7 Night British Isles Sept 2, 2018

My husband and I plan to stay in London 2-3 days pre-cruise. He has never been to London. I went 30 years ago. We would appreciate any advice re: B&Bs you would recommend. We are in our mid 40s and my husband is a huge Beatles fan! I enjoy scenery, gardens, and a foodie at heart. Any places you would recommend is much appreciated! Thanks!:)

Hi everyone, just checking in. Im not on this cruise but I live in one of your port destinations, Dublin and I know another post Cork very well as some of my family live there. I am the resident helper on the British Isles Cruise Meet Threads :)
Excursions or sites you would recommend for first timers?

Excursions or sites you would recommend for first timers?
If you give me a bit more information I can try to help you :)

Who is in your party - adults / tween kids / teenagers/ numbers

What are you interested in - major tourist attractions / history / shopping/ restaurants ???

Official Disney Port excursions or DIY port excursions??

What kind of excursions / things to do, hop on hop off bus / official walking tour / DIY walking tour/ bus tour???

Which city are you looking for help with Dublin or Cork or both?

BadPink Tink -

You have been great with information and I suspect others like me are very appreciative. My Grandfather is from Donegal and Grandmother from County Cork, my mother is from Cork. While I have had so many wonderful visits, we have never been to Cobh. Our goal during one of our 2 stops in Cork (B2B) we would really like to get over to view the heritage museum, the last stop of the Titanic and of course the tribute to Annie Moore and her younger brothers, Philip and Anthony. I would love to find the old Queenstown historic sites and see where these young immigrants would have departed from.

That was a long introduction to asking what you know about Cobh and best opportunity to explore.

awww thanks :)

Ok I had a look at both cruise itinerary's. The Magic is actually docking in Cobh :) not Cork city. I have been to Cobh, but its been over 10 years so some things might have changed.

It is very possible the Magic will put down anchor out in the bay, at the exact same place Titanic did as Cobh harbour is a shallow harbour. If this happens you will take a tender to shore, exactly the same as Titanic passengers did.

Cobh is a very small village, very easy to walk around, have a look on Google Maps

It is very likely that most people on the cruise will not get to see Cobh and the Titanic places as Disney will have lots of buses to Cork city and port excursions.

This is the link to the Titanic Museum http://www.titanicexperiencecobh.ie/

I would also recommend doing the Titanic Walking Tour http://www.titanic.ie/tours/the-titanic-trail
I did one over 10 years ago when I was there and its well worth it. This is where you will get to see the places and houses that have associations with Titanic. Just make sure you have comfortable walking shoes and are dressed for spending a few hours outdoors in the unpredictable Irish weather!

Ok I had a look at both cruise itinerary's. The Magic is actually docking in Cobh :) not Cork city. I have been to Cobh, but its been over 10 years so some things might have changed.

It is very possible the Magic will put down anchor out in the bay, at the exact same place Titanic did as Cobh harbour is a shallow harbour. If this happens you will take a tender to shore, exactly the same as Titanic passengers did.

Cobh is a very small village, very easy to walk around, have a look on Google Maps

It is very likely that most people on the cruise will not get to see Cobh and the Titanic places as Disney will have lots of buses to Cork city and port excursions.

I would also recommend doing the Titanic Walking Tour http://www.titanic.ie/tours/the-titanic-trail
I did one over 10 years ago when I was there and its well worth it. This is where you will get to see the places and houses that have associations with Titanic. Just make sure you have comfortable walking shoes and are dressed for spending a few hours outdoors in the unpredictable Irish weather!
Thanks, BadPink Tink! Invaluable info!

Wonderful news, we will certainly spend one of our days in Cobh and excited it will be where we port. All of our remaining family are in the Donegal area and can't believe none have visited Cobh. We have been to Cork a few times so we don't feel bad about using a day for Cobh especially since this will be September and the English gardens in the area will probably be dwindling.

I have been to Cobh before.We spent the day walking around looking at the cathedral,Titanic museum,Heritage museum and Annie Moore statue.It was very quiet when we were there but there was a bus tour at the Titanic exhibit.We travelled by train.This time I hope to get a tour to Blarney Castle.

I have also been to Dublin.Our first visit we went to see Book of Kells and Trinity College.I loved Guinness storehouse and the Irish stew there was excellent!We also liked the Archaeology museum(free admission).This visit we plan to visit Kilmainham Gaol and shop at Penneys.

My husband and I plan to stay in London 2-3 days pre-cruise. He has never been to London. I went 30 years ago. We would appreciate any advice re: B&Bs you would recommend. We are in our mid 40s and my husband is a huge Beatles fan! I enjoy scenery, gardens, and a foodie at heart. Any places you would recommend is much appreciated! Thanks!:)
Hi Woot40... We are really looking forward to the Beatles stuff in Liverpool. We will be spending a day or two in London ahead of the cruise as well since its our first visit to Great Britain. Considering making a trip up to the St. John Wood area of London to do the Abbey Road crossing.

hey everyone, I have a 3 day trip to London booked in December. I will be writing up a trip report when I get back but if there is something you would like me to check out, feel free to either PM me or post here :)

hey everyone, I have a 3 day trip to London booked in December. I will be writing up a trip report when I get back but if there is something you would like me to check out, feel free to either PM me or post here :)

Hey, thanks for offering to do that. We'll be spending 2-3 days in the London area before the cruise. We want to see Stonehenge. Any recommendations on how to get there? Join a tour (best ones?) or getting there independently?

On the other end of the cruise, we would like to explore Canterbury and the Dover area. Any place to leave our luggage? Our plane home doesn't leave until the next day.

Thanks for anyone's recommendations!

We want to see Stonehenge. Any recommendations on how to get there? Join a tour (best ones?) or getting there independently?

For Stonehenge I suggest you check out the trip report by Poison Ivy. She is currently writing up their 2017 British Isles cruise and they did Stonehenge on their own precruise with a tour group, link here https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-magic-12-nt-british-isles-cruise-2017.3623371/

On the other end of the cruise, we would like to explore Canterbury and the Dover area. Any place to leave our luggage? Our plane home doesn't leave until the next day.

I have never been to either of these places so I cant help you, Dover is about 2 hours by train from London and Canterbury is about 40 minutes from Dover by train.

Hi BadPinkTink! Our party is spending a couple of days in London before the departure, and then plan on spending a day in Dover the day before the departure. My question is, how do we get directly from London to Dover? Train? I've been trying to figure this out, but am not sure if I am doing it right. A train from Charing Cross Station to Dover? Thanks in advance!
Sandy

Hi BadPinkTink! Our party is spending a couple of days in London before the departure, and then plan on spending a day in Dover the day before the departure. My question is, how do we get directly from London to Dover? Train? I've been trying to figure this out, but am not sure if I am doing it right. A train from Charing Cross Station to Dover? Thanks in advance!
Sandy

I use this website for train travel in The UK https://www.thetrainline.com/

The quickest way is from London St Pancreas to Dover Priory.

Just finalized flights and hotels! We booked while on board the May 2017 Transatlantic, Isles and EBTA back to back. Traveling are my husband and myself.

We ended up booking flights on Delta round trip to New York and Norwegian From JFK to Heathrow. Since we are on the WBTA after this cruise, this saves us about 1,500 each. We have never flown Norwegian however a co-worker used them this past September and had a good experience.

We are still looking for the easiest way from Heathrow to Dover the day prior to the cruise, not interested in navigating the train.

Anyone know what time is the earliest you should book your flight home? Starting to look at flights and have no idea.

Anyone know what time is the earliest you should book your flight home? Starting to look at flights and have no idea.
From the Disney cruise website, for guests arranging independent air from Dover:
  • Earliest departure time from London Heathrow International Airport or London Gatwick International Airport on Debarkation Day: 1:15 PM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!