5th Gate

Pennstate6411

Mouseketeer
First a few asides:

1. I'm relatively new to the boards so I apologize if this is beat to death or a no-no.
2. Just wanted to toss around thoughts and get some dialogue going

So Hollywood is going to be mostly revamped in 2 years, Epcot and MK seem to be set to add a ton by the 50th and Pandora updated AK. The assumption is most updates and new rides/expansions for the existing parks should be finished by 2021. My thought would be if Disney WAS going to add a 5th gate D23 in 2021 would be an excellent time to announce such a move... that's my prediction if there will be one anytime in the relative future.

Do most think it will never happen in our life times? Sooner? Later? Is there enough IP to open an entire new park? Will Disney wrangle complete control to the rights to MARVEL and open an entire MARVEL Universe gate? What are your thoughts what are your ideas?

I don’t think a 5th gate will happen for a very long time if ever. People just don’t have the vacation time to spend much more than a week at WDW. A 5th gate has been a rumor/wishful hope forever.

Honestly I think 4 is great and plenty for one resort. Not to mention you have all this other Park competition around you... you don't want to overwhelm people either.

So I don't see a 5th park in the future but I could easily see a new water park.

Honestly I think 4 is great and plenty for one resort. Not to mention you have all this other Park competition around you... you don't want to overwhelm people either.

So I don't see a 5th park in the future but I could easily see a new water park.
I don’t think a third water park would work. At that point you’re hurting the business of the two existing water parks. They should expand and revamp the existing water parks though.

Maybe someone can explain the advantages for Disney of opening a 5th gate to me. I see more daily management expenses, more transportation costs, more security cost, etc. People on this site say there is room for expansion in MK and AK. Epcot needs work in the front section and there maybe some minor expansion going on for Guardians of Galaxy. A 5th gate maybe but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Maybe someone can explain the advantages for Disney of opening a 5th gate to me. I see more daily management expenses, more transportation costs, more security cost, etc. People on this site say there is room for expansion in MK and AK. Epcot needs work in the front section and there maybe some minor expansion going on for Guardians of Galaxy. A 5th gate maybe but I don't see it happening any time soon.
Right now there aren’t many of any advantages. Epcot is getting the work it needs in the coming years tho.

Even though as a kid I wanted a fifth gate, looking at the logistics of running a resort I doubt it’ll happen. It wouldn’t surprise me if they go ahead and do it after an amazing idea worth doing but that’s the only thing I see lighting a fire to do it, or if universal actually gets permission to do an actual third gate in that newly acquired land that isn’t zoned for parks. Come to think of it, it’s as likely as that!

Even though as a kid I wanted a fifth gate, looking at the logistics of running a resort I doubt it’ll happen. It wouldn’t surprise me if they go ahead and do it after an amazing idea worth doing but that’s the only thing I see lighting a fire to do it, or if universal actually gets permission to do an actual third gate in that newly acquired land that isn’t zoned for parks. Come to think of it, it’s as likely as that!
Universal will get that third park eventually.

It took Disney a long time to commit to a 4th gate - and when it opened, AK was still an unfinished park.

They are in no hurry to start from ground-level to build a 5th gate but instead are happy with expanding what already has infrastructure in place to support growth.

We'll see more hotels, more DVC and maybe another water park (or a fake snow-ski park!) before we see a 5th gate.

Heck, we may see Disney build their own airport before we see a 5th gate.

If they wanted a 5th gate in Florida, they would've done it with just Star Wars.

If Disney could snatch up enough property in Anaheim and get the city on their side, a 3rd park at the Disneyland resort would be outstanding. The crowds at the existing two parks there are just out of control continually. However, I think a 5th at WDW would happen long before a 3rd at DL.

Updated and expanded water parks at WDW would be lovely though. Blizzard Beach could use some serious love.

They are in no hurry to start from ground-level to build a 5th gate but instead are happy with expanding what already has infrastructure in place to support growth.

Agree with the majority I don't think they'll have a 5th gate soon as they can close down parts of existing parks for years while still keeping the park open; even if there's less stuff to do (cough *DHS* cough). :crazy2:

I think if they were to open up a 5th gate it would be based upon what they're doing with the Star Wars themed hotel, i.e. live-action adventure for each person or group. They could have different themes such as pirates, haunted or scary, superhero, etc. This way they kill three birds with one stone; more things for people to do, more hotel space, and ease congestion.

Also, I think a third water park and mini golf would fit very nicely between Fort Wilderness Lodge and the campground. As for the mini golf, there could be several, each with its own theming. Of course, given its location, both should be based upon MK rides.

Just an observation (I have no insider knowledge) When you read the fine print on the Annual Pass Vouchers, it says that AP's and vouchers are only valid for entry into parks built in 1998 or prior... and the current expiration for unused vouchers is 2030... so certainly nothing before then. Maybe Disney has a super secret long range plan for a 5th gate or water park in the 2030's, but again I agree with whats already been said, it would take a long time to raise overall attendance and would hurt attendance at the other gates. The only way it would happen would be if the existing parks are so filled to capacity that it is hurting the overall experience of guests... Right now they are combating that by raising prices.

If anything Galaxy's Edge plus the themed resort will be a pseudo-gate, a self contained experience. Call it gate 4 3/4

It took Disney a long time to commit to a 4th gate - and when it opened, AK was still an unfinished park.

We'll see more hotels, more DVC and maybe another water park (or a fake snow-ski park!) before we see a 5th gate.

Heck, we may see Disney build their own airport before we see a 5th gate.

If they wanted a 5th gate in Florida, they would've done it with just Star Wars.
I felt the addition of Star Wars to DHS put an end to any idea of 5th gate.

I think as stated above, the decision has been made to just revamp and replace existing areas instead of a whole new 5th gate.

With all the additions planned for DHS(TSL, Mickey, SW:GE) and EPCOT (Rat in france, UK ride, Coco to mexico, New Pavillion(brazil), GoTG in Energy, update of Space and Innovations and spine revamp those two parks will have been updated greatlly.

Plus still adds to MK - Tron in TL, Stitch replacement, TL update, Tiki replacent, potential add in Frontier land

Net, looks like plan is to just update and replace in existing parks and not move to a 5th Gate.

Financially I don't think there will ever be enough reason short term for Disney to decide to build a 5th gate.

I agree that if you made it like the other 4 parks it would be too much for most people to fit into their vacation. But I think a 5th gate that was unlike all the others and geared towards adults could be beneficial.

But instead, they will continue to transform the other 4 parks to bring in that demographic instead because it's cheaper. But this will also cheapen the product and quality over time. Unfortunately, they don't care, and probably never will again. Why take that risk and hurt yourselves in the short run when you're not going to get the eventual payoff from it 20 years down the road?

On a mostly unrelated note, I really think Central Florida is really hurting for a true coaster park somewhere between Cedar Point and Disney/Universal levels of quality. Busch Gardens comes somewhat close to this, but it's still not a must do Mecca destination for coaster junkies, and it's not exactly close enough for many people to consider turning it into a Disney/Universal trip too. Maybe I overestimate that demographic, but the 15-30 crowd, especially males, don't have much interest in Disney or even Universal. At least not people I know.

Since this isn't a rumor or news but rather just discussion I will move it to the theme park community board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!