6 months trip to Disneyland, advice please!

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm going to WDW in September this year. Then in October, I want to go live in Anaheim for 6 months with DS18, DS13, and DS3, so that we can visit Disneyland whenever we want like a local. DH, who is not into Disney, will stay home and work at his job, but will come to visit us on occasion during the 6 months. Please post your thoughts about my plan. Do you see any problems? What should I watch out for? How best do I do this? Do you see a better way? Thanks in advance!

Here are the details of my plan:

Housing: We are going to get a 6 months lease at the "luxury" apartment complex called Avanti Apartments, 650 W Broadway, Anaheim, CA 92805, which is half an hour walk to Disneyland itself, but also has a bus that goes there. Cost: $2500 per month plus utilities. It is a 2 bedroom apartment, 850 square feet, has a swimming pool but no weight sets. DH, who is in the construction business, calls the apartment "cheaply built," but I see nothing wrong with it.

Furniture: will buy air mattresses, inflatable sofa, and other such disposable stuff and live camping style for the 6 months. Will ship over the kids' xbox, video games, Oculus, small TV, etc. There's a thrift store within walking distance. Will buy used household stuff such as plates and pots and small tables there, then give it back when we leave. Should be able to get by with $700. Much cheaper than renting furniture.

Kids' schools: Homeschool. I'm a math teacher.

Disneyland annual pass for 4: $800x4 plus taxes. Will go there maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Transportation: walk, buses, uber, taxi. The apartment area is ranked as "extremely walkable." Cost maybe $300 per month. I probably won't be renting a car.

Food: will buy groceries and cook like we normally do, so the cost is not counted as part of trip cost.

Round trip plane tickets: about $500x4=$2000.

Total costs:
Apartments: (2500+300)x6=$16,800.
Furniture: $700
Disneyland passes: $3500.
Transportation: $300x6=$1800
Plane Tickets: $2000
Other expenses (not counting food): $700

Total: $25,500 (not counting food or DH's plane fares for visiting, he can pay for that)

I have $30,000 that I can budget for this trip. I've been to Disneyland with the kids a couple of times before, a few days each, and always thought that it is better to live there and visit frequently rather than take a special trip. DH is not thrilled with my plan but is OK with it. This is a once in a lifetime thing -- won't do it again. We will be able to enjoy the warm Californian winter! Yay!

My main question is: how safe is Anaheim to walk or take the bus? What's the best way to get around there? Is it easy to travel to LA? Is there a subway? Is LA safe enough? Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Wow! I both love and hate your plan. Hate because I didn’t think of it. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl:

Check out the cost of Lyft between the park and temporary home. I’d rather do that than bus. And I would not walk, mainly because I don’t even like going over that freeway overpass on foot during the former rundisney events when it’s closed off, let alone during traffic.

Good news, looking at google maps, is that you’re right near the police station.

Oooh and there’s a library right there, too. Nice.

Wow! I both love and hate your plan. Hate because I didn’t think of it. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl:

Check out the cost of Lyft between the park and temporary home. I’d rather do that than bus. And I would not walk, mainly because I don’t even like going over that freeway overpass on foot during the former rundisney events when it’s closed off, let alone during traffic.

Good news, looking at google maps, is that you’re right near the police station.

Oooh and there’s a library right there, too. Nice.

Thanks! I was wondering how good it is to walk over that freeway, have never done it. We'll just take Lyft then and not try walking on the freeway. And it would be super nice to live right next to a library. I do a lot of reading.

So.... are you sure you want to do it this year? There is a chance that during your six months Star Wars still isn’t fully open. Rise of the Resistance is still just slated for “this year”. However, if it’s technical issues, it wouldn’t be surprising if it slips into winter/spring 2020. Are you ready for the possibility of an opening date of May 2020 when you’re last days are in April?

Also Marvel attractions should be opening “2020”, possibly “spring 2020”, but who knows if that’s a staged opening. Your kids would also be a little older, so you might feel a little more comfortable with a 19 & 14 year old returning home via Lyft or something from the park on their own if you need to head home early with the 4 year old... though 19 might be college age, unless doing online or distance ed stuff, which might just eat up too much time.

There’s always the “but wait!”, however, this case the major stuff may in fact just be right around the corner.

I'd be concerned about that apartment complex. Their apartments.com rating is under 3, with 41% recommending it. Most of the complaints seen to be pet waste accumulation, shared laundry being inaccessible or inoperable and low quality interiors meaning damages at move out. Oh, and that the property tends to flood in the rainy season.

I'd make sure to investigate your cost for food and supplies, too. I'm not sure where you live but cost of living in Anaheim is pretty high, and relying on Lyft/Uber/public transit is going to limit your options some.

Well I would be budgeting a lot for your DH to come visit- not sure how far you are coming from, but my DH wouldn't want to be away from his kids for more than a week or two at a time.

There looks to be a straight shot bus which would be helpful.

Often you can pick up furniture very reasonably second hard.

Things to consider (some are personal questions, no need to answer them here, but do think about it):
- Camping for 6 months on air mattresses sounds like a challenge. I'm not sure I would go for that, what do you teenagers think of this, do they love to sleep in late like many teenagers? How is your own physical condition, no back problems? If not, no back problems in your family, therefore a chance you develop back problems more quickly?
- I'm not from the US and therefore not familiar with the US schooling system, but your 18-year old is he going to work in Anaheim, going to college/university? Or taking 6 months off and when back home he will continue with work/study?
- What about the friends your children have back home, 6 months is not a long period to make new friends. What will they do after school, I take it they won't participate in team sports, music clubs, drama schools etc. In general, what do your children think about your plan? Teenagers can be unpredictable, what if at the last moment your 13 or 18 year old says 'I'd rather stay with dad?'
- 6 months apart, even with visits, is a long time, do you have confidence in your marriage? Asking this because your husband isn't thrilled, but is OK with it. Another reason to ask: You will be solely responsible for the children 24/7 without the support of your husband being there.

Voice of reason:
- Not knowing your financial situation: Are there other things in the future you could need $30,000 for, like college/university for your kids, medical expenses, car, house, etc.
- Is there any chance that either you and/or your children will think after 3 months: "Going to DL again? Can we please stay home/go somewhere else?".

Last edited:
so I guess this means you are not boycotting Star Wars Galaxys Edge after all?? https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-am-boycotting-star-wars-galaxys-edge.3744579/

There is a chance that during your six months Star Wars still isn’t fully open. Rise of the Resistance is still just slated for “this year”. However, if it’s technical issues, it wouldn’t be surprising if it slips into winter/spring 2020. Are you ready for the possibility of an opening date of May 2020 when you’re last days are in April?

Yes, I'm still boycotting GE, but not Disneyland. In fact, I just watched Phantom Menace for the first time on May 4th (never bothered to see it back when I was young because it has no Harrison Ford in it.) When I watched The Force Awakens, I liked first half of the movie, the black guy and the girl. I thought it felt like Star Wars. Unfortunately, the story fell apart towards the end and they stabbed Han Solo for no reason, so I didn't like it anymore. And then I watched The Last Jedi because DS20 made me. I will never forgive him for that!

But HOLY COW!!! the Phantom Menace is a 1000 times better than The Force Awakens! It feels so much more like Star Wars! Tatooine and Naboo and the other planets all look so awesome! I would NOT be boycotting GE if it looks like any of those. It is true, however, that I probably wouldn't have appreciated PM near as much if I hadn't seen TFA and TLJ first. I also rewatched all the original trilogy recently. I haven't watched them for a few years, but looking at pictures of GE online made me want to do it.

I am not going to make my kids boycott GE, however. So they can go do the Resistance and the Falcon ride if they can get a fastpass for it. But they won't be allowed to go line up for 5 hours or whatever.

So.... are you sure you want to do it this year? There is a chance that during your six months Star Wars still isn’t fully open. Rise of the Resistance is still just slated for “this year”. However, if it’s technical issues, it wouldn’t be surprising if it slips into winter/spring 2020. Are you ready for the possibility of an opening date of May 2020 when you’re last days are in April?

Also Marvel attractions should be opening “2020”, possibly “spring 2020”, but who knows if that’s a staged opening. Your kids would also be a little older, so you might feel a little more comfortable with a 19 & 14 year old returning home via Lyft or something from the park on their own if you need to head home early with the 4 year old... though 19 might be college age, unless doing online or distance ed stuff, which might just eat up too much time.

There’s always the “but wait!”, however, this case the major stuff may in fact just be right around the corner.
Yeah, this year. Don't want to wait!

Anaheim has real crime. It always has. Street gangs, drug trade, human trafficking, stray bullets killing kids in playgrounds and such. Go to youtube.com and type in "Anaheim gangs" to see it for yourself. Do a google such for crime within Anaheim. Within a 5 mile radius of the address you posted there are 400 known sex offenders per the California Department of Justice Megan's law website. https://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/Default.aspx That is a lot of very bad people. Many of them ride public transportation along with other ex cons. Just to put in in contrast, I checked my old address in the suburbs of San Diego and there were 30 known sex offenders within a 5 mile radius. Not to rain on your fun but I just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open. If I were going to do what you are thinking about, I would live within the city of Orange or Fullerton. Good Luck

Last edited:
Interesting to choose DLR. I would have thought WDW would be better for this with more parks and waterparks and all the resorts to enjoy. I enjoyed DLR but after a week I was missing the size and the variety of things to do at WDW.

I would agree that Anaheim is not the safest area and would not be my pick for something like this. There are lots of much better areas within a 30-45min drive that could still provide the DLR "local" experience. Spend $5-6K on a reasonable but not extravagant used car then resell it for almost the same amount when you leave.

ETA: or maybe just drive out there in the first place? That would allow you a lot more flexibility on bringing along a few things as well...

Things to consider (some are personal questions, no need to answer them here, but do think about it):
- Camping for 6 months on air mattresses sounds like a challenge. I'm not sure I would go for that, what do you teenagers think of this, do they love to sleep in late like many teenagers? How is your own physical condition, no back problems? If not, no back problems in your family, therefore a chance you develop back problems more quickly?
- I'm not from the US and therefore not familiar with the US schooling system, but your 18-year old is he going to work in Anaheim, going to college/university? Or taking 6 months off and when back home he will continue with work/study?
- What about the friends your children have back home, 6 months is not a long period to make new friends. What will they do after school, I take it they won't participate in team sports, music clubs, drama schools etc. In general, what do your children think about your plan? Teenagers can be unpredictable, what if at the last moment your 13 or 18 year old says 'I'd rather stay with dad?'
- 6 months apart, even with visits, is a long time, do you have confidence in your marriage? Asking this because your husband isn't thrilled, but is OK with it. Another reason to ask: You will be solely responsible for the children 24/7 without the support of your husband being there.

Voice of reason:
- Not knowing your financial situation: Are there other things in the future you could need $30,000 for, like college/university for your kids, medical expenses, car, house, etc.
- Is there any chance that either you and/or your children will think after 3 months: "Going to DL again? Can we please stay home/go somewhere else?".

Excellent points. Thanks for taking the time to point them out! I will think about them carefully.

Thoughts off the top of my head:

Being next to a police station isn't always a "good" thing--as with many cities, police precincts are often in the worst area.

The resort area has a higher police presence than the rest of the city, so the resort area gives a false view of the rest of the town.

An air mattress for 6 months would suck. Heck, I hate them for a weekend camping ;) And, at least with my kids, they would leak/pop at least twice in that time, necessitating buying whole new sets.

I would take a fact-finding journey first, as it sounds like this was all figured out online. Look around the neighborhood at day and night. Ask the local police station about the areas to stay away from, look at how easy it would really be to Uber from/to the grocery twice a week, get estimates of utility costs, etc.

Finally parting thought... If your husband is grudgingly going along with your idea, do you really want it to be brought up with any potential issues? Because, I can tell you, if I did this, Hubs would be sympathetic, but also would bring it up when something was tough--bad day with the kids, loud neighbors, prostitute on the corner, or other unsavory experiences.

ok, ignoring the OP's questionable previous posts and threads, this sounds like a total diaster waiting to happen

1. Leaving husband on his own for 6 months, just cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
  2. Spending a huge amount of family money just cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
  3. Making your kids leave their friends, social groups, their routines and possessions, basically their lives, cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
  4. Making your kids live like their are on a campsite in what sounds a very low quality home in a bad neighbourhood cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local

You cant just up and leave your relationship and responsibilities and drag teenagers to Anaheim just cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
Wont the kids miss their dad, wont your husband miss his wife and kids??

It just seems to me like you really dont care about anyone else or how your actions will affect others

The problems I see are divorce and your kids disowning you

Something else I thought about, when being a single parent for 6 months: Let's hope not, but what will you do if something happens to you? You get sick/hospitalized etc. Is your 18 year old adult enough to take care of his siblings in case of an emergency? How would he handle stress? Not just for a few hours, but also consider what happens if its' a few days, your husband cannot join them immediately. Is there a support system in Anaheim/nearby your sons can rely on?

Also Marvel attractions in 2020...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter