6 months trip to Disneyland, advice please!

So.... are you sure you want to do it this year? There is a chance that during your six months Star Wars still isn’t fully open. Rise of the Resistance is still just slated for “this year”. However, if it’s technical issues, it wouldn’t be surprising if it slips into winter/spring 2020. Are you ready for the possibility of an opening date of May 2020 when you’re last days are in April?

Also Marvel attractions should be opening “2020”, possibly “spring 2020”, but who knows if that’s a staged opening. Your kids would also be a little older, so you might feel a little more comfortable with a 19 & 14 year old returning home via Lyft or something from the park on their own if you need to head home early with the 4 year old... though 19 might be college age, unless doing online or distance ed stuff, which might just eat up too much time.

There’s always the “but wait!”, however, this case the major stuff may in fact just be right around the corner.
I don't want to wait because, while better things are around the corner, worse things are also coming. Over the years, we've lost so much in WDW: Maelstrom, Soarin (downgraded), Toon Town, Mickey and Minnie's house, Ellen's U of E, The Piggy Bank ride, The Sum of all Thrills, It's Small World (remodeled, much prefer the original), Test Track (prefer the original), Honey I shrunk the kids playground, Disney Quest, Wishes fireworks, and so on. You never know what Disney is going to plow under by next year.

ok, ignoring the OP's questionable previous posts and threads, this sounds like a total diaster waiting to happen

1. Leaving husband on his own for 6 months, just cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
  2. Spending a huge amount of family money just cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
  3. Making your kids leave their friends, social groups, their routines and possessions, basically their lives, cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
  4. Making your kids live like their are on a campsite in what sounds a very low quality home in a bad neighbourhood cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local

You cant just up and leave your relationship and responsibilities and drag teenagers to Anaheim just cos you want to go to Disneyland like a local
Wont the kids miss their dad, wont your husband miss his wife and kids??

It just seems to me like you really dont care about anyone else or how your actions will affect others

The problems I see are divorce and your kids disowning you

I don’t necessarily disagree, but every family dynamic is different.

have you though about the emotional stress and social isolation? What about the 18 year old, is he in a relationship, does he have a job, does he have his own responsibilities outside the home which he would have to give up?? At 18 there is no way I would have agreed to give up my life and just leave for 6 months with a parent who wants to live somewhere else.

Have you lived in a high crime area? How streetwise are you and the 18 year old? How aware are you of personal safety? Have you used public transport before? LA is a huge place, have you even checked out Google Maps? Anaheim is no where near Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu etc.

There are parts of LA that are most defiantly NOT safe, do you even know where these areas are??

Honestly, I think you are crazy to do this. But to each their own, I guess. I just do not think it would be totally fair to your children to uproot them like that.

Admittedly, I am a Disneyland local, but I live about 20-30 minutes by car from the parks. As much as I would love to go all the time (and people think I already go an awful lot), things always get in the way (work, family/friend commitments, other things), and I usually only get there 2-4 times per month (still a lot more than many people, but not as often as I would like).

I agree with others that this does not sound like a good idea.

As much as my kids and I love DLR, if I did this to my kids, I’m pretty sure that all the sacrifices I’d be making them do would spoil the experience and could even make them hate the park (or me for making them do it).

With the budget you’ve set, I could stay living at home and with that money do multiple trips to the area over that 6 month period.

Sounds a lot better to me than slumming it for half a year, just to be walking or bus distance.

You are free to do what you like, and if you go through with it, we all hope it works out for you. However, in my opinion this has disaster written all over it.

have you though about the emotional stress and social isolation? What about the 18 year old, is he in a relationship, does he have a job, does he have his own responsibilities outside the home which he would have to give up?? At 18 there is no way I would have agreed to give up my life and just leave for 6 months with a parent who wants to live somewhere else.

Have you lived in a high crime area? How streetwise are you and the 18 year old? How aware are you of personal safety? Have you used public transport before? LA is a huge place, have you even checked out Google Maps? Anaheim is no where near Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu etc.

There are parts of LA that are most defiantly NOT safe, do you even know where these areas are??
My DS18 loves the idea of living near Disneyland. In fact, this is sort of his high school graduation present; it is mostly for his benefit. I have lived in a big city for years myself, taking public transportation and going places at night alone as a young girl, just like all other young girls did there back in the 80s. I've never had a problem, but I knew there was a lot of crime around. Somebody DH knows went to LA for ONE day and got mugged while he was there. (Poor guy.) That's why DH doesn't want to go; he thinks LA is a horrible place.

I appreciate your warnings about safety. I am very concerned about it. Here's my plan for how to cut the risks to a minimum:

1. Go to Disneyland and back by uber 2,3 times a week. The kids won't be allowed to go anywhere by themselves. They can't now, I have to drive them everywhere, so it's no different.
2. Walk to nearby grocery store to buy groceries with DS18. He's 5'11" and weighs 160 pounds.
3. Walk to nearby fast food restaurants and eat out sometimes. Walk to the library, which is around the corner. Go to church across the street. Only during day time.
4. Go to Walmart once by uber in the beginning. Order stuff from Amazon the rest of the time.
5. Stay home the entire rest of the time. Won't touch LA with a ten foot pole.

I have flown to WDW with 3 kids (8 hours) by myself since my kids were 4, 9, and 11. We stayed for around 2 to 3 weeks. DS20 eventually didn't want to go anymore, and then DS3 came along, so I continued to go with 3 kids by myself starting when DS3 was 8 months old. So I have some experience playing "single parent," though 6 months is a lot longer than 3 weeks, and an apartment with air mattresses is quite different than Pop Century or the Grand Floridian Club Level. And I'm a lot older and more decrepit than I used to be.

So, I'm not completely sold on this plan myself. If I can pull it off, however, it will be a wonderful experience for the kids. I don't have to decide until September, after I get back from WDW.

Can I just ask why you want to do this? I know you said your 18 year old would love it, but what about your 13 year old? I know our 12 year old is getting to that stage where she wants more independence and freedom (especially away from mom and dad and we are a VERY close family), but it is the natural progression of things. She is starting to really get into sports, spending time with friends, and just discovering herself and what she is interested in and likes. But beyond that, I could not imagine leaving my husband behind like that for something not work or military related. Heck, he has been gone 2 1/2 days right now on a business trip and we already miss each other like crazy. He has had to be gone for weeks before for work and I HATED that (thankfully he has a new job that he is only gone 5-6 days at the most once or twice a year). And we aren’t newlyweds either, this is 15 years and 4 kids later and we couldn’t imagine being apart that long, but maybe we are in the minority. Will this affect your relationship? Does your rejecting his suggestion that the building isn’t good, even though he works in the industry, have any impact right now as it is? How does he feel about spending that large amount of money on this? Remember as the kids grow and leave, he will be the one still there with you.

Ignoring everything else, I have a practical question:

Why 6 months?

Why stay 6 months going 2-3 times a week? Why not just stay for a month and basically go every day if you want? Or even 6-8 weeks? Past that point, I don't think you'll get a vastly different experience by adding any more time.

Especially since you don't seem to be interested in doing anything else in Southern California. If you were staying 6 months, and had many things you wanted to visit over that long span of time (beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, Catalina, San Diego, Los Angeles, Universal Studios, Hollywood, Santa Barbara, and on and on), then it makes some sense. Independently wealthy people travel where they want, when they want, for as long as they want all the time, so it's not that crazy. It's just that it sounds like you are planning to confine yourself to a sparsely furnished apartment in Anaheim except 2-3 times a week leaving to go to Disneyland. If you only want to go to DL, you don't need 6 months.

I was an AP up until about 2015, then took a break for a few years until December 2018. Since then, I've literally been to the park every week, sometimes twice a week. Realizing just now that I've only had my current AP for 5 months, I can tell you that you absolutely don't need 6 months to experience the park like a local!

There is zero chance my kids would have wanted to do this as teenagers.

OP, your first post says your husband isn't thrilled with this. I would barely want to do it if he was fully on board. But with hesitation, I think you should listen. He only has so much time left with the 18 year old especially. I don't think it's fair to spend that valuable time in another city for something that isn't a necessity.

1. Go to Disneyland and back by uber 2,3 times a week. The kids won't be allowed to go anywhere by themselves. They can't now, I have to drive them everywhere, so it's no different.
Your 13 and 18 year old can't go anywhere by themselves now? Not even your 18 year old? And they are home-schooled, when are they allowed their freedom?

I'm going to be a bit more blunt then in my previous posts. Because I agree with those who already told you this is a bad idea, just voiced it carefully trying to get you to that conclusion yourself. I can't imagine it would be good for your children. There is a huge difference between your remark at home and living somewhere else for 6 months. Back home they probably have places they want/have to go to, like friends and after school activities. It's unlikely that your kids will ask you to be driven anywhere, as in Anaheim they won't know anyone, and don't have anywhere to go to.

It's your family and your money, so completely up to you. If you and your husband both are not convinced this is a good idea, chances are: This is not a good idea. Be honest with yourself, you now say it's a gift for your 18 years old graduation and it would be a wonderful experience for the kids, in previous posts you really made that this was your wish and that you would tag your kids along (sounding a bit like a 16 year old Ariel who sees Eric for the first time and immediately decides to leave everything and everyone behind to go after her crush). I would even dig a little deeper, question yourself why your need to escape the real world is so overpowering. What has happened or is happening in your life that you feel you need to escape for 6 months? Because if in anyway you are dissatisfied with your life back home, I guarantee you, going away for 6 months won't change that.

Again, you do not need to answer here, just please think this through.

My DS18 loves the idea of living near Disneyland. In fact, this is sort of his high school graduation present; it is mostly for his benefit. I have lived in a big city for years myself, taking public transportation and going places at night alone as a young girl, just like all other young girls did there back in the 80s. I've never had a problem, but I knew there was a lot of crime around. Somebody DH knows went to LA for ONE day and got mugged while he was there. (Poor guy.) That's why DH doesn't want to go; he thinks LA is a horrible place.

I appreciate your warnings about safety. I am very concerned about it. Here's my plan for how to cut the risks to a minimum:

2. Walk to nearby grocery store to buy groceries with DS18. He's 5'11" and weighs 160 pounds.
3. Walk to nearby fast food restaurants and eat out sometimes. Walk to the library, which is around the corner. Go to church across the street. Only during day time.
4. Go to Walmart once by uber in the beginning. Order stuff from Amazon the rest of the time.

I have flown to WDW with 3 kids (8 hours) by myself since my kids were 4, 9, and 11. We stayed for around 2 to 3 weeks. DS20 eventually didn't want to go anymore, and then DS3 came along, so I continued to go with 3 kids by myself starting when DS3 was 8 months old. So I have some experience playing "single parent," though 6 months is a lot longer than 3 weeks, and an apartment with air mattresses is quite different than Pop Century or the Grand Floridian Club Level. And I'm a lot older and more decrepit than I used to be.

So, I'm not completely sold on this plan myself. If I can pull it off, however, it will be a wonderful experience for the kids. I don't have to decide until September, after I get back from WDW.

So outside of those brief trips and trips to DL your kids will be virtual shut ins. No friends or social activities and being their own people outside of Disney? Why don’t you go on your own and leave the kids with their dad?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm going to WDW in September this year. Then in October, I want to go live in Anaheim for 6 months with DS18, DS13, and DS3, so that we can visit Disneyland whenever we want like a local. DH, who is not into Disney, will stay home and work at his job, but will come to visit us on occasion during the 6 months. Please post your thoughts about my plan. Do you see any problems? What should I watch out for? How best do I do this? Do you see a better way? Thanks in advance!

Here are the details of my plan:

Housing: We are going to get a 6 months lease at the "luxury" apartment complex called Avanti Apartments, 650 W Broadway, Anaheim, CA 92805, which is half an hour walk to Disneyland itself, but also has a bus that goes there. Cost: $2500 per month plus utilities. It is a 2 bedroom apartment, 850 square feet, has a swimming pool but no weight sets. DH, who is in the construction business, calls the apartment "cheaply built," but I see nothing wrong with it.

Furniture: will buy air mattresses, inflatable sofa, and other such disposable stuff and live camping style for the 6 months. Will ship over the kids' xbox, video games, Oculus, small TV, etc. There's a thrift store within walking distance. Will buy used household stuff such as plates and pots and small tables there, then give it back when we leave. Should be able to get by with $700. Much cheaper than renting furniture.

Kids' schools: Homeschool. I'm a math teacher.

Disneyland annual pass for 4: $800x4 plus taxes. Will go there maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Transportation: walk, buses, uber, taxi. The apartment area is ranked as "extremely walkable." Cost maybe $300 per month. I probably won't be renting a car.

Food: will buy groceries and cook like we normally do, so the cost is not counted as part of trip cost.

Round trip plane tickets: about $500x4=$2000.

Total costs:
Apartments: (2500+300)x6=$16,800.
Furniture: $700
Disneyland passes: $3500.
Transportation: $300x6=$1800
Plane Tickets: $2000
Other expenses (not counting food): $700

Total: $25,500 (not counting food or DH's plane fares for visiting, he can pay for that)

I have $30,000 that I can budget for this trip. I've been to Disneyland with the kids a couple of times before, a few days each, and always thought that it is better to live there and visit frequently rather than take a special trip. DH is not thrilled with my plan but is OK with it. This is a once in a lifetime thing -- won't do it again. We will be able to enjoy the warm Californian winter! Yay!

My main question is: how safe is Anaheim to walk or take the bus? What's the best way to get around there? Is it easy to travel to LA? Is there a subway? Is LA safe enough? Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help!

Camping for six months in an apartment?
Sleeping on air mattresses every night? Yikes!
Ordering your food and supplies so you don’t have to go out? You will become virtual shut ins.
Just to go to DL a few times a week?

OP, based on your previous posts, you seem to flip flop all over the place. You’re excited about SWGE and plan to go daily despite the crowds, and suddenly you’re boycotting SWGE because you don’t like a movie.

I just feel uprooting your family like this would be a bad idea.

My advice is, don’t do it.

I don’t think this is really legit. The OP’s profile states that she’s 71 yr old. And she has an 18 yr old. Then in some reply of hers somewhere she references a 20 yr old DS. So is it 3 or 4 kids?

This is seriously one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of. It’s insane and really foolish and stupid. Uprooting your kids for 6 months, taking the kids away from their dad just because you want to ride theme park attractions.

I don’t think this is really legit. The OP’s profile states that she’s 71 yr old. And she has an 18 yr old. Then in some reply of hers somewhere she references a 20 yr old DS. So is it 3 or 4 kids?

This is seriously one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of. It’s insane and really foolish and stupid. Uprooting your kids for 6 months, taking the kids away from their dad just because you want to ride theme park attractions.

I think the OP didn't insert her DOB correctly, in another thread she states she was a teenager in the 80s. So she probably is between 40 - 50 yeas old. And I think there are 4 kids, 3 of them still live at home and are part of this plan.

I agree with everyone who says this is a very bad idea..
I think after a few weeks the living situation and social isolation would get old for everyone.
If you have that much money to spend on Disney I agree to do a few mega-Disney trips or Adventures by Disney to China, Europe, South Africa or Egypt. A much more memorable experience IMO!

I also might advise you to take a good look at your marriage..
This sounds like the type of thing I would have fantasized about while trapped in my bad marriage to my ex husband. A 6 month break from each other would have been VERY welcomed!
But doesn’t seem like the type of thing one would want to do in a healthy marriage unless forced to for jobs, deployment etc.
You may want to do some soul searching and if a break from your husband is a motivating factor for this plan you might be better off spending that money on a real separation and a divorce lawyer.

Ok.
1. Your 18 year old doesn't drive?
2. 5'11" and 160lbs is not big and/or intimidating. That's an average sized person. Absolutely nothing intimidating about that.
3-5. So outside from going to Disneyland or walking to the grocery store, church, and library your kids will be in lock down for 6 months.
Yeah, this sounds like a great idea. I smell troll here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!