A Disney proposal that isn't over the top?

bellyrunnersix

Now Approaching, Mickey's Star Traders
Hey folks, yet ANOTHER topic about proposal ideas but I would appreciate any ideas you all have!

We are going to be at WDW in a few weeks and the ring is ready but the proposal is not. :scared:

She is not into crowds, doesn't really want the restaurant proposal, does not care about pictures and, well, I'm a student and not making money hand over fist. So the usual idea of Main Street in front of the castle is already out of the question as are V&A's/California Grill/fireworks cruise/etc.

I am looking for quieter, off the beaten path ideas that do not cost much, if any, money. We are going to Epcot and AK this time around.

I originally wanted to do it on the Poly beach in the early morning after breakfast at Kona on our first day (staying elsewhere) but she wants to save Kona for our last day.

I only have two so-so ideas now.

The first is by the koi pond by Katsura Grill because it is quiet and we both enjoy the Japan pavilion.

The other is while riding Spaceship Earth once we reach the moon. I'm leaning towards this after listening to a podcast in which a couple got engaged at the Haunted Mansion and the CMs went all out for them after he spoke to concierge at their resort. I worry though that the moon scene is a little too loud and poorly lit...and too cheesy?

What do you wonderful folks think? Any ideas? :thanks:

Last edited:

I got proposed to on Poly beach and I must say it is really amazing! The staff went all out for us as well at Trader Sams when we went there for a celebratory drink afterwards (my parents alerted them we would be coming). You could maybe go there to watch fireworks one night before your reservation the last day?

Another option would be in AK- there is this perfect spot that overlooks the back side of the Tree of Life, and it has a bunch of red tables and chairs in it. It's actually my favorite spot in all of AK, since its hardly ever busy and gives you a great view of the tree! I believe its midway between the walk between Asia & Africa, right near the bird show (I uploaded a photo I took of it this past January for reference!).

AK proposal spot.JPG

Or I do like your idea of the Japan pavilion! It is really dark on Spaceship Earth at that part your referencing, but it is pretty and after the narrator says "on this our spaceship Earth!" it's just music playing so it could work. Whatever you end up choosing will be great but I just had to add my two cents about Poly beach since that's where I got engaged!!

Last edited:
I would also suggest the hedge maze in the U.K.

Hmm, that is a favorite spot of ours although if I did it while The British Revolution was playing she'd probably kill me (after finishing her drink).

I got proposed to on Poly beach and I must say it is really amazing! The staff went all out for us as well at Trader Sams when we went there for a celebratory drink afterwards (my parents alerted them we would be coming). You could maybe go there to watch fireworks one night before your reservation the last day?

We both love Trader Sam's, already have one story from there. Waiting until the evening after a day in the park is going to be tough.

We get in super early on arrival and probably won't get to check into our room until after. Should I covert the ring through Epcot all day or do the resorts have a more secure area for holding certain items?

What is her favourite place in WDW?

The few places are SSE, the Poly (despite never staying there :o), the Coronado, La Cava del Tequila, and the Rose and Crown Pub.

I would just try to keep it covert! I don’t think the resorts have somewhere super safe you could keep the luggage other than the regular bell stand, and actually on our wedding trip I went back into the one at Boardwalk to get something out of a bag we had them holding for us while we took our family portraits, so that shows you how secure it really is lol although I’m SURE it would be fine if you did go that route, I just personally would probably want to keep something like that as close to my physical self as possible!

My now husband proposed at Picture Point at the Grand Floridian behind the Wedding Pavilion. It was night time right before we had dinner reservations at Narcoossee's. There were rose bushes and Cinderella's Castle wayyyy across the lake. So sweet. If you decide to propose on a weekday, chances are no one will be around. I don't mind crowds but my DH was anxious enough and felt a lot better that it was just us. Good luck!

Maybe stop for drinks over at Port Orleans and walk down to the waterfront? There are so many beautiful resorts with gorgeous restaurants or beaches. If she loves Poly and you can manage to hang in there until the last day, an early morning proposal would be sooooooo cool. I don't blame you for not wanting that ring to burn a hole in your pocket all week though! Personally, I'm already engaged, but had I had a Disney proposal :p I would have loved either a resort/beach location or my favorite ride (Haunted Mansion). If she has a favorite ride that could be really cool, I would use a fake ring though just in case, and depending on the ride you could come away with a pic of the big moment! Good luck!

Our friends got engaged... on a walking path at POR, he was going to do it at dinner at CG... but he said that moment was just perfect... We helped another couple get engaged when the photographer did not show up, in Epcot in France over railing over looking the canal... We saw another couple get engaged, in Mexico just past the pavilion/ pyramid sometimes there is a character meet and greet there... but mostly its empty... On and over in Canada is a good spot up the stairs, nice little spot back there...

AK has lots of off the main path spots... Walk back behind Flametree there are a lot of tables over looking the water... nice area when not prime time meal time.

If you want to do it your 1st day... I would go with that...this way you both can really celebrate and be present for the whole trip... instead of you being distracted worrying about the proposal...

Take a monorail ride around the hotels, and "go exploring" find a spot and just go for it...

Best wishes... and pixie dust...

Congrats to you guys!
I second the suggestion of a Haunted Mansion proposal. Or the Terrace of Tower of Terror at dusk or evening. I love that little area.

If you want something a little more ...cheery...I really like some of the little enclaves around Cinderella's Castle where there are less people and pretty decor. Perhaps the drawbridge of Be Our Guest, as it's such a romantic place.

The poly beach sounds lovely. Or the grounds of the Grand Floridian could be super romantic. Or even walking back to your resort after a long day and evening in the parks when your feet hurt. :) So excited for you.

My Dh (of almost 18 years now) had no plan but knew he had to give me my ring at WDW. He made us stop at World of Disney for a fanny pack (later I found out that he was concerned that I would notice a ring box in his pocket!) and then spent the morning at DHS.

We had planned to spend the rest of the day at MK and were meeting his parents at Cinderella’s Castle for dinner that night. As we were standing on the dock waiting for the ferry from the Transportation Center, I got all teary eyed seeing the castle and he knew he had to figure something out at MK.

I am like your girlfriend and don’t like being the center of attention, so dh was looking hard for a quiet space. We first came upon the grotto where Belle held story time. He feigned being tired and wanting to sit for a while and rest...I told him that I didn’t think we were allowed to be there (it was partially roped off). As we continued on the path, the next place we came upon was Cinderella’s Wishing Well. I asked him if he wanted to sit there...after looking around and seeing no one, he quickly agreed.

Next he asked me if I wanted to make a wish and gave me a penny. As I looked in it and complained about the low water level, he dug the ring box out and when I turned around he was on one knee. :-) He then asked me, “Is this what you wished for.” <3

18 years and two kids later, we return to Cindy’s well every visit and take a family photo there. It is a pretty happy tradition. When we went to Disneyland last year we took pictures at Snow White’s well.

Last edited:
Hey folks, yet ANOTHER topic about proposal ideas but I would appreciate any ideas you all have!

We are going to be at WDW in a few weeks and the ring is ready but the proposal is not. :scared:

She is not into crowds, doesn't really want the restaurant proposal, does not care about pictures and, well, I'm a student and not making money hand over fist. So the usual idea of Main Street in front of the castle is already out of the question as are V&A's/California Grill/fireworks cruise/etc.

I am looking for quieter, off the beaten path ideas that do not cost much, if any, money. We are going to Epcot and AK this time around.

I originally wanted to do it on the Poly beach in the early morning after breakfast at Kona on our first day (staying elsewhere) but she wants to save Kona for our last day.

The first is by the koi pond by Katsura Grill because it is quiet and we both enjoy the Japan pavilion.

The other is while riding Spaceship Earth once we reach the moon. I'm leaning towards this after listening to a podcast in which a couple got engaged at the Haunted Mansion and the CMs went all out for them after he spoke to concierge at their resort. I worry though that the moon scene is a little too loud and poorly lit...and too cheesy?

