5-day Hopper Trip Report from May 6-11

mom2ian

Mouseketeer
Here's a quick trip report from last week. I visited with my sister to celebrate her grad school commencement.

Coming from out-of-state, I typically visit Disneyland maybe once every 3-5 years. We stay at a good neighbor hotel on Harbor (Fairfield Inn this time).

We used a 5-day park hopper ticket on this trip. As much as I love visiting, I really need to think about my next visit and if the cost is worth the crushing crowds.
  • We had 2 outstanding cast members at different attractions pull us out of the standby line and walk us into the Fast Pass line.
    One CM recognized my sister's graduation pin. The other CM recognized that we kept getting hit by some teenagers playing some sort of slap tickle game. We asked the kids to stop, but the hits continued so we decided to leave the queue when the CM helped us out. Awesome!
  • We did the Fantasmic dining package and ate dinner at the Blue Bayou (my first time ever eating at that restaurant). Although it was expensive, we really enjoyed it and had a great location for Fantasmic. I had the chicken and my sis had the rib eye, and we both really liked the food. Loved the seat cushions!

• Having 5 days in the parks meant that we could experience things that we usually skip like taking a ride on the horse drawn carriages down Main Street or watching various music groups perform. We saw turtles and crawfish swimming around in the water in the Rivers of America nearest Big Thunder. While we were watching, one of the Country Bears came up behind us and surprised us! A really fun and unique experience. Enjoyed seeing the many little details throughout the parks.

• The parks were beautiful with so many flowers in bloom.
  • We saw some fun character interactions. On Main Street, Chip and Dale were dancing with some children, just delightful. We also saw Minnie and Pluto interacting together. In Tommorrowland, the Storm Troopers were hilarious and getting people excited for Star Wars land. At DCA, we saw Edna pushing a toddler around in her stroller.
  • Did Animation Academy twice. I just love this attraction as a great way to rest tired feet but still feel the Disney magic.
  • Caught a few teasing glimpses from Star Wars land from various vantage points including the Columbia, Tarzan's Treehouse, and the Big Thunder ride. It looks amazing!
  • The very top scrim came down off the castle so we got to see the shiny new turret and pretty colors!
  • I find it disappointing that multi-day park hopper ticket holders do not get a merch discount like APs. We spend many $$ between hotels, flights, merch, and food during, so why not offer a similar 10% discount?
Miscellaneous
  • While in line at the Matterhorn, a local mentioned that this ride will be re-themed as a Frozen ride?
  • Would love several security lines for guests without strollers. Some people had several days worth of provisions on the strollers and it takes a while for security to check it all out. There is a line for those without bags so it seems like a line for those without strollers would be good to have as well.
View attachment 400786 horse.JPG starwarsland.JPG fantasmic.JPG ned.JPG flowers.JPG matterhorn.JPG stormtrooper.JPGcars.JPG turtles.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry that you had trouble with MP and mobile order. Did you try using data to connect rather than the park's wifi? I also found that the wifi was spotty, at best. I ended up just turning the wifi off on my phone and using my regular data to book FPs through MP and to place mobile orders. That worked much better. I'm glad you enjoyed Blue Bayou and Fantasmic.

Sorry that you had trouble with MP and mobile order. Did you try using data to connect rather than the park's wifi? I also found that the wifi was spotty, at best. I ended up just turning the wifi off on my phone and using my regular data to book FPs through MP and to place mobile orders. That worked much better. I'm glad you enjoyed Blue Bayou and Fantasmic.

Yes, that is a good point. We did have plenty of data and tried using that with the same results. We even had CMs try it out but no luck. I rebooted my phone several times and made sure I had the latest software but it didn't seem to like us on this trip. Good thing we could still get the traditional fast passes!

I find it disappointing that multi-day park hopper ticket holders do not get a merch discount like APs. We typically spend more on merch during our visits than AP holders, so why not offer a similar 10% discount?
As an AP holder, I'm curious to know if this is true or not. I wish Disney would release this info, or give more insight, but I doubt they will. I see many people say that tourists spend more...but I also know many AP holders who should deposit their paychecks to Disney because they spend so much there lol. Personally, I don't spend a lot of money (or any money) on things like dining packages for shows or hotels. But I go overboard with merchandise and food!

We also spend more than a fair share on food and merchandise -- and hotels and tickets, too, when relatives visit. Most of our AP friends spend about the same or more (if they are collectors, much more). This idea that APs don't spend money at DLR isn't something I've seen among our group!

As an AP holder, I'm curious to know if this is true or not. I wish Disney would release this info, or give more insight, but I doubt they will. I see many people say that tourists spend more...but I also know many AP holders who should deposit their paychecks to Disney because they spend so much there lol. Personally, I don't spend a lot of money (or any money) on things like dining packages for shows or hotels. But I go overboard with merchandise and food!
Ah, I shouldn't have made that assumption. Between flights, hotels, merch, and food, a 5 day trip to Disneyland is in the thousands so it would be so awesome if hopper ticket holders could get a merch discount too. I will edit my original comment and apologies.

We also spend more than a fair share on food and merchandise -- and hotels and tickets, too, when relatives visit. Most of our AP friends spend about the same or more (if they are collectors, much more). This idea that APs don't spend money at DLR isn't something I've seen among our group!
I'm sorry for the assumption. After spending thousands on flights, hotels, merch and food for a 5 day trip to Disneyland, I just thought it would be nice to extend the 10% discount to park hopper ticket holders as well.

Ah, I shouldn't have made that assumption. Between flights, hotels, merch, and food, a 5 day trip to Disneyland is in the thousands so it would be so awesome if hopper ticket holders could get a merch discount too. I will edit my original comment and apologies.
You don’t have to change it. But that assumption is made by many people, so I do wonder myself what are the spending habits of AP holders vs tourists. Maybe I’m an anomaly and spend too much lol

I'm sorry for the assumption. After spending thousands on flights, hotels, merch and food for a 5 day trip to Disneyland, I just thought it would be nice to extend the 10% discount to park hopper ticket holders as well.
The one discount I can think of that is open to non-APs is the Disney Visa Card discount. If you have one, you can get 10% off purchases of $50+ at most (all? -- I assume there are always exceptions) shops. And anyone who's visited DLR knows that it isn't too hard to find at least $50 worth of merchandise at any shop! (And this discount works at the Disney Store, too, which the AP discount doesn't.) There are occasional discounts for the on site hotels. The reward points can be used for the hotels and for tickets. And I think there may be discounts on tours, too. We know people who manage to squeeze quite a few benefits out of their Disney Visa Cards -- then use the reward points on their next Disney trip.

Last edited:
The one discount I can think of that is open to non-APs is the Disney Visa Card discount. If you have one, you can get 10% off purchases of $50+ at most (all? -- I assume there are always exceptions) shops. And anyone who's visited DLR knows that it isn't too hard to find at least $50 worth of merchandise at any shop! (And this discount works at the Disney Store, too, which the AP discount doesn't.) There are occasional discounts for the on site hotels. The reward points can be used for the hotels and for tickets. And I think there may be discounts on tours, too. We know people who manage to squeeze quite a few benefits out of their Disney Visa Cards -- then use the reward points on their next Disney trip.
Great tip! I'll look into that card for the next trip in a few years. Thanks!

Great tip! I'll look into that card for the next trip in a few years. Thanks!
I just remembered that D23 has discounts, too -- but I think the Disney Visa Card discounts are more consistent and D23 doesn't offer reward points. Those reward points are the clincher!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts