9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

Since that sounded really interesting I looked it up for my wife and myself and unfortunately found out that it was closed December 28th 2016 and will reopen not until 2018 - too bad :-(

Oh bummer -- they must be refurbishing it. Other options: Chevy's Tex Mex (across from Madam Trousseau), St. Andrew's Pub, Maggie's Place and the Brooklyn Diner (there is one in Time Square, but the one up on 53rd or so is a real diner building).

If y'all want me to add NYC info to page one, let me know and I will start compiling what I can from what's been posted.

Last edited:
Oh bummer -- they must be refurbishing it. Other options: Chevy's Tex Mex (across from Madam Trousseau), St. Andrew's Pub, Maggie's Place and the Brooklyn Diner (there is one in Time Square, but the one up on 53rd or so is a real diner building).

If y'all want me to add NYC info to page one, let me know and I will start compiling what I can from what's been posted.
That would be most appreciated! I am so sorry that the train at Bloomingdale's isn't going to be open. I read the post out to my husband and he got all excited as we love train car restaurants. The family we are traveling with want to make sure we eat at Katz's deli.

I LOVE NYC. Another suggestion for eating places -- the train car at Bloomingdale's. It's on the roof and is a real train car and so fun.

Since that sounded really interesting I looked it up for my wife and myself and unfortunately found out that it was closed December 28th 2016 and will reopen not until 2018 - too bad :-(

I got all excited too! Oh well!

I think that would be really useful! I have written these on a random list I have but its not really compiled in a usable way lol

Hello! After lurking here for a long time I've finally decided to get an account as well. Mostly because of our honeymoon in Hawaii in april/may, but since I have to account, I'd also want to contribute here :)
We're Olaf and Andrea, we recently got engaged and this is our first cruise ever! We're staying in stateroom 6012.

:welcome: I will add you to page one. Do you want to join the Postcard Exchange?

Hello! After lurking here for a long time I've finally decided to get an account as well. Mostly because of our honeymoon in Hawaii in april/may, but since I have to account, I'd also want to contribute here :)
We're Olaf and Andrea, we recently got engaged and this is our first cruise ever! We're staying in stateroom 6012.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hello. This is a reminder that FE closes tomorrow. You can sign up until then. Thank you.

<sigh> Check in for noobs opened last night, and it was disappointing.

I got the one thing I really wanted: the catamaran whale watching in the Azores for my DH and children, but none of our other first choices was available. One sort of bright note was that the Highlights of the Ribeira Grande was open again for a moment, and I was able to book my parents on that (even though it is actually what *I* want to do). I'm just hoping that I can catch one more spot on it for myself at some point.

No Palo Brunch availability for 2 or more people.

Palo Dinner was unavailable for 4 people, but I was able to get a seating for 2 people on the Ponta Delgada evening.

We got second choice excursions for Cadiz and Lisbon (Mountain Villages and Obidos). I grabbed them before they disappeared, but we may decide we'd rather go it on our own. Rum and Rascals (even if there is a second shift) is sold out again. Nothing else in St. John's seems worth the money, so we're going it on our own there, definitely.

We wanted a port time of about 12:30-1:00 -- that was available which is nice.

Perhaps staying up late to work on that makes me more down this morning. Intellectually I know I should just keep checking back... but absolutely NO brunch availability on such a long cruise seems wrong and a real bummer.

I'm going to have to get my ducks in a row and start figuring out my own fun to get back into the happy.

I got the one thing I really wanted: the catamaran whale watching in the Azores for my DH and children, but none of our other first choices was available. One sort of bright note was that the Highlights of the Ribeira Grande was open again for a moment, and I was able to book my parents on that (even though it is actually what *I* want to do). I'm just hoping that I can catch one more spot on it for myself at some point.

No Palo Brunch availability for 2 or more people.

Palo Dinner was unavailable for 4 people, but I was able to get a seating for 2 people on the Ponta Delgada evening.

We got second choice excursions for Cadiz and Lisbon (Mountain Villages and Obidos). I grabbed them before they disappeared, but we may decide we'd rather go it on our own. Rum and Rascals (even if there is a second shift) is sold out again. Nothing else in St. John's seems worth the money, so we're going it on our own there, definitely.

We wanted a port time of about 12:30-1:00 -- that was available which is nice.

Perhaps staying up late to work on that makes me more down this morning. Intellectually I know I should just keep checking back... but absolutely NO brunch availability on such a long cruise seems wrong and a real bummer.

I'm going to have to get my ducks in a row and start figuring out my own fun to get back into the happy.

Please do not be discouraged. Even when we were Gold, we could not book Palo brunch when our booking window opened. The very first thing we did when we boarded the ship was head to where dining changes/reservations were being taken and were able to book brunch there (then we ate lunch). You could also see about modifying your group size from 2 to 4. If that doesn't work, head right up to Palo that first evening and see if they can add it for you there.

Regarding excursions, keep checking. Cancellations have to take place at least 3 days before the cruise commences so people might make changes. I still haven't had time to do any research on these ports and what we might be able to do on our own.

Please do not be discouraged. Even when we were Gold, we could not book Palo brunch when our booking window opened. The very first thing we did when we boarded the ship was head to where dining changes/reservations were being taken and were able to book brunch there (then we ate lunch). You could also see about modifying your group size from 2 to 4. If that doesn't work, head right up to Palo that first evening and see if they can add it for you there.

Regarding excursions, keep checking. Cancellations have to take place at least 3 days before the cruise commences so people might make changes. I still haven't had time to do any research on these ports and what we might be able to do on our own.
Thank you for the encouragement :)

I always started with 4 for brunch (I know my parents would love it and would prefer it with all of us). When that did not clear I would try for just the two of them. Only one day showed up as officially sold out, but I even tried to get one person in on the "available" days with no luck. Maybe they only have tables for 6?? Not sure.

I'm a bit worried about getting spots onboard, too... I'm wondering if anything will be left by the time we get on the ship ~1pm?

Definitely going to keep checking the excursions. I have to assume others are doing the same thing I am and keeping dibs as a just in case. It encourages me to have a family meeting sooner rather than later to decide if we want to keep those spots or let them go -- though the things we ended up with seem to be in much less demand and are still showing availability.

Again, thank you so much for the encouragement :)

Thank you for the encouragement :)

I always started with 4 for brunch (I know my parents would love it and would prefer it with all of us). When that did not clear I would try for just the two of them. Only one day showed up as officially sold out, but I even tried to get one person in on the "available" days with no luck. Maybe they only have tables for 6?? Not sure.

I'm a bit worried about getting spots onboard, too... I'm wondering if anything will be left by the time we get on the ship ~1pm?

Definitely going to keep checking the excursions. I have to assume others are doing the same thing I am and keeping dibs as a just in case. It encourages me to have a family meeting sooner rather than later to decide if we want to keep those spots or let them go -- though the things we ended up with seem to be in much less demand and are still showing availability.

Again, thank you so much for the encouragement :)

You're welcome! I saw that your PAT starts at 12:30. Try to aim for already being at the port by that time. Most people head to lunch when they board; send one person to dining changes. Since we were Gold, we had a very low boarding number. Only one person was ahead of us to make dining changes, and we watched her run past us in the hall to beat us inside. Seriously, she did not need to be that aggressive. If you go and find it's all booked, just go directly to Palo the first night and ask.

You're welcome! I saw that your PAT starts at 12:30. Try to aim for already being at the port by that time. Most people head to lunch when they board; send one person to dining changes. Since we were Gold, we had a very low boarding number. Only one person was ahead of us to make dining changes, and we watched her run past us in the hall to beat us inside. Seriously, she did not need to be that aggressive. If you go and find it's all booked, just go directly to Palo the first night and ask.

Okay, great. We're trying to maximize our time in Barcelona, and our current plan is to have a marvelous lunch before boarding. I think this is just something where I'll need to let go of my perfectionism. I'll prioritize a "bird in the hand" morning and lunch in Barcelona and hope to get brunch reservations if we can.

I am zen. My inner control freak is calm. Ommmmmmmmmmm.

:upsidedow

I feel your pain - after working 'til 1:00 AM - I got up at 4:45 (we're in London) to select our activities. And of the 16 "Port Adventures" listed for Ponta Delgada - 4 were still available. None of which interested my 10 year old (or me, to be frank). That was the one day I wanted to book something for. The ONE DAY. I am happy to wander and Uber everywhere else, as we live in Europe and St. John's is small and walkable.

My lovely TA says she will keep trying for me - but it was a downer, no doubt about it. :sad1:

I feel your pain - after working 'til 1:00 AM - I got up at 4:45 (we're in London) to select our activities. And of the 16 "Port Adventures" listed for Ponta Delgada - 4 were still available. None of which interested my 10 year old (or me, to be frank). That was the one day I wanted to book something for. The ONE DAY. I am happy to wander and Uber everywhere else, as we live in Europe and St. John's is small and walkable.

My lovely TA says she will keep trying for me - but it was a downer, no doubt about it. :sad1:

I believe we deserve a Drink of the Day together at some point to make us feel better :)

I am Gold and struggled to get a palo brunch for 1 (only 1 day was showing and 2 times). I have nabbed it but still not 100% sure whether to bother due to the timing. They do hold a lot back and I think that the reservations only opened at 1pm on the first day last time (they didn't open when people got onboard they have a time slot I'm sure). Fingers crossed everyone can get a slot once they are onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!