$70 rebate check is burning a hole in my pocket.

Quicklabs

DIS Veteran
When I bought my memory cards, they had a great deal going for the rebate, which I received yesterday.
I'm going to use it for some filters.
I'm needing a 72mm filter for my 18-200 lens and I'll need a 77mm for the wide angle which is in my future.
I use the 18-200 most of the time.
Would you recommend buying a 77mm and a step up ring for the 18-200 lens or a 72 mm and a step down ring for the wide angle? (Or is the up/down reversed?)
Thanks!
SInce I also need a camera bag and a tripod, I have a feeling that the rebate check is going to end up costing me a few hundred bucks. ::goodvibes

I have the 18-200 and purchased a step up ring to 77mm. Now I already have a circular polarizer for a 70-200. 72 is an off size and 77 is far more standard. I also purchased a 77mm Nikon lens cap so it all matched.

I am sure I will get conversation about this comment, but I do not spend a great amount of money on the 1A or UV for the lens, but did spend good money on a polarizer.

what kind of filter? cp or uv? if uv do you have a hood for your lens? if so i'd skip the filter and get the bag....if cp i'd get the bigger and the step up ring.( what i did with my 67/72 or get a cokin grad nd set up which also uses a step up ring to get the whatever size you need ( would probably be a bout the 70 by the time you get what you need) the holder you can get for wide angle lenses..otherwise i think you sometimes have difficulty with vignetting and wide angles http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/howitworks.htm
i think all in all the cokin might end up being less expensive since the filters can be interchanged and to be honest, i sometimes just hold the filter up in front of whatever lens i am using:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter