Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Broad Street Run: Early Update

With less than two weeks to race day, I figured it was about time I started thinking about some race plans. This is going to be my first non-Disney outside-NYC race, so ... I'm a little nervous, especially about the logistics. But here are the plans I have so far.

Getting There:
Getting to Philly: I’m planning to take the subway to Penn Station, then NJ Transit to Trenton, then SEPTA to Philly. This is my usual way of getting down there, and I find it to be much simpler than it sounds. Amtrak is a little faster, but it’s also a little bit of a hassle sometimes, and it’s not worth the extra money for me.
The only question is whether I go down on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. If there’s a place I can store my suitcase at the expo, Friday may be easier, especially because then I’m not interfering with Beth’s studying. If not, it’s probably easier to go down Thursday so that I don’t have to go out to Beth to drop my stuff and then back to Center City all in one day.

Getting to the Expo: If I’m coming straight from NY, I just take SEPTA from Trenton and get off at Jefferson Station, which is right by the expo. If I’m coming from Beth, same thing, except I take the Regional Rail from near Beth (she’s right near the station, super easy trip) to Jefferson Station.

Lodgings: Beth!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I just saw her last week, but I’m still excited to go stay by her. I’ll be there for the whole weekend, so I may have to help her study for finals. We’ll see how it goes.

Race Day: SEPTA Broad Street Line is free if you’re wearing your race bib. But I’d have to take the Regional Rail to Fern Rock and then switch for the Broad Street Line so … probably not happening.
If Google Maps is correct, there’s a bus a few blocks from Beth that should take me pretty close to the start (it’s the same bus she takes to school, but in the opposite direction).
I’m gonna steal (/borrow) Beth’s SEPTA key, which hopefully will make the whole bus-taking situation easier. Assuming I figure out how to use the SEPTA key. I think it may be a tapping thing? I don’t know. Last time I took the bus, we used tokens. I assume if it’s really hard to use, Beth will explain it to me.

Outfit:

46774666915_b500503921_c.jpg

I think it’s probably going to be warmish, which means short sleeves, and since 90% of my short sleeve shirts are race shirts … Marathon outfit is making another appearance!
Although I may wear my other black capris. Depends on what’s clean.

Race Plan:
No flipping clue. Will probably plan to be at or close to 10 mile pace (10:11 min/mi), maybe a little slower. Hoping to come in below 1:55. Would be cool if I came in below 1:45, which was the original goal for Bronx 10 Mile before the *beep* hit the fan. I'll know more about this after my discussion with Coach next week.
Of course, this is all assuming my knee behaves…

Also not sure what playlist I'll be using. My longer runs have been with my regular phone playlist, but I may want to pull out a Spotify playlist, because some of those are more fun (I'm very into my "Randoms" playlist at the moment). We'll see.

Post-Race:
I really can’t find any info about what happens at the post-race here. Maybe there might be alcohol? Food I can’t eat? Food I can eat? Coffee?????? (There was a tweet about something Dunkin’)
Bloggers do not describe this area well. I hope to fix that.
I have been told that there's lots of grass available to sit and eat/take pictures. But I've also been told that it's crowded.

But anyway … post-race I’ll do whatever I do post-race, and then I’ll head back to Beth’s. Beth has either a final or clinic on Monday morning, I don’t remember which one, so I’ll probably head back to NYC at some point on Sunday.

The transportation getting to Philly sounds complex, but I'm sure that's just my inexperience with public transportation talking. It's pretty exciting that you get to spend some time with Beth and see her for a little while; that can only help with mood and attitude for race day.

Hopefully this will be a redemption from the Bronx 10 Mile race, and you'll be able to hit your goal time.

Strange that there's not a lot of information about what post-race is like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for coffee afterwards.

I was so behind on your journal- so I'll just jump back in. Sounds like a solid start to your race plan. Can never go wrong with a Minnie inspired outfit.... she is a fashion icon after all! ;)

I get planning out the logistics getting to the race before. I also like to know what the options before race day. Makes it less stressful.