On Reddit, there's a thread where the guy set this up with his family/friends and one of the sketch artists. The family/friends hid around the corner, and the guy convinced the soon to be finance to stop at the sketch artist. The SA drew a picture of the guy proposing to the soon to be.

My Dh (of almost 18 years now) had no plan but knew he had to give me my ring at WDW. He made us stop at World of Disney for a fanny pack (later I found out that he was concerned that I would notice a ring box in his pocket!) and then spent the morning at DHS.

We had planned to spend the rest of the day at MK and were meeting his parents at Cinderella’s Castle for dinner that night. As we were standing on the dock waiting for the ferry from the Transportation Center, I got all teary eyed seeing the castle and he knew he had to figure something out at MK.

I am like your girlfriend and don’t like being the center of attention, so dh was looking hard for a quiet space. We first came upon the grotto where Belle held story time. He feigned being tired and wanting to sit for a while and rest...I told him that I didn’t think we were allowed to be there (it was partially roped off). As we continued on the path, the next place we came upon was Cinderella’s Wishing Well. I asked him if he wanted to sit there...after looking around and seeing no one, he quickly agreed.

Next he asked me if I wanted to make a wish and gave me a penny. As I looked in it and complained about the low water level, he dug the ring box out and when I turned around he was on one knee. :-) He then asked me, “Is this what you wished for.” <3

18 years and two kids later, we return to Cindy’s well every visit and take a family photo there. It is a pretty happy tradition. When we went to Disneyland last year we took pictures at Snow White’s well.
That’s the sweetest thing ever!

I'm in a similar situation and also got a girlfriend who doesn't like a busy place for it (so I will be back here in a couple of months :P ). I was thinking about renting a boat at Yachtclub or doing a guided thing with one of the boats, i thought it was suprisingly cheap(ish); day cruise around the world (with a trip to Epcot's World Showcase) is 150 USD (still expensive but not so much as I expected). Some other places I got in mind were Animal Kingdom Lodge (where we will be staying) in somewhere a bit secluded close to the savannah, Carolwood Pacific Railroad Room (also because my girlfriend is a bit into trains), Contemporary Resort Lounge (with a view of Magic Kingdom), the pier near the lighthouse at Yacht Club, near the Geyser at Wilderness Lodge. Some hotels have really beautiful places which are a lot less crowed than the parks I presumed but I have to admit I have never visited them yet.

DO A SCAVENGER HUNT!! If she's not into crowds, just make it for the two of you and end it somewhere that's special for y'all. :)

My brother-in-law, Joe, proposed to my sister at MK. When they were dating, and he knew he was going to ask her to marry him, he just went to Magic Kingdom by himself and looked for a cast member in Adventureland (her favorite). He met Gerald (who was AMAZINGLY organized and SUPER helpful!) and just said, "Hey, my name is Joe, I want to propose to my girlfriend here, who do I need to see?" Turns out Gerald was the one to see! He and Joe planned everything. My sister and I drove up, just us, and she was thinking we'd just have some sister time to ourselves that morning and Joe would join her later. I was really proud of the dude, he did well. :) I think whatever you do, as long as it has elements that are special to you two, she'll LOVE it! Good luck and have fun! This is so exciting!

Edit: These services didn't cost him anything. Disney went above and beyond and really made the day spectacular. I asked Joe later how much they charged him, and he just laughed and said, "Nothing! Can you believe it??" Yay for Disney magic! <3

Last edited:

We actually just got engaged last October in WDW. We were staying at the Polynesian and walked to the Grand Floridian to check it out. We had to pass by the wedding pavilion and he popped the question at picture point outside the wedding pavilion. (There’s a rose archway that you can see the castle through) It was a great spot for us. I hate extra attention and wouldn’t have enjoyed a public proposal. We were lucky there wasn’t a wedding scheduled that day otherwise we probably wouldn’t have been allowed to go there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!