6 person fam- finally ready to buy- love input :)

With a fixed week, the selected week is automatically booked for you each year. But you have the flexibility of cancelling the booking and using the returned points like normal points. If you always travel during a high demand time of year (for example, the first two weeks of December, food and wine, holidays), and book studios, a fixed week can be valuable. No fighting it out at 8am, 11 months out, and no walking.

The fixed week costs 10% more point than a normal week. So for example, if booking the week would cost 100 points normally, you have to purchase 110 for the fixed week. If you keep the reservation as it is, then you're actually paying 10 points more for the privilege, but if you cancel the reservation, you get 110 points back to use as you please. If there is availability, you can rebook at 11 months the same week (but now in competition with every other owner at the same resort) and actually keep the extra 10 points to book something else.
Each year you can decide what to do, keep the reservation or get the whole 110 points back.

While it is a good system for the owner, it's possibly a bit convoluted and many do not know how it works or do not fully understand it. This may hit it resale price a bit. I've seen only once a fixed week on the market and it was priced lower than other similar sized contracts and yet it didn't sell immediately. It's possible people do not understand it and think they can only use it for that week so they avoid making an offer.
However I've not followed much the resale market, so it may not be true anymore. It's difficult to make an analysis on impact on price, because it's so rare to find a fixed week for sale.

Sorry for the question, but what is a fixed week?
In it's simplest terms, it's the traditional timeshare week calendar. In DVC's case they start on Sunday. So you buy the number of points that would match that week if you were reserving it PLUS 10% more points. If you use the fixed week, you lost the 10% extra points but if you take points you get the additional 10% as well. Also they've started offering Run Disney event weeks which I haven't looked at quite as closely, I get the sense they are slightly more flexible. I've heard it said by some you lose on the incentives if you buy a fixed week and I'm pretty sure you lose the option to break the points down into smaller increments. Here are a couple of links that might help. https://*******.com/dvc-information/buying-dvc/purchasing-a-guaranteed-week/ & https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/rundisney-weeks/

If you lose the incentives that might be a reason to skip it, if not and the number of points is fairly close, it's simply options as a minimum, which is always a good thing.

In it's simplest terms, it's the traditional timeshare week calendar. In DVC's case they start on Sunday. So you buy the number of points that would match that week if you were reserving it PLUS 10% more points. If you use the fixed week, you lost the 10% extra points but if you take points you get the additional 10% as well. Also they've started offering Run Disney event weeks which I haven't looked at quite as closely, I get the sense they are slightly more flexible. I've heard it said by some you lose on the incentives if you buy a fixed week and I'm pretty sure you lose the option to break the points down into smaller increments. Here are a couple of links that might help. https://*******.com/dvc-information/buying-dvc/purchasing-a-guaranteed-week/ & https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/rundisney-weeks/

If you lose the incentives that might be a reason to skip it, if not and the number of points is fairly close, it's simply options as a minimum, which is always a good thing.

That is correct - they do not offer price incentives on fixed weeks.

A fixed week isn't subject to point relocations. Disney may increase the points required for an early December stay, fixed week contracts will not require more points for the same stay.

:earsboy: Bill

I only skimmed thread but if you are looking to get 75pts direct I would see if it’s possible to put your two oldest kids down as DVC members - not sure if you need to be 18 though.

The direct purchase is way to go because of the annual park discount. You don’t have enough points to go twice a year but If you stagger trips like March 2019 and February 2020 you will be able to save on 6 tickets every other year. This will quickly pay for the premium itself.

I only skimmed thread but if you are looking to get 75pts direct I would see if it’s possible to put your two oldest kids down as DVC members - not sure if you need to be 18 though.

The direct purchase is way to go because of the annual park discount. You don’t have enough points to go twice a year but If you stagger trips like March 2019 and February 2020 you will be able to save on 6 tickets every other year. This will quickly pay for the premium itself.

Agree. This is our plan too!

They must be 18 years.

We are finally ready to buy dvc after years of waiting, reading, pondering this move. We have an immediate family of 6--- kiddos 14,11, 3, 1 currently. We plan to buy resale and are thinking in line of 150-200 points. If we go with 150 we hope to add on 50 direct shortly thereafter.

Input that would be appreciated... between Boardwalk, Bay Lake, or Boulder Ridge? Which and why would yall suggest if you were to put in a 2cents ;) I'm just looking for varying thoughts that I may not have considered... I know this is a toss up and quite different between end dates & maintenance fees.

Also, go for the full 200 we feel would be best for us travel wise with points or split it up to make it more versatile for the possibility of resale if needed? + Dueling resort opportunities?

Thanks so much!
If you are willing to try different resorts I say go with the cheapest one as you can get into alot of places at 7 months so go with cheapest overall, including dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!