The transportation getting to Philly sounds complex, but I'm sure that's just my inexperience with public transportation talking. It's pretty exciting that you get to spend some time with Beth and see her for a little while; that can only help with mood and attitude for race day.

It's a little complicated, but I've done it enough times at this point that it's easy for me. Definitely a little complex at first, even for people with lots of public transportation experience.
I'm very excited to spend some time with Beth before the race!

Hopefully this will be a redemption from the Bronx 10 Mile race, and you'll be able to hit your goal time.

Yes! I hope so! I'm cautiously optimistic for this race.

Strange that there's not a lot of information about what post-race is like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for coffee afterwards.

I'm hoping that your runDisney experience is the new norm and someone has a bottled cappuccino waiting for me when I cross the finish line :)

I was so behind on your journal- so I'll just jump back in. Sounds like a solid start to your race plan. Can never go wrong with a Minnie inspired outfit.... she is a fashion icon after all! ;)

Thanks! Minnie is the ultimate style inspiration ... I'm glad I can follow in her polka dot footsteps!

I get planning out the logistics getting to the race before. I also like to know what the options before race day. Makes it less stressful.

Yes! Race day can be so stressful sometimes, so anything I can do to alleviate that stress is really a good thing!

---

Guys ... knee is still a little wonky. Although today it was just during the run, not after like last week. We'll see how I feel over the next few days.

Week in Review: April 22nd - April 28th

Monday:
Run - 4.79 miles, 56:14 minutes, 11:44 min/mi avg pace.
Tempo: 2 mi HM Tempo (10:20) + 1 mi Daniels T (9:56) + 0.5 mi 10K Tempo (9:52) - Knee started to hurt partway into the HM Tempo miles, and it was a struggle (ended up with 1.85 miles in 20:45, for an average pace of 11:13 min/mi). Stopped before the Daniels T mile to stretch it out and that did not help at all, so I decided to just do easy the rest of the way. I would have just cut it short if I was closer to home, but I had to go the distance to get home anyway.
Not sure what this knee pain was all about, but with less than 2 weeks to race day, I don’t want to risk anything. So slowing down and rest is what's on tap.
Eating - I was in the car all day, so … not great.

Tuesday:
Was scheduled to run 4 miles, but skipped because of my knee.
Eating - Bleh.

Wednesday:
Rest Day! Knee was feeling better, but still not 100%, so I took it easy.
Eating - Yuck.

Thursday:
Run - 3.03 miles, 38:01 minutes, 12:32 min/mi avg pace. Wanted to take this one slow and easy because of my knee. This was a pain-free run, which was good.
Eating - Could have been better, could have been worse

Friday:
Rest Day!
Eating - see Thursday

Saturday:
Rest Day!
Eating - Three thumbs down. And I only have two thumbs.

Sunday:
Run - 3.86 miles, 42:49 minutes, 11:33 min/mu avg pace (goal pace was 12:05 … so there’s that). Started off okay, but again my knee started to hurt in the middle. Honestly, I could live without all the knee pain. But also honestly, I think it’s related to where I’m running, so I want to see how the rest of the week goes, since I’ll be back in the apartment.
Eating - Mostly grazing, which is never good. No idea what's for dinner, since I have no food in the apartment.

Upcoming
Monday - barre3
Tuesday - 3 mi Easy Pace
Wednesday - barre3
Thursday - 2 mi Easy Pace
Friday - Rest/Expo
Saturday - Rest Day
Sunday - RACE DAY!!

Things I need to figure out before race day:
1 - Schedule - when am I going down to Philly? Seriously, I should probably decide and then tell Beth when to expect me.
2 - Water bottle - for all of my halfs, I’ve used my 32oz handheld water bottle (that’s also what I used for Bronx 10M). For the marathon I used my 8oz belt water bottle (mostly because I left the 32oz in NY), and I’m kinda thinking about doing that again. Hmm.

Finally, some finish line info:
upload_2019-4-29_12-1-1.png

So ... it looks like I have to take a shuttle to get to the after party, but I get a free 26.2 beer or Truly Hard Seltzer.

Also ... I contacted the race, and there's nowhere for me to store my suitcase at the expo, so it looks like I'm going down to Philly Thursday night.
And it's supposed to rain on Sunday. Which may mean a wardrobe change.

Finally, some finish line info:
View attachment 397712

So ... it looks like I have to take a shuttle to get to the after party, but I get a free 26.2 beer or Truly Hard Seltzer.

If it's anything like last year, Dunkin donuts should have free iced coffee samples and gift cards near the finish line. Grab those before heading for the bus to FDR park.

Also, if you wander near the Central High bleachers before the start :wave2:.

If it's anything like last year, Dunkin donuts should have free iced coffee samples and gift cards near the finish line. Grab those before heading for the bus to FDR park.

This is good information. Thank you. I will definitely make sure I grab some Dunkin before I head over to FDR park for the beer.

Also, if you wander near the Central High bleachers before the start :wave2:.

Um ... what? Are you going to be there???? If I see you, I will either wave or scream excitedly, depending on how asleep I am (I'm guessing probably wave, but anything is possible). (If I'm reading my start area map correctly, I probably won't be near there since I'm coming from Olney Transportation Center and going to one of the back corrals, but I will also probably be there early because bus schedules, so I might wander.)

Um ... what? Are you going to be there???? If I see you, I will either wave or scream excitedly, depending on how asleep I am (I'm guessing probably wave, but anything is possible). (If I'm reading my start area map correctly, I probably won't be near there since I'm coming from Olney Transportation Center and going to one of the back corrals, but I will also probably be there early because bus schedules, so I might wander.)

Yeah, too early for screaming (but not Disney early), I'll be sure to say hi if I spot you! The central high field has the two pre-race essentials, aka lots of port-o-potties and seating, they also have led warm-ups, but its difficult to navigate out of once they close it a half hour before the start. (Too many people)

If I don't see you, hope you have fun Sunday!

I'm glad they shared info, finally! I impulse signed up for an 8k on Sunday, which is a distance I've never run before - that means an automatic PR, right?

Yeah, too early for screaming (but not Disney early), I'll be sure to say hi if I spot you! The central high field has the two pre-race essentials, aka lots of port-o-potties and seating, they also have led warm-ups, but its difficult to navigate out of once they close it a half hour before the start. (Too many people)

Thanks for the info ... if I make it over there, I'll make sure to try to get out before the rest of the masses.

If I don't see you, hope you have fun Sunday!

Thanks! You too!

I'm glad they shared info, finally! I impulse signed up for an 8k on Sunday, which is a distance I've never run before - that means an automatic PR, right?

Yay automatic PR! I love races that are an automatic PR. That's probably why I keep running non-standard distance races.

HELP! Emergency costume ideas needed in case of rain. Feel free to scroll back through this thread to see what clothing I own. If not, you can just suggest something you think I own (although honestly, I probably don't). I'm not wearing something new for a race in the rain (that's like double Nothing New on Race Day), so I'm a little possibly screwed. Because most of my short sleeve shirts are race shirts.

Possible inspiration idea: Belated May the Fourth. Except I don't have any Star Wars stuff, so it would just be an all-black Darth Vader.

(also ... final pre-race update coming at some point)

Do not panic!
The above proposed photo has a hat with a brim. This is key and you already planned for it! And unless you want to run in a rain jacket or poncho, you are just going to be wet.
The most important addition to your costume will probably be extra body glide, which does not interfere with the Minnie theme at all- you can even use the one in the pink container :)
It may not be the race you thought it would be, but it is still a great opportunity to go visit your sister and branch out running a new place. Odds are you will like it better than central park hills, even in the rain.

I agree - just wear a hat! I do have a good windbreaker from New Balance that is super lightweight, if you want to add a jacket, but I don't think it's necessary.

(I'm running Sunday, too, and I just am accepting I'll be soaked)

Do not panic!
The above proposed photo has a hat with a brim. This is key and you already planned for it! And unless you want to run in a rain jacket or poncho, you are just going to be wet.
The most important addition to your costume will probably be extra body glide, which does not interfere with the Minnie theme at all- you can even use the one in the pink container :)
It may not be the race you thought it would be, but it is still a great opportunity to go visit your sister and branch out running a new place. Odds are you will like it better than central park hills, even in the rain.

I agree - just wear a hat! I do have a good windbreaker from New Balance that is super lightweight, if you want to add a jacket, but I don't think it's necessary.

(I'm running Sunday, too, and I just am accepting I'll be soaked)

Thanks for the suggestion!! I actually already threw that hat in my bag just in case, too. (I was thinking about picking up a cheap hat to wear just in the corrals (and then toss) later today since I have to hit up the running store for sport beans, but wearing a hat for the whole race makes more sense, in which case I can wear the hat I already have ... but I will pick up body glide because mine is still at the house).
I was more worried about the fact that the Raw Threads shirt is part cotton, but rain wet is probably not that different than sweat wet, there's just more of it.

Also ... final pre-race update (coming soon) has some alternative ideas, but I'm bringing the minnie costume just in case, so I may just wear that.

Broad Street Run: Final Race Plans

Getting There:
To Philly:
When we left off, I was unsure when I was going to head down to Philly. I emailed the race and there’s nowhere for me to store my suitcase at the expo, which means I have to go to Beth before I go to the expo (because I’m not schlepping my suitcase around the expo), so I’m heading down today (Thursday). Will probably leave my apartment between 4 and 4:30, depending on what train I want to catch. Should get to Beth around 8ish.

To The Expo:
Expo opens at 11 on Friday. I can take a 10:30ish train from Beth that gets me into Center City at 10:55 or an 11sh train that gets me in at 11:25. If I remember correctly, the convention center is right next to the train. Or across the street. Or like 6 blocks away? I don’t remember. I think we passed it at some point in December when we sampled the all exciting Xmas activities that Philly has to offer. I’m sure I’ll find it. Just follow the other people wearing retired running shoes.
The other option is … take the 10ish train that gets me in at 10:25ish. Walk to barre3 Philadelphia | Rittenhouse Square. Take the 11am barre3 class. Shower (what??? My barre3 place doesn’t have showers!!). Walk 10 minute to the expo. Would then probably get to the expo around 12:30-12:45ish.

To The Race:
I checked the SEPTA website, and it looks like the bus that runs from near Beth to near the race should be running normally. If schedules are to be believed, I’m planning to take a bus that arrives at the bus station at 7:12AM. Bag check closes at either 7:30 or 7:45 (different places say different things), so that’ll be my first stop.

Outfit:
Sigh. So … rain in the forecast. Grr. The skirt and capris should be fine in the rain, but it’s been a while since I ran in Raw Threads in the rain, and I don’t remember how comfortable it is. I’m thinking maybe not as comfortable as it is in not-rain. So … alternative outfit options.

Thought #1: Modified Minnie - with a plain black shirt instead of my Raw Threads shirt, and a yellow headband (actually, I could do the headband either way). I’ve worn the black shirt under something else for a few halfs and on its on for a 5K, so I know it’s not uncomfortable, but it’s also not the nicest looking shirt.

Thought #2: A New Yorker Does Philly - NYC skirt, gray shirt. I’ve worn this outfit for a 5K (which was also wet, but from me pouring water over my head, not the weather), the skirt for several halfs, and the shirt for Bronx 10M, so even though I haven’t worn the full outfit together for anything of this distance, I think it’ll be fine.

Thought #3: Which 10 Miler Is This Anyway? - an homage to another 10 mile race, Cherry Blossom - black skirt, InB Kaze shirt. The shirt is ok and should hold up decently in the rain, but the longest I’ve worn it for before is a 7-miler (and that was not in the rain), so I don’t know if it’ll be comfy for the full 10 miles.

All of these can be worn with my NYRR volunteer hat

I probably have to pack before most of you will read this, so I’ll have to make the decision myself (or bug Beth, but she’s floater in clinic today, so I don’t know if that makes her too busy to text or not).

Race Plan:
Had a chat with coach about this. 10 mile pace is 10:11 min/mi, and with the weather in the high 50’s/low 60’s (depending on when I check the weather) and dew point in the mid 50’s, that’s a T+D adjustment to 10:17 min/mi.
My plan is to start at a pace around 10:20-10:30, and if I’m feeling good after a few miles, speed it up to 10:17ish. The entrance to the Philadelphia Navy Yard is 0.25 miles from the end of the race, so I’m trying to decide if I want to really kick it up a notch for that last 0.25 miles. We’ll see how I feel.

Time isn’t a huge factor here, so I’m more than happy to slow it down if that’s what I’m feeling on race day and/or if my knee acts up.
I’m also planning to slow to a walk (/occasionally safely stop?) to take pictures. This course goes through a lot of areas where I’ve never been before and I think/hope there will be a lot to see, so I’m excited to see how often the picture-taking urge strikes.

Race Goals:
#1 Goal: Enjoy the experience. It’s my first (and likely only) time running this race, and I want to soak it all in and have a good time.
#2 Goal: Not regret my post-race beverage choice.

Time Goal: Sub-1:55. That means an 11:30 min/mi avg pace, which is very manageable. So I think I should be good to hit this one.
Secondary Time Goal: Sub-1:45. That was the big goal for the race we don’t talk about. I’m not expecting to hit this goal, but if I manage to surprise myself and hit it, that would be cool.

Post-Race:
Now that I have a little bit of a sense of the post-race situation, I have a plan:
  1. Get my food (probably something I can’t eat) in the food tent … someone remind me to grab a plastic shopping bag from Beth and put it in my pocket in case I need it (a la runDisney)
  2. Get my medal (yeah, not in favor of that order)
  3. Find the Dunkin’ area and get coffee (and a gift card)
  4. Take a few random medal pictures
  5. Get my bag check bag
  6. Get on the shuttle to FDR park
  7. Get my free alcoholic beverage. Options are 26.2 Brew or Truly Hard Seltzer. I polled my FB running group, and so far the consensus seems to be 26.2 Brew, with two people who had tried both recommending the hard seltzer. Any thoughts here?
  8. Take an alcohol/medal picture
  9. Maybe take more pictures in the festival area
  10. Maybe see if I can get near the Phillies parking lot to take picture of medal with Citizen Bank Park
  11. Feel crappy about not going to the Phillies game (Beth has finals and my dad can’t come down for it)
  12. Figure out how to get back to Beth (Broad Street Line to Warminster Line? Uber?)

Tracking:
Apparently runner tracking is available for the race: http://results.xacte.com/track?id=2252
Bib number is 34966
I’m guessing I was reaaalllly close to being in the last corral…

Back to NYC:
Beth has a final or clinic or something on Monday, so I’ll head back at some point Sunday night. Not sure when yet. It’ll depend on how long I take at the race and after party and if Beth wants my attention for anything.

(1) raw threads is fine in a constant rain. If it is light mist or off and on, something that dries quicker may be beneficial. If it is pouring, RT is not significantly better or worse in my experience.
(2) I chose the 26.2 brew because I could get the other beverages which were available to me elsewhere. It was not a beer I would ever pick in a different situation (I tend to prefer more flavor and less hops) but it was a refreshing post-race drink and I would recommend this.

(1) raw threads is fine in a constant rain. If it is light mist or off and on, something that dries quicker may be beneficial. If it is pouring, RT is not significantly better or worse in my experience.

Good to know. I may still bring a backup outfit just in case, but it sounds like my origin outfit plan should be fine.

(2) I chose the 26.2 brew because I could get the other beverages which were available to me elsewhere. It was not a beer I would ever pick in a different situation (I tend to prefer more flavor and less hops) but it was a refreshing post-race drink and I would recommend this.

Thanks for the recommendation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter