• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A BCV owner trys out VWL and BWV

lisareniff

DIS Veteran
We (Me, DH and DD’s 5 & 10) returned from our annual trip to Florida over Feb. break. Previously, the only DVC we have stayed in was BCV. This time we were doing a split say at two new resorts, VWL and BWV, 4 nights each.

Here is what we thought of our rooms and the resorts from a BCV families perspective….

VWL – Room 5549

When we checked in at 5pm, I asked if there were rooms to choose from, and was told no that we were given room 5549. I panicked slightly thinking it was the dumpster view room. The CM showed me the map and I was happy. My only request was a room on the lake side (well as non-smoking). This was our room view was… very nice! :love:
2na7ngz.jpg

toward the pool..
4grgmyt.jpg

The room was toward the end of the long spooky hallway. It really wasn’t long (we will talk about long in the next resort!) but it did seem slightly eerie… The common areas of the villas were spectacular. From looking at the villa’s lobby I had mistakenly thought that the fifth floor would be at the top of the lobby's upper beams. I was a little disappointed that they had not taken the lobby up to the fifth and that area was blocked off. It did make the hallway seem more closed in.

After reading the DIS boards for years I have learned the first thing you do after looking at your view is drop everything inspect the room for cleanliness and call housekeeping immediately if there is any problems. No hair, no slime or grime. Everything was in great shape and very clean. Very impressed with the attention to detail in the housekeeping and maintenance.

It is definitely a different decor then BCV. I think the darker colors help maintain VWL appearance. The darker colors were cozier, but a couple afternoons I noticed that the lack of sun shining in the room in the late afternoon (we had wonderful morning sun) made it a little to dark for ‘being in Florida’. Most likely the other side of the building gets that afternoon sun. Another difference from BCV is the door to the second bedroom next to the TV. This was sort of a love hate thing for me. I loved having the girls feel closer to us in the living room, but with that closeness we had to be concerned about making too much noise and waking them (they didn’t like the door closed all the way). That dedicated 2 bedroom had a ton of space in the second bedroom! Also, the beds got a thumbs up from our family.

The transportation seemed good. We took the bus to MK a couple times and never had to wait too long. The boats were fun and nice way to travel. I felt it was was a good thing that I had researched the boat system before we left, to know what boats were going in what direction. We went to the HDDR one night and used the little boat getting back just in time to see the EWP. Very memorable evening. Having the trail to FW was very nice. We rented a surry bike and gave that a try. The girls thought that was a hoot.

We did no swimming while we were at VWL. The main pool was closed during our stay, which we were aware of before the trip, but it was very cold so there were no tears shed. The construction fences did detract from the feel of the courtyard and did make going to the boats a bit longer. I would like to have experienced the pool area.:sad1:

The resort is beautiful and extremely well themed with well care for villas. The views of a lake and trees gives a sense of calmness. It was very hard to pack up and leave VWL after 4 nights, we really wanted to stay the whole week :thumbsup2 . The closeness to FW, CR and MK added some great options. I do wonder if we would have the same opinion if we had stayed the whole week at VWL. Perhaps there wouldn’t have been enough activities for the girls for the week and the need to bus it to Epcot and MGM as well.

BWV – Room 4004/4006

We knew that staying at BWV would have a downside with the self-parking... and it was. We were able to find spots each time but it was a search and farther away from the resort then we would have liked (spoiled by BCV). On check-in I was hoping for a pool view room. Thought that wouldn’t be too difficult at BWV. When I was given the number, I knew right where it was, even though I had never walked down the hallways of BWV. Waaaayy at the end! I asked…the CM went to the back …'no'. No problem.

Here is our view overlooking the croquet lawn…. (and yes you can play croquet on the croquet lawn – and we did!)
2ch6otg.jpg

to the left..
30c3x1y.jpg

to the right next to the service area for jellyrolls… (the trucks roll in at 5:30am!)
2yz0k60.jpg

Yes the hallway was long. The resort was large and really seemed like your experience would be totally different in the different sections. Our view was fine, but looking at a hotel is different then looking at a lake. The girls liked watching the boats. Other then the distance to the pool the only other real negative is the closeness to the service area of jellyrolls. The garbage truck rolls in around 5am. It didn’t bother me, but it woke DH every day.

Now for the room cleanliness report: The room was clean. However it didn’t seem as well maintained as VWL. The drapes were worn and torn and the balcony door didn’t close very tight. Nothing major just the detail in the fit and finish in a few places. One question to BWV owners: Were all those patterns and colors with the original decorating plan?

This is the first time we had a lock-off. No problem for the 4 of us. Our little one is a kicker and our older one had difficulties sleeping so they need their own beds, hence the 2 bedroom. We had one of the new sleeper sofas…
2jesbjq.jpg

Our DD5 gave it a thumbs up (for what ever that is worth!). The connecting door was near the TV here as well and at this point I decided I liked it here. I was a little concerned about the connecting door with a lock-off. If the girls closed their side of the door I wouldn’t be able to get to them quickly since there is no door knob on the other side of the door. Or if I closed our side at bed time then they couldn’t reach us. Since we didn't really need to close the door we just put the dead bolt out so the door wouldn’t closed completely and just left it slightly ajar.

I think the location is the best of any DVC. Easy walking distance to two parks! No buses needed. So many activities within an easy reach. The community hall was a hit with DD11. Many games of air hockey were played. Having the mini-golf right next door was great! DD11 played 4 times! The boardwalk performers were fun too. The pool and pool bar were great (however I agree with others and wish there were a couple food options at the bar). The only restaurant on the boardwalk that we ate was Big River on the Boardwalk. I had heard so-so reviews, but we actually liked it (DH likes his beer).

Although we didn’t hit the room lottery, we enjoyed our time at BWV. With so many things to do right at the resort it made it a fun time. I could see the BWV keeping our family busy for many nights

One lesson we did learn is that we don’t want to do a split trip again. We want to settle in for the duration. When I asked my family which one (BWV or VWL), the family should stay in for a week+ vacation there were mixed results. DH and DD5 said VWL, and DD11 and I said BWV. DH still prefers the BCV above all else. I like all three so far. Hummm... choices! I guess I have a year to figure it out! Next year is VB!

Great review, thanks! Glad you had an enjoyable time. We stayed at the WL in November and can't wait to try the Villas as we are new DVC owners. Looking forward to your BWV review-since we haven't stayed there either!! We will be staying at your "home" resort this week, but sadly, only for one night.

Blakely

Thanks for the reports, we're staying at VWL in May. I have 2 boys about the same age as yours, also do the 2br because they each need their own beds. I have wondered about BWV since the 2br are lock-offs and DH has read some of the threads about the room conditions at BWV. I would like to try all the resorts, but they all loved SSR(not thrilled the waitlist came through for VWL).

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Great photos of the views from your balconies!

Thanks for the great trip report, loved the photos. I always feel like we should try the WLV but I have a hard time giving up my BWV. Thanks for your opinion.

Enjoyed reading your trip report. We will be at VWL in May (dedicated 2BR also) and are looking forward to it. We haven't stayed at BWV in years, but would like to try it again. I think my kids would feel the same as your DD11 and love all the activities (especially Community Hall).

So far we have stayed in the following DVC resorts VWL, BCV, BWV, and OKW! We found each one has it's own "personality"! While I personally prefer BCV, VWL, & OKW....DH really like BWV! We go down approx. 4 times a year (DD 24 lives in Orlando, and works for WDW!)...We try not to do the same DVC resort two times in a row, but sometimes it can't be helped...especially if it F&W time or Christmas time....BCV & BWV fill up quite fast during F&W, and the same is true about VWL at Christmas! OKW, although much larger than our three "homes", is absolutely beautiful and peaceful. We have been lucky and managed to get rooms very close to the HH twice now (the first time we were out in the boonies...but still had a great time)!

We had a dedicated 2 bedroom at VWL in Oct. Our view looked just the same. We were on the 5th floor. I have only stayed at BCV's one day in a one bedroom, it was awesome. Totally different. Loved your report.

Very nice reports! :thumbsup2

I was curious to see what a BCV devotee would think of VWL. To me, those two resorts are polar opposites in the way of decor and I could certainly see someone who loves BCV not caring as much for VWL's decor. But I like the way you state your opinion and still are open enough to the new experiences to find the good in all your situations.

One lesson we did learn is that we don’t want to do a split trip again.
With this we wholeheartedly agree. ::yes::

Thanks for sharing your impressions and photos! :)

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Thanks for the great reviews. We love both resorts, and it's great to have so many wonderful choices!

To me, those two resorts are polar opposites in the way of decor and I could certainly see someone who loves BCV not caring as much for VWL's decor.

The decor are very different but I think overall the resorts are similar in many ways, the size imparts a intimate feeling and the location tucked away next to a hotel adds some calmness, yet access to amenities. I have always liked the VWL decor but wasn't sure if I would like it on my 'get out of the snow and gray' Feb trip to Florida. I did end up liking it. I think if it wasn't for the community hall/mini-golf at the BWV, VWL would have been the winner (for us).

Thanks for the great report! We were there the same week at the BWV - in Room 5001, so I know what you mean about those hallways! (However, the boardwalk view made up for the walk.) The Boardwalk really is a great location and my DH loves the 5 minute walk to Epcot (his favorite park). I really enjoyed BWV too, but I did miss VWL, which is my personal favorite. Oh well - we'll be there in December.

One of the great things about DVC is the ability to try out different resorts - each one is a different experience.

Thanks for the pics and informative trip report:thumbsup2

Being a new owner....I love to hear everyones perspective...
I want to try them all...DVC...
as well as every other resort:goodvibes
Kerri

thanks for the trip reports! being owners at BWV, we can relate to everything that you mentioned - both the pros and the cons. the 3 most important things to us about BWV is location, location and location!

we've never stayed at VWL - although we would love to...we did stay at the WL a couple of thanksgivings ago, and thought it was spectacular. we had an awesome view in the center of the courtyard overlooking the pool and the lake beyond.

we just bought our BWV points a year ago and debated long and hard b/w these two resorts. undoubtedly - our first add-on will be at the VWL! thanks again for your insight...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter