friends in the tournament, so she came up with them and we hung out and watched the games). Not exactly how I envisioned celebrating the race, but I don't see my sister nearly often enough, so I'm glad I got to spend the afternoon with her.

Goal Check-In:
Goal #1: Conquer and/or enjoy the Manhattan Bridge - Goal smashed! Had a great time on the bridge, even though I had to walk more than expected. It just gave me a chance to reset and enjoy the sights. Attitude really does make a big difference.
Goals #2-#4: Time Goals - Not so much.

What's Next:
Broad Street Run in Philly on May 5th. It's a 10-mile race and supposed to be decently flat. Goal is a new 10 mile PR - 1:56:26 or faster. Considering the fact that my last 10-mile race was a hot mess, this shouldn't be too tough.
Plan has not been started yet. I have access to something called RunCoach with my registration, but after yesterday's race it made my easy pace 11:30, and I think that's a drop too fast for me for easy. I haven't been a huge fan of it so far. So I'm not particularly going to use it.
(watch Coach now make one of my easy paces 11:30 ... it's a good thing I don't actually pay attention to easy paces and just do those runs by feel)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter