50th in 2021

abnihon

DIS Veteran
Planning way ahead but are there any rumors or speculations about special events that might happen in 2021?
Do we think the celebration will be year-long or mostly in October?
My 40th birthday is June 2021 and was thinking of going then but wondering if better to go in October!

Thanks!
Though DL opened in July and MK in Oct so I guess tbd if they’ll do it all summer there also.
What did they do for DW’s 40th?

They gave out a throwback MK park map on October 1 and maybe some buttons. That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
The 40th wasn’t a huge celebration. WDW doesn’t tend to celebrate as much as DL does. Disney has put emphasis on the 50th already though.

How far ahead do you think they’ll release dates and details?

I thought the year of a million dreams was all tied into the 40th?
We’re planning to go August 2021 and hoping most of the new attractions will be open by then.

I thought the year of a million dreams was all tied into the 40th?
We’re planning to go August 2021 and hoping most of the new attractions will be open by then.
No year of a million dreams started in 2006. WDW 40th was 2011.

One thing is for sure: it's going to be a huge event. They literally are building new e-ticket style attractions to be "open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021".

I think most of us know what those attractions are but for the newcomers:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...to-feature-storytelling-coaster-ride-vehicle/
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...tron-attraction-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park/

Edit: Not to mention the other new attractions/restaurants that are opening up before 2021. Disney is certainly dumping money in to their parks and I am sure the 50th has something to do with that, even outside of the ones we know are specifically targeted for the 50th. And then there's the potential parades/celebrations that we will have to wait to find out about.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Though DL opened in July and MK in Oct so I guess tbd if they’ll do it all summer there also.
What did they do for DW’s 40th?

You may be right. I could see it going either way. I'd guess the May-September window is tied to business decisions (crowds), though, more than being a stickler for the actual anniversary date.

I've been looking forward to the 50th for years now - I turn 30 in March of 2021, so I was hoping to celebrate during the 50th Celebration but I don't think they're going to line up. I assume we'll be getting a ton of updates at D23 this year, since the next D23 will be during the 50th celebration, but I know they've already said the plans for the 50th had to be scaled back to accommodate the huge expense of acquiring Fox.

You may be right. I could see it going either way. I'd guess the May-September window is tied to business decisions (crowds), though, more than being a stickler for the actual anniversary date.

Although, crowds have been shifting of late with summer not being nearly as crowded as before and the Fall often seeing some of the biggest crowds

I am sure they will want to capture at least one summer period and still think the May 2021 to Sept/Oct 2022 is most likely - I could see something like Sept 2021 - December 2022 (this way you get 2 holiday seasons involved)

Yeah they like to start major celebrations in the summer because of how travel to Disney destinations often work. Summer tends to be a good time for families to come because of school. Summer kick offs typically happen Memorial Day Weekend.

We typically go every 5 years, but we skipped our big trip in 2018 to wait for all the new stuff to open and decided on Sept/Oct 2021. We are planning on staying at the Contemporary and will be booking the room as soon as we can next April. I am watching this thread to see what news is released.

I expect to start hearing rumblings at D23 this year. I am hoping for a contest to stay in the Cinderella suite. (my dream) I know it’s been done before...but I have not seen it yet in person! Lol. A year of a million dreams contest was awesome. We were there that year and while we did not win anything, the atmosphere was wonderful.

We typically go every 5 years, but we skipped our big trip in 2018 to wait for all the new stuff to open and decided on Sept/Oct 2021. We are planning on staying at the Contemporary and will be booking the room as soon as we can next April. I am watching this thread to see what news is released.

I expect to start hearing rumblings at D23 this year. I am hoping for a contest to stay in the Cinderella suite. (my dream) I know it’s been done before...but I have not seen it yet in person! Lol. A year of a million dreams contest was awesome. We were there that year and while we did not win anything, the atmosphere was wonderful.

We we're we're for the Year of a Million Dreams and I remember we were set to ride Star Tours and the doors open and CMs came in and gave everyone in the vehicle a set of the special Million Dreams Mickey Ears - so I did get those

Wish they did more things like that - really can't cost them *that* much and obviously made a big impact

What's been eerily quiet is if there will, in fact, be new monorails in time for the 50th. I haven't seen any updates across the media platforms and I would think there needs to be a good amount of in-situ testing before certifying for safe transport. 2021 is not far even with the current baseline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter