7 per cabin?

checkwriter

DIS Veteran
We will be returning to DW for the first time since our family has grown to 7 (2 adults, kids ages ranging from 14 to 4 at the time of our trip). I do not want to have to sell one of the kids to pay for the trip, though the thought had occurred to me. I have two separate but related questions. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1. The cabins seem an attractive alternative to more expensive lodgings. How strict are the powers that be about enforcing the 6-to-a-cabin rule? I understand we'd be cramped, but half the time I wake up in the am with the 4-year-old wedged inbetween me and she-who-must-be-obeyed anyway.

2. One alternative if we can't swing 7-to-a-cabin is to rent a cabin and a campsite, with there to be a nightly competition over who gets/has to sleep in the tent. What are the chances of getting a cabin close to a particular campsite? Then, of course, we're probably looking at renting a golf cart to go along with things, which will increase the per-diem for the campsite idea by over $100 per day. I'd appreciate any comments from someone who has tried this before.

3. Our main goal is to be within easy commuting distance of the Magic Kingdom. We subscribe to the "early up and back for a nap" school of touring, plus we're "full immersion" junkies, so we would like to remain in the world if possible. Any reasonable alternatives to the above would be appreciated. I'm afraid we'd be disappointed by double rooms at an all-star resort, so your comments if you've tried that would be appreciated as well.

thanks

All I can say is been there and done that with older aged teen-agers. It's a little cramped but what the heck

I think it is possible to have 7 in a cabin, but do you really all want to share one bathroom?
As for the cabin/campsite question, I don't believe there are any loops that contain both. The last time we were there we stayed in loop 2100, Bobcat Bend. I believe loop 2000 had tent campers but there was a little waterway that separated those two loops if I remember right. So in other words, your sites couldn't "back up" to one another. You would have to travel a little bit.
But personally, we have loved the cabins with kids and love the close proximity to MK. Could you possibly get two cabins? Remember to factor in the money you'll save by having meals there.

Ever thought about everyone sleeping in tents?

Otherwise I'm like donaldduck1967--forget you have 5 kids when making the reservations. I'm guessing you are used to sharing the bathroom, anyway.

Or else sell the teenager.......

We stayed in a cabin in '99 (at the time they were called "homes"). We also had 7 in our party 4 adults, a 12 yo, 9 yo and 5 yo. The only reason that they let us was because our youngest has a rare genetic disease. She uses a wheelchair but is very tiny and needs to sleep in a crib/playpen. They said that they would have to register her as being under 2 (really didn't make much difference to us~she was only 24 lbs at the time so no one even questioned it). I was honest with them but if that hadn't have worked, I might have forgot. The only thing with that is that you won't have enough room keys/bus passes. I'm not sure if that even matters. When we were there this past July, no one ever asked to see our passes to get on the bus.

If you decide to get a camp site, you might want to ask for loop 2100 for the cabin and 1100 for the tent. They're right next to each other. Loop 2000 is a tent loop but there's a creek inbetween that loop and the 2100 loop.

I agree with you. I'd rather be a little cramped sleeping and save $$$. Afterall, you don't spend much time in the room anyway.

Have fun!

Hey, we're doing this....soon!

We have 5 kids (9yr. thru 10 months) and were told we are allowed 6 people plus an infant.

I realize this doesn't help you unless you plan on stuffing a kid in the porta crib! We fit in one hotel room (w/2 sleeping bags).

But I definitely feel amnesia comming on for our next trip!!!!

We have stayed in the cabin with 5 kids but one was an infant. I have an interesting story. We were staying at an off-site villa with my mom but we weren't happy there. My mom watched our kids while DH and I drove out to FW to view a cabin and see if it would work for us. (We had a week of vacation left and my mom was leaving to go back home.)An older CM gentleman took us in a golf cart out to the cabin. He told us that they're made for 6 but a lot of families will squeeze 7 in. I felt like he was telling me that this was a known fact of life at FW campground. (He also said it like it was the most natural thing in the world.) I made a mental note that if we ever decided to do it when our infant was 3+ (and counted) that we would not be the only ones doing it. The one bathroom might be a tight squeeze but I know we could do it.

Just a side note for those who have not stayed in the cabins yet and have stayed in the trailers. When I was there May '01 there is no sink in the back bedroom any more.

Another option could be a 2br Villa over at the Wilderness Lodge. You could possibly rent points from a DVC member. It can be a good deal, check out the rent/trade board on this site. You may not pay much more than for the cabins. In a 2 br, you would get a full kitchen, washer and dryer, 2 bathrooms, 1 king bed(jacuzzi in bathroom), 2 queens(?), and a sleeper sofa in the living room. They sleep 8, so you would have plenty of room.

If that is not an option, I would also "forget" about one of the kids. No one will say anything. You could ask when you make ressies, but they may tell you no. If you do not ask, they cannot tell you no!!

We are DVC members and love the amenities in the 2br@the Lodge. I'd be glad to answer any questions I can!

After reading all the posts I'd say forget one of the kids(not like with 5 anyone could blame you-haha), request a loop close to a comfort station to alleviate the one bathroom problem. Someone could always scoot over there for a quick shower.

I'm heading down with 5 adults and 1 child in Jan. The only negative I have found so far is 1 bathroom, I will also be requesting close proximity to a comfort zone.

Happy Planning!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter